Really I Didn't Know

Not Broken

Hey everyone! I wanted this up sooner but man did I underestimate my teachers OTL nuff said- 

BUT ANYWAY HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! If it already passed I hoped it was lovely and if you don't celebrate I hope you had a good day

And like ugh......three years have already passed and I'm still not ever Baekhyun and Chen singing this ;-;


Baekhyun laughed running into the coffee shop, sure all his muscles were tired but he didn’t feel as much pain as before, maybe the pills were working?

“AISH YOU LITTLE BRAT!” He heard Chanyeol yell and he snickered walking inside and standing calmly inside knowing the idiot would rush in and make a fool of himself. Just like he predicted Chanyeol threw open the door mid-scream, everyone turned to look at him and his face flushed till the tips of his ears were red then he slowly walked to stand behind Baekhyun in line who was pretending to read the menu.

“I hate you.” Chanyeol whispered when everyone had finally turned back into their own little bubbles and Baekhyun fought back a smirk.

“Hello what can I get you?”

Baekhyun blinked as he realized Xiumin, he knew he was Luhan’s best friend, a sophomore he often caught looking at him but he couldn’t deny, he thought Luhan was cute.

“Why hello I want-“ He paused and turned to Chanyeol. “Channie what do I want?”

The taller rolled his eyes then ordered for the both of them, they smiled and Baekhyun paid, then they moved to the side while they waited for their drinks. While waiting the elder scanned the place to see if he saw any sign of the cashier’s friend. Maybe he did have a crush, he couldn’t be sure but it was something he knew it was.

After a few minutes of silence, both of them on their phones, a voice spoke up.

“Here.” A clipped voice said quickly and blandly, making it obvious he didn’t want to be here, Baekhyun rolled his eyes and grabbed his cup.

“Hey dude I get you don’t want to be here and you think you’re so above this but faking a smile wouldn’t kill you.”

The worker who had spoken turned and narrowed his eyes. “Are you telling me how to do my job?”

“Yeah I am-“ Now he looked down to his nametag, took a sip, and continued. “Kyungsoo even a monkey could do your job better, at least it would actually make people think about it for the rest of the day. You’re not the only person that has going on ya know.”

It was silent until the corner of Kyungsoo’s lip twitched before he rolled his eyes. “Yeah princess then stay late and teach me.” Then he walked back to tend to other customers, leaving Baekhyun fuming cursing at the other for calling him a princess.

Baekhyun had actually shooed Chanyeol away and waited for the little to get off his shift, when the worker saw him he still had a blank face and Baekhyun frowned. He didn’t know how it happened but an hour later he was smiling, laughing with a warm feeling spreading through his chest and Kyungsoo with a closed lip smile. After that Baekhyun would always come to the coffee shop, the two always bickering before someone finally told Kyungsoo to just ask him out and that’s what he did, right in that coffee shop.

For Baekhyun everything was like a fairy tale, it all seemed so surreal

 

When Baekhyun was telling this he obviously left out the part of him having a crush on Luhan, because well the dude was right next to him.

“It just seemed…..so perfect. Like it was right out of a romantic drama you know? We hated each other then we magically fell in love.” Baekhyun scoffed and looked down at his cane, taking a deep breath before looking back up.

“W-Well I guess I should tell you then.”

“Tell me what?”

“What you want to know…..m-my illness.” He glanced over to Jongdae and Sehun and they both gave thumbs up, Jongdae actually spoke.

“Luhan hyung looks nice, he wouldn’t do that, I can’t see him doing that.”

Luhan was lost but he went along with it he knew soon he would also know what they knew, he saw Baekhyun nodding his head before he took a another breath and he let him knowing whatever was going to be said everyone in the room obviously thought it was going to affect something in their friendship. Then Luhan lost his train of thought, he wondered what it would feel like to call it relationship instead of friendship?

“D-Da ge?”

Luhan blinked, smiling instantly and he saw Baekhyun copy his smile knowing the other felt a bit better now. “Yes Baek?”

“C-Can I tell you now?”

“Of course you can.”

“W-Well….” He trailed off once again, Jongdae nodded and even Sehun smiled this time and he gave a slight smile before looking at Luhan again with a nervous expression. “I-I have muscular dystrophy.”

Luhan blinked not saying a thing and the other sighed knowing he didn’t know what it was. “It’s a disease basically weakens and kills your muscles, that’s the simplest way to put it. There’s over thirty types and the one I have is Becker’s dystrophy.”

Luhan was still looking at him and he chuckled nervously knowing he still had more to explain, he felt anxious however as the other had no emotion what so ever on his face.  

“Gosh…I-…..I don’t know where to start.” He saw Luhan his lips obviously in thought before he nodded his way and spoke quietly.

“It’s okay take your time.”

Baekhyun closed his eyes, took another deep breath before continuing again. “It….it um affects my arms, abdominal muscles, hips, and my legs. Um sometimes I have trouble swallowing but other people have it worse.”

As a sign of thought Luhan moved his hand from the other’s knee and Baekhyun, misinterpreting it, panicked and grabbed his hand lightly.

“I-It’s not contagious!”

The eldest eye’s widened as he hadn’t even started to think about that but Baekhyun kept going. “Muscular dystrophy is hereditary a-and I can’t pass it on you have to be born with it!” He rushed out and Luhan slowly put his hand back to its previous position before he smiled for the first time since Baekhyun started talking.

“Baek….I wasn’t even thinking about that at all. I was just processing what you said.” The other let out a small ‘oh’ sound, his face flushing and the Chinese smiled wider.

“Anything else?”

Baekhyun nodded and looked up with teary eyes making the smile drop immediately. “There’s no cure for any of the dystrophies, you can only slow the process down.”

Then it clicked, the reason why the other’s parents were so busy. Then in a small voice he added.

“That’s why Kyungsoo left me……and I didn’t want to tell you.” Luhan didn’t see how Kyungsoo connected to him so he asked Baekhyun bit his lip, looking over to Jongdae who shrugged.

“I-I…..like you. Really like you and I-….don’t want you to leave me. You don’t b-baby me like Chanyeol and Sehun do and sometimes even Jongdae. You treated me like a real person, y-you……you looked at me like a real person and not some broken doll.”

His voice cracked and Luhan carefully picked up the other’s legs placing them on his lap before moving the boy’s whole body on his lap and hugging him, cradling him to his chest when he rocked back and forth.

“Nothing will change. You are a person. You’re Byun Baekhyun. The sunshine that makes everybody laugh and give them a reason to live one more day.” Cupping Baekhyun’s face he tilted up to his own.

“Stop crying it doesn’t suit you, a pretty face like yours should only smile.” He hummed as he saw a blush spread on his cheeks, he wiped away the tear tracks then frowned when he remembered.

“Kyungsoo left you over this?”

Baekhyun looked down and told him about it too.

 

“I can’t believe it’s been a two years as of yesterday!” Kyungsoo shook his head as he looked outside of the window of the coffee shop.

Baekhyun was scared but he was positive Kyungsoo loved him, they had come this far hadn’t they?

“SooSoo I have something to tell you, the reason why I had to leave our date early yesterday.”

Kyungsoo finally looked at him questioningly. “What is it?”

“Well you know how I started to feel a bit weaker right? And how I had trouble breathing in P.E?” Kyungsoo nodded and Baekhyun put his hand up on the table, playing with his fingers.

“My parents finally got worried and took me to the hospital, they gave me a physical and everything seemed to be normal but then my parents started telling them about what was happening to me then they said they need to take tests and my parents obviously said to take as many as they could.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes at that while Kyungsoo snorted, his parents being doctors as well they were often paranoid and always gave the green light on anything a hospital wanted to do, but he knew it was out of love.     

“So anyway they took a blood test then they came back and said they needed a muscle biopsies to see if what they saw was true, after that-“

“Baekkie my parents aren’t doctors I have no clue what the muscle test thing you said is.”

Said person laughed and shrugged his shoulders. “Sorry I forget, they just took out some muscle tissue with a biopsy needle.” When Kyungsoo hummed he went on. “Then I had to stay even longer for genetic testing.”

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows raised as he took a sip of his coffee. “Well they went overboard.”

“I know right? I think they just wanted to make extra extra sure or else my parents would sue them.” They both chuckled and Baekhyun sighed.

“So anyway turns out I have muscular dystrophy.”

“What’s that?” The latter shrugged. “I don’t still kinda don’t understand it.” Kyungsoo shrugged and after that they parted ways.

Two days later after school Kyungsoo found Baekhyun at a park, the latter of course smiled brightly but slowly it faded as the other didn’t return it.

“Let’s break up.” Baekhyun was shocked and dropped the strawberry milk he was holding, it splattered on the ground as his eyes watered.

“What did I do?”

“I read about it. Listen I don’t know which one you have but they said most people would need wheelchairs by the time they're forty. I have a life to live I don’t want to waste it being your slave, doing whatever it is you need. I’m sorry Baekhyun but this is the way I feel which is why I think it’s best for us to go our separate ways, it’s you’re not even a person, you’re going to turn into a doll one day, completely dependent on others as they carry you and sit you down like a doll. Hate me if you will but I’m just thinking realistically, there’s no room for a doll in my life.”

And with that Kyungsoo left Baekhyun for the last time, as the other sat there in tears, staring helplessly at his limbs, everything the other had said starting to make a permanent home in his mind, staying there quietly and only coming out when he was truly happy.

I really didn’t know that he would leave me