Seeing Red Lights

Dress Up {INCOMPLETED)

‘Ok, everybody, let’s have a smooth dress rehearsal today shall we?’ Called the tiny, but intimidating, event manager as he surveyed the participating designers in the meeting room of The Incheon Assembly Venue. He was met with a sea of tired but well groomed faces as the designers all sat with their assistants eager to get the day over successfully.

‘In front of you, you should all find the running order for today’s rehearsal, take in to mind that this could change for the real thing in a few weeks time-‘ The manager continued waving at the laminated folders set on the large table,

‘Mr. Min…’ whispered a small voice to the side of the events manager as his dark haired assistant quickly handed him a slip of paper.

Mr. Min paused his pep talk, holding up a finger, to read the note. His eyebrows shooting up under his blonde fringe at the words printed on the paper as he tried not to sigh in annoyance.

‘Ok everybody, it seems we have a late arrival on our hands, I need to go and deal with this. If you all want to head backstage and get your acts lined up, we’ll start shortly’ And with that he was collecting his papers and exiting the meeting room heading out to the office he’d been supplied for the event, assistant running behind him.

 

‘He can’t just do this, he’s always late like this, he can’t just expect-‘ He started to ramble as they sped down the corridor passing the dressing rooms.

‘Yoongi calm down, I’m sure we can squeeze him in somewhere in the lineup!’ His assistant spoke, rubbing Yoongi’s shoulder lightly as they came to the office door.

The door to the office burst open from the inside as the pair ground to a halt in front of the man waiting inside.

Taemin’ Said Yoongi, bowing as much as his dignity would allow him to. ‘You’re late’

Taemin giggled slightly, flicking his freshly dyed copper hair out of his eyes.

‘I know I know, I’m so sorry sweetie, I honestly don’t mean to inconvenience you and Jimin here, I just would love to participate in the show this year!’ Taemin pouted, resting a hand gently on Yoongi’s arm as the two had stepped into the office.

Jimin couldn’t help but bristle slightly, eyes narrowing at Taemin’s childishly innocent expression, hand still wresting on Yoongi’s pale arm.

‘Its fine-‘Yoongi muttered, removing the others hand gently ‘-you just better have a decent lineup already, we can’t be waiting on you when the show is barely a month away…’

‘Don’t worry!’ Taemin sang, waving his hands in dismissal. ‘I’m all ready don’t you worry. Now it’s been lovely chatting but I have places to be today, can’t stay for rehearsal I’m afraid’ He cooed shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly under his fur coat.

‘See you soon hyung!’ Taemin chirped before he was off in a flurry of expensive perfume and fur, down the corridor and away from the pair.

 

‘Jimin…’

‘Yes Yoongi?’

‘See to it, that he causes no trouble ok?’

‘Trouble?’

Yoongi just nodded, before dropping his papers on his temporary desk and grabbing his head seat.

The rehearsal was about to start.

 

***

 

‘You are gonna be fine Jonghyun darling ok, it’s just a rehearsal, you prepared so well-‘

‘Key?’

‘Don’t panic ok, you’re fine, you’re a performer you know what you’re doing, right? Right-‘

‘Keeyy’

‘You’re fine, this is just a rehearsal, I believe in you ok, I do-‘

Key!’

‘Yes?’ Kibum stopped his nervous rambling as he flustered around the dressing room.

‘I’m not panicking, you’re panicking.’ Jonghyun pointed out, holding Keys shoulders still.

‘Yeah... sorry, it’s just a new song and routine and I just want things to go well’ Kibum apologized, lowering his gaze to the hands that firmly clasped his shoulders.

‘I know…’ Jonghyun murmured. Absently rubbing his thumbs in comforting circles on Kibum’s arms (Kibum was glad he held onto him cos he may just collapse otherwise)

‘But it’ll be fine; your models know their queues and I know my song, our song even! I’m a performer; I’m used to the stage ok? Just sit back and enjoy it yeah?’ Jonghyun finished reassuringly before finally stepping away and grabbing his mic as Yuna came into the dressing room.

‘Ok guys, let’s do this!’

