Debt 1: On the Run

Indebted to Me
Please log in to read the full chapter

(Past: Three years prior)

"May I have regular coffee with cream and extra sugar?", I asked the cafe employee in front of me.

"No problem. It'll be two-fifty."

Coffee sure has went up in the last few years. It's a good thing I stashed a few dollars in my pocket before leaving home I waited on the side of the counter so someone could get their ordered taken. There was a flat screen television hanging on the side of me and the news was being broadcasted at that time. It was about five o'clock and before heading home I made the decision to come here.

See my parents were always arguing over trivial things that made me use to not want to be home all the time. I guess it isn't trivial anymore since I unofficially inherited their things. The sun was shining extra bright that day and the wind for some reason seemed just right. It was spring in the air alright and I didn't need the flowers to tell me otherwise.

It was the last day of school, my graduation actually. Before biding the school good riddance I saw a few things on my way out. For one thing I didn't see my parents which didn't surprise me the least. But now I know why. One of the many things I saw was this so called love. Something I experience one time, well twice. Left and right, front and back, couples were everywhere. It was like a disease spread and I was the last one to find out; like I do everything else.

Anyway as I waited for my coffee to finish up, something remarkable caught my eye. I use the word remarkable when I really should use shockingly unbelievable. Apparently a large crowd of people were scattered around as they tried to see what was going on. I wouldn't have gave it any further thought if the screen at the bottom didn't say Breaking News. As I continued to watch, the volume on the television grew louder. I suppose the manager in charged that day was always intrigued like me.

Two Bodies Found In Broad Daylight, it read as I saw the camera crew get closer and closer to the scene of the crime. I heard the employee call out to me to let me know that my coffee was ready, but I didn't pay attention. I did, but to honest I felt like this was more interesting than drinking something I could have another day.

I tried to recall the last time I saw the news talk about crime as gruesome as this, but usually it was from another town. It wasn't like where I'm from didn't have crime, which it does, but I couldn't remember any like this. The police, as usual since it's their job, were trying to block anyone from getting through. I can understand why though. Who would really want to see dead bodies just laying around? Well the truly inhumane sick and twisted people who have no value in life. 

Oddly enough I thought, How would I feel if I saw a dead body? I quickly turned around to get the coffee I ordered because I didn't want it to get cold. I should have just kept my head turned for a few seconds more because when I turned back around... I saw something that made me waste the two dollars and fifty cent coffee I spent.

My parents. My dead parents. My very dead parents covered in so much blood I couldn't believe I could spot them in the few seconds the camera turned to them. It must have been a freak accident because the person holding camera didn't seem aware of it at that time. I'm sure once they reviewed it he or she would be just as shocked as I was then.

I felt my legs move on their own accord. I remember feeling something hot on my leg which I now know was the hot coffee that seeped through my knee highs. Another person opened the door to come in as I walked straight out. I was jogging, but I had no idea where my legs were taking me. I think everything was pretty much a blur after I left the cafe. All the buildings started to look the same and everyone walking pass me looked morphed.

I continued to jog until I was all out sprinting. My chest felt so heavy like I had bricks where my heart use to lay. It was more than the feeling anyone feels when they knew their significant other is about to break up with them. Then once you hear those words that you don't wanna hear, gravity takes control of your heart. I think I was confused on what I was feeling because I wasn't sure of it myself. I just knew that whatever I was feeling, I didn't like it.

Before I knew it I saw my one story house in the distance. If I recall no one was around so I dashed for it. Luckily the cafe was only a few blocks away. I could smell bake goods and coffee every morning I walked to school. It was better than feeling like I was going to suffocated by the thick aroma every time something goes wrong between my parents.

I rummaged through my school bag to find my house keys as I ran faster to my house. I think there was on coming traffic at one of the streets I ran through, but like I said everything was a blur. Thank goodness I didn't end up on the news too. I hurdled over the small gate that kept people and my house separated from one another. Now that I look back, dad should of really replaced that gate. I guess it doesn't matter now. Someone would have found a way to get to the other side.

Quickly I jammed the key into the first lock at the top and then the one at the bottom. I twisted the knob and welcomed myself into silence. Something told me to lock the door behind me; making sure both locks were securely lock. Probably instinct. The house looked like it did when I left, except I saw mom did some vacuuming. She said that it calm her nerves after a long day. Too bad vacuuming can't block the world out forever.

"Mom! Dad!", I called out as I hastily searched for anything that resembled a pair of human figures that were my parents.

"Mom! Dad!", I yelled again, but like the annoying part of the back of my head that tells you the truth you don't want to know, no one replied.

The remote was on the living room table so I went and clicked the tv on. I knew I had to check all the news channels to be sure, but I didn't have to. What usually is cartoons turned out to be the news about my parents death. I saw the bottom of the screen again and it said both my parent's name in bold black letters. What do you do when you faced with the awful truth? Normally you deny and deny until you can't deny no more. I didn't have enough time to deny because instinct told me I need to leave my house as soon as possible.

I ran towards my room and busted opened the door. I needed a bag to carry as much clothes as I possibly could, but not too much. I had no idea if whoever did that to my parents were going to do the same to me. I found a small carry-on luggage with wheels. Perfect, I thought as I grabbed it from under my bed. I forgot the reason why I had it in the first place, but now it make sense. Never know when you're life will be in danger.

It was spring, so I quickly thought about all the clothes I would need. Summer was coming up and I knew it would be too hot so I made sure to pack clothes for that too. I took a few books to read and some puzzles if I got bored. For someone who feared their life I made sure I had everything I could think of at the time.

My mom had once told me she kept all the important stuff somewhere that she didn't want dad to know about. After I zipped up my suitcase, I took it out of my room and closed the door. There was a secret compartment under the couch my mom made for such things. I pushed the couch back with ease and lifted the rug. A small square hiding place with a latch laid in front of me so I opened it. There were all of our social security cards and birth certificates. I snatched them all up and put them in my school bag. I saw a gun with a box of bullets and thought about taking it too. So I took it. Never know when or where I might need it. I wondered why this was there one day I happened upon this secret lair when I was cleaning. Dad did a poor job at moving objects when he once and a while vacuumed. Mom knew something that I didn't. May be Dad too.

I saw a thick bundle of cash with two rubber bands on them. I guess my mom was really thinking ahead. I also placed them in my bag along with everything else I took. As I was about to close it, I saw a white letter address to me and I knew that it was mom's handwriting.

Now to go through dad's things.

One dad he was pissy drunk after coming home from the bar. I didn't mean for him to see me when he got home, but I was thirsty and needed a drink. He swooped me up and put me on the couch to rant on about how unfair the world was to him. He isn't the only one that feels this way. As I tried my best to flee while acting like I cared about whatever he said, he told me that he had secret. I was a curious little kid at the time. I asked him what secret and he told to swear up and down never tell me. Of course I lied and said I promise because that's what all kids do. Remember I was curious and a kid.

He took me outback at night while holding my hand. The light from the living room showed me a shovel across from us. Dad let go off my hand, went straight for the shovel and started digging. What felt like forever was actually a few minutes and I was glad I waited.

I went outback like I exactly remembered and grabbed the shovel on the way there. Dad did a really go job at making it look like he never buried anything in his life. Mom would have probably flipped if should found out about dad little stash. Like my father, I dug through the grass and the dirt until I reached a dark brown medium size box. It could easily fit in my suitcase after I dust all the dirt off. I walked back in the house without closing the door because I was too busy wiping the box.

I rearranged a few things inside and made space for the box without having to leave anything behind. I thought about getting a snack, but I was getting ahead of myself. That would have been too risky.  That could slow me down since I have no idea if my reality is a dream or the other way around. Something inside me told me that I need to run as fast and as far as possible and I decided to listen to it. As I went to turn the tv off I heard what sounded like a car's engine outside my house. I automatically thought of my parents because we owned a car somehow. 

I wanted it so badly to be them.

I zipped up my suitcase and walked towards the door. Before I could look out the peep hole, a knock at the door held my position right in front of it. May be my dad forgot the keys, I instantly thought because everyone forget some days. Then I heard it again a few seconds after the first one. I decided to wait again just in case because after the third one, I knew it wasn't them. The third one sounded like when the police comes to arrest someone and they have little patience to deal with anyone's crap.

I had to run and fast.

My school bag was already around me. I rolled off with the suitcase in one of my hands out the back door and closed the door quietly and quickly behind me. The side exit was no good because whoever was on the other side of that door would easily see me. I had to be quick so no one would get any clever ideas and come this way to get to the back. Even though it was the start of a ty day, luck was kind of on my side. The neighbor's gate behind me was easy enough for me to climb over with a skirt on. I knew around this time no one would be home because one of the girls at my school is related to them. They wouldn't be home for awhile because of graduation. Plus I needed to get to the nearest bus stop so I could make some distance between them and me.

Without thinking anymore on it, I went for the only exit I knew would save my life. In school I happened to be pretty athletic, especially when it came to running. I used my talent and went for it. I threw the suitcase over the fence and then climbed up once I heard a thud sound. The next street ahead was a great blind spot because no one could see my house from there. I made a right turn out of their backyard and to the front where no one can see me.

I placed the suitcase on it's wheel and rolled out in speed. I wasn't too worried if someone saw a teenage high school girl with a luggage behind her. That was the least of my problems and that should be theirs. A few blocks away I remember there being a bus stop before getting to the main street. I didn't need anyone I knew seeing me especially since I knew I could end up in a wormhole of a conversation. I could always come up with an excuse, but I don't how many people I do know saw the news. I'm sure they put two and two together and are starting to wonder if their last name is the same as mine. It's not hard to miss since for the last four years I did outstanding in school. I guess there's no point in using that scholarship I worked so hard to achieve.

There are no traffic lights here just stop signs because this part of town is made up of small neighborhoods. I waited for a few cars to pass so I could cross the moment someone stopped. I couldn't waste anymore precious time I already wasted trying to

Please log in to read the full chapter