I Need a Girl

Just a Feeling

 

              An incessant, obnoxious sound cut through the hazy layers of unconsciousness surrounding Youngbae. He groaned and slapped his alarm off. Always an early riser, he’d begun to dread waking up in the morning. Waking up meant another day with him around. Seungri’s playful attitude was testing Youngbae’s patience and willpower. He was finding the younger man so damn cute lately; the way his smile seemed to light up the room, the way his energy and enthusiasm was infectious, the way he found joy in the simplest things, the way he… Youngbae stopped his train of thought before it got out of hand. Seungri was like his little brother, and he needed to stop obsessing over the younger man. Youngbae groaned, pushing thoughts of the sweet man out of his mind, working to find a solution to his new problem. After minutes of thinking, an idea hit him like a ton of bricks, and a slow grin spread across the sleepy man’s face.

                He broached the subject after breakfast, although he knew that Jiyong was half-dead in the morning. “Jiyong,” he ventured, but got no response from slimmer man, who was brushing his teeth robotically. “Jiyong,” Youngbae tried again. This time the man in question looked away from the mirror and towards his friend, a dazed look in his eyes.

                “Neh?” Jiyong grunted.

                Youngbae’s best friend was unprepared for what he heard next. “Jiyong, I need a girl.” The skinny man’s jaw dropped and he turned to face his friend, wide awake now. Jiyong rubbed his eyes and examined his ears before turning back to Youngbae, whose face had grown red while he waited for his friend’s response.

                Jiyong giggled, “About time, isn’t it? I’m glad you’ve decided to get out there and go for it!” Jiyong frowned slightly, thinking. “Not that I’m not happy with your decision, but why the change of heart, Bae? You’ve never been interested in dating before…” Jiyong’s voice faded as he pondered the curious matter. Another thing occurred to the shocked man, “And why are you telling me you need a girl?”

                Youngbae ignored Jiyong’s first question, although he answered it silently. Youngbae needed a girl to distract him and take his mind off things, Seungri specifically. Youngbae smiled cheekily, “I’m asking you, Ji, because you’re the one with plenty of girls who’d love to go out with you. Set me up, will you?” He winked at his friend, who was frozen, his jaw once again hanging open. The Youngbae he knew didn’t act like this, wasn't this bold, would never ask for a blind date. Where the hell had the man he knew gone, and who was this imposter? Jiyong blinked dazedly and turned back to the sink to finish brushing his teeth, still curious about his friend’s strange behavior. The slim man shook his head in wonder.

                Much later in the day Jiyong had set up a date with the perfect girl for his normally shy and reserved best friend. He smirked at Youngbae while two of them ate dinner together, giving the singer a knowing look. “Youngbae, I have a girl for you,” Jiyong announced matter-of-factly. Seungri’s wide-eyed face popped up from the nearby sofa and he turned to stare at his hyungs.

                It was Youngbae’s turn to be surprised. “Already?” he squeaked out.

                Jiyong giggled at his friend’s antics. This was much more like the bashful Bae he was used to. “Of course, Bae. I took care of it all. You’re free tomorrow, right?” Jiyong asked, although he already knew the answer. Youngbae nodded silently, and Jiyong smiled smugly.

Neither of them noticed Seungri’s horrified gaze as he took in the news that Youngbae had a date. He wasn’t sure why he was so unhappy about his hyung’s upcoming outing, since he should’ve been glad his hyung was getting over his shyness and had decided to play the dating game. He sat frozen for a few moments before moving his gaze back to the TV. The television was on, but no one watched it; Seungri merely stared into space, his heart and mind in confusion.