Chapter 8 (2011)

Reservations
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the last semester leading up to Sunggyu’s graduation, the library regained its peace. Finally off the bench, Woohyun was training for an upcoming match, and he was hard at work each day. Through his library room window, Sunggyu watched as Woohyun raced through the field, occasionally topless, with his teammates. His idiotic smile shone brilliantly on his face whenever he scored, and Sunggyu smiled involuntarily watching him. A carefree Woohyun on the field was his favourite sight.

The day before Woohyun’s first seasonal match, he decided to collect his last book reservation and help out at the library. At the counter, Sunggyu signed the 200th book reservation slip and slided it across the surface to Woohyun. He took the chance when Woohyun was placing the book into his bag to grab him into a sort of one arm embrace, separated by the counter. Both leaning awkwardly forward to hold the hug, Sunggyu said, “Kick tomorrow. I know you’re good.”

Of course he knew, he watched him everyday.

Woohyun smile silently, chin still firmly locked on Sunggyu’s shoulder, and thought about the times he looked up to the library window to see his hyung at the same spot, watching the soccer field that was his own sanctuary.

They proceeded to Woohyun’s last shelf duty that day, all the while with pabo-nam skipping in between the aisles and peeping through empty spaces between books to make funny faces at Sunggyu. The older didn’t respond, but when Woohyun couldn’t see him behind the rows of books, he secretly chuckled.

Maybe, I’ll step onto the field tomorrow. To watch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter