Chapter 27

Rain On Me

DOUBLE UPDATE BECAUSE I LOVE YOU ALL!!!! Read chapter 26 if you haven't! 


My mother and Mrs. Yoon left with the sales woman to look at other displays, leaving Yoonsan and I to look at the rings by ourselves. Moonkyu oppa had wandered off when his phone rang. Yoonsan and I were both silent as we looked at the rings. I kept glancing over, trying to work up the courage to speak up. ‘It’s just Yoonsan’ I would tell myself ‘You lived with him for ten months, you can talk to him’. I opened my mouth, about to speak when I saw that Yoonsan wasn’t next to me anymore. I looked around, trying to find him when I saw him and Colette, laughing together. I felt my shoulders drop, my entire body slouching. I glanced back at the shiny rings, mocking me. Those rings symbolized unity, happiness, a couple getting their happily ever after. But I wasn’t getting that. They’re just rings to Yoonsan and I. That’s all they’ll ever be. I looked down at my left hand where the Mickey Mouse ring was. I never took it off. Did Yoonsan take his off though, I wondered. I looked over to where he was but I couldn’t tell.

“What the hell are you sitting here for? Did I not make myself clear last time? Did you think I was joking? Go over there and show that girl exactly where your place is.” I held back a yelp of pain when I felt my mother grip my upper arm, yanking me from the chair and to my feet harshly.

“Aera, come look at these rings! They’re lovely.” Thank you, Mrs. Yoon. My mother let me go, not without shoving me towards the direction Yoonsan and Colette were. I quickly walked in their direction but turned my attention to a display of pearl wedding rings when I knew my mother wasn’t looking. I was scared to go over to them. Even with my education on the line, I was still scared.

I was too engrossed in the rings that I didn’t notice how close I was getting towards Yoonsan and Colette. I was just trying to see all the rings. I let out a squeak when I bumped into something. I looked over ready to apologize when I saw that it was Colette. I didn’t want to apologize but knew that I should.

I’m sorry.” I bowed my head.

It’s fine. We probably shouldn’t be standing here anyways.” She giggled, but I saw the glare in her eyes when I looked up.

“San, Eunjung, we’ve narrowed it down to three rings. Come see!” Mrs. Yoon happily called out. I shared a look with Yoonsan before staring longingly at the pearl wedding rings. Yoonsan began to walk to where our mothers were and I moved to follow him when I felt someone step on the back of my shoe, causing me to stumble but stupid me, tripped over my own feet and I was crashing to the ground, my face hitting the corner of a glass display.

“Eunjung!” I groaned, my hand moving to my throbbing nose and lips. I saw Yoonsan moving to help me stand but when I moved my hand from my face, I froze.

 

Author’s Point of View

 

Yoonsan froze when Eunjung did. Blood. Why was there a nagging feeling at the back of his head. Blood meant something with Eunjung but what exactly? It bothered him that he couldn’t remember.

“Eunjung?” He called out to her when he saw her losing focus. Yoonsan moved to help her stand when he was pushed to the side.

“!” He heard Moonkyu curse as he grabbed a handkerchief from his pocket. Moonkyu quickly covered Eunjung’s eyes with one hand, hooking his other arm under her shoulders to lift her up.

“There’s no blood, you’re fine.” Yoonsan watched as Moonkyu worked to quickly wipe the blood from her face and hand.

“You’re fine, Eunjung, you’re fine. There’s no blood.” And then Yoonsan remembered.

“Yah! Why did you just stand there?!” Yoonsan flinched at Moonkyu’s accusing tone. Yoonsan was about to speak up when Moonkyu cut him off.

“Save it! Go get me paper towels and then go back with your little model if you’re not going to help Eunjung.” Moonkyu snapped out, taking Yoonsan by surprise. The entire engagement, Yoonsan never witnessed Moonkyu actually care for Eunjung. He always avoided her hugs, never speaking directly towards her and just tried to be away from her as much as possible. And when he did interact with her, it was always cold and felt distant.

“I’m sorry, hyung. I’ll get the paper towels.” Yoonsan muttered, beating himself up on the inside. How could he forget Eunjung’s fear of blood? What kind of fiancé was he?

San, is everything okay?” Yoonsan looked at Colette and it was almost like an epiphany hit him.

Yeah, I just need to take care of Eunjung.” Yoonsan moved to walk faster but Colette quickly matched his pace.

It looks like her brother’s got it.” Yoonsan shook his head.

No, Colette. She’s my fiancé. I should be taking care of her. I need to get paper towels and I think your manager is ready for you guys to leave.” Yoonsan couldn’t explain the thankfulness he felt when he saw Colette’s manager motioning that it was time to leave. He saw the disappointment and…was that anger? He couldn’t tell but she didn’t seem too happy to leave.