 

***

 

‘Watching me, come on, watching me. How you gonna dress up today?’

 

Jonghyun’s voice was smooth over the sound system as he performed on the T shaped stage to the empty auditorium. The models, not yet in their outfits (they weren’t finished yet anyway), practicing their turns and walks on either side of him. Kibum stood just off to the side, making sure his models met their queues all the while getting distracted by Jonghyun on stage. There was just something about his deep bass voice that transitioned so easily into a falsetto hitting each note perfectly.

Kibum had long since stopped denying his obvious attraction to the singer. He’d be stupid if he wasn’t attracted to him. He’d come to terms with it but it still caused difficulties, particularly when he was supposed to be doing his job.

Slowly but surely, the song came to an end and Kibum felt his chest just burst as Jonghyun beamed at him through the last notes before running off stage excitedly. Kibum watched as Jonghyun ran over like a puppy dog chasing a Frisbee before the usually shy singer was launching himself on Kibum, arms wrapping round his waist and picking him up.

‘Yah! Put me down!’ Kibum squealed as Jonghyun buried his face in Kibum’s chest messing up his shirt.

‘Did you see that Key, did ya did ya! It went just as well as I said, hey?’ Jonghyun rambled happily spinning Kibum round before setting him down again, not letting go.

‘It was wonderful, of course it was, I never doubted you!’ Key smiled Jonghyun’s cheek before he felt Jonghyun’s grip on him loosen as a few of the models came and congratulated him on the awesome song, slowly pulling him away.

Kibum was satisfied with watching Jonghyun mingle with the models, excitedly babbling about his performance and the models performances too. Kibum felt like he’d watched Jonghyun grow up in some way, he wasn’t as shy and self conscious about himself as much these days. It made his singing even better now that he felt confident and Kibum was so happy for him.

So goddamn happy it actually hurt.

He didn’t remember the last time he cared about someone this much (well he did, but he preferred to forget about that) Jonghyun was the only one he’d had eyes for now…

 

***

 

Kibum sat in the passenger side of Jonghyun’s car, the smooth leather seats cool under his hands as music quietly played from the speakers. The pair were making their way back from the venue after sitting all evening and watching the rest of the performances play through. Finally Yoongi had called out to all the designers and informed them that the rehearsal for that evening was finally over and they could go rest ready for the next few days.

Kibum, Jonghyun and Yuna had all stumbled their way into Jonghyun’s car and Yuna had barely had her eyes open as they dropped her off at her apartment with a sleep wave goodbye. Now it was just Kibum and Jonghyun in the car surrounded by a comforting quiet as they drove through the empty night streets.

‘Remind me where you live again, I was quite drunk last time I was round…’ Jonghyun joked softly as he spun the car wheel lazily steering the car through the empty streets of the city.

Kibum just laughed giving him directions before relaxing back into his seat and watching Jonghyun drive. He watched as the excitement from the evening left a glow behind on the others cheeks, how the tension had gone from his shoulders and how he smiled sleepily.

Then Kibum did something.

Something he hadn’t planned to do.

He’s not sure what caused him to do it. Maybe it was the way the city was so quiet and dark, or how Jonghyun’s eyes sparkled in the lights from the dashboard, or how cozy Kibum felt curled up in his seat and how everything felt so ethereal.

Like he could do anything in that moment without consequence.

So there Kibum sat, the car halted at a red light, the glow surrounding them as his arms braced against his seat turning Jonghyun’s face with one hand before kissing him softly. Kibum kissed him, lips fully meeting as he just held himself there, eyes fluttering shut, waiting. After a few seconds he pulled away, foreheads still pressed together, eyes fluttering open. He gave a cautious look to Jonghyun and giggled at the way his jaw had gone slack and his cheeks burnt up a brilliant pink.

‘Jonghyun’ Kibum whispered in the quiet of the car. ‘The lights gone green’

Jonghyun jolted apart, starting the car driving again, eyes still wide and smile softly curling at his lips. Kibum sat back in his seat again, satisfied smile painting his face.

Hopefully, there’d be more where that came from…

 

***

 

A/N

so that happened.