Death Note is Ruined

Fanboys' Guide to the Goddess' Heart

Chapter Three: Death Note is Ruined

 

“Lee Soo-man Sajangnim said we’re going to film a CF.”

 

“CF? For whom?”

 

“Etude House.”

 

“With who?”

 

“2ne1’s Park Sandara.”

 

Min-ho was too preoccupied with his social media accounts that he did not hear SHINee leader Onew’s statement. The next thing he knew was his body being pushed against the couch and his Pepero sticks flying away from him. Under normal circumstances, he would’ve flipped out on their maknae, Taemin, but he was too stunned at the news that they’d be doing a CF with Sandara Park.

 

Wae, Onew hyung, are you absolutely sure about the CF?”

 

Ne, Taemin. Etude wanted us to have a CF with their female endorser. And Lee Soo-man Sajangnim actually agreed even if Sandara Park-ssi is from YG.”

 

SHINee was a typical KPOP male group—they sing, they dance, they rap, they act, and they fanboy. It may not be evident among the fans that most of SHINee were fans, or BLACKJACKS, of 2ne1, but they were. Specifically, they're fans of one certain visual and fresh vocal. Taemin’s hidden screen captures on his phone, Ki-bum’s complete set of 2ne1 albums with autographs, Onew’s creepy giggles when he watches said girl group’s guesting on TV shows, and downloaded videos of all of 2ne1 TV in Jonghyun’s laptop were proof enough in Min-ho’s opinion.

 

One time, Min-ho tried to get in Jonghyun’s laptop out of morbid curiosity—morbid because Jonghyun is one creative torturer and sadist, and his dignity is on the line once Jonghyun finds out that he touched his things or even thought of touching them. But Min-ho was nothing if not resourceful. The laptop was so easy to get into that it’s not even funny—the password’s ‘Daraismine’, with the vowels exchanged in characters and numbers.

 

Min-ho was horrified to see that almost all folders in the laptop were named after the visual of 2ne1—even the said visual’s cat and ‘dog-poop’ brother Thunder from MBLAQ. Apparently, obsession over anything with Park Sandara in it ran rampant among the members of SHINee. He often wondered what would happen if Park Sandara did work with them.

 

His question would be answered in a week.

 

SHINee’s visual and main rapper could do nothing to put s at ease. The news of Park Sandara’s CF with them fueled the fire within the members, making them uncontrollable, overexcited, and frantic. Onew was the leader but Min-ho discovered that Onew, to his utmost disbelief, was the most fanatic. And that verdict was after Jonghyun’s infamous Sandara Park-themed laptop.

 

Six days had passed slowly for the fanboys and too quickly for the poor Min-ho. Min-ho could only shake his head as the four members of SHINee, including their respected and dignified leader, beg Lee Soo-man Sajangnim to move the CF shoot earlier. He was thankful that Sajangnim was in the mood to tolerate their eccentricities, promising them that the CF would be the Etude CF that they’d never forget. That statement did not douse the fire—it fueled the fire into a raging inferno.

 

SHINee was determined, powered, and too curious about the promise of “the best Etude CF ever”.

 

SM Sajangnim thought everything must be a secret before the filming starts.

 

That’s bad for the fanboys—worse for Min-ho.

 

He knew s—if they’re impatient, they’re bored. And if they’re bored, they’re insufferable. And if they’re insufferable, they’re going to look for someone to pull into their boredom—that unfortunate someone happened to be Taemin’s best friend, Kai from EXO.

 

Min-ho needed to be patient with s, but Kai didn’t try to be patient. He smacked Taemin’s face when he bulldozed Kai on the side. “Yah, Taemin! Knock it off, will you? Why are you even like this?”

 

“We’re going to have a CF shooting tomorrow! And I'm so nervous my stomach is turning!”

 

Aigoo—it’s just a CF! It's not like you've never done it before!”

 

That did it.

 

Taemin threw Kai a glare. “Just—Just a CF? It’s a CF with Sandara Park, that’s why! Why, Kim Jong In, don’t you dare say—“ Beside Taemin, Ki-bum, Jonghyun, and Onew nodded, expressions serious.

 

Min-ho was proud to admit that he’s the second most observant member of the group, right below Onew. But Onew’s still incapacitated with obsessive fanboy disorder so he’s the next best thing, really.

 

Kai’s expression after Taemin announced the collaboration was strange familiar. But it was at the tip of his tongue. He just watched as Kai’s expression turned to shock.

 

Noon—Uh, Sandara Park-ssi will be collaborating with you? Why would Lee Soo-man Sajangnim allow ajussi men like you to collaborate with someone like Sandara Park-ssi?

 

His disbelief was met with angry yells from the fanboys. In the end, Kai begged Taemin and Onew to let EXO join their film shooting as supporters of SHINee, and even as extras if they need more handsome boys to play a role in the CF shooting. Taemin agreed immediately, while Onew, Jonghyun, and Ki-bum vehemently denied them. It took Kai two hours to convince them, and that only happened after they made a counteroffer for Kai for their approval—Kyungsoo’s cooking for a week and a set of Baekhyun’s eyeliners, both of which are hard to get knowing how the two EXO members love cooking for themselves and collecting eyeliners.

 

After agreeing to the deal, Kai immediately left their apartment, fearing the reaction of his hyungs with sneaking out of the apartment and with the bargain that he agreed with SHINee sunbaes.

 

He was right to fear their reaction.

 

But for a different reason altogether.

 

“What? They’re going to do what with who?”

 

Kai stared at Kris, openmouthed. Kris, whose voice was complimented for its “mature, deep, and very cool tone”, shrieked in an ear shattering pitch and caused Lay, who was deeply asleep in the farthest room, to wake up and yell curses for the “unjust wake-up call” and Xiumin to go out of the bathroom with only a towel around his waist and shampoo suds in his hair.

 

“Uh, hyung—“

 

Kai feared that his hyung had gone off the deep end. His eyes were popped open as he grabbed the dancing machine’s shoulders. “Will you repeat that again? I think I’ve gone deaf for a second.”

 

Kai was about to say the names Sandara Park and SHINee when the front door opened and in came the rest of EXO, carrying bubble teas and shopping bags, as they laughed and joked with each other. It was their break after the tiring comeback and Lee Soo-man Sajangnim gave them a week-vacation for winning Inkigayo.

 

They were so happy that nothing could ruin their mood.

 

Baekhyun was the first to see his Kris hyung shaking poor Kai like a madman. Frightened for the state of Kai’s mind, he and Chen grabbed Kris hyung away from the pale dancing machine. Suho, Sehun and Luhan were set out to talk to Kris. Chanyeol and Tao sipped on their bubble teas, engrossed at the drama. Kyungsoo went into the kitchens to place the snacks he bought.

 

“Yah, Kris hyung! Why are you rattling Kai’s brains?”

 

“Because he just said that SHINee will be doing a CF with Dara noona! Tomorrow!”

 

BANG! Kai yelped as the sound of something hard hitting the floor. He didn’t have the time to walk away and check the kitchens where the sound came from because everyone turned to stare at him questioningly.

 

EXO’s main dancer was placed on the “seat of doom”. Literally. Chanyeol and Xiumin, who is completely dressed, much to his relief, each grabbed an arm and dragged him to the only seat in the middle of the room. The rest of EXO members sat around him, either on the couches or on the floor, but that didn’t matter to Kai.

 

What mattered most was the interrogation part. Kai relaxed in his seat because knowing s’ love for their “goddess”, as dubbed by Chanyeol and Tao, they’d be very thorough in the questioning.

 

Ne, Etude House wanted a CF from both of their endorsers.”

 

“When?”

 

“They told me it’s happening tomorrow morning.”

 

“What’s the scene specifically?”

 

“They did not say who’s playing who in the CF. But SHINee said that Dara noona will be the main attraction and they’ll be the ones enamored by her.”

 

Omo, this is so not good!”

 

“You said, “They’ll be enamored by her”. Does the scene portray any skinship?”

 

Suho’s whispered question brought out so many negative reactions—the scariest one came from EXO’s gentlest member, Lay. He was smiling creepily, imagining the gouging-SHINee’s-eyes-out-with-his-fancy-unicorn-horn scene with a smile.

 

Kai shrugged. “Uh, they didn’t say anything more about the scene.”

 

“But do they look happy when they said that noona will be part of the CF?”

 

Ne, very happy. In fact, they’re so happy that Min-ho hyung became SHINee’s leader overnight. And Min-ho hyung doesn’t need to be the leader because Onew hyung is so responsible. Onew hyung is as cool as Kris hyung and the fact that he’s the one who refused the most when I asked EXO to be there proved that he’s Dara noona’s fanboy.”

 

Kai was sure that the news of him asking SHINee to bring EXO to the CF shooting would increase his brownie points with the other members, thus his inevitable release from the interrogation. But their one-track mind focused on a more pressing issue, much to Kai’s resignation.

 

“Fanboy!”

 

Xiumin was a reliable guy. Being one of the oldest EXO members, he needed to be a pillar, a dependable member to ask comfort from. Usually, he comforts Tao the panda when he misses his family, when he’s forced to watch horror movies with the group or when there’s no Gucci boutiques in the vicinity. Sehun gets support from Suho and Luhan. Kai gets support from everyone because he required the least maintenance. But Tao, Sehun, and Kai are the maknaes and he’s one of the hyungs—even if the height difference and facial structure contradict the statement— so it’s written in a hyung’s job description.

 

Xiumin never thought he’d comfort the hyung line, though.

 

Chaos made an unwelcome visit in their dorm. The knowledge of one of their sunbaes being a fanboy of their noona did not sit well with the members. Kyungsoo, who just came out of the kitchen, was holding an ice pack to his forehead and wincing repeatedly. Tao, Sehun, and Chanyeol were talking quietly with each other, faces serious. Chen, Lay, and Baekhyun were writing something on a piece of paper. Kai was still seated in the middle of the room, furiously texting on his phone.

 

Xiumin was quiet in his seat, as well as Suho, Kris, and Luhan.

 

Omo—no!

 

Wae, Kai, what’s the problem?”

 

“Min-ho hyung texted me. He said I’m only allowed to bring three more EXO members.”

 

This won’t end well, Xiumin thought as he watched everyone fight for the three coveted companions of Kai to Dara noona’s CF shooting. His lucky stars were watching out for him when Kai picked him as one of the companions, much to the others’ disappointment. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were the other two companions. His reasons were unknown to him until he admitted the bargain.

 

Poor Kyungsoo. Poor Baekhyun.

 

Xiumin was about to stand up and smack Kai on the head for being stupid to be conned to such bargain at the expense of the two, but Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were too excited that they agreed wholeheartedly. Baekhyun even ran to his room and brought out a new set of eyeliners and handed it over to a stunned Kai.

 

EXO’s Eyeliner Prince beamed. “Yah, that was smart of you Kai! At least you agreed with only a set, and not my most beloved set! I have eleven sets, so that’s no problem for me!”

 

Eleven sets of eyeliners. I don’t know what to think anymore, Xiumin sighed.

 

Kyungsoo nodded determinedly. “I can cook for five more people, Kai. Cooking by batches is easier than cooking for each member. Good call, Kai.”

 

Suho stood up. “Ne, it’s decided then. Xiumin hyung, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo will accompany Kai tomorrow.”

 

Kris patted Kai on the shoulder. “Just have fun at the CF shooting, and tell Dara noona we said hi.”

 

Kai nodded. “We’ll do.”

 

Lay, who saw the sad expression on the giant’s face, smiled in comfort. “Yah, Chanyeol, no need to be disheartened! It’s just Onew hyung who’s the fanboy, and not all SHINee sunbaes.”

 

Chanyeol whispered, "I hope so."

 

Lay watched the others go their rooms to turn in for the night and went to the kitchen to heat their supposed dinner just in case they get hungry later. He can’t deny that he’s disappointed because he was not chosen by Kai to accompany him tomorrow. He, too, wants to see his noona work in a CF, to see her in her environment, to stay behind the scenes and watch with his own eyes and not in the TV.

 

Lay knew himself well, and what he was feeling for someone he barely knows is irrational and impossible—but at the same time, it was there, slowly growing into something that he knew he must not nurture. He didn’t want discord among EXO members. His hyungs were on the same page that he was in; even the maknaes were feeling something different. He knew it but they don’t know it.

 

He knew himself well.

 

He’d let them take the spotlight and he’d stay in the background.

 

Lay sighed softly as he made his way into his and Kris hyung’s room.

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo was nervous—very nervous. He was so nervous that he forgot to put on his left shoe and to turn off the faucet in the bathroom. He forgot to wake Lay hyung up so someone can cook breakfast. Oh, and he also forgot to leave the dorm with his shirt in place.

 

It took a while before Baekhyun stopped laughing at Kyungsoo’s predicament. Kai, who was not a morning person, was too busy drinking coffee with Xiumin in the dining table. Without the vigilant eyes of Suho, Kai got his third taste of caffeine for six months.

 

They were waiting for their SHINee sunbaes to fetch them. Kai was in contact with Taemin and Jonghyun the rest of the night to plan their escapade for tomorrow. Onew was still sore with the presence of EXO, which Kai did not understand until Xiumin “kindly” reminded him that the SHINee leader is like Chanyeol when fanboy-ing: possessive and uncontrollable.

 

Baekhyun, who was listening to Xiumin’s explanation on Onew’s newfound fanboy tendencies, was apprehensive of the CF filming. His hunches were rarely wrong so he feared that the CF would be a lot more than they’re ready for.

 

The ride with SHINee was quiet because it was too early to cause any ruckus so they caught some sleep along the way. The only ones who were awake were Min-ho and Xiumin, and both were excited to see 2ne1’s visual for different reasons.

 

Or Xiumin hoped to be a different reason because if it is—

 

The director greeted them as soon as they arrived on the set. He was surprised at the four new additions but did not ask why four EXO members tagged along, and from what he knew about the famous rookie male group of SM, the chosen members were too random to be together. The director just shrugged it off and ushered SHINee to their dressing room to prepare.

 

EXO was left to roam around the set, looking around the pink-themed classroom set.

 

“Kyungsoo? Baekhyun?”

 

Dara looked adorable with her ponytail, pink-rimmed glasses, and ribbon tie. The two EXO members knew their noona was cute, but her clothes accentuated her young face. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun were tongue-tied.

 

“Oh, and Kai? Xiumin? Wait, are you all here?”

 

Kai smiled at the petite girl, slightly dazed. “To support you, of course!”

 

“Oh! That’s nice of you, Kai! But you should support your SHINee sunbaes as well.”

 

Their chat was cut off when she was called to the set. EXO watched their goddess noona pay attention to the director. She was smiling and laughing with the delighted director. Xiumin promised to himself that he’d give Kai a great gift for the opportunity.

 

“Uh-oh.”

 

Xiumin turned to the horrified Kai. “Kai, what’s wrong—“

 

He didn’t need to say anything because Jonghyun, who was playing as the professor, was leaning towards their noona and kissed her on the forehead. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun froze in their seats.

 

“And cut! That was some great improvisation, Jonghyun! And Dara-ssi, great acting! Next scene!”

 

Kai could only watch as his Ki-bum hyung, the other SHINee member that he grew close to when they bonded over music, movies, and their uncanny ability in creating not-so-funny jokes, danced in front of his beloved noona and kissed her on her right cheek.

 

He felt betrayed, all of a sudden.

 

To his left, Baekhyun let out a pitiful yelp as the disease-covered lips of Kim Ki-bum touched his noona’s unblemished cheek. He regretted his choice of not learning first-aid because he couldn’t use the excuse of “isolation and treatment of contaminated area” on Dara noona.

 

Kyungsoo—poor, poor Kyungsoo, the ever-softhearted Kyungsoo, debated on unleashing his alter ego Satansoo on the evil Key. He weighed the pros and cons of doing so, and he was ecstatic to realize that the pros outweigh the cons! He was about to stand up and reveal his “annoyed self” to the world when the director cut the scene.

 

As if the scene wasn’t enough, Ki-bum went to Dara and hugged her!

 

Oh, it’s so on, Kyungsoo pushed his sleeve up.

 

“Take five is over! Next scene!”

 

The coffee shop set-up of ‘Kiss Note CF’ was a mockery of Xiumin’s most favorite place in the world. He was a coffee addict and loved to go coffee shops at least four times a week to reminisce or to just be alone for a while and sip on his coffee as he watched people pass by and go on with their lives. Being in a coffee shop often turned him into a poet.

 

How can the stars find peace in the heavens if their most beloved coffee lover witnessed his noona about to be kissed in a coffee shop, of all the places in this forsaken set?

 

Taemin handed over the girl’s coffee and puckered up his lips for a kiss.

 

At that moment, Kai used his lucky stars and wished for a diversion. Dara’s phone rang and she stood up and left Taemin to kiss the glass windows. All four EXO members breathed deeply, unsettled at the turn of events. They didn’t expect that “enamored,” meant “to kiss the girl on different parts of her face”.

 

Suho hyung was smart to ask that question, probably thinking of all possible meanings behind it.

 

“Okay, second to the last scene everyone! Min-ho-ssi, are you ready?”

 

Ne, director-nim.”

 

EXO didn’t know what to think of the director’s question to their Min-ho hyung. Among the five members of SHINee, he was the most calm when they arrived on the set. And based from Kai’s visit in their apartment, Min-ho hyung was composed and did not act like a headless chicken about to be butchered for entrée.

 

Ne, change of plans. Onew-ssi, we’ll be shooting your part for a while.”

 

“But, director-nim, why can’t I be with Sandara-ssi?”

 

“Because you lack the chemistry that I need and Sandara-ssi and Min-ho-ssi got it.”

 

Onew sulked and couldn’t believe the luck of Min-ho. He’s Sandara Park’s fanboy, not the rapper!

 

Min-ho, on the other hand, hesitantly approached the girl standing behind the cameras. Min-ho rarely see YG Entertainment's only girl group up-close, the sight of 2ne1’s visual even more so. 

 

If 2ne1 members were too protected by BigBang, then Sandara Park is a whole other level.

 

The protection detail running behind the visual and fresh vocal of 2ne1 was outrageous. She may not have noticed the effect she has with other idols, specifically males, but her sunbaes BigBang surely did. She and, in extension, the other 2ne1 members, were protected by BigBang when they’re both attending music shows and awarding nights. There were even rumors that BigBang threatened the stage director to place them near the girls and to arrange the performance time in such a way that they would finish before 2ne1.

 

Min-ho wondered if that rumor is really true.

 

He once saw BigBang's maknae Seungri enter the ladies' dressing room, but not before throwing him a suspicious glare. Rarely was 2ne1 seen conversing with other idol groups, even girl groups, because BigBang was there to get their attention for the whole event.

 

If other female idol groups were met with scrutinizing glares from the members, what more with male groups? 

 

Even if BigBang was not around, they still managed to have more bodyguards than even SNSD!

 

Truly, the members of 2ne1 are Yang Hyun-suk Sajangnim and BigBang’s princesses.

 

And unfortunately, for all fanboys, they were fully aware that Sandara Park looked beautiful enough to be a queen.

 

Min-ho was used to the beauty of female idols in the KPop industry—SM Entertainment is full of ladies and they’re all pretty in their own right. But there is something about 2ne1’s visual and fresh vocal that pulled him in like a force of nature that couldn’t be stopped.

 

She looked up and smiled. Gah, that smile could stop anyone’s heart. He thought.

 

“Ah, Min-ho­-ssi, are you nervous about our scene?”

 

Ne, Sandara-ssi.”

 

She patted his arm, sending volts of electricity up his heart. “Ani, don’t be nervous. Just go with what your instincts are telling you so that the scene will be genuine. In fact, I’ll go with what you’ll do in the scene.”

 

“Oh, you don’t have to—“

 

“I insist. It’s our job to make the CF look great, ne? So whatever you think is right for the scene, I’ll play along. Just don’t make me fall of that slide, eh?”

 

Her enthusiasm was bright and infectious that the serious Min-ho couldn’t help but laugh. “Ne, noona.”

 

She laughed and waved a hand. “Good. And do continue calling me noona—I hate formalities between friends.”

 

Min-ho just had a momentous discovery: Maybe his ideal girl was not so different from s’ ideal girl after all.

 

The director was finished filming the embarrassing shot of Onew tripping over a pink make-up box, much to said idol’s annoyance. Onew glared at the triumphant Jonghyun, Ki-bum, and Taemin.

 

“And action!”

 

Dara climbed up the slide and wrote something on the pink notebook with her lipstick/pen. Frustrated, she threw the lipstick and stood up to leave in tears. She tripped on her feet and was about to fall off the tall slide when an arm wrapped around her.

 

Min-ho stared at her as he remembered her words to him.

 

So whatever you think is right for the scene, I’ll play along.

 

His eyes met her surprised gaze as his lips met hers.

 

“And cut!”

 

Dara approached the frozen EXO members, giddy at the success of the CF and glowing at the praises she garnered from the directors, staff, and her newfound friends in SHINee.

 

“So what do you think of the ‘Kiss Note’ CF?”

 

One thought ran into their heads: Death Note will never be the same again.