Stupid schedule. Well, give my best to Eunjung. That was a nasty fall she had.” Colette hugged him tight and Yoonsan normally would’ve easily returned the hug but this time, for some reason, he felt awkward about it. And not the awkward he used to get around Eunjung when they were first getting to know each other, but this awkward was when someone you’re not too fond of, acts like you two are the best of best friends. And he couldn’t figure out why he felt that way with Colette all of a sudden.

I will. Have fun at work.” Yoonsan told her. Colette called out to him for him to call her later as she walked out the store.

Yoonsan returned to wear Moonkyu was with Eunjung with paper towels. Moonkyu had sat Eunjung on a chair, his mother fretting over her like a mother hen while Eunjung and Moonkyu’s mother stood off to the side, watching with a blank expression, arms crossed over her chest.

“Uh, I got the paper towels.” Moonkyu took them from Yoonsan before getting the bloody handkerchief from Eunjung who Yoonsan noticed had her eyes closed.

“Oppa, I can smell…” She sounded disoriented. Moonkyu snapped his fingers in front of her face.

“No, you don’t smell anything. You’re fine.” He said before getting some paper towels and holding it to her bleeding nose.

“Oh dear, I hope her lip doesn’t scar.” Mrs. Yoon sighed, examining Eunjung’s face. The saleswoman that had been helping them with the rings earlier, came back with a small trashcan. Moonkyu muttered a quick thanks before dropping the handkerchief into the can.

“M’am, how did you fall?” The saleswoman wondered. Eunjung mumbled some things but it was hard for them to hear.

“I’m sorry, could you repeat that?”

“…Stepped on me…feet…face hit case” Those were the only coherent things before Eunjung’s head began to bob. Moonkyu tapped her face as he replaced the paper towels with clean ones.

“Yah, you’re fine.” Moonkyu insisted. Yoonsan wasn’t sure if it were for his peace of mind or Eunjung’s.

“But blood.” Eunjung whimpered, trying to get away from the paper towels that were on her face.

“There’s no blood, don’t be stupid.” Moonkyu reassured her but his harsh tone wasn’t that reassuring. 

“San, go get the car. We might need to take Eunjung to the hospital.” Mrs. Yoon handed her son the car keys before going back to fretting over Eunjung and her busted lip.

When Yoonsan came back, Eunjung’s nose and lip had managed to stop bleeding but she still seemed a little out of it. He took her from Moonkyu and helped her out to the car. Mrs. Yoon and Mrs. Kim decided they’d pick the rings themselves and Yoonsan couldn’t help but feel a bit dejected. He remembered how Eunjung looked at the wedding rings with the pearls and color. He saw the way her eyes lit up with those instead of the ones with nothing but diamonds. Yoonsan knew though that the ring with the flashiest diamond would be picked though.

“Let’s get you home, Eunjung.” Yoonsan whispered comfortingly as he helped Eunjung into the car.

When they go home, Eunjung had gotten better. She didn’t need any help to walk but when Yoonsan tried to offer her help, she gently pushed him away, muttering ‘I’m fine’ before hurrying into the house, leaving everyone else behind. Yoonsan was left confused. He bid his mother, Mrs. Kim, and Moonkyu goodbye before hurrying after her. He walked into the house and immediately went to the kitchen, hoping that Sooyoung knew where Eunjung was but he saw that he didn’t have to worry because he found Sooyoung holding Eunjung’s head up while she looked at the cut on Eunjung’s lip and also wiped at Eunjung’s mouth area with a wet towel to efficiently clean it.

“Are you still set on not telling me the truth?” Sooyoung sternly said, Yoonsan noticing that she was in ‘mama bear’ mode.

“I am telling you the truth, eonni. I fell at the store.” Eunjung flinched when the towel grazed the cut on her lip, Sooyoung apologizing as soon as she did.

“You’re clumsy, but not enough to get this injured.” Sooyoung muttered.

Yoonsan cleared his throat to get their attention. When they both looked his way, Eunjung quickly looked away, Sooyoung being the only one to hold his stare. Yoonsan wished she didn’t know because as soon as she saw him, her gaze hardened. She turned quickly to Eunjung with a smile on her face.

“Okay, you’re all good. Go upstairs and take a shower, I’ll bring you some soup.” Eunjung pouted but nodded her head.

“I’m not sick though.” Yoonsan heard her mumble as she scurried past him, not looking at him. Yoonsan wanted to stop her but the slamming of a cabinet door caught his attention. He watched as Sooyoung angrily got the ingrediants out that she needed to make a soup, wincing at the sound of pots clanging together harshly.

