Chapter 1 (2010)

Reservations
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunggyu wasn’t sure if he hated the sun or the field more. One thing that was certain, was that he hated the men on the field. Loud, air-headed and boisterous, it was a mystery to Sunggyu why the guys on the university soccer team were popular at all.

The biggest irony was that his favourite place on campus directly oversaw the soccer field. It was the room behind the library counter which he practically lived in. When he came to Seoul for college, he was determined to achieve two things - get second in his cohort, because he wanted to know how it felt like to be at the top but getting first was too overrated for his liking; and to live a peaceful life. And that was why he jumped on the opportunity as soon as positions for student librarians were open. It was just books and silence, the perfect combination for his dream sedentary college life. Each day as he buried himself in books and library duties, he looked through the windows of the library at the running figures below, amused. He was quite sure the criteria for the team were looks, stupidity and some athletic skills that could just be compensated by looks. He was grateful for the thick glass that separated his world from theirs. The staff room behind the counter was his sanctuary.

This happy life of his sustained well into his third year of college, only to be disrupted by an annoying freshman. As he was about to lock up the library doors at closing hour to leave some quiet reading time for himself (something that he did everyday), a foot threw itself between the doors. Looking down, Sunggyu saw a filthy soccer boot.

Being the merciless person he was, Sunggyu pressed hard to close the door.

The scream on the other side of the door shocked him so badly he released the handle almost immediately. It was a mistake. The boy on the other side quickly siezed the chance and pushed the door wide open, making Sunggyu fall back. Looking up, he was staring straight at a perspiring boy clad in his soccer gears and number 9 jersey, smiling at him triumphantly.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter