Rain

Think About It

The rain is very important, though in different ways and to different people. For some the significance is nothing more than a chance to stay home in bed, skipping work or school. But for others the rain is much more special. To those few the rain was a chance to start again. Start fresh. Start anew. And those people knew that, unlike most rain, only the rain on the Lunar New Year would give them the chance they so desperately wanted.

Once every lifetime in the darkness of the new moon, two people would find their way to a particular spot. One person would always know why they were traversing the cliff while the other would always be clueless. Deep down they both knew why, but in the moment only one knew that they knew. Next time it would be the other who knew, and then the other, on and on. Repeating until the end of time.

---

"Hwasa slow down! You could fall!"

Solar chased after her girlfriend at a fraction of the speed, picking her way over the rocks towards the ocean. It was amazing she hadn't hit herself on one yet, and even more so that Hwasa was literally sprinting her way through with no problem. Heaving herself up a particularly tall rock, Solar stopped to catch her breath. But what she saw made her lose it immediately.

The stars were out. Actually out, away from the constraints of light pollution and human intervention. They took up space in the sky freely, not even competing with the moon for dominance on this night. They weren't cheesy pinpricks of yellow against the darkness of space. She could see the aged celestials winking at her with their red glow while their younger, more lively counterparts scattered blues and whites across her view. And under it all was Hwasa.

Hwasa, who had won her heart in an instant with her bravado, standing quietly. Gazing at Solar in the same way Solar had been observing the sky. With eyes full of wonder and excitement. Solar finally moved from her spot towards the edge, joining Hwasa as they stood side by side. Watching both each other and the skyscape in front of them. Their fingers gently tangled themselves and silence watched over them with a careful eye. It let them enjoy each other.

"How'd you find this place?" Solar finally nudged the silence aside. 

"It... was a long time ago. I came here with someone important to me. She's the one who showed it to me actually."

"How come we've never met?" Solar frowned slightly.

"She's not around anymore. She told me she'd come back, and for me to wait for her." Hwasa sighed a little with those last words.

"Well when she does come back I'm not sharing." Solar pulled her girlfriend into a tight hug. "She can deal with that."

Solar felt Hwasa shaking as she laughed in her arms. She let a smile spread across her face, pushing the jealous thoughts out of her head. If this girl was important to Hwasa, she was important to Solar too.

"You won't have to share unnie." Hwasa said. "You guys will get along just fine."

Solar just nodded firmly. 

Hwasa entwined their hands again and pulled gently, leading Solar closer to the edge of the cliff. She could see the waves crashing against the bottom. She could feel drops against her face as they stopped. Only they weren't from the waves. Solar raised her eyes to see clouds above them, a thick grey blanket between her and the stars. More drops fell and she flinched as some of them found her forehead. Her eyes met Hwasa's and she nodded her head in the direction of her car, expecting Hwasa to follow her. Only Hwasa shook her head gently and took her other hand. 

"Just a little longer unnie. Please?"

She nodded quietly and watched as Hwasa looked above them. She stayed that way for a long time, long enough for the rain to begin falling in earnest. Solar was sure they were going to get sick, but decided it was worth it to see Hwasa so relaxed. And that reassurance let her relax too, let her close her eyes like Hwasa and feel the rain running down her face. It felt familiar. Like the time Hwasa had splashed her in the pool at a Venice hotel and gotten them kicked out. Only she had never done that. 

Solar frowned. She and Hwasa had never even left the country, much less gone all the way to Venice, so why did she have that image? She shook her head and pushed the thought away. Maybe it was wishful thinking, anticipating the day they would be free of student debts and free to travel. Yeah, to be free of debt would be great. She shuddered thinking of the massive debt Hyejin had pulled up gambling in Hong Kong. 

Wait.

Solar's eyes snapped open to find Hwasa looking at her again. With that same look of wonder and barely contained excitement. Waiting.

"Close your eyes again unnie. Trust me."

Solar did as she was told. She felt Hwasa take her arms and wrap them around the younger girl's neck before placing her own around Solar's waist. She was warm. Was somehow warm despite the rain and the night. And she felt herself grow warm too. Like she was back in bed with Hwasa cuddling the night away in their house. Their daughter asleep in the room next to them. Safe and sound in a different place, a different time. Things were much more simple back then. But then again it wasn't nearly as convenient as it was now, what with internet and smartphones. Thank the gods for that. 

The rain faded and Solar opened her eyes again, once more met with Hwasa's gaze.

"Yongsun unnie?"

Solar frowned slightly, her mind wandering through her memories.

"Hwasa?"

The younger girl was staring at her now. Not out of excitement, but out of fear. Her arms unwrapped themselves and the older girl suddenly found herself being held at arms length. Tears were gathering in her eyes as she frantically scanned the face in front of her.

"W-wait, Solar? Did it not work? You were suppos-"

"Shush of course it worked. I was just wondering how you came up with a name like Hwasa. You silly little lion."

Yongsun pulled her in for a hug again, relishing in the feeling after so long. Even though technically they had been hugging just moments ago. She tucked the crying girl's head into the crook of her neck and rocked them back and forth. Her hand rubbed small circles across the shaking back. She felt lips move against her collarbone and could hear the vague mumbling.

"What did you say?"

"What's my name?"

"Hey calm down, it worked just fin-"

"J-just say it. Please?"

Yongsun closed her eyes and tightened the hug. It was always disorienting to have everything rush back all at once. But it was okay. She was back and she had forever more to spend with her beloved.

"You're okay Hyejin. Yongsun unnie is back."