CHAPTER 3: BREAKING THE SPELL

The Fantasy of 1479 Silver Years

When something inside him clicked and he realized that time started flowing again Jaehyun didn’t know what to believe. Jaehyun was so happy to have the silver haired boy in his arms again that he almost started crying. It was the first time in so many years that he could feel this bliss again. He longed for his touch, he longed for his warmth and now he was here, in his arms. Jaehyun just hugged tighter and he noticed that the boy’s body was standing still in his embrace. It was not moving and for a moment he thought of letting go.

The boy in his arms didn’t know what to do, it was all too sudden and he just stood there stunned. This man that he never saw before just stared at him and then grabbed him and hugged him and he didn’t know why or what happened but he knew that he didn’t want to let go. There was some sort of warmth, there was a feeling he didn’t know he could feel and he liked it. Before he knew it he raised his arms that limped at his sides and circled the man that was holding him. He let his head fall on his shoulder and as he closed his eyes the warmth he felt before just grew and he felt his body tingle with feelings he didn’t know he could feel.

If Jaehyun was happy before he was surely crying now, this was all he ever wished for, this was all he dreamt of and he couldn’t keep it in anymore. He tried to hold it again, because they were in a public place and people were staring at them but he couldn’t care less, he was so happy that if he kissed the man standing in front of him right now he wouldn’t even care who stared and what they thought about the display they had going on.

The silver haired boy heard a sniffle and as he raised his head he broke the embrace and as he looked at the man that was staring at him heart-struck before and the man that was now crying because of some unknown reason to him he didn’t know what to do, so he just raised his hands and started wiping his tears away.

“Uhm, please, don’t cry.” The boy said, still wiping his tears.

“I just,” Jaehyun began but when he looked in the boy’s eyes and he saw that glint that he loved and that smile that he longed for he couldn’t hold it and he just spit it out all at once, “I missed you so much, I lost you and waited and waited and I don’t even know how long I waited and prayed and I can’t believe I found you again.”

The boy didn’t know what to say because it was the first time he met this man and he thought that maybe he resembled someone from his past or something, maybe he knew his dad, because people often said that they were almost like twins, but then again his dad never mentioned knowing someone this young and neither did his dad’s boyfriend. Maybe indeed this man was confused and he thought that he was the person he thought he was. But he said his name a few times, and it was right, he was undeniably Taeyong.

“Sir, I don’t know what you are talking about.” Taeyong said after looking at him for a bit and he just couldn’t pin his face down to any name. “I have never seen you before.”

“Of course,” Jaehyun said with a sad chuckle, “You won’t know who I am, you can’t remember.”

Taeyong just looked and raised his eyebrow waiting for an explanation and Jaehyun smiled at him as he let him go and went back to his seat and sat down. He looked around and saw the orange haired boy that had his eyes big and his mouth almost open as if he hasn’t seen people hugging, the little head that was behind the counter could be seen now too and even if the boy didn’t have the same silver hair as Taeyong he had a darker shade of grey, something that looked like slate gray and he looked rather nervous to be there. He just exchanged glances with the orange haired boy and didn’t do much besides that. The two that were happily laughing in their corner stopped and watched the two but resumed to their talk later without giving them much thought and the ones at the tables didn’t spare them a glance. Jaehyun noticed soon that this world and time he was living now didn’t care much about what happened and mostly people just stared at their phones, but he didn’t care either about what happened around him so maybe he wasn’t far from adapting to this timeline either.

“Sit with me, please.” Jaehyun said as he beckoned for Taeyong to join him.

“Why?” Taeyong replied, but went there and took a seat in front of him nonetheless.

“I know I might sound crazy and what I did was also out of the ordinary, so I wanted to apologize for my rude behavior.” Jaehyun said as he flashed a smile and looked Taeyong in the eyes. It was all he could do because he might be wrong, he might be right, he might be so right that he doesn’t even realize it.

“How do you know my name?” Taeyong said fidgeting and playing with his fingers under the table.

“I just do…” Jaehyun said and that might have sounded like something a stalker would say, “I’m someone you can’t remember yet.” He went on, confusing the boy even more.

“I’m confused, please explain what you’re saying.” Taeyong wanted to understand a bit but he also wanted to leave. He was working right now and he seriously didn’t have time to stay and have a chat with someone who sounded crazy. But he stood there, rooted on the chair and the more he looked at Jaehyun’ eyes the more he felt like drowning. They were beautiful and he couldn’t stop just at his eyes, his skin was white, and he wanted to touch it because he knew it had to be smooth like porcelain. He saw how his hair was combed to the side and there were a few stray bangs that rested on his forehead. On his left ear at the top there was silver earring, down his neck there was a red scarf and before he realized that Jaehyun saw him staring he stopped and gulping he averted his eyes.

“My name is Jaehyun, Jung Jaehyun, and this is not the first time we met.” He said as he smiled and started to look out the window, gazing at the island that was seen from his seat.

“Nice to meet you,” Taeyong said his eyes low, “I’m Taeyong, Lee Taeyong, but I think you already know that.”

“Yes,” Jaehyun said letting out a small chuckle and at that Taeyong looked up and smiled a bit too. “Tell me, do you know that you have the same name as the great king that once ruled Britain?”

“Yes, I am aware of that, it must be a simple coincidence.” Taeyong answered, but, deep down, he too questioned this himself. He was adopted and his fathers never said anything about his name or why he never got it changed so it would be like theirs. He should have been a Kim or a Jung, but he stayed to his name, he was a Lee.

“Then do you know the Legend of King Taeyong?” Jaehyun questioned again, a glint of hope in his eyes. Maybe if he spoke it he could remember something. He wasn’t sure what he was doing, he had no clue how to restore his memories, he wasn’t even sure if touching Taeyong broke his aging spell. But something definitely clicked when he hugged the boy and if that wasn’t a spell being lifted then he really went crazy. Maybe he needed Excalibur, maybe if Taeyong touched the sword he would remember. This would all have been easier if Jaehyun had his magic back, all of it. But he had bits and pieces and he couldn’t use it anytime he wanted and he didn’t know if he would even be whole again.

“A bit, I think we studied some of it at school, at history. But it’s only mythological.” Taeyong said and Jaehyun felt a pang in his heart. Child talk, that’s what everyone saw it as. It was real, the legend, the stories, the magic, it was all true, and he was the only one who knew that.

“Why do you think that?” Jaehyun questioned and he really hoped Taeyong was going to believe in the end, because after all, magic has no power if you don’t believe. 

“It’s pretty obvious,” Taeyong said, putting his hands on the table and looking at Jaehyun with a questionable face, as if why was he asking him such an apparent question. “There is no magic in the world, there is no such thing as an enchanted sword, a misty lake with fairies and there are no dragons, no warlocks, there is no such thing as magic. It’s all just a fairytale, and fairytales aren’t real, that’s why they’re fairytales.”

Jaehyun didn’t know what to say, he never really expected this, and given the fact that Taeyong was once the one that held the sword to battle dragons that lived in that fairytale world, it was pretty bad to hear it. And piling that up with him not even believing in magic was even worse. It wasn’t like Jaehyun could teleport them or take them back to their time, he didn’t have that kind of power anymore. He could mostly play with the lights and probably move some objects, maybe he could do some figures by levitating things but he wasn’t sure, he hadn’t tried it in a long time.

“Have you ever been to Avalon?” Jaehyun said then, staring back at Taeyong and when the boy saw the look he had in his eyes, he somehow figured that Jaehyun was not on the same length with his opinion. It looked to him like his words hurt him and he didn’t know why and the more he stared in those eyes the more he felt like Jaehyun believed in magic and all that stuff that was written in the lore.

“Avalon doesn’t exist.” Taeyong said watching how his pained expression changed in something close to longing and resentment, it was as if he knew that but wanted to say it anyway. “It never did, it’s an imaginary island from the folklore, and it’s not real.”

“Then, have you ever been to that island from over there?” he replied, motioning with his head to the island he turned his eyes to. “That is what I like to call ‘Avalon’. Don’t you think it looks like the one in the legend?”

“I never went there, no one can go there without a boat and honestly I haven’t seen anyone going there. And the legends don’t say much about it and they certainly didn’t describe the place much.” Taeyong replied and somehow he felt at ease when he looked at the island too. There was some sort of calming atmosphere that surrounded it and now he wanted to go there. As he looked at the island he felt drawn to it and he didn’t know what was happening because he looked at that small land floating on the water for so many times before and never once he wanted to go there.

“I guess you’re right,” Jaehyun said chuckling again and as he looked at Taeyong once more he didn’t know what to say anymore so he just thought it was time to leave, maybe he didn’t scare the boy as much as he thought he did. Maybe it was okay to come back again.

“Why are you asking me these things anyway?” Taeyong said and he saw that the orange haired boy motioned for him to come over, so he just nodded and before he could get his answer Jaehyun just said,

“You’ll find out soon enough.”

He took out his wallet, paid for his food and as he stood up he smiled once more towards Taeyong and said his goodbyes and thanked to everyone while he left the shop and Taeyong could just stare at his back and how it disappeared in the distance.

 

 

He was left there confused and with feelings he didn’t know what meaning had behind them. There was a time when he thought about this legend too and why was it that he had the same name as the once great king. He didn’t find it that strange, there were people with the same name before and it didn’t mean they were some sort of big personalities from the past or that they were tied with someone.

“What was that, dude?” The orange haired boy spoke as he slid in the empty seat before him.

“I don’t know,” Taeyong replied and he really had no idea what happened.

“He just stared and hugged you all of a sudden, that sure was something good to watch.” The boy laughed at him and Taeyong was starting to show a blush on his cheeks just thinking about it. “It looked like a scene from a drama.” The boy went on and Taeyong was really embarrassed by now.

“Shut up, Doyoung.” He said as he got up and moved for the counter hide behind it. Doyoung just laughed from the table and Taeyong just got redder than he already was.

The boy that was sitting down on the chair and hid behind the counter just like before just stared at Taeyong and then left out a small smile. Taeyong caught that and he seriously didn’t know what to do, it was as if today everyone knew something he didn’t and he couldn’t even open his mouth to ask what it was that everyone smirked and laughed and knew so much about.

“What?!” He shot back and the boy was taken aback, startled even that Taeyong said it in such a tone.

“I didn’t say anything.” The boy replied calmly, still smiling at him.

“You smiled knowingly,” Taeyong said coming closer as the boy raised from the chair to retreat. He wasn’t good with people staring at him and Taeyong’s stare was really the worst of all, it seemed as if he was staring into your soul.

“I did not,” he shyly replied avoiding his eyes.

“You did,” Taeyong said coming even closer and the boy went back the same amount of space.

“I did not…” he said barely audible now, still avoiding his eyes.

“You know something and you’re not telling me.”  Taeyong said as he took some more steps towards the boy and the boy was cornered, he took some steps back and was met with a wall and he felt trapped. Taeyong was leaning from above and his stare was digging holes in his lowered head.

“…” The boy was mute by now and even if he did know what Taeyong was talking about he couldn’t say it because it wasn’t his job to do it, so he just kept quiet and as he closed his eyes he waited for Doyoung to come and save him.

“Taeil…” Taeyong said and the boy was almost shuddering under him.

“Taeyong, that’s enough,” Doyoung said as he grabbed Taeil from under his piercing gaze and took him in his embrace where he calmed down. Doyoung looked at Taeyong with a warning gaze and as he dragged Taeil from there and took him to take a seat on one of the red cushions he tried to make Taeil feel better.

Maybe Doyoung was way too protective of Taeil, maybe it was Taeil that was like a baby, but for Doyoung Taeil was everything and he knew everything he liked and disliked.

Taeil family adopted Doyoung when he was little. He was like a brother to him and because they were little Taeil and his sister grew up with Doyoung and they liked to think they were a happy family. But then one day, Taeil’ sister died. She had a week and poor health and every winter she would get so sick she had to skip school for the whole season. Then the more her body developed her heart became too weak and she died slowly in her sleep. Taeil cried for days and Doyoung could only hold him in his arms and wipe away his tears. Those were the days when Doyoung swore to protect Taeil with all his might and to never let him go.

That was until they dreamt of something and thought they were crazy. But then it all made sense. Once they went on a family trip at the country side and while they were playing in the woods, Doyoung slipped and because Taeil was with him holding his hand he dragged him down too. The hill was too abrupt and they rolled down and then passed out because of the fall.

They dreamt of a kingdom that existed a long time ago. They saw people they never met before, they saw some of their friends too, but most of all they saw their sister being a queen. Something was strange, because Doyoung was with her and not with Taeil. His name was Dong Young and there was something off because in that dream Taeil died and he was in love with the queen. Then it all went like a flash fast-forward and when they finally snapped out of their dream they were in a hospital bed. 

Taeil and Doyoung, even Taeil’ sister, they did not belong to this timeline. This was not their world and when they realized who they were both knew they had to keep it for themselves. Doyoung woke up and upon looking at Taeil he saw in his eyes that he had the same dream as him. And from that moment on they knew that if this was what fate had in store for them then that meant Taeil wasn’t supposed to die in their dream, in that past they both saw, or maybe, Taeil was supposed to die in this reality too but he somehow dodged death.

 

 

Jaehyun didn’t go far from the shop. He just strolled down the alley until he got to the riverside and there he took a seat on the few benches that were placed there. He was at a loss and had no idea how to make Taeyong remember. He played with his fingers as he stared in the distance. The weather was turning chilly and mist started to appear near the island. The breeze was bringing a rainy smell and the clouds looked like would pour down any second.

He didn’t care, because come rain or sun he wasn’t affected. He liked rain, because he could drown his sorrows in it. He could cry and no one would notice his tears. He was too lonely and after all this time he finally found some hope again only for it to be crushed to the ground.

“It’s real, my king, it’s all real.” Jaehyun spoke to himself. Maybe if he heard his voice he wouldn’t be so lonely. The next wave of wind brought with him cold air and as he touched his scarf to cover his neck some more he heard a noise behind him and some footsteps. Then someone sat down on the bench and Jaehyun didn’t raise his head but he already knew who sat down.

“What’s real?” the man next to him said and Jaehyun took off his scarf and raised his head to watch the man in the eyes.

“Magic exists, it’s not just a fantasy.” He said smiling sadly and as he played with his scarf he noticed how the man came closer and snuggling he let his head fall on Jaehyun shoulder, silver locks falling on the man’s forehead.

“Show me that it’s real, so I can believe.” He whispered from where he stood and Jaehyun didn’t know if it was a wise thing to do.

“I can’t do it now, I’m too weak.” Jaehyun said and the boy didn’t say anything anymore. He just stood there and stared in the distance with Jaehyun.

The island was surrounded by mist now and all you could see was the top of the tower that was on the island. The waters seemed calm and something looked off again, because there was wind blowing and yet the water was clear as day and there was no wave in it. It felt strange and if he believed it in he could say it was magical.

“Why did you take off your scarf?” He said breaking the silence that settled between them. And somehow he wasn’t sure why he followed him, why he started talking with him, or how he even found him. He knew that he was drawn to him and every time he watched his face or he touched the man he felt his something inside reacting.

“My hands are cold, it will warm me up.” Jaehyun said and it was a dumb reason, he could just as well put his hands in his pockets and he would be warm and it’s not like it was that cold that his fingers would freeze. It was just that when he missed Taeyong he would play with the scarf.

The boy took the scarf from his hands and raising his head from Jaehyun’ shoulder he turned it around in his hands until he turned his attention back to Jaehyun and raising it he put the red scarf back on Jaehyun’ neck and in that moment he felt his stomach flip.

“Why is it that you draw me in?” The boy said, “What makes me come to you and feel all these things, you make me so confused.” He continued and his hands were still there on the crimson scarf. Jaehyun just smiled at his action, because this happened before. Taeyong would normally arrange his scarf for him and Jaehyun could stare at his king and wish he would never take his hands away.

“You really can’t remember me?” Jaehyun said and the boy nodded.

“I’m sorry.” The boy said and Jaehyun grabbed his hands and even if they were a bit cold he held them down in his lap, caressing his knuckles softly.

“It’s okay, I’ll make you remember.” Jaehyun said smiling, “Because you’re my king Lee Taeyong and I waited 1479 years just to find you again.”

“What?” at this Taeyong almost wanted to run away, this man sounded crazy and maybe he should ran and maybe he shouldn’t have come looking for him in the first place. But the tone and the way he said it made it look so real he was rooted to the ground. He didn’t know why or what was going on, but when he looked in his eyes he knew that if this man told him he was an alien from another earth or a superhero he would believe him without blinking.

“I might sound crazy to you, but I am speaking the truth and you will soon remember too.” Jaehyun said and as he let go of his hands he moved closer and before Taeyong could reply to that Jaehyun embraced him again. Taeyong was quick to respond to his hug and as he breathed in his shoulder and noticed how Jaehyun tightened his hug he just let his head fall on his shoulder again and embrace the warmth Jaehyun gave him.

“It’s so calm,” Taeyong spoke as he broke the embrace and Jaehyun could only smile, “This is the calmest I felt in my whole life. It’s like I’m floating on clouds.” Jaehyun didn’t respond, he just stood there and smiled at his words.

They looked at each other and before Jaehyun could say something out of the ordinary again Taeyong spoke.

“Jaehyun,” he began slowly as he searched for something in his pockets, “Give me your number please? I kind of want to see you again.”

“Sure.” At this Jaehyun just let out a small chuckle and took the phone from Taeyong’ hand and typed his number on the keyboard. “I’d like that too.”

 


A/n: Hello again and thank you for reading this and I want to thank again to everyone who subscribed to this in such short time!

So this is chapter 3 and I hope I didn’t make anyone as confused as Taeyong hehe ^^ I will try not to rush this story and it will take some time to make Taeyong remember he is the king so I’m sorry for that but I hope you will enjoy the story until then!

Feel free to tell me what you think in the comments! It might help me develop this story haha because sometimes I’m not sure what I’m doing and I’m trying to write fluff in this one and it seems that I’m not that good with it OTL

Well with that said, see you next chapter and thank you for reading!