Old friends meet again

Dress Up {INCOMPLETED)

‘Well, well, well, Kim Kibum, It’s been a while hasn’t it honey?’ drawled the new addition to the already awkward studio.

 

‘...Taemin?’

‘The one and only!’ The blonde guy, Taemin, laughed as he strode across the room coming to a stop by Minho. Minho shot Key an apologetic look before sliding his arm around Taemin’s waist. Jonghyun noted the way the Taemin guy walked, noticing the air of confidence, the perfectly gelled hair and smooth skin over sharp features compiling in one flawless look. Clearly a fellow fashion designer of Key’s from the way he dressed, all soft high necked striped long sleeve T and expensive looking black jeans that fit him perfectly. Jonghyun couldn’t help but feel jealous at how effortless the look was yet the guy still looked a million dollars.

‘Hey baby’ Taemin sang pecking Minho on the cheek and combing through his dark hair gently. Key stood practically seething and Jonghyun feared he would spontaneously combust any minute.

‘What are you doing here Taemin?’ It was barely a question and more of a command to leave. The blonde just beamed at Kibum, practically hanging off Minho. The blonde was clearly enjoying riling Key up way too much.

‘Oh Key, trying to get rid of me so soon? I just wanted to see how you are’ Taemin said, words dripping like a thick poison into the studio. Jonghyun sat, eyes flicking between the pair, sensing the tension. Jonghyun could see how Kibum’s eyes held no warmth for the arrival, the stark contrast between the warm greetings Minho had received in comparison was startling. Kibum and Taemin clearly had bad blood. Very VERY bad blood.

‘Of course not, it’s never my intention to get rid of anyone, that would be your job right?’ Kibum bit out, seething and fixing Taemin with such a glare that Jonghyun almost pitied him. Taemin just laughed at Kibum as if he had just told THE funniest joke going.

‘Oh Key honey, let the past lie! I’m just here today to see how designing is going for next season! Designer to designer you know? That’s all...’ Taemin pouted at Kibum, lazily Minho’s arm, Minho just stood still, eyes not moving from Taemin’s face, he didn’t dare look to Key, fearing he’d no longer see the warmth there from earlier in his friends eyes.

‘Well, Taemin, it’s lovely to see you, but I’m afraid you’re really not welcome’ Key snapped ‘it’s a busy time you see-‘ Key tried to explain patiently, gesturing to the studio around him and tapping at his wristwatch.

Instead of responding, Taemin’s eyes suddenly and finally found Jonghyun. Jonghyun could tell without looking up as it felt like the whole focus of the room shifted, the mood changed, he felt like prey under the gaze of a predator.

‘Well hello there...’ Taemin muttered, cutting off Key in favour of staring at the shy guy sat on the set. ‘And WHO might YOU be?’ Taemin asked stepping just a little closer to Jonghyun and loosening his hold on Minho. Jonghyun’s eyes widened at being paid attention too and he shied away as the intimidating male closed in. Taemin and Kibum were both intimidating but the way Taemin stared at Jonghyun was different. He was like a viper, his gaze wasn’t cold or sharp, he just seemed... unpredictable. Jonghyun felt his throat close up, tongue tying in knots as he shot a look to Kibum, hoping he’d understand.

‘Taemin this is Jonghyun he-‘

‘Hello Jonghyun...’ Taemin greeted once again cutting off Key and holding out a pale hand for Jonghyun to shake. Hesitantly, Jonghyun shook his hand, hating how Taemin held on just a little too long, his hands were cold, not as warm and welcoming as Kibum’s...anyway.

‘You are quite the looker hmm, what on earth are you doing working for Kibum here?’ Taemin said sincerely, tilting his head to the side in genuine curiosity.

‘Taemin, leave it-‘Minho finally spoke up, going to reach for Taemin but was stopped as the blonde lifted a single hand to halt his movements.

‘Why work for this amateur?’ Taemin said, holding a finger to the side of Jonghyun’s rapidly heating face and tilting his head sharply ‘when you could work for me?’

‘Enough!’ Key snapped from behind, hands clenching painfully, teeth gritted as so many emotions boiled up inside him ‘get your hands off him Taemin, I’m asking you to leave for the last time.’

Taemin just laughed, the side of Jonghyun’s face one last time before going back to Minho, wrapping himself up in his arms.

‘It’s all just some fun Key, don’t be so tight-‘Taemin chided, treating Key like a child. ‘And Jonghyun, if you ever change your mind, just hit me up, we’ll show you a good time.’

And with that Taemin was striding away, dragging Minho like the whipped puppy dog that he was.

 

The studio, now empty except for the two, was deadly silent. Jonghyun was unsure how to react, desperately wanting to speak out, to reassure that he wouldn’t just drop Key like that. Key opened his mouth to speak, gaze fixed on the closed door, but no words came out as he stood rigid and unsure. Jonghyun, not trusting himself to speak, never the big talker, did the one thing he could think of to help. He got up from his seat on the set and stepped over to Kibum.

Key slowly drew his eyes away from the door and met Jonghyun’s soft gaze. Jonghyun felt his stomach clench upon seeing the tears b in Key’s eyes. As gently as he could Jonghyun wrapped his arms around Kibum in a hug, he held his breath waiting for the response, hoping he’d done the right thing. And, god he felt so relieved as Key all but melted against him, arms wrapping around Jonghyun tightly, face turning into his neck as he let the tears fall. Jonghyun didn’t speak, just let Kibum hang from him and sob into the carefully made outfit he still wore. Kibum hugged like someone that hadn’t been hugged for a long long time and Jonghyun found himself tearing slightly at the way Key’s small frame sobbed into his shoulder. He didn’t even want to ask about Key’s past with Minho and Taemin, all he wanted to do was hold Key till he felt alright again. Talking can come later...