August Light (Idea)

Think About It

The light was fading in their small college town. Amber rays were no longer bouncing around but were settling in, casting deep but comforting shadows around every corner. People were closing shops, waving goodbye to eachother and drifting off towards their dorms and apartments, the streets slowly but surely clearing. The end of summer was approaching and people were preparing for a variety of things. First years were finally over, final years were about to be entered, and an entire class was about to leave with degrees to their names. Only a select few were confident and ready for all the change. Most were nervous for some reason or another. And that was all fine. The town had become familiar in the years these people lived here, some for longer than others. It was difficult coming to the unknown and even harder to leave once it no longer was unknown. Goodbyes were inevitable. 

But just because they were inevitable didn’t make them any easier. People were reluctant to leave their friends, their paths splitting off because of a simple choice of career. Years of experiences and bonding left to the mercy of a decision made ages ago. Some had already changed this decision already, a few too many times to do it once more. People had created lives during the time they were there, only to move on once they became comfortable. It was hard and it was necessary.

Yongsun had grown too accustomed to the town. In her first year she was shy, awkward, and clumsy, drawing slight ire from the younger students but mostly amusement from the upperclassmen and the older residents. Her second year she grew out of her shell for a small while, before arguments with her parents drove her back in. She had wanted to be a flight attendant, only requiring a basic degree and already knowing friends who might help her get a job immediately. Her parents had wanted better for their youngest though. They forced the path of a nurse down and forced her back into her shy nature. She grew even more quiet and reserved in her third year, pushing through all the work she had never wanted to do. This continued through to her fifth year. Then her mentor phase started and she was assigned a younger student to introduce to the program. 


The first day of the mentor program was surprisingly memorable to Yongsun. She was simply there, holding a name placard alongside her fellow mentors. Her card read Jung Wheein. A random name picked from a hat the day prior, nothing more than another student hoping to gain a foothold in the health industry. Bright faces were filing into the hall, waving to their friends as they found their mentors. Slowly the atmosphere grew louder and more boisterous as the younger students chatted excitedly. Yongsun couldn’t help but rule some of them out. They just didn’t seem the type to make it through the entire program. Some were too confident and others were much too meek. The program director eventually came out, tapping the microphone to announce himself. Immediatly the hall went silent and hundreds of heads swivelled to the man who would decide whether they succeeded or failed. As they did there was a single head who didn’t turn. Yongsun, having realized her student had not arrived yet, was anxiously scanning the back of the hall. Through the ranks of those both younger and taller than her she could spot an equally anxious face just now opening the door. 

Oh jeez I have one of these kinds of kids. Yongsun signed internally and started to gently worm her way through the crowd. She had barely even moved though before a loud voice echoed through the entire hall. 

“Hello, my name is Jung Wheein! I'm sorry for coming late. Where’s my mentor?”

An entire sea of bodies turned to look at the source of the voice, some very much amused and others scornful. This girl seemed oblivious to all of this however, simply waiting for an answer. The director paused for a second to process this turn of events before addressing the crowd.

"Ah yes Jung Wheein. Would her mentor please raise their placard?"

Yongsun forced her arm to respond, raising the card inch by inch into the air. The other mentors closest to her gave her looks of pity, some of them offering words of encouragement in dealing with the new student. Others who knew Yongsun a little more were gently reminding her that she was the older one and not to let the kid get too rowdy. Her cheeks burned a bright red as her fellow students reminded her of her quiet and understated personality. She nodded though and whispered thanks to those around her. 

"Kim Yongsun! Well Ms. Jung you seem to have gotten lucky with your mentor. Though you are late and will be losing points for your tardiness, Ms. Kim is one of our best at the moment. I would advise you to learn everything you can." The director gestured towards Yongsun, who nodded her head in thanks, before continuing his introduction of the program.

Wheein made her way through the crowd quickly, reaching Yongsun and standing next to her quietly. While the younger student was focused on trying to catch up on what she missed, the elder was trying to puzzle out what kind of student she had. Though she had been late, she seemed self assured in the way she addressed an entire hall of upperclassmen. This wasn't what Yongsun had seen on the girl's face when she opened the door, but maybe that was just from the rush. She had to have been at least competent enough to qualify for the program even though she appeared rather... scatterbrained. While her head was angled towards the director, the rest of her body was never at rest. Her feet shuffled to some unheard tune and her hands went from her hair to her sweater to her pockets and back up again. Certainly an odd trait for a medical student.

In the midst of her contemplations she hadn't noticed that the majority of the students had left already, having been dismissed to show their counterparts around the campus. She seemed so lost in her thoughts that Wheein had to speak up. 

"Yongsun-ssi? Should we get going?"

Yongsun abruptly glanced around at the words, noting the other students flowing out. She turned towards her mentee with an apologetic smile before waving for her to follow.

"Sorry about that, I faded out for his presentation. Trust me though there's nothing really important about what he said. If you have any questions just ask okay?" 

Wheein offered a small smile back and nodded her head in thanks.

"Would you like to see the entire campus today then? We have a few days to get you settled in so its no rush if you're tired."

"Umm no thank you Yongsun-ssi, could I just have a look around the dorms?"

Yongsun smiled again and started to lead the way to the dorm before suddenly turning around and addressing Wheein again.

"By the way you're gonna be working with me for the next three years so just call me unnie okay?"

Wheein flooded with red from her neck upwards and nodded.

"Okay..." 

Yongsun didn't move, looking at her dongsaeng expectantly.

"...unnie."