Chapter 4 (2011)

Reservations
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By his last year in college, Sunggyu had achieved one of his goals: to maintain his status as second in school. He was failing miserably on maintaining a peaceful college life though.

By now, he was an expert in getting back at Woohyun for not returning his books. He could always track Woohyun down, no matter where the younger was. He snapped his nose with a book (something he noticed could only be done with a really sharp nose like Woohyun’s) until he produced the book from his bag; he wrestled him to the floor; he threatened to throw his magazines away (”Hyung I’ll give you one!” “…” *lets go*) . The only time he failed was when he hid Woohyun’s jersey top while he was changing.
“Hyung, give me back my top!”

“Brat, just return the book!”

“Hyung you’ll regret it if you don’t.”

“You won’t win this, give me the book kid.”

There was momentary silence in the changing cubicle when suddenly the door swung open, and a topless Woohyun flung himself onto Sunggyu’s back in a piggyback position, all the while ruffling Sunggyu’s hair with his fist.

“Hyung is mean! Just surrender hyung, I’m almighty Woohyun!"

Sunggyu barely escaped.

The first time Sunggyu let Woohyun into the room behind the library counter was an accident.

Too engrossed in his book (”Charismatic Leaders through the Ages”) , he had forgotten to stay at the counter to wait for Woohyun. He didn’t even notice when Woohyun walked into the room and sat across him quietly, until he heard a gentle voice call out to him.

“Hyung.”

It’s weird but, rather than being surprised by Woohyun’s presence, Sunggyu noticed he was more surprised at not being annoyed at his sudden appearance. Sunggyu looked up at the pair of puppy eyes staring straight at him from across the room. Woohyun was not in his soccer jersey that day. He was just in a plain t-shirt and a pair of ripped jeans. Wrapping his arms around his legs and bringing them close to himself, he was in a comfortable position resting his right cheek on his knee, head tilted as he sat on the floor staring curiously at Sunggyu. And that was when Sunggyu realised how comfortable he felt with Woohyun around, even in this space he defined to be his own.

The evening sunset cast a soft glow on Woohyun’s left cheek, making the outline of his nose and eye more pronounced than they already were. Sunggyu had never looked at Woohyun in such serenity and clarity before. Nor had he seen an unsmiling Woohyun. The boy before him was just unmoving, staring straight at him with a slight trace of innocent curiosity in his eyes, mixed with heavy thoughts Sunggyu couldn’t figure out.

“Sunggyu hyung really likes to read.”
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter