In the End

If Only You Knew

YongDdong ah!" Solar was jolted out of her daydream by the use of that all too familiar nickname. She took a deep breath, put a smile on her face and turned around to face Eric.

"Hi Oppa, how have you been?" Solar asked trying to start a conversation.

"I've been good.. You?" Eric answered naturally.

"I'm good too Oppa" but just as she said that her smile faltered. And Eric caught that.

"Something is wrong.. isn't it?" Eric asked tentatively.

"Erm.. what makes you say that?"

"I can tell that you're hiding something. Something you're hesitating to say. You did say you wanted to talk. So just tell me. What is it?"

"Erm.. can we go sit by the beach?" Solar asked to avoid the topic as long as possible.

"... yeah sure." Eric agreed but he was starting to get a bad feeling about this.

They walked silently as they strolled along the beach till they found a place to sit. As she sat down Solar couldn't help but let out a sigh.

"See, I knew something was wrong. Yongddong ah, can you please just talk to me? This is driving me mad"

"Oppa... I.." Solar stopped herself as she felt the tears threatening to fall.

"Oppa I'm sorry" As soon as she said that, her eyes betrayed her and tears started rolling down uncontrollably.

Eric natually moved closer to hug her. "Yongsun ah.. what are you sorry about?" as he asked that question, he wasn't really sure if he wanted to know the answer.

"I'm sorry.. for.. the.. for the hurt I am going to cause you" Solar answered between sobs.

"You're leaving me, aren't you?"

"I don't want to leave you. I just know that this is not the relationship I want to have with you" Solar replied.

"I don't get it" Eric's face spelt hurt and confusion and Solar couldn't bare to look at him but she still spoke.

"I love you oppa, I do. But not the way you do. I want you to be in my life forever but as a friend. You're more than just any friend though. You're my best friend. I'm always so happy when I am with you. You’re compliments always make my day. And we get along so well. What we share is more like a romantic friendship but I realised that I am not in love with you. I realised that I loved the fact that you loved me so much. I knew you meant more to me than any other friend but I confused it to be romantic love."

Solar stopped. Eric had released his hold on her as she said that last sentence. Just having to tell him this was hurting her so much. She knew she couldn't even begin to imagine how much this was hurting him. She carefully turned her her head to look at him and what she saw ripped her heart to shreds.

Eric had tears rolling down his face. She has never seen him cry and it hurt her to think that she was the reason for those tears.

"Who is it" Eric mumbles.

"Who?" Solar asked.

"Who's the one that you're in love with?" Eric manages a little louder.

"... Byul"

"Byul?!"

"Am I the reason for your happiness oppa?"Solar asked suddenly.

"Up until today, yes you have been" Eric replied in a whisper.

Solar didn't miss the sarcasm in his voice but she couldn’t blame him so she just continued.

"Well Byul is mine. I don't want to tell you more. But I just know that she is the one"

".... why did have to give me hope?"

"I.. I'm sorry" Solar didn't know what else to say.

"I love you so much Yongsun-ah. But I wasnt even sure if you liked me. But when you told me that you did, I couldn't have been happier. I believed that I could finally be with the women I loved so much. But In the end, it didn't even matter. Now.. its all over when it barely even started" Eric just looked defeated.

"I know I've hurt you. And I am sorry oppa. But I don't want to lose you. I still need you as my friend. But as much as I want that I wouldn't blame you if you don't want to ever see me again."

"...."

Eric stood up wordlessly. He stared into her eyes like he was searching her soul. Not finding what he was looking for, he turned to walk away. After 2 steps he turned around.

"Does Byul love you back?"

"Yes"

"Have you told her?"

"No"

"Tell her, before it's too late.. Don't break another heart. "

With footsteps as heavy as his heart Eric turned and walked away. Solar could only watch. She just hurt the man who loved her so much. All she could hope for now was that the woman who loved her that much still does. Did she still have a chance?

Her heart heavy with pain, Solar got up. She stared in the direction that Eric left in. All she could wish for was that they could be friends again one day. For now, she knew he needed space.

Eventually, she started to leave. She had one more stop to make before heading home and she wished with all her heart that this time..

"This time, please don't let it end in pain"

And with that last whisper, she got into a cab and headed off. To Moonbyul's apartment.