Operation 32

Think About It

"Hey, I'm gonna grab some more food really quick. You want anything else?"

"Your love." Moonbyul's nose crinkled with her laugh.

Hwasa rolled her eyes. "Anything else, you greaseball?"

"I'm good. Just hurry back before they throw the first pitch."

Hwasa made her way up the many, many steps of the stadium out into the food court. The line was short and the teen working the cash register looked bored, so she quickly ordered a handful of things.

"One bacon hotdog with everything, a medium popcorn, and the stadium burger please."

"Would you like to add the four-piece jalapeño poppers to your order? They're another three dollars and are ready right now."

"Sure."

"That'll be twenty-one dollars and forty cents."

As she reached for her purse, the sounds of static filled her left ear.

Hello ma'am, please confirm that communication has been established. Code phrase is seventeen.

Hwasa pulled out some bills and coins, handing them to the cashier. She counted the money, paused, and frowned before counting it again.

"Excuse me miss, but you're a few cents short."

"Oh." Hwasa handed over another dollar. "Sorry, I don't have seventeen cents."

"No problem."

Communication confirmed, thank you. Prepare for exchange.

"Here's your change." She held out her hand to accept the coins, feeling both metal and something plastic being given to her. The cashier smiled. "Enjoy the game."

Food in hand, Hwasa made her way over to a nearby table. She put the coins back into her purse and palmed the plastic lookalike. The bucket of popcorn was tucked between her left arm and her side and she somehow managed to hold both the hotdog and the burger in her left hand.

As she made it back into the stadium proper, the jumbotron flickered to life. On her. The stadium grew loud with one-part laughter and one-part supportive cheering for the tiny girl with lots of food. Hwasa could see Moonbyul turning around in her seat, already giggling and giving her the thumbs up. The announcer's voice came across the loudspeakers.

"Hello fans, we know you're excited for the game and we'll be starting shortly. We wanted to improve your experience with the jumbotron, so in addition to highlights, slow-mo's, and our infamous kiss cam, we've added a free talk segment. Young lady there is a staff member behind you with a microphone if you have anything you want to say."

Hwasa accepted the microphone with a small bow.

Waiting for your signal ma'am. Best of luck.

"Uh... I just hope everyone has a good time. I want to wish both teams good luck, even though I think it's obvious who will win." She gestured to her jersey, getting both cheers and booing in return. "I also want to thank my amazing girlfriend for surprising me with seats behind home plate. You're getting some tonight I promise!"

The stadium erupted in cheers of approval and laughter. Hwasa made eye contact with Moonbyul, now blushing and trying to dig a hole in her seat to hide. It didn't do much good though, as the people sitting near her saw the interaction, standing and waving up to the announcers’ booth. The jumbotron blurred as the camera swiveled over, showcasing Moonbyul's red face before focusing back on Hwasa.

She took a deep breath in.

"I love you Byulie-unnie!"

A smile filled the screen and the air was filled with 'aww's. But only for a second.

Four explosions rocked the stadium. The groaning of steel could be heard, and entire sections gave out, including the stairs underneath Hwasa. Screams of shock bounced down into the gap but Hwasa paid no attention to it. She squeezed the plastic in her hand until it popped, a black material rushing out to encase her body in what looked like a suit of armor. She fell fast, chunks of steel and concrete supports falling with her.

Brace yourself ma'am.

"Well no ."

The suit was advanced, a new prototype in covert operations for field operatives who needed quick and quiet access to quality equipment. Made from some super light and super durable whatever. Hwasa didn't care about that. The only thing that mattered was if it did the job right. Quick access? Check. Covert? Check. Protection? Che–

She slammed into the ground, the breath being forced from her lungs as several pieces of rubble landed on top of her. She sighed as the worst of the impact passed. Only a few small pebbles were still falling as she ran through a body check. They bounced harmlessly off of her visor.

She could wiggle her toes and fingers, and a brief inspection of her limbs showed no issues. It wasn’t the most comfortable of landings, but it was good enough. Protection? Check.

Another four explosions went off.

Ma’am this is control. Connecting you to Jindo Pup for phase two.

The inside of Hwasa’s visor .

This is Jindo Pup. Lion confirm your status.

“Jindo I copy. Suit is operational and appears to be working as intended. No injuries.”

Very good. Proceed as planned. Target has not been moved.

“Copy.”

Hwasa began moving at a swift pace, aided by the exoskeleton of the suit. She found her way out of the rubble and to the base of nearest intact support beam. A silenced pistol was waiting for her. A few moments later she was navigating the underside of the seating, magnetics in the feet of the suit doing the work.

Hold for set three of explosives.

Hwasa stopped moving just as more explosions tore through steel. A gaping hole opened up in front of her as more people fell through.

Hwasa winced at the sight. “Death toll?”

Irrelevant information. You know that. Continue.

She couldn’t help but look at the bodies under her. Her display flickered and a small face appeared in the corner of her field of view looking just as grim.

Fifteen thousand so far.

Hwasa just nodded. “Thanks Wheein.”

She only got a nod in reply before her face was gone. A detour around the gap and some navigation landed her on the back side of the luxury box, still filled with ‘important’ viewers and their guards.

Blacking out the windows.

Hwasa could hear yelling from inside as the guards frantically tried to deactivate the automated windows. The metal shutters stayed firmly closed despite their best efforts. She made her way to the only door inside.

Disabling security.

With the cameras and electronic lock out of commission, it was comically easy for Hwasa to literally walk in. As light streamed in behind her, the guards closest to her swiveled to face her. They opened fire right away, for all the good that did them.

The bullets slammed into the suit, seemingly dropping straight down from the point of contact.

Kinetic energy absorption fully functional. Eliminate all extras.

“Copy.”

Hwasa took the pistol from her waist and made quick work of everyone in the room save for one.

“Who are you? Whatever you’re being paid I’ll triple it!” The man was shameless, not even acknowledging the death around him. “Do you know who you’re dealing with? I could make you a very rich man.”

“Jindo can you open the helmet?”

That’s not a good idea Lion.

“Just do it please.”

… Fine.

The helmet split into sections, folding away into itself. The lights from inside the suit cast shadows over her face.

"H-Hyejin?!"

The pistol was held firmly in front of his face, not wavering in the slightest.

“Hello, abeonim. Don’t worry, I’ll take care of Byul-yi.”


A/N: 'Abeonim' is a formal way of addressing someone else's father. 

Not at all in the same universe but hype for John Wick 3 (Wooooooo).

Also just wanted to say that I'll be starting a new story called Spirit Index. It's kinda supernatural/ spiritual/ occult themed and will revolve mainly around Mamamoo but also bring in other groups as characters. I'll be shifting the majority of my efforts over to that story but I'll continue posting here as ideas come up. Link here if interested.

Also also White Wind is great and 'My star' hits so hard.

Thanks for reading ^-^