CHAPTER 4: RAIN

The Fantasy of 1479 Silver Years

The winds stopped after a while and as the moon came raising high on the evening sky, the mist cleared and Jaehyun was left alone on the bench once more. The sky painted colors of orange and faded pink, giving off a contempt feeling, something close to happiness, and yet not quite, but as the clouds turned purple and as they cleared away, the horizon was blue once more. There was sadness in the sky, and the more Jaehyun gazed the more he wanted to cry. Whether it was a cry of joy or a cry of sorrow he didn’t know.  

He closed his eyes and breathed a big cloud of air. He let his mind wonder to a time where he was able to do whatever he wanted if he wished for it. There was a time when with just rising his hand the skies cleared or rain poured down. When all he had to do was sit by his king and fulfill his every command, where the one he loved knew who he was and that was enough. But most of all, there was a part of him that missed that power, the thrill of having to hide it, the excitement of using it in secret and yet, it could never compare with the pleasure that came with it, the power of being able to use it however you want.

There was always a tingle in his fingertips, but this time the tingle felt more powerful, more like a sting and upon opening his eyes he raised his hand to the skies once more. He slowly moved his fingers and as if he was dancing on thin air sparks started to flicker at the end of his fingertips and before he knew it, the lights started to form a small image. Jaehyun was fully focused on what was happening. Something was off and something inside of him felt as if life started to run through his veins again. He focused some more on his hand, thinking of how to control what was happening, thinking of that lost time when he could do this just by snapping his fingers. As a smile started to linger on its frowned face the yellow glitter that was in front of his hand turned into a small golden dragon.

Jaehyun couldn’t believe it, the little creature came to life in front of his eyes and then as he let his hand turn around the dragon fell into his palm. He drew his hand closer, he thought it was a dream; that this couldn’t be. He hadn’t been able to do such a thing in so long that his body didn’t even remember how it felt to control magic. It was something simple, this was something young warlocks would learn and would master in a matter of hours and yet, for him this was something colossal. His body couldn’t remember how good it felt to feel the little streaks of light and the tingling sensation in his stomach as sparks of magic animated his body once more.

The dragon laid there for some seconds and then he looked up and spreading his wings he started to fly around in front of his face. He moved its wings up and down in repeated moves and Jaehyun stared at it as if he never saw a bird flying. He was mesmerized by something so simple, so small that he could only stare and smile like a fool at what was happening.  

“This can’t be…” He softly spoke, “I can’t believe it is happening.”

His body filled with joy, his soul was responding to all of these old sensations, he was stunned and all he could think was that he had to try it out, something that would confirm it all, whether he was dreaming, whether he was seeing things, or just, whether it was real or not. Before he could even think some more he got up and raising both his hands towards the lake he straightened his posture and taking a deep breath he started to chant the only spell he could think in that moment.

Elementum recolligo huic locus. Commodo mihi vestri vox. elementum unda ego dico vos. Permissum pluit. Is est meus nos sic vadum is exsisto.” He said it once, and it felt so right as the words left his tongue that he had to say it twice. The blue seemed to change its color and then he said it again and again, he said it until he lost count of it and as he stared at the sky it felt as if it was working.

He had to sit back down for a moment to take it all in. In the distance the skies turned black and as a storm came thundering its way towards the town, the heavy clouds approached the island and with a final bark of lightning, rain started to pour down from the sky. It fell heavy, as if buckets poured from the skies and Jaehyun felt like he was born again.

“It’s raining,” he softly said the obvious, “I called for rain and I made it.” Jaehyun spoke to himself again and he didn’t know what to do or what to feel. It felt so good to feel magic running through his veins again that he was at a loss. He started to laugh like a lunatic and probably was by the way he acted in that moment. He started to run and yell that it’s raining and that it was his doing and even if there was almost no one on the streets to hear him he still sounded crazy. Maybe he really was, after all, in this era and age someone using magic, real magic, didn’t exist.

“I have magic.” Was all he could rasp out before he felt his head heavy, his vision started to blur out, he felt his eyes sting and as he looked at the sky once more he gripped his chest with his right hand and tears started to flow down his cheeks and along with another bolt of lightning he fell to the ground.

 

 

Taeyong managed to return to the shop right in time. The heavy rain outside would have had him wet to his underwear. He let out a small sigh as he closed the door behind him and then a smile started to form on his face. He had never felt this good about something before, he didn’t know what has gotten into him but he was so happy that he almost wanted to brag about it to every single person he laid eyes on. It was as if he was proud of himself for talking, following and getting a bit closer to Jaehyun.

“Man~ what’s with this storm?” a black haired boy spoke as he cleaned a table and frowned towards Taeyong. It was almost closing time and he ran off somewhere all of a sudden and they were all left there baffled about what happened.

“It started raining all of a sudden and it’s not like we don’t know our weather is always unpredictable but this is really unexpected.” Someone spoke from behind the black haired boy and as he sat down on the table the said boy was cleaning he let his head fall on the table and looking up he just smirked. The black haired boy only let out a huff and went to clean another table.

“It will stop, it’s not like they last much anyway.” Doyoung said from behind the counter where he was feeding Taeil some fruits and the boy looked like his mother, rather than his boyfriend, or brother. No one really understood their relationship and for Taeyong it didn’t matter either way.

“What’s with that smug look on your face?” the black haired boy inquired as he moved to sit on the other’s boy lap, placing his slim arm over the boy’s shoulder and letting it rest there. It was normal for them too, when Taeyong first met them, they were already together and they were showing off their love and happiness and they didn’t care who saw them. As long as they were happy, Taeyong didn’t care who they dated or who they loved. And it wasn’t as if he hasn’t dated his number of girls and boys before, so he was in no position to judge anyone.

“What look, I have no look.” Taeyong said and it sounded more like a pout than an argument. Then out of the corner of its eye Taeyong saw that Doyoung was pretty much laughing at him while he just mumbled something as he gave Taeil another piece of that apple he was stuffing him with and he knew that he was probably blushing and with no point of return.

“Come on now, tell us why you ran like a lunatic out of that door and came back all smiles and rainbows.” Someone from behind the kitchen window said while motioning towards him with a spoon and Taeyong knew he had to say it now and he was ready to brag about it. Because he was proud of what he did for once and he wanted them all to know how happy he was. Even if this was something small, to him it meant something, something he wasn’t ready to admit.  

“Fine, fine, I followed the guy that hugged me.” He said matter-of-factly as he eyed everyone and all of them, more or less, lifted their eyebrows and gave him judging looks. “His name is Jaehyun and I swear he’s normal. We just talked on the bench that’s in front of that lake he kept calling Avalon and I helped him put his scarf on.”

“Oh, you helped him put his scarf on?” The black haired boy repeated and he pretty much was smirking by now.

“Oh shut it Ten, it’s just a scarf.” Taeyong said blushing and turning around he went to sit down on one of the cushions that were closer to the window. “Then I might have asked for his number so I can see him again…” he finished avoiding all of the eyes that landed on him.

“Well done, well done.” A hyena like laugh came out from behind Taeyong and he felt like he just did something he shouldn’t have. Maybe it would have been wiser to just tell them he was crazy and that’s how crazy people manifest.

“Well, it’s not like we have better love stories to tell.” Taeil said while he swallowed another piece of fruit and as he stood up he took Doyoung hand in his and staring up in Doyoung’s eyes with a knowing look on its face he smiled and said, “Just let him be, maybe this time, his heart will get what it wants.”

Taeyong was baffled again, confused because he felt left out. He felt that once again everyone knew something he didn’t. He felt as if that thing he had to know was something that could change his whole life and he wanted to know it so bad and if it was something he forgot he wanted to remember it so badly.

“Why do I feel like you all know something and you’re all keeping it from me?” Taeyong questioned and even if they all exchanged knowing looks they didn’t say anything and then Ten jumped from the lap he was sitting on like a schoolgirl and coming forward, the boy he sat on sensed he wanted to do something stupid so he grabbed his hand and stopped him. He shook his head and Taeyong was starting to question if this thing was good or bad.

“Johnny, he has to know someday.” Ten said as he let Johnny drag him back in his lap. Johnny just smiled at him and as he pecked his cheek and took Ten’s hand, while Ten slowly moved his legs up and down, and he whispered softly while caressing his knuckles, “I know.”  

Taeyong just spared them a look and then decided to give up, maybe it wasn’t something he should remember after all. Since everyone was so fixated on keeping it from him, maybe it was something bad. They all resumed to cleaning the tables and arrange the chairs so they would be in their place. In the kitchen Doyoung and Taeil offered their help with the dishes while Taeyong and Ten talked on one of the big red cushions that was placed near the window, for those customers who liked to look outside. They watched how buckets of water poured from the sky and soon enough they wanted to snap a picture or two of a lightning.

It was peaceful, everyone enjoyed this calm the shop had after a busy day. Taeyong enjoyed a cup of tea while Ten stood next to him and resting his head on its shoulder he watched Johnny and smiled. The boy would sometimes catch him staring and would smile back or threw him a kiss, and Taeyong could only smile. From his usual seat, he had perfect view of the whole shop. He could see Taeil playing on its phone when he wasn’t staring at Doyoung, he could see Yuta in the kitchen making food, he could see how the youngest of them watched cartoons on the TV that was on one of the walls the shop had.

He liked this atmosphere but he felt like something was missing now. He didn’t know what happened, but today he felt strange and right now he wasn’t calm at all, he was excited because of some unknown reason. He wanted to blame it all on Jaehyun again, because after all, today was so crazy that even his senses told him something was off. He liked the feeling of not knowing what would happen next but he was even more excited because he wanted to see Jaehyun again.

“Uhm, not to disturb anyone from their day-dreaming,” said Johnny as he opened the shop door and a cold breeze along with the smell of rain and wet cement entered the space. He squat down and continued as he motioned for the body laying down on the pavement, completely knocked out “but I’m pretty sure this is Jaehyun.”

Taeyong moved so fast that Ten fell from his shoulder and hit the cushion the boy sat on with his face. Doyoung came from the kitchen rushing to the door and helping Taeyong and Johnny as they bought Jaehyun in and letting him rest on the divan.

His clothes were soaking wet and his beautifully dark hair was all over his face and he was shivering and mumbling things that they couldn’t make up. Taeyong looked at him and it was as if he was afraid to touch him. Then Doyoung saw how Taeyong was just staring at the man before him so he pushed him away and started undressing Jaehyun.

“Close the door.” Doyoung commanded, “And bring some towels and some spare clothes.”

Everyone did as they were told. Johnny rushed to the door and locked it, Ten and Yuta ran to their lockers, in the back of the shop, to fetch some warm clothes and clean towels and Taeyong was left there standing and staring at an unconscious Jaehyun. He didn’t know what to do, he was fine when he left him, a bit cold, but he was fine, completely fine. It didn’t make sense. It wasn’t as if people normally pass out because of the rain, or maybe he was afraid of thunder and lightning but still, it was not common for someone to faint just because of that.

“Taeyong, help with something or move away.” Doyoung warned as he watched with the corner of his eye how confused and worried was Taeyong. The boy just nodded and didn’t say much. So he just moved from behind of Doyoung until he was sitting on the divan and slowly raising Jaehyun up, he put his head to rest in his lap.

Doyoung let out a scoff and smiling he let him be. He took care of him as he used the towels Ten and Yuta bought and while drying him out he seemed to come to his senses since the mumbling started to make more sense. It wasn’t really normal sleep talking, since the words still didn’t make sense, but at least now they could make the words out and not just hear gibberish.

“Taeyong…” he said and they all started to focus on him, everyone stopping whatever they were doing. “I have it back.” He finished saying after repeating Taeyong’s name a few times.

And if they were confused at first, they all sure knew what he meant now. Well, except for Taeyong, he couldn’t remember anything and he for sure had no idea what Jaehyun had back. Doyoung sensed it would be dangerous now, since he was pretty much all over the place and if he had his powers back it could turn ugly.

When warlocks are unconscious they can suddenly have power releases and they are never good, it’s never just a spark or a tissue set on fire. It’s always tsunamis, or god knows what earthquake can break out. And with a power like Jaehyun had, earthquakes and tsunamis were the least of their problems. They had to wake him up and they had to do it fast, they never saw Jaehyun knocked out cold and if he only got his magic back now that meant he hadn’t used it in a very long time. He probably could teleport them all around the world in a blink of an eye, or even turn them all into frogs and Ten sure as hell wasn’t ready for Johnny to kiss him until he turned him back.

Doyoung knew about Jaehyun the moment he laid eyes on him, he might have been just a child but he knew there was something special about him. His aura gave off a feeling of bliss and calm. Every time you got close to him he would draw you in and no matter what he said it was always interesting or funny and Doyoung loved that about him. And as he grew up he also could figure out fast that the king had no idea what Jaehyun was hiding. This time was no different. The moment he stepped into the shop he knew it was the young warlock from his memories. He never fully understood why they were all sent here, or what purpose laid behind all of them meeting again, but of one thing he was sure of, Taeyong couldn’t remember and it was not him who should make him remember.

It crossed their minds that maybe it wasn’t Taeyong, maybe he wasn’t the king they all served and admired once before, but when Jaehyun stepped through that door and sat down, the moment when Jaehyun got up and hugged the boy, they were all sure and without any more doubt.

Taeyong just played with his dark locks and as Doyoung finished drying him and it was now time to get him dressed, Jaehyun stirred and with a low mumble he started to slowly open his eyes. He blinked a few times because the first thing he saw was the face of a worried Taeyong and then as he looked around he saw familiar faces with the same look.

The moment he sensed it was okay to touch him some more, Taeyong grabbed him and raised him up so that he could hug him. Jaehyun was confused and didn’t know what to do, or how he got there, but of one thing he was sure of, he felt warm and he wanted to hug him back. So he just circled how he could his arms around Taeyong and slowly patting his shoulder he whispered, “It’s okay, I’m okay.”

“Don’t ever scare me like that.” Taeyong said as he let go of Jaehyun so he could straighten himself a bit. He was still feeling nauseous and his clothes were pretty much ed and if he could think a bit more he would have realized he was almost shirtless.

“I’m sorry.” Jaehyun said, speaking towards Taeyong but also towards everyone in the room. He looked up and as he tried to arrange his shirt Doyoung only shook his head and threw him a change of clothes. They landed on his lap and Jaehyun only smiled. The action reminded him of Dong Young, and the more he stared at the boy, the more it resembled him.

“It’s okay, you’ll soon be family anyway.” Ten said as he came closer and slapped his shoulder lightly and Jaehyun looked at them confused.

“What he wants to say, is that you’re soon going to be our friend, right?” Yuta said from where he was standing and giving a small nod Ten agreed.

“Thank you, but, can I ask why?” Jaehyun said shyly while he changed his shirt. The fall probably did something to his head too because he wouldn’t normally change his clothes in front of other people. He managed to get his wet shirt off of him and changed into a pink t-shirt that he was given. He had the decency to keep his pants on at least.

“Well, friends of Taeyong, normally turn up to be friends with us.” Johnny said motioning with his hand at everyone in the room and as Jaehyun turned his head he caught the red of Taeyong’s ears as he nodded.

“Friends, huh?” Jaehyun said in a low whisper. It was something he hadn’t had in such a long time that he didn’t even know the word existed anymore. He was so focused on getting or finding Taeyong that he forgot how humans interact with each other. He didn’t know he longed for that too, but as he saw everyone letting out sighs of relief he thought that maybe having friends, well, more like getting his friends back wasn’t that bad.

“I’m Ten Chittaphon Leechaiyakul,” the boy said as he extended his hand and Jaehyun almost thought he was hearing things, but shook his hand nonetheless. But it was real, the name the boy spoke was the exact same name, sir Ten had and it sounded just as complicated to spell as before. “But you can call me Ten.”

“I’m John Seo, but Johnny is fine.” He said as he gave him a smile while unlinking Ten’s hand and Jaehyun’s. Ten only chuckled at the action and after the two exchanged greetings he grabbed Johnny’s hand in a reassuring squeeze.

“I’m Kim Dong Young,” the boy said and Jaehyun’s eyes were ready to pop out from his head. He was right, it was Dong Young, and then that really meant they were all the Knights of the Round Table. “But my friends call me Doyoung.” He finished and Jaehyun nodded as he too introduced himself for the third time.

“I’m Moon Taeil, his brother,” Taeil said moving his head towards Doyoung and Jaehyun was a bit confused at that, because he was supposed to be the queen’s brother. But he accepted it nevertheless. “Not biological of course.” He felt the need to add and Jaehyun only let out a sigh because that meant he wasn’t wrong.

“Why is everyone so serious all of a sudden?” the youngest of them said and as he got up from the chair he sat next Johnny he moved towards Taeyong and sitting down in his lap he extended his hand and with a big smile plastered on his face he said, “I’m Mark Lee, his brother.” He said as he pointed a finger at Taeyong who only gave him a glare.

“And it seems that I’m the last one,” Another boy that Jaehyun recognized from his past said. He was leaning on the table that was not far from him and as he changed his position he too extended his hand for a handshake and continued, “I’m Nakamoto Yuta.”

Jaehyun only stared around at everyone and he wanted to ask so badly if anyone remembered who they were and if this was all just a coincidence. He didn’t know how to react so he just excused himself and getting up, not feeling so numb now, he asked for the bathroom so that he could change his pants too.

Doyoung offered his help and he showed Jaehyun the way. On its way there he saw how Taeyong scolded Mark for sitting in his lap, he saw how Johnny and Ten hugged and he saw the stare Taeil had as he followed Doyoung. It was just like back then, when they all had to hide and they were not allowed to breed such feelings and yet, because times changed, they were free now. Free to love.

“Thanks,” Jaehyun said once they entered the bathroom.

“I know who you are.” Doyoung said and Jaehyun didn’t know for a moment what he meant but then it clicked. If he recognized everyone then Doyoung must have remembered it too. “Taeyong is the only one who doesn’t remember.”

“I noticed,” Jaehyun said chuckling as he turned around he started to change his clothes. “So everyone remembers then?” he stated the obvious once more, just to be sure he heard that correctly.

“Yeah, even Mark…” Doyoung said, the last part more softly than normal. If they all remembered then that meant they knew that it was Mark who killed the king. “But he regrets it now.” Doyoung said fast, reassuring Jaehyun.

“Figures, since they are brothers.” Jaehyun replied, not really concerned.

“Anyway, I’m not sure if it’s okay to make Taeyong remember who he is.” Doyoung said as he leant on the wall next to the door. “I’m not sure how he is going to take the fact that he is the king and that Mark, his brother, pretty much killed him.”

“I’m here,” Jaehyun replied, fixated on making Taeyong remember his past self, “As long as I’m here, no, as long as I’m alive, Taeyong will be protected and no harm will touch him ever again.” He warned and Doyoung only let out a small chuckle.

“Same as always I see.” Doyoung said while he turned around to leave.

“Wait, I have a question,” Jaehyun stopped him before he could leave.

“Ask away.” Doyoung said, “But if it’s about Taeyong’s love life, then rest assured, he’s single.” He finished while smirking at Jaehyun and he only blushed.

“No, I wanted to ask, are you all born in this time?” Jaehyun said and it sounded pretty dumb but Doyoung understood what he meant.

“Yeah. I and Taeil, and well, the queen, were born here and only later we got into an accident and remembered who we were.” Doyoung explained and Jaehyun only nodded in understanding. “Why are you asking though? Aren’t you the same?”

“No, not quite.” Jaehyun said as he smiled at him and as they both walked out and Doyoung waited for an explanation Jaehyun only said simply, “I waited to meet you all again.”

 


A/n: I’m sorry for taking this long to write this chapter but I got stuck at it and I finally managed to finish it. OTL

Well with that said, I hope this chapter is satisfying and feel free to tell me what you think! Thank you for reading~