Chapter 5

A Long Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Joonmyeon sinks into the couch at the corner of the room, further away from the bed as possible. He gasps for breath, fighting the urge to wail and cry, but he couldn't stop the few drops of tears from flowing down his face. Yifan is dying, he whimpers. He's going to leave me.

Said man kneels down in front of him and Joonmyeon stares at him, his face red from witholding his cries. Yifan looks the same as he always did; golden hair, deep brown eyes that could scare people away, small mouth and thick lips. His eyes are smiling at him now and Joonmyeon whimpers as he realizes that it's him. It's my best friend. As if hearing his thoughts, Yifan nods and suddenly he looks like he's going to cry as well.

A sight that no one but Joonmyeon has ever witnessed.

Even when the others were still around, Yifan never leaned into any one of them and showed them his weak side. Only when no one was looking would Yifan lean towards Joonmyeon and allowed himself to be weak and vulnerable, otherwise he was the strong, charismatic and cold city guy Wu Yifan. A façade which he carried in order to protect himself.

"Mr. Kim?" Joonmyeon looks away from Yifan to see Jung Yunho, Yifan's doctor, standing at the doorway with a worried frown on his face. He has a clipboard in his hand and a stethoscope around his neck, wearing a white lab coat over his working attire. He steps into Yifan's room and closes the door quietly behind him before coming to stand near the couch where Joonmyeon is sitting to peer down at him. "Are you alright, Mr. Kim? I heard from Nurse Song that you've been in here since dawn. I didn't expect to see you still here."

Joonmyeon averts his gaze from the doctor and stares at the man who is still kneeling near his feet, and he knows then that Yunho could not see Yifan like he could. The reality of the matter makes him duck his head and release the sob he's been trying to surpress. Yunho flusters at his sudden outburst and awkwardly pats his back.

"A-Are you hurt, Mr. Kim? Is something wrong?" Yunho asks, perplexed.

It takes a while for Joonmyeon to stop crying, and when he did, his eyes are red and sore-looking. Yunho is sitting beside him on the couch by then, and the doctor waits patiently for Joonmyeon to speak up while still patting his back. "Doctor Jung, please be honest with me." Joonmyeon whispers, swallowing hard.

"Of course."

"Is Yifan dying? Is my best friend going to leave me soon?"

The hand patting his back stills, and Yifan reaches a hand to grab onto Joonmyeon's clentched fist on his lap. He glances at Yifan and sees the man's pained smile, but of course Yunho could not see that. Joonmyeon thinks he knows the answer to his question already, and he pulls away from both men to stand at the windowstill, looking out to the streets below. He remembers that this is the exact spot where he thought he saw a shadow moving while he stood glancing up at this window from across the street from the hospital.

"Is there no way to prevent this, doctor?" Joonmyeon asks painfully without looking at the man.

Yunho stands up from the couch and stares at Joonmyeon's pitiful back, unaware of the towering figure standing beside him. "I'm sorry, Mr. Kim. It's already a miracle that he's held on up to this point," he says regretfully. "Mr. Wu's health has long deteriorated and there's absolutely no hope for him to wake up now."

"Have you... talked to his family about this?"

Yunho nods despite Joonmyeon being unable to see his action. "I did, but Mr. Wu's mother told me to discuss this matter with you as well." Joonmyeon looks surprised at that as he turns to the doctor. "You are his best

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter