Girl Panic!

My Personal Assistant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 17: Girl Panic!

 

The next day…

 

I stood on the sidewalk, with one hand grasping my phone and the fingers of my other hand drumming restlessly against the concrete wall.

 

"Sooyoung?"

 

"Mmm?"

 

"Have you booked your ticket?"

 

I puffed my cheeks and exhaled. "Not…yet…"

 

"The wedding's just two weeks away! And your Dad already needs you here, do it soon, okay?"

 

An incoherent mumble drifted into the phone.

 

"What did you say?"

 

"I said, yes ma'am." My annoyance didn't go unnoticed by her.

 

"Darling…" she sounded concerned, "…is there something wrong?"

 

My tone softened. "Sorry mom, it's just that…" I pursed my lips. "I…I think I'll miss my friends here."

 

As the words left my mouth, I realized what a mistake they were.

 

"Awwwwww!"

 

At the sudden blare from the speaker my grip instinctively loosened, but with some frenzied grappling that would have made Jackie Chan proud I managed to catch hold of my phone before it touched the ground. My ancestors must have been ninjas.

 

I pressed the phone to my ear again, ignoring the strange looks being thrown at me from the passersby. "Mom!"

 

The lady known as "Mom", however, continued to coo like I was a fluffy-whatever-animal at a pet shop. I scrunched my mouth aside and rolled my eyes. The next thing she is going to say is probably "my little buddle baby actually misses her friends!"

 

"My little buddle baby—"

 

"You little buddle baby is getting a little buddle annoyed," I interrupted, shooting as many daggers as was possible through telepathy.

 

She coughed lightly. "Oh, I understand darling. But it's not like you'll never see them again right? Aren't there those things that allow you to video call each other? Was that a handbook or something?"

 

I knew very well that it was not the same. With regard to certain someone, at least. Even then, I allowed myself to chuckle. "It's called Facebook, Mom."

 

My mother let out an indignant huff. "Can't they get names that make sense…" she muttered almost inaudibly. "Anyway, come back soon alright? I'm going crazy facing that old man of yours on my own every day. And there are lots of things to do in our business right now. "

 

A genuine smile broke out on my face. "Alright, I miss you too, mom. I’ll be back soon and help you with things there. Talk to you again?"

 

"Oh yes. I’ll talk to you later then."

 

"Yup, catch you later. Bye mom."

 

"Bye dear."

 

There was a tiny beep as I hung up the phone. I then slowly trudged towards the door, leaning my forehead against the wooden frame. After taking a deep breath, I pulled the door open.

 

The sound of raucous laughter greeted me. A woman got up from her stool, swaying dangerously as she did so. "Where did you go, Soo?" she demanded.

 

"My mom called," I mumbled as I shut the door behind me.

 

"What?" She cupped her two hands behind her ears. "I can't hear you!"

 

"My mom called!"

 

"Whaaat?" She started fanning her hands back and forth vigorously. "Your bum sock? I didn't know they sell such things!"

 

My right eye twitched as I resisted the urge to send Dumbo the Elephant flying across the galaxy.

 

"I dunno about bum socks, but you're not going anywhere till you're drunk! Here! Cheers!" Right after she shoved a glass into my hand, Taeyeon let out a sharp bark of laughter and tipped over, collapsing on the floor.

 

"Everything okay?" Sunny poked her head out of the kitchen.

 

I peered at the woman slumped on the floor. I wasn't sure about Taeyeon, but nothing else seemed broken. "All fine, Sunny."

 

Sunny strode out of the kitchen, carrying a steaming bowl of ramen. After placing the bowl before me, she glanced at Taeyeon. "No one knows what happened?"

 

"Nope," I replied blithely with a nod in thanks, before digging my chopsticks into the noodles.

 

I still can’t forget on how she abandoned the crew and left us to deal with the shipwreck of a press conference. And also the paperwork she had dumped on me. I was pretty such that if you stacked them upwards they would form a ladder to the moon.

 

Sunny seemed to read my mind. "Actually," she said evenly while she pulled a stool out to sit across the table from me, "Taeyeon usually isn't so irresponsible."

 

I lifted an eyebrow, and would have sniffed if not for the fact that I was stuffing myself with noodles as elegantly as I could.

 

Sunny went on. "I've heard Tiffany remark a couple of times that she hardly takes days off. Oh, and there was an incident of one artist. I heard that even though she was running a high fever and hospitalized, Taeyeon still insisted on attending the press conference."

 

Well, that's new. Feeling a lot more sympathetic for her, I left my seat and went over to Taeyeon, hefting her onto a stool such that her back was leaning against the wall. Her head ended up tilting backwards and she started drooling, but hey, I wasn't so sorry as to wipe for her.

 

I turned my attention back to Sunny. "What was the incident? I haven't heard of it."

 

"Ah, that happened a few years ago, she was an artist with K-Talents, and was extremely popular. However her secret relationship with her foster father was exposed, which was sensational news at that time. All of the newspapers and magazines were reporting about it."

 

I frowned. "So what happened? Did Taeyeon settle it?"

 

"Mmm… she tried her best, but her popularity nosedived and never recovered. Tiffany said there were rumors that she's trying to revive her career overseas, but with no luck too. It's such a shame, as she was really talented."

 

"I see. That's…" I scratched my eyebrow as a knot formed in the pit of my stomach. "That's terrible. It's her own business who she wants to love, right?"

 

Sunny gave me a small smile. "Your business is everyone's business. That's showbiz for you."

 

I sunk lower in my seat, my appetite suddenly gone.

 

"Has Jessica been spending time with you lately? Before you go home?"

 

Hearing Sunny’s words, I couldn't help a bitter laugh. After that fated late night call from my mother, whatever possessed me to want to confess my feelings to Jessica vanished into thin air. Subsequently I tendered my resignation, and she has scarcely talked to me since, not even bothering to turn up for my farewell dinner. At the rate it was going, I was beginning to wonder if she wanted me out of her life as soon as possible.

 

Sunny looked at me quizzically.

 

I shifted my gaze downwards and stared grouchily at the bowl as I stirred its contents with my chopsticks. "I haven't seen much of her lately," I conceded. And probably wouldn't in the future.

 

"Ah, Soo…" Sunny began softly, evidently sensing the distress in my voice, "actually…"

 

"Jessica…doesn't…but she…stays."

 

By this time, I was so distracted by my gloomy thoughts that I failed to catch what she was saying. "Huh?"

 

Sunny cleared . "What I wanted to say is, Jessica—"

 

There was the sound of the door being slid open. "Good afternoon!" A woman called as she stepped into the shop, with her young daughter in tow.

 

Sunny got up from her seat at once. "Ah, good afternoon!" she said before ushering the customers to their table and taking their orders. Just as she was about to walk back to my table, yet another greeting came from a new customer. Before long the shop was packed with the lunchtime crowd, and our conversation was gradually forgotten.

 

It would be a long time before I discover what Sunny was trying to tell me that day.

 

"Sooyoung, you are leaving?"

 

I pushed my stool back under the table and looked up. "Yes Sunny, thanks so much for the delicious meal." I started towards the door.

 

"Wa—wait!"

 

I peered over my shoulder at the girl, who was hastily wiping her hands on her apron.

 

"You know that the awards show is tonight, right? Are you going to watch it?"

 

Ah yeah, the awards night. I almost forgot about that Taeyeon had given me an invite, but I was still in two minds about going. "Maybe."

 

Sunny sighed. "I really hope to see you there, Sooyoung. Especially since you're leaving soon."

 

For a moment I stood at the door, speechless. In two months I had made friends that I never thought I would. It made me feel happy, but in a bittersweet way.

 

"I'll see you around, Sunny." I eventually replied, giving her my warmest smile before making my way out of the shop.

 

The next hour I spent wandering around aimlessly, taking in the sights in the hope that I can imprint them permanently in my memory. The bustling streets, the colorful billboards, the quaint little shops. Who knows when I would be back again, and what would have changed by then?

 

My mind was also occupied with thoughts of my earlier conversation with Sunny. On hindsight, I was rather relieved that I had not succeeded in confessing to Jessica, as it dawned on me that I had never considered whether the feelings were mutual. Maybe I had assumed that she liked me, but I became increasingly unsure whether it was the same kind of like, or whether it was merely a part of my imagination. And now hearing what Sunny said about showbiz? Bummer.

 

I must have been lost in my thoughts as when I finally noticed my surroundings, I found myself in the middle of an unfamiliar residential area with no other person in sight. I hastened my footsteps, trying to navigate the maze I was trapped in.

 

"I knew I should have subscribed for 3G service…" I grumbled under my breath as I turned into a dead end for the third time. While retracing my steps, however, I spotted a slim figure a few blocks away from me. I immediately hurried that way, hoping to ask her for directions. But before I could reach her, the woman halted in her steps and leaned against the wall. She then collapsed, groceries spilling out from her shopping bags.

 

I sprinted forward immediately. "Hey! Are you okay?" I called out as I crouched before the figure and turned her face towards me.

 

Lo and behold. It was Ice Queen.

 

Twenty minutes later, I was in Ice Queen's house, twiddling my thumbs nervously. I mean, what are the odds of me running into Jessica’s mother? On the other hand, after rummaging through my memories, I vaguely recalled Sunny saying that she lived near her ramen shop.

 

As Jessica’s mother stepped into the living room, I swiftly stood to attention.

 

"Ah, Sooyoung, have a seat," she said placidly as she put a cup of tea in front of me and settled into the seat opposite mine. I took my seat as well.

 

"Are you feeling better?" I asked. The woman lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter