CHAPTER 8: SPARK

The Fantasy of 1479 Silver Years

The shop was busy as always. Mornings meant more people than usual. Every morning people came in, drank their coffee, or tea. They were chatting with their friends or just looking around and enjoying the view that the windows allowed you to see: a misty island at the break of the day, a peaceful island at noon and a blue island at sundown. Some would not even try to look out, being on their phones, scrolling away their morning and others would just come and take their morning on the go. Busier people, Jaehyun thought. It was peaceful and somehow this morning rush gave him a feeling that time was moving on, moving along with him. For the first time in so long he felt as if life was finally flowing through his veins; maybe it was flowing too fast. He looked at Taeyong flashing smiles to his customers, then back to him, watching carefully how he ate his eggs and how once in a while took a sip of his morning tea.  Looking at everyone pacing around, taking orders, smiling happily, making food and chatting with each other calmed him down somehow.

If ‘Camelot’ made him feel like home before, he was feeling home now for sure. Everyone acted like themselves again. Sometimes forgetting they aren’t in year 534, that they are no longer in the service of the king, they acted like Taeyong was ruling them again, like they had to once again bow from time to time, to choose their words carefully not to upset the king, but they didn’t seem to care, or notice. Doyoung was still the same, because he was the first to remember and then when he met Taeyong he didn’t have to change anything because he was like that from the start. Taeil didn’t feel the need to do it at first, but maybe now it triggered something in him too, a need to act like a knight and not just a normal friend. Taeil was always the polite one, quiet and looking more humble, somehow looking shy, so he was the first one to let a bow slip when he passed by Taeyong, making the silver haired boy blush. Jaehyun chuckled at that, seeing the small smile that left his lips when he passed by him. Ten followed soon after, needing something from Taeyong and addressing him with ‘your highness’, surprising even himself but then smiling softly at his choice of words, making Jaehyun chuckle because they all slowly seemed to go back to that time. Johnny was still his cocky self and wouldn’t call Taeyong ‘king’ or bow, but he was careful with the words he chose and the way he talked with Jaehyun.

Jaehyun looked at them and smiled. It was nice, seeing how everyone tried to act normal when in fact you could see that they were smiling more than usual, that somehow deep down, they are happy they met once more, that they could be in the service of the king once more. Deep down they felt empty, felt as if they had no purpose anymore, because their king was gone and they accepted that, but the hole he left in their hearts remained. The impact was the greatest on Jaehyun, he never accepted that his king was gone, and the whole he left him with was consuming him from inside. But now, every hole, every spark of hope they lost that year, that sad day, was being filled with happiness and bliss. Taeyong came back, maybe because the prophecy was wrong, and it wasn’t Britain that needed the king, it was the people he left behind that needed him again.

Every knight had its own will, its own responsibility to carry on its shoulders, but unlike other knights of the king, every knight of the Round Table was special. The Knights were men of courage, honor, dignity, courtesy, and nobleness. They protected those in need, honored and fought for kings, and undertook dangerous quests. Each one of them had something that was needed in battle or in a quest, each knight was selected by the king and the table meant that they could sit down to it, talk problems freely and be equals. Taeyong never looked down on his knights. He was playful and liked to tease, his ego might be big and he is a brat sometimes, but maybe that personality was what made others follow him. Of course, as every human is, they tend to like someone more than others. Jaehyun was never a knight so he was out of the question but when it came to choosing a favorite, it meant Dong Young. The loyal one that in the end betrayed the king.

Maybe the way Doyoung acts now it’s his way of apologizing for his mistakes, for the kindness he took advantage of, for the sins he committed and for the shame he bought to his beloved king. Taeyong, however, didn’t seem to carry any remorse to the adultery they committed. Maybe the way Taeil cares for Doyoung and the way Doyoung cares for him is their way of apologizing to their queen. Maybe they are trying to give each other the love she couldn’t get in her life, not in the past and not in the present either.

 

 

 

The more he looked at them, the more Jaehyun felt something in his heart, something he couldn’t describe. It was as if he was forgetting something, as if his mind was playing tricks on him now when it was all going so well. He looked at how people started to fade out one by one, how Johnny and Ten stole kisses when they thought no one was looking, how Taeil stared at Doyoung from his corner, with a longing in his eyes that he didn’t understand why it was there. Yuta hummed in the kitchen and after the first hour passed and the store got even busier, his phone rang and abandoning everything and letting someone else take over he got out of the kitchen and went in the corner where the pillows were and took the call. Jaehyun remembered the way he beamed when he smiled, the way his smile broke out at times when the other one said something on the phone and then when it was about to end the call there was a sadness in his eyes that resembled something familiar. He didn’t know who Yuta talked with, but it was there, the one thing Jaehyun could pin down for sure, there was rainbow in his smile when he talked and then rain poured down in his eyes when he hung up. He noted that as being love, a sad type at that; probably unrequired.

“What’s wrong?” someone said from his right and Jaehyun stopped phasing out and focused on the voice that addressed him, “What’s with that sad expression on your face?” 

“No, it’s nothing, I was just thinking about something.” Jaehyun spoke slowly, still thinking about that strange feeling he has in his stomach that he is forgetting something important.

“Don’t think about it if it’s something sad.” The boy said again and this time Jaehyun looked at him and saw the look of concern on his face. “I don’t want you to ever be sad again.”

“It’s ok, my king,” Jaehyun spoke as he let out a small chuckle, “As long as I’m by your side, I won’t ever be sad.”

“I told you to not call me king,” Taeyong said pouting and Jaehyun got up from his seat at the table and crossed it so he could kneel down and look at Taeyong from below, but Taeyong didn’t allow it, “It makes me feel weird if you call me king.” He finished as he stretched his hand and placed it on Jaehyun’s cheek and caressed it softly.

“I feel like I’m forgetting something.” Jaehyun let his concern out and Taeyong made him a sign to move and sit in his lap. “I don’t know if it’s that important, but it feels strange somehow.” Jaehyun went on as he nodded and slowly placed his legs on each side of Taeyong’s, and sat down facing him.

For a moment they felt eyes on them and it seemed as if they didn’t care. From where they stood, Taeyong’s back facing the window, Jaehyun could see Avalon in all its beauty. But he couldn’t focus on that at all, his eyes would always go back and meet that pair of dark eyes that bore into his soul and made him see fireflies. Taeyong wanted to kiss him, and Jaehyun could tell he was holding back. His eyes moved from his lips to his eyes again and Jaehyun knew fully well they were in public and that the others could see them display of affection and love but he didn’t care, he wanted this as much as Taeyong, so he nodded and allowed him to do everything he wanted. Because after all, he would always obey his king, no matter of the request. So he sat down on his lap and raising his arms Jaehyun circled Taeyong’s shoulders and let them rest there. Taeyong embraced his small waist and smiled at the thought of being able to do this with Jaehyun.  

“The only feel you’re going to get is my lips on yours.” Taeyong said and closed the space between them, taking Jaehyun on cloud nine again. Lighting up his spark and he felt a tingle in his fingers again. He was getting riled up and he wanted to use magic again. It was as if every time he kissed Taeyong his soul was reacting, as if Taeyong was taking his magic away, his life span and taking away his years.

“Ughgm,” Someone spoke from behind them and they broke the kiss instantly, looking back to where the voice came from. “I understand that you’re in love and want to show us, but you’re drawing too much attention.” Doyoung said and as Jaehyun looked around he noticed that some were staring at them and some were whispering things and he felt his cheeks heat up.

“Sorry.” Jaehyun managed to mumble.

“It’s not that I have something against it, but even Johnny and Ten have more control over this.” Doyoung completed and Jaehyun blushed harder as he got up from Taeyong’s lap and sat down next to him. Taeyong didn’t seem to care much, but the way his hand searched for Jaehyun and grabbed it tight made Jaehyun aware that he was also a bit embarrassed of his action.

“Right...” Doyoung said and as he turned to make his way towards Taeil he went on, “by the way, Mark said he’s bringing some friends today around noon.” And at that Jaehyun saw Taeyong flinch and tightened his grip.

“What time exactly?” Taeyong managed to say. He didn’t want to see Mark. Not now at least. He felt as if Mark could take him away from Jaehyun again. Something inside him lit up at the mention of his name and he didn’t want to even hear that name until he managed to forgive him; if he could.

“I do not know. Probably 1PM or so. He said he doesn’t have that many classes today.” Doyoung replied rather calmly, not seeing the way Taeyong tried to avoid his little brother. “Why do you ask? Do you need to be somewhere today?”

“N–“

“Yes,” Jaehyun cut in fast sensing the way Taeyong didn’t felt good about this, “I need to show him something. He can’t stay today, sorry.”

“Oh…” Doyoung said and then he looked at them better and realized the problem. He completely forgot for a moment that Taeyong remembered, he surely remembered about Mark and he might be his beloved brother now but he might not be comfortable with knowing that his baby brother killed him. He wouldn’t be at least. Even he understood now that he needed time to cope with his memories, like everyone took their time, Taeyong needed his time too. “I understand. I’ll tell him you had other matters to attend to and weren’t able to come.”

“Thank you.” Jaehyun replied and he could somehow feel the tensed atmosphere around Taeyong slipping away. Doyoung turned around and went back to his business.

They all got back to their thing and soon enough it was time for Mark to come. Jaehyun stood behind, sometimes chatting with Doyoung, reminiscing the old days and Taeil smiling softly at them. Taeil regretted somehow that he fell ill so fast, that he couldn’t be there to share these memories. Taeil didn’t know why this life allowed him to live, why he was given a second chance. He felt guilty for being the one to live, he didn’t feel worthy of loving Doyoung, he never thought he could love him like his departed sister could. Taeil didn’t feel like he could make Doyoung happy, even if the boy smiled at him, embraced him and cherished him, Taeil somehow didn’t feel like Doyoung was truly happy. To him, all the affection he was given felt like a form of responsibility rather than the love he wished it was.

When he wasn’t with Doyoung and Taeil, Jaehyun was with Yuta in the kitchen. He helped him a bit and they chatted for a bit more and when they started laughing more than doing what they had to do Jaehyun felt like he was meddling so he slowly left the kitchen with a smile and let Yuta do his job. He didn’t get the chance to ask about the person he talked to, the one that made him somehow feel sad. And maybe it was better this way, maybe not knowing will make him focus more on himself for once.

Taeyong stood on one of the chairs and fishing out his phone he checked the time and seeing that it showed 12:40PM he placed it back in his pocket and with a heavy sigh he got up and made way for the lockers. He had to go now if he didn’t want to run into Mark. He didn’t feel good about avoiding his little brother, but he was not ready to face him. He didn’t know what to say or what to expect of the man who killed him and took him away from the one he loves.

“Avoiding Mark now?” someone spoke from behind as he opened the door to his locker. The voice didn’t sound spiteful, more like teasing, cocky even.

“No,” Taeyong replied calmly, “I need to be somewhere, I can’t stay.”

“Somewhere with Jae, I assume?” and Taeyong needn’t look back to know that this was teasing for sure now and who that person was also.

“Maybe,” Taeyong said back smiling just a bit as he took off his shirt and placed it on the top shelf. “Why, do you want to ditch Ten and join us?” He turned around with a smug smile on his face and saw Johnny leaning on the door frame smiling back too.

“Join you where?” A head came out from behind Johnny, “We aren’t staying here either. We’re going shopping today.”

“We are?” Johnny said turning his head back, clearly forgetting about any appointment they had.

“Yeah dummy, Yuta’s birthday in two days, remember?” Ten said clearly not surprised.

“Oh right, Yuta.” Johnny said turning back to Taeyong. “Did you buy him something?”

“Uh,” Taeyong said and he felt a bit ashamed of getting caught up in his problems that he forgot about his friend birthday. “Yeah, we’re going to buy something today too.”

“We are?” Jaehyun said walking in and with a t-shirt in his hand and Taeyong smiled as he saw him come closer. “Figured you need this.” Jaehyun whispered, but Ten and Johnny could hear it clearly.

“Thanks.” Taeyong said, “And yeah we are. That’s the matter we had to do today, remember?” he went on trying to use his wiggly eyebrows to emphasize on their important plans and hope the two won’t realize that it was all bull and Taeyong completely forgot about Yuta.

“Ah yes, yes, how could I forget, the important matter…” Jaehyun said kind of confused, seeing how Taeyong eyes grew with each moment his lie didn’t seem to work, “The shopping business matter.”

“Ok well, it seems you have ‘matters’ to discuss about,” Ten said and letting out a small chuckle he grabbed Johnny by the hand “so, we are going to leave you alone. Have fun on your ‘shopping business’.” and they were gone before Taeyong could hear Johnny laugh and notice that they knew it was a lie and he forgot about it.

“So what do we have to do?” Jaehyun said as he chuckled a bit too and leaned against a locker, looking at Taeyong and how he was still half dressed. “I thought we were going home.” Jaehyun went on and by now he was gulping air. His fingers started to tickle again and he didn’t realize he was staring at Taeyong’s sharp collarbones and at the way his arms flexed when he needed to get something a bit heavy from the locker.

“Well,” Taeyong said and noticing the pair of eyes that scanned his body he placed the shirt Jaehyun brought him on his shoulder and took a few steps so he was able to straddle Jaehyun on the locker. “We are going home.” He said leaning closer, his breath fawning over Jaehyun’s lips, “Yours, since I live with my parents and they don’t know yet.” And with a smirk he leaned closer and locked their lips together.

Jaehyun felt his skin hot, the tingling sensation in his fingertips turned into sparks and he wanted to touch Taeyong but he feared that his power might hurt him so he only kneed his body closer until Taeyong was fully leaning on Jaehyun and the more he wanted to touch Taeyong the more his body reacted and he felt like exploding. He didn’t understand why his body reacted like this, he kissed people before and touched others before but this never happened. Maybe this was supposed to happen, maybe this is how magicians react when you kiss the one you love and you are loved back. Jaehyun never knew what it was like to kiss someone you love, so maybe this was what lust felt like to those who have magic. He needed to control it somehow, he was afraid of not being able to touch Taeyong. His body was strange, his magic acted strange and it was as if he was going through puberty only that this time he felt like a bomb ready to explode. Taeyong deepened the kiss and before he could focus on his magic control he felt a knee making his way between his legs and feeling his limbs going jelly under Taeyong he had to break the kiss so he could breathe.

“Are you sure you’re ok?” Taeyong said, panting a bit.

“Yeah,” Jaehyun said and felling his body calm down he grabbed Taeyong by the back of his neck and drew him back into another kiss. Taeyong no longer leaning all his weight on Jaehyun, sharing it, and this time Jaehyun trusted himself that his magic would not harm the one he loves, this time he wanted to make himself believe that this is what normally happens and Taeyong must not know about this. Taeyong only needs to know that he is loved and that Jaehyun will not leave his side, he will do everything to not part with him. Ever again. “I’m sure.”

“Good.” Taeyong said placing a small kiss on his forehead, bringing his hand up to caress his cheek and with his thumb to touch his slight red lips. Jaehyun let himself fall into the touch and closing his eyes he thought momentarily how lucky he must have been to be able to meet Taeyong again, to be able to do this with the one he loves, the one he loved for so long.

 

 

 

Love seemed ethereal, sometimes when Jaehyun was down enough to think he wasn’t worthy of loving someone, love seemed almost inexistent. Maybe love doesn’t exist, maybe it’s all an illusion and everyone is trapped in the same hallucination. Maybe everyone is living this dream called love. But Jaehyun didn’t care if he was insane, if it was all a dream. He liked this dream. To Jaehyun it was like sparks of fire in his tummy, it came fast and never left. To him Taeyong was a ray of sunshine that he needed when it rained. To him, who he was an outcast all his life, who lost his home and felt like he never belonged anywhere, meeting Taeyong again was his home. Taeyong was home. Because where Taeyong was that’s where Jaehyun’s heart was.

To Taeyong it was another thing entirely. Jaehyun waited and waited, his love grew as years passed, when Taeyong was trapped in the past, he was trapped in time. Taeyong didn’t have time to harvest feelings, he didn’t get the chance to experience things like Jaehyun. Taeyong was just in bliss, because he didn’t have to go through pain, he didn’t have to wait for Jaehyun. For Taeyong it was a gift, his love was the best gift this new life could give him. All the pain and heartbreak he had to go through all those years back seemed like nothing compared to the happiness he was feeling now that he could claim Jaehyun as his.

Love made them think it was all pink and rainbows, love made them think it was real. Love didn’t try to wake them up from this fragile reality they think it’s perfect now. Love and time are not kind, love and time are forces that like to play with humans. Love is evil and time is on her side. Time doesn’t heal, time makes the hole deeper, and time is working with love to wake them up from this dream.

“You know,” Jaehyun began when he felt like his heavy breath steadied for a bit and his limbs didn’t feel like jelly anymore, “you need to face Mark sometime soon. You can’t avoid your brother forever.”

“I know…” Taeyong said, his eyes closing slowly and backing away from Jaehyun, returning to his locker, “but I feel like beating the out of him now.” Picking his shirt from the floor he placed it back on his shoulder and started searching for something in his locker. “And I don’t want to beat my baby brother for something he did who knows how many years ago.”

“That’s a nice thing to say.” Jaehyun said coming closer, taking a few steps that he didn’t know why were so heavy. “But you need to forgive him, to let this go.” Jaehyun went on, his body next to Taeyong now and extending his hand he placed it on his cheek and seeing the tensed expression on his beloved face he felt his heart ache.

“I’m trying but it’s not that easy.” Taeyong said biting his lip a bit, “I can’t forgive someone, something, of that gravity in one day.” Taeyong continued, turning his head to face Jaehyun, “I’m not like you. I’m not that good.”

“Don’t…” Jaehyun said, feeling his heart break. “Don’t say that I’m better than you. Don’t put yourself that low.” He turned Taeyong fully now, grabbing his shoulders and pulling him close to his chest. “The things I’ve done, the things I’m ashamed of and the secrets I have deep down. I’m not good Taeyong. I’m no better than a liar.”

“You’re good.” Taeyong said, feeling the heavy air around them, “To me, you’re the best thing that I could wish for.” Hugging Jaehyun tighter and hearing his heartbeats slowing down, Taeyong felt himself calm down.

“I’m no better than what Mark did.” Jaehyun said as he Taeyong’s silver locks, “I’ve done worse than him.”

“It doesn’t matter.” Taeyong said, feeling his breathe hitch a bit, his chest heavy all of a sudden. He wanted to know what that meant, he wanted to know all his insecurities and pains, he wanted to heal all his scars and bruises and take everything he was sad about on his shoulders. “I will forgive you, I will forgive Mark too. Because I want to be better for you.”

“You don’t have to be better.” Jaehyun said, feeling the sadness in his tone. “You’re the best king I could serve.”

“I will be a better king.” Taeyong said, his head snuggling a bit in Jaehyun’s chest. “I will be a king you can be proud again, a king everyone needs again. I’ll make Britain great again.” He said and Jaehyun could feel his burden, the burden that came back to rest on his shoulders and he didn’t want that.

“No, that prophecy is not real. You don’t need to be that someone.” Jaehyun said. He wanted to take away his burden, he wanted Taeyong to live happily without any weights. “I know you can do it, because after all, the Britain from now is nothing to the greatness in had back then but I feel like you didn’t came back to make Britain great again. The country is fine. It doesn’t need fixing. Let it be like this. Live your life, don’t take the responsibility again.” Jaehyun went on and he didn’t know what he was talking about.

“But I am a king and a king needs to protect his kingdom, even if it’s good or bad. A king’s duty is to protect its people.” Taeyong said confused, raising his head to look at Jaehyun.

“I know,” Jaehyun clarified, assuring him it was not his intention to make him confused. “What I wanted to say is that maybe it wasn’t the country of Britain that the prophecy meant, maybe it was the people.”

“You’re confusing me.” Taeyong said furrowing his brows, clearly not making any sense of what Jaehyun was saying.

“Everyone that was reborn, maybe it was them who needed you.” Jaehyun said slowly, trying to clarify, “Just like I waited for you to come back to me, maybe everyone shared the same wish. Maybe you being back is God giving us a second chance. Maybe this is what the prophecy meant: ‘When Taeyong will be needed again he will rise.’”

“People wished for me to come back? That’s what you are saying?” Taeyong said, trying to understand. He didn’t know about the prophecy, he didn’t know what Jaehyun was saying because it didn’t make sense.

“Yeah, something like that.” Jaehyun replied to his confusion, “Magic works in mysterious ways.”

“Magic?” Taeyong said and for a moment there he felt like he was missing something. “What do you mean magic? I thought my father made sure that no wizards were left in our Camelot. Since he was bound on thinking that magic is bad.”

“Maybe he didn’t kill everyone.” Jaehyun spoke slowly and he didn’t know if this was the time where he should tell Taeyong that he was in fact the only one in Camelot that managed to keep his magic and never be found out by the king or someone who could put his life in danger. “Maybe he missed someone.”

“Jaehyun,” He began, tone grave somehow, “do you know who that someone is?” Taeyong said and Jaehyun didn’t know how to explain Taeyong’s expression.

“If I said yes,” Jaehyun began carefully, watching Taeyong’s expression turn into sheer curiosity, “What would you do with that information?”

“So you do know who it is.” Taeyong said matter-of-factly, “Tell me, I want to ask him how he managed to escape from my father.” He went on the tensed air slowly fading away, “It’s not like I can kill him or something like that. I’m not my father, and I don’t want to go to jail either. I always wanted to meet a sorcerer, they seem like interesting people.”

“Maybe,” Jaehyun began letting a smile creep its way in, “they aren’t that interesting as you think. I heard they are quite boring actually.”

“Ha-ha. That can’t be.” Taeyong said letting go of Jaehyun and turning back to his locker. Time was ticking and they needed to go. “I heard once that sorcerers know to do all sorts of stuff, like lit fireworks out of thin air, so move items, or change their clothes in an instant.”

“Well yeah, maybe they can.” Jaehyun replied, chuckling at his innocence and curiosity.  “They can do more than that.”

“How do you know?” Taeyong questioned fast, “Ah right, you know the sorcerer and won’t tell me his name too.” He went on not even giving Jaehyun time to reply.

“Maybe you need to see someone lit fireworks in front of you to know who that person is.” Jaehyun said, remembering those times when they used to take night walks and would lit one or two fireworks for Taeyong and then creating mirages of people on the other side, so he wouldn’t figure out it was him all along. “Maybe that person is closer to you than you thought.”

“What –“Taeyong began but was cut off by a pair of lips shutting him silent.

They slowly fell back on the locker and Jaehyun didn’t want to break the kiss anymore, they were kissing and Jaehyun felt a fire lit inside and his hands started to burn and everywhere Taeyong touched felt on fire. The kiss deepened soon enough and a shaky hand slowly trailed the line of his spine and rested on his hips for a moment before it raised itself up, taking the shirt he was wearing up with him. The kiss turned too much and too soon and by the time they parted, their lips were red and puffy and Taeyong’s hair was a mess and the shirt from his shoulder was on the floor. Jaehyun didn’t look any different either. His shirt was a bit raised and his pants were almost unbuckled and something was tight in his pants. He felt his cheeks lit up, he saw the crimson on Taeyong and when they locked eyes Jaehyun knew what that look meant. It was the lust he dreamed of, it was the gaze he wanted to see. The gaze that lit a fire in his heart.

“Get dressed.” Jaehyun said as he escaped from Taeyong and managed to arrange his clothes a bit in the process and then he turned around and with a smirk on his face he said, “So I can undress you later.”

 


A/n: I came back with this fluffy-angst chapter and I also want to apologize for my absence! I was on a trip with my best friend and I didn’t bring my laptop with me! I’ll update again soon sooooooo feel free to enjoy this chapter and tell me what you think in the comments~

*sorry for the cliffhanger thou :>*