Run, baby, run

My Personal Assistant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 10: Run, baby, run

 

I tapped my right foot impatiently as I leaned against the lamp post. It was still early in the day, but a crowd was already milling in the station.

 

A glance at my watch just added to my irritation.

 

Seriously, Jessica, is this how you make an impression on our first date? By being late? Geez—

 

My thoughts screeched to a stop. What on earth am I thinking? Date?!

 

This is not a date. I huffed.

 

What is it then?

 

I frowned, before hastily jamming the sneaky hand that had crept up towards my eye in my pocket. Damn habit seems to have struck back with a vengeance.

 

Uh, let's see. A meeting? No, that sounds awkward. An excursion? Nope. It's not like we're going on a fieldtrip or something. Besides, that only reminds me of a bus packed chockfull with noisy preschoolers. A… rendezvous? No, no, no, that sounds even worse than a date!

 

An outing?

 

Hmm. That sounds… reasonable. An outing it is! I nodded happily to myself, satisfied that my brilliant brain had come up with a solution.

 

My field of vision darkened as a solitary figure stepped in front of me, partially blocking out the blazing rays from the sun. I backed up instinctively, before slowly removing my Ray-Bans.

 

"Je… ssica?"

 

The figure grunted a reply.

 

My mouth fell slightly open as I scrutinized her up and down. She was togged out in black from head to toe. Black cap, black shades, black coat, black tank top, black jeans, black boots. Black, black, black!! I could barely recognize her.

 

She shifted uneasily under my gaze. "Wh—What?"

 

"Are we attending a funeral or a Goth concert?"

 

Even through her shades, I could tell that she was glaring at me.

 

"I don't want to attract unnecessary attention."

 

I chuckled. Oh come on, the way she was dressed, she might as well be carrying a gigantic arrow with psychedelic flashing lights! And true enough, I noticed that other people in the vicinity were casting curious glances in our direction.

 

However, my show of amusement had put the girl in a sullen mood and she stood with her arms folded indignantly. "Alright, alright," I tried to pacify her, "you didn't ask me out just to pout right?"

 

She gave a haughty "hmpf".

 

Whatever, man.

 

Her royal grumpiness jerked her head towards me in surprise as I grabbed her arm and tugged her along, causing her to stumble after me.

 

"Onward, march!"

 

Two hours later, we were inside an amusement arcade. Our eighth amusement arcade, to be exact.

 

I trailed the girl as she made her round in the arcade. Music from the various machines were pounding in the background while she turned her head left and right, gravely appraising the games that were available. As with the last seven arcades, she did not seem to find anything interesting.

 

Sighing, I plopped myself on a bike meant for the Moto GP game.

 

During our last phone conversation, she had said (or more accurately, stammered) that she thought that I would like to explore the city. But it was obvious that she had other plans. Why else would a "tour" of Seoul consist of visits to numerous amusement arcades?

 

Well, not that I really minded. But. Just. Play. Something. Already!

 

I watched her as she walked up and down the narrow aisle, and noticed that her gaze kept landing on a certain colorful machine. I jumped off the bike.

 

"You wanna play? UFO catcher?"

 

She spun around quickly, as if caught red-handed stealing cookies. "Of… course not! I don't play such childish games."

 

I resisted rolling my eyes. "Well I do. So please wait here while the childish person goes get some change."

 

I grabbed some coins from the lady at the counter and headed for the machine. Jessica hovered behind me as I popped two coins into the slot.

 

The lights danced even more brightly and the claw crane came to life.

 

I took hold of the joystick and tried to maneuver the claw to the correct position. By this time, Jessica could hardly control her excitement.

 

"Ohhh," she said as she pressed her palms and nose against the glass window of the machine.

 

I pushed a button. The claw descended and attempted to grip the large silvery blue soft toy perched (seemingly) precariously on the edge of the chute. It came up empty.

 

I let out a low growl before feeding the machine with more coins. Nope, didn't work again.

 

Ice Princess decided that she couldn't stand it any longer.

 

"No, no," she said testily as she pushed me aside. "You don't grab it, you push it."

 

She chucked two of my coins into the slot and muttered incoherently under her breath as she shifted the joystick.

 

"Let me do it," I said as I tried to push my way back.

 

"No."

 

"They are my coins!"

 

"I'll just pay you back later!"

 

Since there was no consensus, we ended up jostling in front of the machine, both trying to gain control of the joystick. We were bumping around so much that the poor machine was rocking from side to side.

 

"O—oiiii!"

 

The music stopped and the claw went back to sleep.

 

"My money!" I whimpered.

 

There were only two coins left, sufficient for one play. The two of us stared at each other, neither willing to give in.

 

"How about we settle this… by rock-paper-scissors?"

 

"Okay."

 

"Rock-paper-scissors!"

 

My eyebrows twitched as I stared at my traitorous hand, which had decided to counter Ice Princess’ solid fist with my wimpy scissors.

 

"Two more times!" I huffed.

 

"Rock-paper-scissors!"

 

"Rock-paper-scissors!"

 

I smacked my forehead in exasperation. Choi Sooyoung, epic fail.

 

Ice Princess wore a smug expression on her face.

 

Darn it. I have always been lousy at this.

 

"Fine, you get to play."

 

She appeared a little surprised that I did not protest further.

 

"Go on…" I urged as I folded my arms rather sulkily.

 

"We… we can play together."

 

I blinked, not really understanding what she meant.

 

She pulled me to stand on her right. "We can control the claw together." She held the lower part of the joystick and looked at me expectantly. After a moment's hesitation, I wrapped my fingers around the space above.

 

The coins went in and music blared from the machine. Just as she moved the claw closer to the toy, I realized that it was too cramped for us to stand side by side in front of the machine. Without thinking, I released my left hand that was holding the joystick, shifting behind her as I reached around her back and grabbing the joystick again from her left.

 

"To the left, to the left… Oh… Too much! Move to the right!"

 

"Ready?" I glanced at the girl, who was staring intently at the claw. She nodded solemnly.

 

"Go!"

 

She slammed the button.

 

The claw went down, down, down…

 

It nudged the toy into the chute.

 

"Woohoo!" I shouted. Take that, you money-gobbling machine!

 

My partner-in-crime, however, was completely silent. I tilted my head; only to realize that she was standing rather rigidly, her cheeks tinged a deep red.

 

Wha—

 

All of a sudden, I became acutely aware of the warmth radiating from her skin, and the fresh scent of her hair.

 

I glanced at our reflection in the glass window of the machine, and she gazed back steadily at me.

 

In my enthusiasm to beat the UFO catcher, I had unconsciously leaned against her back and slipped my arms around her waist so that my hands could control the joystick and button. My chin was almost resting on her shoulder.

 

I exhaled, and the fine strands of hair tucked behind her ear swayed gently.

 

I was standing far too close to her.

 

In fact, I could see that the people passing by behind were observing us with interest.

 

That strange feeling hit me again.

 

My arms tightened around her waist, but I managed to snap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter