Chapter 12

A Long Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We found Yixing.”

Yifan lifts his head from the TV screen to stare at Joonmyeon, and the latter smiles at him before repeating his words. Yifan rolls his eyes at that. “I heard you the first time, Joonmyeon,” he says and turns back to the screen.

“Aren’t you curious on how we found him?” Joonmyeon asks, tilting his head.

Yifan sighs. “How did you find him?’

Joonmyeon notices the lack of interest in Yifan’s tone and expression, and something tells him that there is something wrong with his best friend. But Joonmyeon didn’t want to simply jump into conclusion and chooses to ignore it, pretending like he didn’t notice any weird changes on the man’s behaviour.

“Well, it’s more to him who found us,” he reveals. “Apparently, Yixing has been working in China all these years and would fly over whenever he could. He went to the hospital to visit you and bumped into the beagle group just as they were leaving.” Joonmyeon side glances his best friend who has been absentmindedly nodding his head before asking, “Yifan, do you remember having Yixing visit you while you were in a coma?”

“I’m still in a coma, Joon.”

“Don’t need to remind me that. And you know what I mean.”

“Yes, I remember. Barely, but it’s there. I can still hear his voice inside my head,” Yifan says, eyes gazing away. “I don’t remember the things he’s told me though. I don’t see him enough like I do Kyungsoo to remember the things he’s said to me while I was asleep.”

“You knew Sehun visited you once in a drunken manner though,” Joonmyeon points out. “How is that possible?”

Yifan his bottom lip, frowns and then twitches his nose in a rather adorable manner. “I think… I think that’s when my spirit first started to wander around,” he says which takes Joonmyeon by surprise. Yifan rolls his eyes at the look on his face. “Come on, you know that I’m a spirit right now with a body in a coma at the hospital. I’m half-dead, Joon.”

“Yifan…”

“Sorry. What I mean is, you know what I am right now and I think I’ve been doing it since Sehun’s drunken visit. But I don’t remember much because maybe that time, my spirit was still unable to leave my body like it could now.”

“That would’ve sounded creepy if it wasn’t you, FanFan.” Joonmyeon says then does a double-take. “You know what, I take that back. It’s still scary. A spirit wandering around is not so impossible, but the fact that I can very much communicate with you like I do with everyone else is just mind-blowing.”

“Yet you’re still here talking to me.” Yifan deadpans.

“And why wouldn’t I be?” Joonmyeon counters, making Yifan flush. “You’re my best friend and as crazy as it looks, I’d still talk to you even though I’m the only one who can see you.”

Yifan scoffs at that. “You’re so weird.”

“The one and only.” Joonmyeon grins, making Yifan laugh.

Joonmyeon settles back on the couch, feeling a sudden pang in his heart. He’s missed joking around with Yifan like this, and knowing that the time to do so is limited makes him want to cry. But he held his tears in, knowing that he has to be strong for Yifan who is hurting a lot from the thought of leaving all his loved ones behind. But Joonmyeon’s will dies easily when Yifan lies down with his head on Joonmyeon’s lap (he lets out a silent gasp when he feels the weight of Yifan’s head) and lets out a satisfied sigh.

“This is nice,” Yifan mumbles as he closes his eyes, and Joonmyeon silently wipes his tears away as Yifan falls asleep.

 

 

***

 

 

Yifan is asleep in the backseat of Joonmyeon’s car, and the latter is sitting with his right shoulder leaning against the driver’s seat, one leg folded underneath him as he does so in order to look at his best friend. Yifan looks tired and pale as a spirit, and Joonmyeon wonders if that was possible, and he wonders how rotten Yifan feels as he goes around seeing the people he’s used to seeing when he was still bodily available in his current state.

For the past few days, Yifan has been spending a lot of time at his mother’s house and watching his colleagues from his modelling days come by the hospital to visit him one last time, and he’d spend his nights at Joonmyeon’s place whenever Joonmyeon is not staying overnight at the hospital. He’d also come along with Joonmyeon when the latter was out meeting their friends, but seeing how tired he looks lately made Joonmyeon guilty to bring him along.

But this time, Yifan insists. “I want to spend my last few days with you, Joon. As much as I can,” he had said to Joonmyeon when the other suggested him to stay in bed to rest. “Why should I be resting when I’m about to die anyway?”

Safe to say, Joonmyeon has been in a rather depressing mood since his morning started.

There is a knock on the window by the other side of the car that made Joonmyeon jump, successfully snapping him out of his trance and he quickly unlocks the door for Yixing to climb in. The Chinese man greets him with a dimpled smile and reaches out to embrace him, and Joonmyeon ruffles his hair when they pull away.

“Did you wait long?” Yixing asks him. Joonmyeon shakes his head. “Oh good. What were you doing anyway? You looked very distracted.”

“I was just… thinking.”

“Thinking, or staring at Yifan?” Joonmyeon’s eyes widens at that, and Yixing flashes him a small smile before turning his head to look at the backseat where Yifan is. Joonmyeon thinks his heart is about to burst out of his chest. Yixing can see him too? “He looks so peaceful sleeping like this.”

“You… you can see him?” Yixing nods. “But how?”

Yixing looks at him weirdly and makes an offended face. “You must’ve forgotten a very important fact about me, Joon.”

“What fact?”

“I’m a unicorn, remember?”

There is a very intense silence as Joonmyeon stares at Yixing while the other returns his look with a small smile on his face, which further makes it more annoying for Joonmyeon. He hears a rustling of noise which breaks the silence and turns his head out of habit to see Yifan sitting up and rubbing his eyes.

“I think we dropped this one a lot when he was a baby,” Yifan comments and then yawns.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter