Six

Unlikely Fairytale

Things seemed to have pile up after one another. It was almost winter break and school appears to have gotten busier and busier. Yerim and Jungkook seemed to have things on their plates with the end of the semester exams, clubs, and college applications for Jungkook.

After the failed movie night, Yerim and Jungkook had gone back to their usual state of relationship though Jungkook is still busy with his phone most of the time. Yerim couldn't remember the last time they had a genuine talk like they used to. Hwoever, that was pushed to the back of her mind for the time being with the drama production and exams that were coming up soon.

It's only two weeks left before the production and Yerim has been extra busy. Some of the costumes were still not finished and some needed some adjustments. She's been heading home later than usual and though her parents were a bit worried, she assured them that she'd be fine. Most days she would head home before it gets too late. On days she does go home late, she's always accompanied by her friends.

However, on this particular day Yerim had to leave quite late and her friends who usually walk together with her had left before. Lee Chan, her classmate and also one of the actors in the drama had offered her to join him and the senior Boo Seungkwan a ride back home. But Yerim declined, knowing that they lived on the opposite side and it was getting a bit late for them as well.

Yerim had walked quickly back home. Though she put up a tough front, she was still a bit frightened of her surroundings. She passed by the convinience store and that relieved her knowing that she only needed to walk a while longer. However, as she walked further away from it, she began to hear footsteps behind her. Not wanting to look back and make any sudden movements, Yerim decided to walk a little faster. Then she noticed that the footsteps had also increased its speed. Suddenly, a hand was on her shoulder and on instinct she screamed.

"Yerimie?" A familiar voice called out. Yerim was trembling by then and when she looked back towards the owner of the voice and hand, she was glad that it was Jungkook. "Why are you out so late?"

"I-I just c-came back from school." Her voice still came out shaky despite her attempt to calm down. "I n-needed to finish some stuff for the production."

Jungkook was silently looking at her. He had just stepped out of the convenience store when he spotted a familiar figure. He didn't know whether it was Yerim or not and decided to catch up but the girl seemed to have fasten her pace which resulted in him speeding up as well. He was worried though seeing the girl trembling a bit from the incident.

"Why were you alone?" He asked again, genuinely concerned for her being out so late and alone. Seeing how she was just with this incident, he couldn't and didn't want to imagine if someone else had gotten to her. "Wait, no, why didn't you just call me if you were going home alone?"

Yerim bit her lip at that, she had wanted to call Jungkook but she thought he would be too busy with his tutoring so she didn't want to bother him. "I just...didn't want to bother you." She finally let out weakly, looking down at her feet. However, Jungkook wasn't having any of it.

"What are you talking about Yerim?" He began. "Isn't our relationship over that stage of not wanting to bother each other over trivial things?"

It hasn't felt like it for quite a while now. Is what Yerim wanted to say but held back. Instead she gave out an excuse. "I guess I thought you'd just be busy."

Jungkook was silent after that. The both of them just stood there with Yerim still not meeting his gaze. Jungkook then sighed and proceed to take of his jacket and wrapped it on Yerim. "Wear that, it's getting colder and let's head back quickly."

The walk was silent and for Yerim it was a bit awkward. Though these days they haven't talked much during their walk to school, there was no tension whatsoever. But now, it seemed like the tension was thick enough to be cut with a knife. Luckily, it didn't take them too long to reach Yerim's house. Yerim took off his jacket and handed it to him as she said a quiet thank you. Before entering her house, Jungkook had called her name.

"Seriously, just call me if you're going home alone, okay?" He said. "Can't have the princess going home by herself can't we?" He joked which made a small smile appear on Yerim's lips. She didn't say anything but otherwise nodded and gave out a small wave to the boy before closing the door.

 

-

 

After that, Yerim and Jungkook's dynamic seemed to have started to go back to the original state. They talked a bit more though Jungkook can sometimes still be busy with his phone. But, Jungkook would always make sure to ask Yerim if she's going to have to stay until late and whether or not someone will walk together with her. Most days she would go home by herself and she would call Jungkook. But there were days where he would just come and pick her up even though she had assured him that someone else would walk home with her.

The day of the production soon came and Yerim was quite pleased with the overall result of her working until late to finish and fix the costumes. When the costume team were called to do the bow, she could spot Jungkook standing up giving a big applause. She beamed knowing that Jungkook came and appreciated her work.

After the production, the duo's dynamic could almost be seen to have gotten better, almost back to their usual one. They joked more and movie nights had started once again. Soon, however, their end of the semester exams came down and both were swamped with their studies. Jungkook went back to his tutoring sessions while Yerim studied either at the library with friends or at home alone.

The both were busy doing their things but lucklily they didn't drift away like before.

 

-

 

Christmas soon came rolling by and decorations were out, at the mall, streets, and also at home. The Jeons will be having their yearly Christmas gathering which usually consisted of dinner and presents with the Kims. The parents would be busy talking among themselves while their children are left to talk or play games together. Jungkook's older brother would usually join them, but this year he couldn't make it home due to his work.

It was only a few days left until the Christmas gathering and Yerim was not finished with her shopping list. She already had everyone's gift but one person was left for her to find, Jungkook's. She couldn't really decide on what to get him so she just strolled around the shopping centre, wandering aimlessly.

While Yerim was busy looking at a display at one of the stores, someone had called on her name. Turning to look at who it was, Yerim was surprised to find none other than Jungkook.

"Are you buying gifts as well?" Was the first thing he asked. Yerim nodded and explained that she's pretty much done and was only left with a few more. "Yeah, it's a bit confusing this year, there are too many options."

After that, both decided to stroll around together. They went from shops to shops trying to figure out what to get but each time they left a store, they still couldn't decide. Nevertheless, they had fun together. They tried out accessories and suggested ideas for one another, but they still couldn't decide on what to get. Soon the grew tired and decided to take a break at a cafe they often go to. Yerim was enjoying her slice of cake when she noticed Jungkook deep in thought. She was about to ask if he was okay when the boy suddenly shifted his gaze towards her, although a bit hesitant.

"Yerim...can i ask you a question?" He started nervously, she giggled a bit at his sudden shyness.

"You're already asking me a question." She teased, but instead of the usual playful glare Jungkook would give, he kept on being hesitant which confused her a bit. "Okay, what did you want to ask?"

"So, uh, um," Jungkook stuttered out. "What do...what would girls like for a present?"

Yerim almost laughed at the question, finding it a bit weird but she held it in. "I'm not sure, it depends on who the girl is, I guess?"

"Ugh, that's not helping." He groaned. "Okay, what would you like for Christmas?"

The question threw Yerim off guard. Was he thinking of what to give me for Christmas? She wasn't so sure how to answer it, also it wasn't quite clear whether Jungkook had genuinely asked about her of just hypotetically. So she answered that she wasn't sure herself and that maybe they should look around some more.

After finishing their food, both went back strolling through the shops. They had decided to stop by at an accessories shop when Yerim's attention was drawn to a section of the store filled with jewelries. When Jungkook found her, she was busy looking at the array of necklaces and earrings.

"Found something you liked?" He asked while she replied with a hum. Jungkook proceed to look at the display of accessories when his eyes landed on two necklaces. Grabbing them, Jungkook weighed between the two and shifted towards Yerim. "If you had to choose between the two, which one do you like best?"

"Oh, I saw them and thought they were nice as well." She replied when she had a good look at what Jungkook was holding. She then thought for a while before choosing the snow pendant rosegold necklace. Jungkook thought for a while and nodded before putting it back which confused Yerim a bit.

Did he not want to buy in front of me because he didn't want me to know or...? However Yerim decided to not think about it much. If Jungkook did decide to give her that necklace she'd be happy, but she didn't want to get her hopes up too much. Yerim then proceeded to look at the earrings again.

 

-

 

A day before the party, Yerim decided to try something new with her hair. She went to the salon and had boldly ask for a new hairdo and asked for some suggestions. Some were a bit too much for her so she decided on getting a seethrough bangs. She was satisfied with it and thanked the hairstylist for the idea.

When the day of the party came by, Yerim was quite excited. She had helped her mom getting the dessert ready to bring over to the Jeons and then gotten ready to head over to their house. Once they made over to the Jeons, Yerim had placed her presents under the Christmas tree before heading towards the kitchen to help the mothers. The atmosphere was familiar as they talked among themselves when suddenly the doorbell rang.

"Who could that be? Did Junghyun decide to come back afterall?" Your mother asked, thinking it was the Jeon's eldest son. However, Yerim really did not expect the actual person behind the door. Jungkook made his way to answer the mysterious guest and Yerim was surprised to see the familiar face of Jungkook's tutor.

"Sorry it's a bit short noticed but I invited Eunji-sunbae over," Jungkook said as they entered the dining room. "Everyone, this is Lee Eunji, my tutor and also a senior back when I was in first year."

Everyone greeted her and introduced themselves. They welcomed her warmly and told her to take a seat since dinner was about to start. Once everything was set on the table, everyone started to eat. Conversations were thrown along as they ate, questions mostly asked regarding schools for the young ones. Throughout dinner, Yerim had observed the older girl and was fascinated by her. She thought Eunji was the epitome of elegance and maturity, she answered every question politely and was very knowledgable.

After dinner, everybody had helped cleaning the table and then proceeded to move to the living room. The conversation had started once again, mostly among the adults with little inputs from the three youngest. After a while, Jungkook had decided to show Eunji around the house a bit and also asked Yerim if she wanted to tag a long. The three of them decided to play a bit in Jungkook's room before the time to exchange presents.

As Jungkook and Eunji were engrossed in their conversation, Yerim couldn't help to compare herself with the older girl. She was quite tall, her hair was kept short falling only a bit abover her shoulder. She was very nice and quite outgoing, making Yerim quite comfortable with her. Most importantly she was calm and mature.

Yerim looked over towards the standing mirror inside Jungkook's room. She was considered small, her black hair straight and now had bangs. She looked down at her Christmas sweater and felt like a kid, especially with her new hairstyle. Compared to Eunji she looked like a child. She let out a small sigh before their parents called them to open presents.

As each found their own presents, they were all preoccupied with their own things. Yerim's mood went up a bit after opening her presents, her previously muddled thoughts were now at the back of her mind. The last gift she had to open was from Jungkook. When she opened the gift, she was surprised to see what he got her. It was a pair of glasses that she had also bought for Jungkook along with an earring she saw at one of the store they went to.

She was about to say that they got each other matching gifts when Yerim saw Jungkook shyly handing something to Eunji. The box was small and Yerim was curious to what was inside and it turned out to be the rosegold snowflake necklace they saw.

Yerim then heard Eunji thanking him and apologizing for not getting him anything. Jungkook had tried to cooly shrug it off and said that it was okay and that it was also a thank yougift  for helping him with the tutoring. What caused a tiny pinch in Yerim's heart though was the blush that went to his ears and also the abashed expression he had on. They seemed to be in a world of their own and she was out of that bubble.

Later on the adults felt like it was a wrap and started cleaning. After that, they bid farewell and Jungkook decided to walk Eunji to the bus stop without even sparing a glance towards Yerim.

Yerim also noticed that Jungkook hasn't actually opened the present she gave him. That night Yerim had a hard time falling asleep.