Chapter 8

A Long Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan refuses to believe him, but Minseok is already on the verge of tears.

Another squeeze of his hand from Yifan encourages him to talk again despite the huge lump in his throat. "We're going to pull the plug off him by the end of this week," Joonmyeon reveals quietly, holding in his own tears. "The doctor says that there's no..." He swallows hard, "-hope for Yifan anymore. We- We're only turtoring him by holding on to him like this."

"Oh my god..." Minseok whimpers, burying his face at Luhan's shoulder and his body shakes as he starts to cry. Luhan wraps an arm around him and tries to pacify him, but the Chinese man is also shedding tears.

Luhan then looks at Joonmyeon and whispers, "Joonmyeon, what- what have I done?"

Joonmyeon sees the anguish and pain in Luhan's eyes, and he feels like he couldn't stand to look at him any longer. Luhan is obviously blaming himself for not being by his good friend's side all these years, and honestly, Joonmyeon didn't know what to say to that. So he turns his head to where Yifan is... or where he was a moment ago. He's gone! Joonmyeon's heart hammers in his chest and for a moment, he gets scared that Yifan had left way earlier than he's supposed to; but then he sees a figure move from the corner of his eyes and to his astonishment, he witness Yifan walking through the door to the kitchen instead of pushing the door open.

He's a freaking spirit, Joonmyeon. Of course he can walk through doors, Joonmyeon thinks and turns back to the couple. Luhan is still out of it, looking dazed and in disbelief while Minseok has his head down, sniffling and occasionally wiping his tears. He sighs, not wanting to interrupt them but then Luhan blinks and slowly looks at him again.

"Yifan is still at the same place, right?" he asks. He didn't bother to wait for an answer and grabs Minseok, making the other turn to him. "Let's go to Seoul. We can stay with your family and let the others manage the café while we're gone."

"What about Meihui?" Minseok asks but Joonmyeon could see that he is already in with the plan.

"We take her with us. I'm not letting her stay here without one of us with her. Forget about school; Yifan needs us and we're going to be there for him." Luhan says, his tone final before locking gazes with Joonmyeon. "We have a lot of catching up to do with him."

Joonmyeon nods but gets reminded about something else. "Have you guys been in contact with the others? I- I need to inform them as well."

"I meet up with Sehun sometimes," Luhan confesses. "And he told me that Tao is currently in Manila for some fashion summit there."

Right... Zitao is now a fashion designer.

"Any idea how I can get a hold of them? I need to bring everyone together before... Well, I just need to even if Yifan wasn't dying." Joonmyeon says, his tone somber. "It's been so long since I've last seen everyone, and I miss all our times together. Even the pranks Chanyeol and Baekhyun used to throw at us, and of course with Jongdae as the mastermind."

Minseok chuckles at that. "God, I hated it when they did that. Jongdae tied my shoelaces with Kyungsoo once and made us sprawl onto the floor. Kyungsoo really thought him a lesson when he burnt one of his rock CD collection as revenge."

Joonmyeon laughs at that. He still remembers Jongdae's pleads and cries when Kyungsoo had gotten a hold of one of his CD collections, but the funny thing was that Kyungsoo was merely threatening him with it but ended up burning the CD when he accidentally staggered onto something and dropped the object right into Jongin's burning fireplace.

Jongdae hid his collections ever since.

"I can give you Sehun's number now," Luhan says as he scrolls through his contacts. "But I don't have Zitao's. Sehun does since they keep in contact."

"Thanks, guys."

"Is there anything else we can do?" Minseok asks, tilting his head. Joonmyeon shakes his head which only makes him sigh. "Alright. Joon, thanks for telling us this. And thank you for being by Yifan's side all this while."

"He's my best friend, the only one I had after we all went our separate ways."

"We did went our separate ways, Joonmyeon. But trust me when I say that we all have a strong bond with each other, no matter the distance between us. Life distracted us and got in our way, but we should've held on like we promised we would. It's a rather unfortunate time to bring everyone back together, but it's better late than never." Luhan says.

Right... Better late than never.

 

 

***

 

 

Joonmyeon gets to see Meihui before he leaves, and to his surprise, she came out of the back room with Yifan in tow. He looks calmer than he did earlier and Joonmyeon frowns when he realizes the smile Meihui had flashed to Yifan before she ran into Luhan's arms. She didn't say a word about Yifan to her parents, but Joonmyeon could still tell that she was able to see Yifan as well as he did and had probably spent time with him in the back. When he asked Yifan about it in the car, the spirit merely smiles and shakes his head.

"She's such an angel," Yifan had said before leaning back in the seat with his eyes closed. "I wish she was my angel."

Joonmyeon didn't know what to say to that, but he knew what those words meant. Yifan had always dreamt of having a daughter of his own due to his love for children, especially little girls. He had once gushed about the pretty dresses he would buy for his little girl and promised to pamper her with lots of gifts and kisses. Joonmyeon thinks that it's really unfair for a good potential dad like Yifan to miss his chance of having his own child.

He distracts himself then by thinking back on his meeting with Luhan and Minseok. The couple had promised to be in Seoul by tomorrow as they need to inform Meihui's school of her absence first, and then their employees at the cafe. Recalling how well the business was doing, Joonmyeon feels proud of Luhan's and Minseok's achievement of building their dreams together and even raising a daughter at the side. He receives a text not a moment later and he smiles when he reads Luhan's message.

This is Sehun's address.

Included was the man's address, and Joonmyeon glances at the sleeping Yifan before smiling wider to himself. He really couldn't wait to see Sehun again.

 

 

***

 

 

"Where are we? Which kid lives here?"

Joonmyeon smiles in amusement at Yifan's question. The others used to say that Joonmyeon was the mother of the group will Yifan was their dad, and in return, the two began seeing their friends as their children instead. They often joked about being a family with ten kids and that Yifan was the -craved man who kept impregnating Joonmyeon, much to his embarrassment. Joonmyeon didn't say anything in reply at first, but only when they got into the elevator to the 25th floor did Joonmyeon turn to Yifan.

"It's one of our younger kids, Fan." he said, smiling when Yifan rolls his eyes.

"That could be anyone after Jongdae," he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter