Seven

Unlikely Fairytale

Holiday ended and students went back to school. During the rest of the holiday Yerim and Jungkook had kept their communication to a minimum. The Jeons went away for New Year's while Yerim and her family had just enjoyed their stay at home. Both of them had only sent each other messages, though they were only sent during New Year and also small talks here and there.

The first week of the new semester had gone by a breeze. Since they had just gotten back from the break, there weren't much to stress over. This semester however, Yerim seemed to have a set of admirers. People have started to notice the new look Yerim is sporting. Some of her classmates and also the drama club members have mentioned how cute she looked with her new bangs. Not to mention the glances she's gotten from a couple of students outside her class.

Yerim hadn't really noticed the attention at first, a bit oblivious to the stares but she felt it odd how some students she's never spoken to have been greeting her in the hallways. Her friends had also notice Yerim's popularity and would calling her "hot Yerim" every now and then.

Yerim's sudden rise of admirers also did not go unnoticed by Jungkook. He's been hearing a couple of his classmates and also teammates' remarks about Yerim. All of them has been mentioning how cute and adorable she has gotten recently, especially with her bangs. It irked him a bit hearing their sudden interest in Yerim. She's been adorable since long ago. He would argue but would dismiss the thought as well.

Jungkook's grades have gone back up now and he is now much more focused in applying for universities. His tutoring sessions with Eunji is not as frequent as before. During the holiday they also didn't communicate much, he was busy spending time with his relatives he hasn't seen for a while and Eunji had never actually initiated a conversation. He had mostly kept in contact with Yerim though it wasn't much but at least it was much more than with Eunji. From there on Jungkook felt like that attraction towards Eunji had just turned into admiration towards this mature and smart woman.

-

One day after school Jungkook had overheard something that made him feel unsettled. A couple of boys were joking around one table. He was packing up when he heard his bestfriend's name being mentioned.

"So Kim Yerim, huh?" One had said.

"Ooh, are you planning to ask her out today?" Another one teased, the rest snickered. When Jungkook looked over to Jaehyun's table, the boy in question was already seen blushing.

"Quit it guys." He grumbled, cheeks slightly pink. "Yes I'm going to ask her out today, but I'm not so sure how she'll respond since we rarely talk."

Hearing this Jungkook had stopped what he was during before and focused on the unsettling feeling in his heart. He wasn't so sure why he felt that way in the first place but he did not want to stay and hear further. Luckily, that day Yerim had to stay back a while longer in school and Jungkook went home alone. During the way back, he had a bit of time to mull over his thoughts and came to a sudden thought.

Am I jealous? He questioned himself. No, that can't be it, it's probably a more protective kind of thing since Yerim doesn't interact much with boys. He finalized, but he still didn't feel so great.

Later that night, Jungkook was still feeling uneasy and decided to head to the convenience store to help clear his mind. When he went out she could see a familiar figure walking not far so he decided to call out, "Kim Yerim!!"

The said girl flinched at the sound and quickly turned around. When she spotted the culprit she was pleasantly surprised who it was. Jungkook caught up to her and she greeted him with a warm smile. "Did you just head back from school?" He asked and the girl nodded.

"What did I tell you about calling me if you went back late and alone? I thought I asked you to call me, hm?" He reprimanded while ruffling her hair. Yerim glared at him but he knew she wasn't that mad at him, especially when he saw the corner of her lip tilt up a bit.

"It's not even that late," she explained while trying to fix her hair, "and I didn't want to bother your studies." The boy only shook his head in disagreement, then he realized the plastic bag he was holding.

"Hey, are you in a hurry to get back?" He asked and the girl said no, but was confused to where this was going. "I bought some snacks just now, want to eat by the swings just like old times?" Yerim said yes.

They raced towards the swings and opened up a bag of chips to share while they played around. They started out talking about random things going on in their lives and continued to teasing each other which had caused them to laugh plenty of times. During that time as well Jungkook had really looked at Yerim closely. The way the street light had casted upon her face, the slight blush adorning her cheeks from the cold temperature and how her whole face lights up when she laughed. That had resulted in him blurting out, "You're really adorable."

Noticing how sudden and unplanned that was, he quickly added, "Your bangs really suit you."

Yerim's face turned redder at the sudden compliment but she gave him a smile and a small thank you. "Thought you wouldn't notice it."

"What? Me? Come on, how long have been best friends?" Jungkook argued. "I've noticed since the Christmas gathering but just haven't had the time to say anyting about it."

"And of course I'd noticed when a frog suddenly turned into a girl." He cheekily added causing Yerim to glare. She gave him a light slap on the shoulder which only caused Jungkook to laugh.

"Really though, I think you look like a princess now and even before." Yerim was surprised by what the boy had said and quickly looked down at her lap. They grew silent after that and Jungkook cleared his throat.

"So, did anything interesting happened?" He randomly asked. Yerim thought about her day but couldn't find anything interesting until she remembered a certain event.

"Oh, actually someone from your year approached me." She recalled and Jungkook was suddenly remembered of his classmate's plan to ask Yerim out. He tensed up, afraid of the possibility of Yerim and Jaehyun together. He knew he was overreacting but he couldn't help fealing uneasy.

"Oh yeah, who? What did he want?" He tried to sound nonchalant.

"He just came up to me after school and we talked briefly." She explained, recalling the event. "He suddenly asked if I wanted to hang out together." This put Jungkook's attention towards Yerim. He was dreading to hear what her reply would be.

"But I don't know him at all so I rejected the offer." She continued, pushing back slightly on her swing. She began to swing slowly while humming a random tune, not noticing the sigh of relief Jungkook let out after hearing her response.

-

 

The seniors are now facing their final exams. Most of them have been seen in school studying until late, some had qucikly went to their extra lessons outside of school. Jungkook was focused during this period of time. He's sent applications for a couple of universities he and his parents had agreed upon and only had to focus on his last hurdle. Now he only needs to concentrate on his studies and hope that one of the universities would accept him.

Yerim had given him the space he needed to focus but still had kept in contact with him. They would still be chatting now and then, and she had also went to his house a few times to give him some treats for motivation. Yerim had bumped into Eunji the times she went over to his house and they had conversed a bit before excusing herself and not wanting to bother their tutoring.

When exams had ended, Jungkook felt like he could finally breathe. Now all he has to do is wait for the final results to come out for the university to be able to give their final decision. During this period of time, Jungkook had a bit more time to himself though he was still anxious for the results.

A couple of weeks after that the results are out and Jungkook had been jittery all morning. He had went to school along with Yerim and she could see how nervous he was. Arriving at school with a bit of time before class, Yerim had decided to accompany Jungkook to check his results. He kept on wanting to stall the process but Yerim was determined for him to get over it as soon as possible. With a bit (or a big) push, they had arrived infront of the result board that was crowded with the rest of the seniors.

Yerim had to drag Jungkook and pushed their way in to get a better look of the list. Once they found a clear spot Jungkook and Yerim start looking through the list of names. Jungkook quickly spotted his name and out of reflex grabbed ahold of Yerim. He crushed her into a bear hug all the while saying "I passed!!"

Yerim was flustered by the boy's action but was soon overcome by happiness for him. She returned the hug and congratulated him. They both stayed like this for a while until they felt a couple of eyes on them. Both had just remembered where they were and Yerim was the first to broke the hug as she softly pushed the boy away. She let out a big smile at Jungkook right before the bell rang and she excused herself to get to class.

Jungkook saw her figure going further away from him and let out a small laugh remembering what he just did and was starting to get embarassed. The hug was impulsive but he didn't regret it one bit. After that he collected himself and went to find his friends to see how they did. Because for now all he had to wait is for the offer letter.

 

A/N: Hiya I know it's been a while since i've last updated. I sort of had a block but am now back on track :D Just letting you know that I'll be updating the next chapter soon and that this story is close to an end. I had originally planned this story to not be too long and I hope you'll enjoy the next few chapters :) P.S: I was surprised to see some of your reactions toward Jungkook! Thank you for the comments and for taking time to read the story!