Memory

If Only You Knew

"Are you talking about Eric And Byul?"

".. wha.. I.. How.. How did you know Unnie?"

"How did I know what? That the other person you were referring to is Byul?"

"That I was talking about myself and yeah that too. How?"

"Hypothetical situation questions are almost always about oneself. And well I've known about Byul's feeling for you for awhile now."

"What? And you didn't tell me?!"

"It isn't something for me to tell Yongsun ah. Plus it was just something I suspected. It's not like she told me or anything"

 

Solar was with her elder sister, Yong Hee, who was back in Korea for a short visit. She was going to head back to England in 3 days and Solar managed to make time to meet with her sister. The timing couldn't have been better. She really needed someone to spill her heart out to. She knew the members were there for her but it just did not feel right to talk to them about this. So shortly after meeting up with her sister she started out by making it sound like a hypothetical situation and tried to make it sound like she was talking about a friend of hers but Yong Hee caught on quite easily.

"Yong, I'm your sister, you should have just asked me directly."

"I know unnie, I just didn't know where to start. I feel so confused all the time now. And with Byul distancing herself from me, I always feel so alone" Solar finished with a huge sigh.

"Don't worry little sis, now that I am here, I will do my best to help. First I need you to walk me through a typical day with Eric and then a day with Byul. And make sure you tell me about how it makes you feel, how whatever they do makes you feel. Okay?"

Solar wasn't really sure how this was going to help but at this point, she was willing to try anything. She couldn't deal with these emotions on her own any longer. She decided to start by talking about Eric.

"I met with Eric Oppa about a week ago. He came to support me while I was promoting Decalcomanie. He wore a nice suit and brought flowers. He's always so caring. He bought us food and even got me a gift. It was a pretty dress. I didn't even put it on and he just claimed that I would look beautiful in it. He's so sweet. I love his compliments. It just feels like he cares so much about me and that makes me trust him a lot. Unfortunately, he had a schedule right after so he had to leave early. I knew that he would call me anyway so it didn't feel so bad. True enough he did call me that night and we talked about our day, just like we used to while filming and he kept showering me with compliments and building my confidence in myself as always. After that, we said our goodnights and went to sleep."

"So you haven't seen him for over a week now?" Yong Hee questioned.

"Yeah but we do text so it's okay"

"Hmm... okay now tell me about Byul"

"The most interaction we've had was yesterday actually, in our waiting room. Hyejin and Wheein were out watching the other groups rehearsals. Byul was actually with them too but she came back early. Her performance outfit was a suit yesterday which she looked amazing in by the way. Anyway, I thought she was going to sit far away from me but she sat right next to me on the couch. I wanted her to put her arm around me like she always does but she didn't. We sat in silence for quite awhile so I tried to tell myself to accept that she wasn't going to talk to me but she shocked me by asking me a question. She asked me if I was tired. She said that the maknaes told her that I didn't sleep well last night. Overwhelmed by the fact that she was talking to me in a private setting all I could do was nod. And then she shocked me again by actually putting her arm around me and telling me to go to sleep. I couldn't help but lean into her embrace. I missed that so much. I never noticed till this rift appeared in our friendship.  She did that a lot at events but it feels different when we're alone. It feels more real. But as she sighed I remembered how much this was hurting her. The pain she was going through. I wanted her to be happy again. I wanted her to smile again. I wanted her to feel happy the moment she saw me, just the way she makes me feel when I see her. I miss that adorable smile of hers. But as much as I knew being around me was emotionally draining for her, I was selfish. I just hugged her back and ended up falling asleep in her embrace".

Solar had been staring out the window as she talking about Moonbyul. So when she was done she turned to look at her sister.

"I think I've figured it out, but I'm not going to tell you directly. I'm just going to help you figure it out for yourself" YongHee said after giving it a little thought.

"And how are you going to help me figure it out Unnie?"

"You said that Eric was wearing a suit, didn't you?" Yonghee suddenly asked without answering Solar.

"Erm yeah his suit was nice, didn't I already mention it earlier Unnie?" Solar answered with a hint of confusion.

"And Byul wore a suit yesterday too?"

"Yeah she did. She always looks hot in suits. And for this album's concept I think it suits her even more with her silver hair"

"So you see her every day but the last time you spoke to Byul was yesterday?"

"Yeah but I miss her already"

"And you saw Eric a week ago?"

"Yeah but like I said, we text so it's fine"

"Alright so Eric is your boyfriend and you love that he cares about you?"

"Yeah he absolutely adores me. He showers me with compliments and takes care of me. I really love that he cares about me that much. He actually told me that I'm the reason he wakes up with a smile on his face."

"And Byul?" Yonghee asked carefully. She had a feeling Solar was going to figure it out anytime now.

"Is the reason I wake up with a smile every day. She's the reason for my happiness" Solar naturally finishes but as soon as she realised what she said her eyes widened. And she remembered Byul's question all those months ago when she was talking about liking Eric.

"Do you want him to be happy or do you want to be the reason for his happiness?"

In that moment she realised she had it all wrong. She did figure out that she was the reason for his happiness and she was happy about it. She thought that it meant that she loved him. But she didn't think about her happiness. The reason for her happiness. It was Byul, not Eric. This amazingly talented and beautiful woman was right in front of her eyes and she was too blind to notice her own feelings for her. Overwhelmed with a mixture of relief and sadness Solar started crying. Yonghee moved closer to give her little sister a hug.

"Unnie why does love have to be so hard? Solar asked between sniffles.

"Because things that are easy aren't worthwhile"

"I thought I would feel better if I figured out who I was in love with but now I'm scared. No longer confused but scared. What if I'm too late? What if I have hurt Byul too much? And god what about Eric. This is going to destroy him. He loves me so much."

"You'll never know until you try Yongsun ah. And as for Eric, staying with him when you don't love him will just hurt him more. It's best to let him go and it's best that you don't take too long to do it"

Solar stayed silent for awhile but eventually let out a big sigh before releasing herself from her sister's embrace.

"I guess you're right Unnie, I shouldn't hurt him any longer."

"Do you need me to give you some space? So that you can call him?"

"Yes, I would like that Unnie"

"Okay if you need me I'll be the the other room"

 

Solar got up and walked to her phone with heavy footsteps. She picked it up and scrolled through her contacts for his number. Yoon Ddong. She felt a tear roll down her cheek as she stopped at his name. All their memories had just flashed through her mind. How happy he was when he was with her. She knew this was going to hurt him and it was tearing her up inside. Nonetheless, she knew it needed to be done so with a deep breath, she hit dial.

"Hello yongddong"

"...."

Solar lost her cool when she heard him use that nickname. Tears started rolling down her cheek and she couldn't bring herself to speak.

"Yongsun ah you there? Is something wrong"

Solar didn't want him to know that something was wrong. She moved her phone away, took a few deep breaths and finally spoke.

"Oppa, are you free tomorrow?"

Solar's voice came out a little shaky but Eric didn't seem to notice.

"Actually yeah I am. Why? Are you? Do you want to meet up? I can arrange for somewhere private."

The happiness and excitement in Eric's voice just made Solar feel worse but she needed talk to him and it had to be in person.

"Yes Oppa, I am. And we need to talk."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: I think you guys should know by now the direction my story is going in. This was my plan from the beginning so I apologise if any of you ddongie couple fans feel cheated. I have half a  mind to do an alternate plot where she chooses Eric instead but that might take a while. So for now..

Read, Comment and Subscribe! Thank you ^_^

~ThisIsWhyINeedYou