“San, I’m going to ask you this once and you better tell me the truth, what the hell happened?” Yoonsan tried not to shrink under Sooyoung’s harsh glare but failed.

“Eunjung told you what happened, she fell.” Yoonsan prayed that she accepted that answer because he honestly thought that’s what happened. He thought it was strange but no one was near to actually push Eunjung into the case.

“I’m not asking about that right now. I meant what happened at the store. I have never seen Miss Eunjung as down as she’s been when she walked in here.” Yoonsan gulped.

“We went to the store and looked at the rings and I admit, I may have been a douche but I’m sorry for that. And then Colette showed up and-“ Yoonsan jumped when the knife Sooyoung was holding, was stabbed into the potato she was slicing after having peeled it.

“Colette?” Sooyoung spat the name out between gritted teeth. Yoonsan usually go defensive the very moment someone had a negative reaction towards Colette but this time, Yoonsan didn’t and he was surprised by that.

“You mean, another girl, that isn’t your mother, future mother in-law, your fiancée, a bridesmaid, or Nayoung, was with you while you and your fiancée shopped for wedding rings? Do you not know what Miss Eunjung’s mother would do to her because of this? Do you not know how disrespectful that is for Miss Eunjung? Please tell me you didn’t spend all your time with Colette.” Yoonsan smiled sheepishly, earning a groan from Sooyoung.

“Are you stupid or are you dumb?” Sooyoung gripped the edge of the counter, trying to keep herself from blowing up at Yoonsan. ‘He may be like a brother to you, but he still signs your paycheck’ she repeated in her mind like a mantra, taking deep breaths.

“I mean, it’s not like we planned it. She just showed up, noona. Honest.” Yoonsan said, in hopes to calm her.

“It doesn’t matter, San. You still ignored Miss Eunjung for some girl and not only that, but you haven’t been the most pleasant person towards her lately. Don’t think I haven’t noticed that either. I thought you would’ve been better after that misunderstanding with that letter.”

“She falsely accused Colette of trying to get between our wedding.” Yoonsan stated.

“And how do you know it was false? Does Miss Eunjung really seem like the type of girl to do that? No. In fact, every time someone said something negative about Colette, she would defend her. She even defended you when you behaved the way you have been. So, San, is that something that a person would do for a person she ‘falsely accused’?” Sooyoung put the last of the diced potatoes into the soup before making air quotes. When Yoonsan didn’t say anything, Sooyoung clicked her tongue, knowing that she has successfully made her point.

When the chicken noodle soup was done, Sooyoung poured some into a bowl, crushing crackers and putting the crushed crackers into the soup, mixing it just how she knew Eunjung liked it. She poured water into a cup and placed the cup and bowl on a tray. She got the tray and handed it to Yoonsan who stayed quietly in the kitchen.

“Go take this to Miss Eunjung. Talk to her if she’s up for it but do not force her and make her upset or I swear to God, San, I will forget that you sign my paycheck and…” Yoonsan was out of the kitchen with the tray before Sooyoung could finish her threat.

He carefully made his way to the stairs and was about to climb them when a maid approached him with Edward behind her.

“Master Yoon, Edward is here. Should I send him to Miss Eunjung’s room?” Yoonsan looked over at Edward who had his arms crossed over his chest, daring him to say no.

“I can take him there.” Yoonsan told the maid who bowed to them before hurrying away to do another job. Yoonsan gestured for Edward to follow him and Edward did just that.

“So, uh, do you know about-“

“Eunjung’s injury today? Yes.” Edward’s tone cold. Yoonsan was not popular today with a lot of people.

“How did you-“

“Moonkyu texted me.”

“I thought you and hyung weren’t on good terms.” Yoonsan sheepishly said.

“He’s still not my favorite person but right now, he’s definitely higher up than you.” Edward snapped out. Yoonsan flinched, causing the items on the tray to jostle a little. Edward scoffed.

Can’t treat his fiancée right and now he can’t carry a tray? What is he good at? Give me that. I’ll carry it.” Edward snatched the tray from Yoonsan just as they reached the top of the stairs. Edward marched to Eunjung’s closed bedroom door, balancing the tray on one arm before knocking.

Eunjung, let me in. I have food and I am not taking no for an answer.” The door creaked open, only wide enough for Edward to slip in. It looked like Eunjung had the curtains drawn based on how dark it was in the room even though it was mid-afternoon right now. The door was shut just as Yoonsan stopped in front of it. He was about to knock when he got a text from his father, telling him he was needed for a last minute meeting. Yoonsan sighed, knowing he couldn’t ignore it. He went to his room so he could take a quick shower and change into a suit. He’ll just have to talk to Eunjung later.