Eight

Unlikely Fairytale

Not long after his results were out, Jungkook had found a letter from one of the university he applied to. He decided to open the letter with his family as they gathered for dinner. What he got was more than what he had hoped for. He was offered a scholarship from the university for his sports skill and the family celebrated. The first person he thought of telling the good news was Yerim so she quickly called her. Hearing the news, Yerim was happy for Jungkook and they talked for a bit more before bidding each other goodnight.

The following days were filled with catcing up on subjects for Yerim and looking for rents for Jungkook. Since his university is a bit further from his house, they had agreed to let Jungkook find somewhere closer to campus. On the other hand, Yerim has been busy with the drama club which made her a bit behind on her studies but she's quickly catching up.

Spring was soon approaching and so was Yerim's birthday. Each year Jungkook and Yerim would celebrate each other's birthday by just hanging out together and a cake. Yerim was quite excited for her upcoming birthday, she and Jungkook have been getting along quite great. It felt as if their relationship has somehow progressed (or at least Yerim hoped it did).

 

-

 

One Saturday afternoon, both Jungkook and Yerim had decided to hang out for old time's sake. Both of them had been busy with their own things and it was coincidental that they were free at the same time.

As opposed to hanging out at home, Jungkook and Yerim decided to venture out to the mall and just aimlessly wander around. They stopped by different kind of shops and were able to have fun eitherway at each shop. Unknowing to Yerim, Jungkook has been keeping a close eye on each item she's interested in. As Yerim's birthday was soon approaching, Jungkook was hoping he'd be able to find something of her liking. Unfortunately there wasn't anything that has piqued Yerim's interest.

As they passed by a bookshop, Yerim had asked if they could go in and check out some books. Both went in and browsed through the shelves, stopping once in a while to check out a book they thought looked interesting. Soon they found themselves in the children's section. They both reminisce their childhood when they saw their favorite books. They were both having so much fun reading a couple of them to each other and luckily they weren't that many people in the bookstore itself.

Jungkook was currently reading another book he found when he saw Yerim wandering around the section and looking at each shelf closely.

"Looking for something?" Jungkook asked as he approached the girl.

"Hm, there's this book I was hoping to find." Yerim answered distractedly, still busy scanning the row of books. She continued on to another row and huffed when she seemed to have not found what she was looking for.

"What book is it?" Jungkook said as he also began scanning another row of books.

"It's a limited edition fairy tales collection." The younger explained. "I've been looking for it everywhere but none of the bookstores here have it." With a hum, Jungkook began to think.

Maybe this will be a great gift for her, he thought as he pretended to continue searching for the so called book. They gave up looking for the so called book not long after that and decided to wander around some more before the day ended.

 

-

 

Yerim's birthday was approaching in a couple of days and Jungkook was still busy looking for the book. Since he didn't have much to do before his upcoming graduation, Jungkook has been mostly busy with university preparations. He's gotten a lot of things done; living arrangements, looking into the curriculum, etc. Now all he has to do is to find Yerim's birthday gift.

He's checked a couple of book stores around town and none have it. He thought about purchasing the book online but the book either would be sent too late or the shipping fee would cost much more than the book itself. He was mindlessly scrolling through the web still trying to find the best option until his eyes landed on one particular link. The link went to a website of a certain bookshop located an hour away from the city, he had to take a bus to get there. The problem was, it only opens during the weekend and Yerim's birthday is on Saturday. He made a note where the bookstore was located and which bus to take, the next problem arose when he saw the opening time. 11AM. There was only one bus that goes there as well and the frequency was low, if he missed the bus he had to wait for 45 minutes for another one to arrive.

Clearing his mind, Jungkook calculated the time and thought he had enough time if he went there as soon as the shop opened. He can make it back for the usual mini (not so) surprise birthday celebration. He quickly set the alarm for the morning and went to bed earlier, even forgetting to give Yerim a birthday message at midnight.

The next morning Jungkook got up early and was able to catch the bus right on time. Arriving at the bookshop, he quickly went to the cashier and asked about the book. After paying for the book, Jungkook looked at his watch and thought he had quite some time before the next bus. He went by a small cafe and decided to buy some cupcakes as Yerim's birthday cake.

Going out of the cafe, he was startled to find a bus already waiting at the stop and he ran to catch the bus. He was lucky enough to board on time and when he saw the bus was quite empty, he took a seat near the window. Twenty minutes into the bus ride Jungkook looked at the scenery outside and was not familiar with it. He then went and asked the bus driver and found out that he got into the wrong bus and had to change bus at the next stop.

Getting off the bus, Jungkook thanked the driver and went to look for the correct bus stop... Only to found that the one he needed to get on was out of service until further notice. He was confused as he's never been to this particular place and he couldn't spot anyone near. Jungkook decided to find dircetions through his phone only to find that his battery was running low.

How unlucky can I get?

 

-

 

On the other hand, Yerim had woken up a bit later than usual since she was busy replying messages from some of her friends. As soon as she woke up, Yerim had checked her phone and found a number of notifications but oddly none was from Jungkook. Both would usually be the first ones to message each other during birthdays.

When she got downstairs her parents greeted her a happy birthday and each gave Yerim a tight hug. They even had a small birthday cake ready for her and had breakfast together. After that Yerim had went and took a bath, still wondering why Jungkook still hadn't messaged her.

Noon came and there was still no sign of Jungkook. Yerim even had decided she'd go over to his house before her doorbell rang. She was surprised to find her best friends waiting in front of the door and tackling he into a group hug. After letting the birthday girl go, they quickly asked Yerim to change into something nice as they had made plan for the day.

After changing into the outfit her friends chose, they had proceeded to drag Yerim out after saying goodbye her parents. Yerim was quite surprised with the turn of events and had been asking what they had planned only to be shushed by the other girls. They went to the shopping centre and had dragged Yerim to many of the stores and they even went to the arcade. Yerim had to admit she had fun and the girls did take her mind out of Jungkook.

After a couple of hours walking around, they soon reached a restaurant where Yerim was suddenly blindfolded. They had carefully guiding her throughout the place. When they took off her blindfold she was surprised to see some of the drama club members being there and greetung her a happy birthday. They even had cake prepared and had sang happy birthday for her.

Yerim had a great time with the drama club members and was touched when some had also brought gifts. Despite the fun, Yerim was seen looking at her phone once in a while. Saeron her best friend has asked why she kept looking at her phone and even thinking she was waiting for someone's text. Yerim shrugged it off though it was the truth. Yerim had sent a text to him jokingly asking why he hasn't said anything to her but Jungkook still hadn't replied.

 

-

 

Jungkook was beginning to get desperate. He has been walking around and asking people how to get back but they couldn't give him any way out. They only know of the bus that was currently out of service and decided to rest. He had opted to just walk and maybe grab a ride with some nice random person but was unlucky.

It felt as if he'd walked so long but there have only been a few cars that has past by him and they went the opposite direction. He felt as if he was some kind of knight from a story who was on a quest to bring back a sacred treasure. Deciding to take a break, Jungkook had sat down on the dirt. He was lucky enough that the weather has been nice and that he had a bottle of water he bought from the town. He 's been sitting down for quite some time but there seemed to be no signs of incoming cars and he's afraid it he woudn't find any ride before it got dark so he decided to walk again.

After quite a while, Jungkook can hear a car incoming and quickly looked towards its direction and had waved, hoping the driver would have mercy on him. The car stopped and Jungkook was surprised to see the driver.

"Jungkook?" The driver exclaimed as the window rolled down. The feminine voice shocked him and when he ducked down to see better he was surprised to see Lee Eunji. "What are doing in the middle of nowhere?"

"Uh, hi sunbae it's a long story." He said as he scratched the back of his neck. Eunji quickly asked Jungkook to get in and he told her what happened as they started their journey. Turned out that Eunji had just visited a relative from a town an hour from where she found Jungkook and was heading back. Jungkook explained how he got into this predicament and the elder could only shook her head in disbelief.

They had been driving for a while when Eunji decided to stop by a restaurant. Jungkook was confused when she stopped the car, looking at his watch he was afraid he couldn't make it back on time. However, Eunji had suggested they grab something to eat first since she figured Jungkook probably wouldn't have eaten yet and promised they'd be quick.

Jungkook could only sigh and went out of the car to follow the older girl and hope he could make it on time.

 

-

 

 

When the group decided it was time to head back it was quite late. Her friends were begging for Yerim to come and have a sleep over but she was hesitating thinking maybe Jungkook would be waiting. She had gave out the excuse of her parents might want her back home but they had said that they've asked for their permission.

She was about to come up with another excuse when she spotted someone getting out of a car. The figure looked familiar to her but she decided that it couldn't be Jungkook. However, when she squinted a bit turns out she was right, the person getting off was Jungkook. She tried to look further and found that the driver of the car was none other than Lee Eunji. A million thoughts ran through her head and her stomach felt like it was twisted.

She knew there must be a reason for the scene unfolding before her but she just couldn't focus on anything aside from the hurt she felt. Taking a deep breath she went back to her friends and said she's going to join them for the sleep over. Her friends cheered and walked ahead. Before following her friends, Yerim looked back at Jungkook who was waving goodbye to Eunji, she took her phone and decided to switch it off.

She knew it was a bit childish of her, running away and deciding to not want to want to see Jungkook's name popping up on her phone. However, she did feel hurt because they've been celebrating each others birthday since they've met. But now Jungkook seemed to have found someone else, his real princess, and Yerim felt as if she's the one that's been replaced.