CHAPTER 1: THE BEGINNING AND THE END

The Fantasy of 1479 Silver Years

A/n: First of all thank you so much to those who subscribed to this thing before I even published a chapter! It meant a lot and it made me finish this faster so thank you again and I hope this won’t be disappointing! 


The legends spoke of a fantasy land when the world was ruled by kings, when knights in shining armor would fight for everything the King deemed must be fought for, of a land where magic lived among people. There was once a time where Britain was ruled by a brave and wise King named Lee Taeyong.

A red cape covered his shoulders, the back engraved with a golden dragon, symbolizing the dragon shaped comet, his chest and arms covered with a shiny hauberk, over which was an old looking same colored cuirass. A pair of red pants were tight around his slim legs and from under his knees the boots he wore covered most of the remaining parts of his shins, their tips ending with a gray sabaton. Attached to his hip was the belt holding his sword. Big like doe eyes and thick lips, that turned into crescents and pretty lines, featured his face. His skin was fair, resembling his silver white hair that fell over his forehead and made him look younger than his real age, made the King stunningly beautiful and everyone standing before him could only look in awe at his features.

After being crowned king, Taeyong indeed proved that he was the greatest warrior ever alive. As King, he used his skills in fighting and leadership to drive off all hostile invaders from Britain. But his real strength was in the wisdom he had received from his friend, Jaehyun, who had taught him to use his wits, rather than brute force, to overcome his enemies.

Jaehyun was a childhood friend of the king. They grew up together and even if he had to hide his magic, because in those times sorcery was considered a bad deed, Taeyong knew. He knew that the one he grew up with was special than the ones he normally met. From Jaehyun, Taeyong had learned to be a wise and just king, who fought only to protect his people, and never for ill deeds. He was thought to fight with his heart rather than his fist.

The people of Britain, finally relieved of their suffering, happily welcomed him as their new king. Not even the dukes and lords quarreled over the right to rule anymore, for Taeyong had indeed brought the peace and prosperity that the kingdom had long awaited. Under Taeyong’s wise leadership, laws were made with justice and mercy, and the people were treated fairly. He named his kingdom Camelot, and his coat of arms was the red dragon.

The scheme looked peaceful and yet, the King was troubled.

He was childless. He had no son to inherit the throne after he was gone, nor a daughter to gladden his heart. Moreover, the King was desperately in love with someone he could not have. He was not allowed to confess nor act upon his feelings. The queen he had to marry was indeed a beautiful woman but because he could not love her he never once tried to make an heir to his throne. The one he loved was out of reach and his love could only be categorized as a hopeless one.

Sorcery was not something uncommon in those times, however, because people feared it, it was seen as the worst of all kinds of things there existed at the time and while he did not only knew the most powerful sorcerer of them all, probably the only one that no one could surpass, he didn’t know what else he could do to keep him close.

Jaehyun, warned Taeyong that the queen would bring him nothing but misery, but Taeyong was intent on marrying her. He didn’t know why the great sorcerer told him such a thing, he didn’t know the meaning behind it. All he knew was that the kingdom needed an heir and if that meant marring that woman, then he will, even if it meant throwing away any last hope of having his feelings returned. 

The people of Camelot rejoiced. They were glad to see their beloved king happy and in love, or so they thought, but little did they know of the pain the king hid inside. The prospect of having an heir to the throne was, indeed, cause for celebration. Everyone in the kingdom was filled with excitement and tears of joy. Everyone, that is, except for Jaehyun.

He couldn’t bear to watch the scene, because just as the king fell in love with someone who he was not allowed to, just like that Jaehyun bore feelings of love towards someone that was out of reach. Not being able to confess and having to watch the man you love marry someone else while you can only wish for their happiness was crushing his heart into pieces. The only remedy he had was that the king he loved so much would never leave his side and that he would be in forever at his service. 

 

 

Then one day a beautiful woman came rising up out of the water. After learning about this, Jaehyun took Taeyong out to a misty lake. The lake was magic, like everything else that surrounded it. Fairies and mystical creatures lived in that peaceful place. When he reached there, Jaehyun looked at Taeyong, knowing fully well why they were there. Jaehyun raised his hand and as the mist cleared an island could be seen in the horizon.

“On the other side of the mist,” he told Taeyong, “is the island of Avalon.”

“Avalon?” Taeyong repeated in a low tune.

“The beings who live there possess supernatural powers,” Jaehyun explained calmly, a small smile appearing on his face, “which they use for both good and evil.”

All of a sudden, a beautiful woman came rising up out of the water. Her body was embraced by a white long dress that was one with the water, her hair was fair like gold and her skin white like snow. In her hand, she held a magnificent, jeweled sword.

“If you insist on surrounding yourself with such dangers,” Jaehyun told Taeyong, “then you're going to need a powerful weapon to protect yourself.” He said motioning for the sword in her hand.

“This is Nimue, the Lady of the Lake. The sword she holds in her hands is Excalibur. It is of the finest strength, and can cut through iron and steel. It is fit for a king like you, your highness, but the real magic lies in the scabbard. For, whoever holds the scabbard shall never die of his wounds. Always keep it by your side. Never let yourself be parted from it.”

Jaehyun took the sword from Nimue’s hands and then turning around he motioned for Taeyong to take it, the most precious and important partner the King could wish for. A golden engraved handle that held tight a platinum blade to which was written in runes on each of the opposite sides of it ‘Take me up’ and ‘Cast me away’.

 

 

As a wedding present, the queen’s father gave the couple a round table, large enough to seat all of Taeyong’s knights. Over each seat was a plaque inscribed with the name of the knight for whom the seat was intended. Only one seat had no name inscribed above it. This seat was reserved for the greatest knight of all. If anyone else sat there, he would surely die. The gift of the round table made Taeyong happy, for he had been worried that his knights were becoming too competitive amongst each other. With the round table, all of his knights could sit together and discuss matters of the kingdom as equals. Because that was its role. The table served as an equal for everyone who sat in one of its chairs. There was no beginning and no end, the table didn’t have a head to which only the king could stay. Like this, everyone was seen as equal.

 

 

With time, Jaehyun couldn’t bear to see the king with someone else. It was easy at first, but with time, it hurt more and more and the pain was impossible. Each day he had to stand by his and hers side and watch them happy together. Each time he saw him smile was for her, and each time he died a little bit inside. He wanted to be the one to receive that smile, he wanted to be the one to fix his cape when it was not where it should be, he wanted to be the one to walk by his side in the castle and everyone would look at them in awe.

But he couldn’t be, he was once, but now it was all over. He was left with watching them and hoping Taeyong would not barge in his room like he always loved to do and catch him crying himself to sleep. He was hoping that Taeyong would stop wanting to sleep in the same bed with him, hugged tight and safe under the blankets. He wanted Taeyong to fall in love with the queen so that he could move on, but with each passing day, Taeyong would come at night and they would always be like he never got married and he was never a king.

The nights were always full of joy and laughter, Jaehyun would show him tricks and Taeyong would be amazed every time, even if he saw them over and over again. Taeyong would teach Jaehyun how to use a sword because the boy was horrible with handling one and by the time they would fall down to the floor with heavy breaths Taeyong would cuddle near Jaehyun.

“You should sleep with your queen, sire.” Jaehyun said one night. Hoping and hoping that his feelings would go away because this was not enough, he wanted the day too, not only the night.

“I don’t want to.” Taeyong said and as he looked up from where he was resting his head on Jaehyun’ chest. “I like it when I sleep with you, it’s warmer at night and the sheets are softer in your chambers.” Taeyong said letting out a soft chuckle.

“That’s not true,” Jaehyun said as he placed his hand on his silver hair and caressed it slowly, “You have the finest fabrics in all the kingdom, mine are merely servant sheets.”

“But I want to spend more time with you,” Taeyong said and he cuddled more in his arms.

“I know,” Jaehyun said, “I’m sorry,” he went on with a sad smile on his face.

“Why are you sorry?” Taeyong replied in an instant, a concerned look on his face, “You have nothing to be sorry for.”

“Maybe I’ll tell you one day.” He said as he raised himself up and went for the bed. He extended his arms and Taeyong followed suit, sitting down on the bed and slowly letting himself fall in his arms. The same arms that hugged him to sleep each night and the same embrace he never wished to let go of.

Taeyong didn’t say anything anymore, he just let himself fall asleep in the warmth of the one he loved. He cherished every moment spent with him, because these things could only happen at night. By the time daylight comes he would be back with his queen and he would have to pretend again that he loves her.

Jaehyun knew when Taeyong fell asleep, he could say, because the boy would stop moving and he would snuggle as close as he can to his body. Some night he would hold his hand and never let it go, he held it tight, interlacing their fingers and every time, Jaehyun heart broke more. He slowly moved so that the king could sit better and when he was certain that he would no longer feel the world around he moved a stray strand of hair from his forehead and all he could do was look at his beautiful features.

He raised his hand to caress his cheek, then moving slowly to his lips and stopping there, reminding himself that this are not his and that he doesn’t have the right to do this. He felt his eyes water, because after this night, he would leave the castle, he would try to leave Taeyong and maybe, maybe he will manage to forget him and leave with the queen happy. So that when he looks in his globe everyday he would see him with her at night, happy and enamored by her.

“I’m sorry,” Jaehyun said feeling his tears slipping down his cheeks, “but I love you, so I have to leave.”

With that Jaehyun allowed himself to place a kiss on his forehead and as he fell asleep next to the king he felt the pieces of his heart break more and he knew there was no one out there to pick them up and stick them back together.

By the time morning came Taeyong woke up to a cold bed and an old scarf laying on the pillow next to him. He understood then, he was cruel, and he was pushing Jaehyun to limits he didn’t want to. It was too much and he thought it was fine, he thought he was alright like this, because Jaehyun played along, Jaehyun never got angry, never pushed him away. But in the end he left him, and all he had left was a red scarf that belonged to him.

He wanted to cry, he wanted to scream, but deep down, he knew it was best not to, he thought that maybe this was a chance to try again and fall in love with his queen. Maybe this was Jaehyun way of telling him to let go and forget his foolish feeling that were out of place.

 

 

Many years passed, and Taeyong and his queen lived together in married bliss, by the looks of the ones who watched from afar, but the queen knew, deep down, that her king did not love her and never will. The King looked at his bride with responsibility and obligation, but nothing more than that. Because he tried, and tried so hard to fall for her but each time he did Jaehyun would be there in his memory and once more with his smile would threw all his chances away. For years, they lived together and nothing changed.

With Jaehyun gone, the Lady of the Lake took on the role of Taeyong's advisor. Though she had despised Jaehyun, because she knew about him and his feelings. She warned him to let them go, that it was for the best, but he was stubborn and everything she said was in vain. But even so, she liked Taeyong, and she held him in great regard for the work he had done to unite Britain.

One day, Nimue came to him and asked for a boon.

“Take him into your castle and train him in the art of knighthood,” she asked, referring to the handsome, young man beside her. “Knight him whenever he asks for it.”

The young man with her was Kim Dong Young, and Taeyong could see he had the promise of a great fighter.

“Fine, it will be done, if you advise me so.” He agreed, and the lady took her leave.

 

Dong Young asked to be knighted that very evening. Taeyong was a bit surprised that he wanted to be knighted so soon, but Dong Young was sure he was ready. Taeyong agreed, and the following morning, the ceremony took place. There was great celebration, and all in the palace cheered. After he was knighted, Dong Young asked to be the Queen's Champion. This would make it his royal duty to protect the Queen, and defend her honor.

The queen was flattered, and accepted. The king didn’t know and didn’t care either, but he saw, he wasn’t blind. The way she looked at him, the way she smiled for him. He knew that sooner or later he would lose her too, because he wasn’t enough, he never gave her the love she deserved. He couldn’t make her happy, so maybe Dong Young could.

In the battles that followed, Dong Young proved to be an excellent knight. His skill with the sword was unparalleled by any in Camelot, and he quickly rose the ranks to become Taeyong’s finest knight. But more than that, he and Taeyong became good friends.

A part of Taeyong was afraid to get close, but there was a part that hoped that with this friendship he would replace Jaehyun. Maybe Dong Young would help him move on and stop thinking about his loved one but it didn’t. Everything he did, his joy, his smile, and the way he acted and talked, it all reminded him of Jaehyun. And that made him only love the one he missed more. He wanted Jaehyun back, he wanted him to embrace him with his big arms and let him sleep in his warmth once more.

And for a time, Dong Young, Taeyong, and the Queen were inseparable.

 

Then one day, Dong Young was gone. He left without a word and no matter how hard The King and Queen tried to search for him was in vain. No one in the kingdom knew his whereabouts. Many years passed, but Taeyong and his queen never stopped thinking of their friend, or wondering what had become of him.

Taeyong thought of the worst, just like he thought of Jaehyun the first week he left. That he wasn’t enough, that he was too hard on him and he couldn’t take him anymore, so he just left. But the dark side of his head always thought that maybe Jaehyun died somewhere and he will never see the boy again and maybe that happened with Dong Young.

But then one day, Dong Young returned. He had become pale and ragged, but it was unmistakably him. He wasn’t alone, he was hurt and a bit in pain but holding him by his arms as he dragged him back to the castle was the slim body of a man the king knew by heart.

Jaehyun held him close to his body and as he entered the royal court he looked up to the balcony and saw Taeyong. He had a hurt look on his face but when he saw the queen coming out of the main door, rushing to catch Dong Young he didn’t know why, but his heart felt relieved.

The queen took Dong Young and yelled for medics and physicians to assist them immediately. But all Jaehyun could see was his king looking down at him, him face looking relieved and a small smile that was meant only for him. The smile he longed for so many years. All those years he thought of never coming back, that his memories were enough, were all lies.

He wanted to see Taeyong again so badly that the moment he heard one of his best knights fled the castle and they were looking for him he used his magic and finding him on the battlefield made him happy. He could return to his king, he could be by his side again. He had a reason now, he could go back and pretend nothing happened, he could go back and pretend he never left him all those years ago.

Taeyong left the balcony and Jaehyun decided to go up and greet him properly. As he climbed the stairs he felt his heart lighter and lighter. He missed the castle walls, he missed his old room, but most of all he missed the body that laid next to his every night.

He opened the doors to the throne room and he had to take a moment to watch how it was all just as it was when he left. The throne standing firm in the back of the room, covered in red. The red carpet that followed to the chamber where the round table was placed, but most of all, his king that was more beautiful as the years passed and his habit of watching out from the corner of the room at every one who entered his royal space.

“My king,” he said as he stepped closer to Taeyong, “will you allow me to stay by your side once more?”

Taeyong didn’t take much to process what he was asked. He scanned the room and the moment he decided it was safe he rushed to Jaehyun and jumped in his arms hugging him tightly, never wanting to let go again. Tears formed in his eyes and he tried to hold them back as much as he could.

“Never leave me again.” Taeyong said and Jaehyun held back his tears. He was so happy, all this warmth he missed, his soft silver hair that touched his cheek, his trembling hands that embraced his back and waist, but most of all, his voice.

 

Night came fast and Jaehyun entered his room once more, taking in all the things he left behind. Nothing changed, Taeyong made sure his chamber would stay the same. Every time he was sad or down or just couldn’t take it anymore he would go to Jaehyun’ room and sleep in its bed, with his heart heavy he imagined Jaehyun arms embracing him and he would fall asleep.

This time there was no need for that because the one he loved was once more in his rightful place and he wasn’t going to let him go.

“I kept everything like it was.” Taeyong spoke from behind and it startled Jaehyun.

“Yes, I noticed, thank you.” Jaehyun said smiling.

Taeyong didn’t say much, he undressed of his cape, letting it fall to the floor and Jaehyun could only watch. The king went to the bed and as he sat down he smiled and as he extended his arms he motioned for Jaehyun to join him to sleep. Jaehyun complied, walking towards the bed and with his soft smile he laid down in his king’s arms and they fell asleep hugged together once more.

 

 

One day, four strangers came to the gates of Taeyong's castle. Standing on the parapets with Jaehyun, he looked down at them. There were three women and a boy of about fourteen.

“Who are they?” Taeyong asked and Jaehyun didn’t want to answer because he knew Taeyong would not like the answer, but he had to comply.

“The women are your half-sisters by your father,” Jaehyun told him. “Two of them have come to make their peace with you. But the third, is evil. She seeks your downfall. I hoped never to see her in Camelot.”

His expression was a bit confused but didn’t ask much because his eyes fell on the boy standing with them.

“Who is he?” he asked.

“You don't want to know,” Jaehyun warned.

“I want to, and you should tell me.” Taeyong insisted.

“He is your son. The one you made with the woman who came to you that night. The one that made you drink a strange potion and if it wasn’t for me finding you it could have been worst.” Jaehyun spoke with a sad tone. It was a miracle Jaehyun figured that it was magic, the evil sister was good with magic and he was blinded by his love for Taeyong and it almost slipped his eyes.

“How could this happen?” Taeyong questioned, not liking the answer he got.

“It was the third sister who planned his conception with magic. She will use him against you. He will betray you.” Jaehyun warned but deep down he knew it was too late.

 

With one of Taeyong’s knight dead and Dong Young getting better, he was once again Taeyong's best knight. The king knew of Dong Young's love for his queen. But Taeyong even if he respected the queen he knew he could never love her and because Dong Young was loyal and a true friend, he remained silent.

One night, his son, Mark, came to him and told him he had seen Dong Young nearby, and not alone: the Queen had been with him.

“The penalty for adultery is death,” Mark reminded. Taeyong reluctantly agreed, he couldn’t let this one pass so a trap was set.

The next day, the queen told Taeyong she was going out riding again. The king knew she was not going alone so because she was going too far he sent Mark on her trail.  When she left, Mark and some of Taeyong's men followed. When she met Dong Young, they jumped out and grabbed her. Dong Young was able to escape, but the queen was captured.

At Camelot, the Queen was put on trial for adultery, and found guilty. She was tied to a stake and the torches were lit. Just as she was about to be set ablaze, Dong Young rode in with his men, and cut her free. While Taeyong's soldiers were still fighting off the attack, the two lovers rode off together.

 

Taeyong immediately began pursuit of Dong Young and the queen, and they were quickly found at Dong Young's castle in Wales. He felt betrayed and he fought with the queen, but deep down he knew he had no right, because in fact he was happy she ran away.

He was going to let her go for good, because it was tiring to pretend already, but Mark wouldn’t let that happen. For months, Taeyong and his men laid siege to Dong Young castle. Finally, an agreement was reached whereby the queen was returned to Taeyong, and Dong Young was sent to France in exile.

 

But even like this Taeyong was still bitter. He felt that Dong Young had betrayed him, and he wanted revenge. He had no right to claim it but he felt that the kingdom needed this. So he followed Dong Young into France, leaving Mark in charge.

He didn’t want Jaehyun to know, he didn’t want to put him in danger so he left without allowing him to follow. But then Jaehyun sent him the news he dreaded worst: in his absence, Mark had declared himself King, and had taken his queen. Now, Taeyong was left with no choice but to return to Camelot to defend his kingdom.

 

In a dream, Taeyong was warned not to fight Mark right away, so he sent messengers into his camp to try and negotiate. During their talks, one of Mark's men was bitten by an adder. As he drew his sword to kill it, the sun glinted off his blade. Both armies mistook this as a sign that someone had drawn his sword to fight, and a great battle began.

 

Taeyong battled with Mark. The battle raged on all day, and by nightfall, it was down to every last man to fight. Jaehyun came rushing, but by the time he arrived it was too late. He couldn’t save him, he was too late and now it was all over.

In the commotion, Taeyong had dropped Excalibur and its scabbard. Seeing Mark, he picked up a spear, and charged at him. Mark charged back with his sword. The sword came forward and cleaved Taeyong's chest just as he drove his spear through his son's hateful heart.

Jaehyun was at his side in an instant and as he picked him in his arms he cried his heart out.

“No, please, don’t leave me.”

“It’s okay,” Taeyong said coughing blood, “I’m okay.”

“You’re not okay, you’re far from okay, let me fix you, I can fix you, let me fix you.” Jaehyun mumbled and he knew he couldn’t fix his king, nothing could, and it was too late.

“Just,” Taeyong tried to speak as he took hold of Jaehyun arm, “Just hold me.”

“You’re not dying,” Jaehyun cried out, “You’re not dying in my arms.”

As Taeyong lay dying, he spoke his last request, “Please, take the sword Excalibur and the scabbard and throw them back into the lake from whence they came.”

“You’re not dying,” Jaehyun kept saying and repeating the same words over and over again.

“I’ll come back to you,” Taeyong rasped out, barely holding it in.

“I’ll wait for you, no matter how much.” Jaehyun said between his sobs

“Just like you returned to me, I’ll come back to you.”  Taeyong said with his last breath before his body gave up and coldness surrounded him.  

 

Out of the mists of the lake, three Fairy Queens appeared. Jaehyun watched how they placed Taeyong's body on a barge, and sailed off with him to the mystical island of Avalon to let him sleep in a hollow hill and that he will awake once more when he is needed. 

 


A/n: So, this was the first chapter! I hope everyone enjoyed it and please tell me what you think in the comments! I’m sorry if there is too much legend and not much plot but I hope you will enjoy it more in the future chapters! Thank you again for reading~