Debt 5: The Folder

Indebted to Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Is it more than you dreamed of?", Tao whispers in my ears, making my skin crawl with a sensation I never felt before. "I can make your dreams come true for...", Tao begins, nuzzling his nose against mines, making my breathing more rigid then it already is. "...a price." Right before my eyes, his face stiffens as hard as a rock and stares at me with deadpan eyes. "Just tell me. Who are you really?"

"W-What do you mean?", I stutter a little. "Shouldn't I be the one asking the questions around here?" To be honest I am pretty scared out of my mind since I have to idea what possessed Tao to come in my apartment unannounced.

"Of course", he lightly chuckles as he slowly gets off of me. "I knew you were different, but to grab me with you and have the guts to ask me a question in the mist of all this... May be I should have sat you down for dinner instead. Talk one to one. Would that have been more intimidating to you?"

Regaining my position off the bed, I quickly scan my bedroom to see if anyone else is going to pop up for a surprise. "How would you feel if I came at you like the way you did?", I question back. "Why are you here, Tao?"

"True, true. The person would most likely answer to my men before even reaching me", Tao calmly says. "Let's get to the chase, shall we? Here in this folder contains some answers, but also some mysterious at the same time. I was hoping we can read them together."

He snuck into my apartment because of whatever is in the folder? I was right not to trust him. Tao seems like he holds a very special place at the top of the food chain for the people of this town. The fact that he said he wasn't notified of my arrival here says it all.

"Together? What does that folder have to do with me?", I ask in curiosity, but still on guard.

"May be a lot, may be nothing. See I know almost everything that happens in this port. What few I don't know will be brought to my knowledge eventually by my team of experts. I asked that very same team that day we encountered at the diner, to do some digging on you", he smiles.

"You did what?!", I gasp aloud. My knees are buckling and my heart is racing at the speed of light.

That is the last thing I wanted! No one needs to know who I am, especially nothing that will tie me to the past. When- How the hell he managed to do something like that?!

"Are you insane?! You are violating my privacy?!"

"Privacy? Ha! What part of I-"

"I heard you the first time you said it", I interrupt. "Do you not have anything better to do than pay your lackeys to dig up information about me? You could of, I don't know, ASKED ME!"

"Then what? Would you tell me what I want to know, or what you WANT me to hear?", Tao ask with his eyebrows raised and his lips curled into a grin.

Of course not. That's stupid, but still... I could of brought me a way out of this ever happening.

"So, what's so important in the folder that you had to bribe the entire building?", I ask in annoyance.

"I was hoping we find out together. It came back faster than I anticipated. Would you like to do the honors?", asks Tao as his lips begin to curl up in a grin.

That jack- knows it's a gamble having me open it. It's all just a game to him.

"Just open the damned thing", I sigh. I already knew what I might have to do in order to survive. It's a big risk though...

Panda Eyes shrugs his shoulders then sits on my bed. Comfortably I might add. He caresses the folder with his index finger, his eye gleaming with excitement. All I can do is stand here in bewilderment as he take pride in his villainess action.

Without any words, Tao opens the folder and looks at the contents inside. I study his facial expressions the best that I can so it tells me whether I need to act on fight or flight mode. Instantly the excitement in his eyes are gone and his dark brown pupils stare into mines.

"W-What? I thought you would be more enthusiastic about digging into my past", I bravely say as I look for a weapon that can at least knock him out for a few minutes.

Tao tosses the folder at my feet then says, "Have a look for yourself", and stands up with his hands on his waist.

I slowly bend down to pick it, making sure he is still in my line of vision. I take a deep breath and open up the folder to see my three years worth of hiding all in one folder.

"Su Ni... name not recognized... Person is not in database?", I say more to myself. 

"Confused? Are you some sort of a ghost?", Tao asks me.

"Ghost? You clearly see me standing here."

"Say that to the piece of paper you're looking at. Now it makes since why the information came back so fast. Basically, you have no human connection in the human realm."

"I know for a fact I am a human. While I am relieved someone like you couldn't get info on me for whatever reason, what I don't understand is what was you going to do if given that info?", I boldly ask.

I'm more than ecstatic that Tao couldn't get what he wanted, but now the mystery only gets deeper. Why is there no records on me? Does this has something to do with what happened three years ago?

"Can't say now that there is nothing to hold you against your will. But since you're considered an alien for the most part, why don't I set up an offer hopefully you won't refuse instead?", he says with an amusing glint in his eyes.

"Offer? What could you possibly offer me?"

"After the incident that took place at the festival, for one protection."

"Against what? You already dealt-"

"Which brings me to number two", interrupts Tao. "Not only d

Please log in to read the full chapter