Chapter 9

A Long Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They stay until midnight, and Joonmyeon is surprised that the nurses hadn't told them to leave even though visiting hours had long ended. But then he remembered why and felt his heart plummet. He should really stop doing that but Joonmyeon couldn't help it. He's just not ready to accept the facts yet.

It's a good thing that they stayed a little longer because the door opens a little pass midnight to reveal Kyungsoo in his usual all-black attire, and he stood frozen at the door as Sehun whirls around in shock. They stare at each other quietly before Kyungsoo rushes into the room and wraps his arms around the man's torso, making the other sob again before returning the hug. Joonmyeon watches from the side with a serene smile on his face, and when he glances down at Yifan who has his head on his lap, he sees the man closing his eyes with a small smile, clearly feeling the same warmth that Joonmyeon is feeling from the sight.

Kyungsoo is the first to pull away and he wipes away the tears on Sehun's cheek before gesturing for the younger to go to the bathroom to wash his face. Sehun pouts but listens, and Kyungsoo watches him go before turning to Joonmyeon who is on the couch. Kyungsoo looks tired. He has dark circles under his eyes and he seems a little pale, probably tired from a whole day of filming. Kyungsoo tilts his head, possibly wondering why Joonmyeon remain seated instead of coming up to greet him, but then his expression morphs into wonder and turns hopeful.

Joonmyeon could already hear his question before the man could ask. "Yeah, he's here." he tells Kyungsoo and glances down at the man sleeping with Joonmyeon's lap as his pillow. Kyungsoo's eyes follow his gaze and he looks like he's going to cry as well. But then he lifts his gaze to Joonmyeon and smiles softly.

"Is he... sleeping?"

Joonmyeon nods. "Yeah, he's been doing a lot of that lately. I think it's because of... time."

"He's getting weaker, isn't he?" Kyungsoo wonders quietly as he stands closer to the couch, eyes remaining on Joonmyeon's lap. He squints his big eyes like as if the action would help him see Yifan, but Joonmyeon somehow knew it is useless. "When are they going to switch off the machines?" Kyungsoo asks him next. He was informed by Yunho himself by Joonmyeon's request.

Joonmyeon swallows hard and his dry lips anxiously. "By the end of this week." he says and sighs. "That's like three days away from now."

"I can't believe this," the other mutters and rubs away the tears in his eyes. "I had always hoped that you'd call me to tell me that Yifan's awake, so I didn't keep in mind that something like this could also happen."

"Me too," Joonmyeon admits quietly. "I never thought that I would ever have to say goodbye to my best friend."

Like as if he could feel Joonmyeon's anxiety, Yifan begins to stir in his sleep, looking very restless with the frown on his face. Joonmyeon soothes him by running his fingers in his hair, and Yifan lets out a deep, contented sigh before he begins to breath easily again, quickly falling back into an easy sleep. Joonmyeon feels Kyungsoo eyes on him and looks up to see Kyungsoo with tears falling down his face.

"He really is here, isn't he?" When Joonmyeon nods, Kyungsoo sinks onto his knees and quickly covers his mouth as he sobs. Joonmyeon is too tired to even reach for Kyungsoo, but he keeps his eyes on him as he quietly cries in his hand. "Oh my god, I just-"

"You didn't believe me before."

Kyungsoo looks at him at that. "I did but I had my doubts," he admits and wipes his tears away. "But I know such thing is possible and I knew you'd never lie about something like this."

"I could be hallucinating." Joonmyeon says bitterly, repeating Yifan's words. But Kyungsoo shakes his head and takes his hand on his lap, and Joonmyeon sees Yifan blinking his eyes open as he feels Kyungsoo's touch, unknown to the man himself of course.

"I don't think you are, Joonie. I believe you when you say you could see him."

"See who?" comes a voice and they both whip their heads to the side to see Sehun standing by the bathroom door. He is frowning at the two of them, eyes glancing back and forth between them, gaze full of suspicions. "What are you guys talking about?"

Joonmyeon is taken aback by the question. He didn't know if he should tell the younger about his ability to see Yifan. He knew Sehun would never believe him because the other does not believe in anything that is supernatural. Even Kyungsoo doubted him, even if it was just a little, but still. And maybe there is a selfish part of Joonmyeon who only wants to be the only one to know this, aside from Kyungsoo that is. But luckily Kyungsoo is quick to cover up his hesitation.

"Yifan," he says, making Joonmyeon turn to him. "Joon has been seeing Yifan in his dreams."

Sehun immediately deflates at that and Joonmyeon is glad that he is quick to trust Kyungsoo's lie. The youngest of them moves to take a seat beside Joonmyeon on the couch and nestles close to his side, practically plastering himself there. Kyungsoo gives him a look and Joonmyeon responds by glancing at a spot behind him, and Kyungsoo understood the message immediately. Joonmyeon sees the man glancing behind him wistfully but quickly turns back to Sehun lets out a sigh.

"What did Yifan-ge say to you in y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter