I Promised

Think About It

Wheein had never hated herself more in her lifetime than she did in that one moment. That moment where she went soft and gave in instead of doing what was right for herself and for her. That moment where she decided she'd make it work no matter what happened because she was not about to lose her. That moment where she commited herself to heartbreak and crocodile smiles.

Of course she hadn't meant it that way. In the moment she thought she was being mature and accepting a failure as it was. It'd be insufferable to simply abandon her after all they'd been through, so they promised to be there for each other.

To be best friends and nothing more.

For the umpteenth time Wheein refreshed her Instagram feed and sighed. With each successive swipe she drove a nail deeper and deeper into her own heart, deeper than it had already been from the start. Picture after picture went past. Each sent a wave crashing through Wheein's mind until she finally gave up and closed her eyes. Those same faces and colors flashed behind her eyelids until they were met with the blackness of sleep.


"Wheein?"

Wheein looked up from her book at the tall ashen haired girl. Their legs intertwined as Moonbyul relaxed after work while her puppy read. Wheein cocked her head curiously.

"Can we talk?" Moonbyul extracted herself from the tangle of legs and sat facing Wheein. The book found itself dog-eared, closed, and set aside. 

"What's wrong Byul? Did something happen at work?"

"No it's not that. It's just that... I feel like we uh.... I think we need to explore outside of this relationship."

Bombs dropped in Wheein's head and she frantically ran the past few days through her head. She must have forgotten something, done something to upset Moonbyul, there's no way this could actually happen. 

"I just think that we should at least explore and try to date other people. You know I love you and I know you love me. But this isn't the time for us right now."

Moonbyul finally looked across the couch that suddenly seemed miles long. Wheein's eyes were already waiting for her, distraught and confused. 

"What do you mean this isn't the time for us? Is our time supposed to arrive in a year and we're just here early?" Wheein drew herself in and buried her head in her knees. Moonbyul traversed the space between them and wrapped her arms around the other girl. 

"I mean you're my first serious relationship and I don't want it to go wrong. You know what they say about first loves." Moonbyul tightened her hug. "They always never work out."

Wheein could feel every fiber of her body wanting to revolt against this ridiculous notion. She wanted to make Moonbyul stay, to make her see how wrong she was. But she didn't.

"If you want to explore go ahead. I'll still be waiting for our time." 

Moonbyul wanted to emphasize the point that they'd both be exploring but one look at Wheein's face silenced that. 

"I'm not going to ignore you while I look around Wheein. We're already best friends in a relationship, now we'll just be best friends for a while!"

"Promise unnie?"

"I promise."

So that was it. 

Best friends.

"Okay then."


Wheein woke up, liquid sadness flowing throughout her body and out onto her face. It was her promise and her fault things ended up this way. But she had already promised everything. She had promised Moonbyul that she would be fine Moonbyul wanted to talk about her dates. She had promised that she was happy for Moonbyul. She had promised that she, herself, was fine. All of that was thrown out on day zero of their new best friendship.  But Wheein had promised already. So she smiled and gave advice about anything whenever Moonbyul asked. It was a mask she needed to keep up to keep Moonbyul, so she did. Sometimes it's easier to do when they just texted instead of face to face.

Through her heartache and through her tears Wheein could see a glowing light next to her. Picking up her phone and seeing the message, she put on her mask once again.

From Moonie Unnie:

Wheeinieee she's trying to break up with me and I can't stand to lose her what do I do? She says she doesn't feel a connection but what does that even mean because I definitely do. I want to make this work HELPPPPP

Deeper and deeper the nail sunk in, all the while Wheein began typing... 

 

A/N: Welp I'm back for the first time in forever. I'm sorry for such a long absence but things have been tearing up my life it seems which is partly the reason why I found myself writing again. As a small insight into that, this storyline is loosely (***READ*** very closely ***READ***) based on what is going on right now. Therefore as a way to jump back in I'm coining a phrase of mine.

"Depresso Espresso"

I did notice that I was gaining subscribers though. You guys are awesome and the sight of those notifications also made me feel slightly guilty so here we go. Let me know if you guys have any ideas/ starters/ stories you want to see but can't seem to really find.

P.S I'm not sure if Depresso Espresso is a thing somewhere so if you know, let me know