Part 8

Blue House

 

 

It is Sunday afternoon.

They are back home and Sunggyu currently is sitting on the comfortable office chair next to the desk that Woohyun uses in their bedroom, aimlessly turning left and right on his seat.

He had felt a bit hungover this morning, but not enough to disturb him all day.

It was Woohyun that woke up with an aching throat and head and around lunch time a slight fever rose.

Now he is in bed, a big lump under the blanket.

Another turn on the chair and Sunggyu decides it is finally time to take matters in his own hand and to call Bo Ah.

He takes out the note Myungsoo gave him and makes sure his number will be suppressed before he tips in the numbers.

He hates calling people.

Woohyun was the exception, because he felt comfortable.

But normally, he breaks out into cold sweat only thinking about calling a doctor for an appointment.

" Woohyun?" he gently calls over to the lump on the bed, checking if he his awake.

" Let me die in peace."

A dishevelled looking Woohyun peels himself out of the covers and Sunggyu knows he got his attention despite the whining.

" I'm going to call her now. I'll be in the living room so you can sleep more."

" Stay here." Woohyun whines, falling face first into his fluffy pillow.

" You're sick and need to sleep."

How he should explain to social butterfly Woohyun that calling in front of other people is ten times worse than just calling is still a mystery to Sunggyu.

" I need to make sure you're not messing up things."

Woohyun coughs once, snuffles loudly and curtly gets out of bed, a thin blanket wrapped around his body. Sunggyu is barely able to protest when Woohyun nonchalantly plops down in his lap, back against chest, his head comfortably leaning on Sunggyus shoulder.

" Now you can't run anymore."

Sunggyu rolls his eyes, not that much minding Woohyun that close.

He touches his boyfriends cheek with the back of his hand. " We need to check your temperature again later."

" Can you make me pizza later?"

" I'm not going to make you pizza. You're sick. You need fruits and soup."

Woohyun grimaces in disgust.

" But Gyu...", he tries, his voice an octave higher. " I would make you pizza."

Sunggyu only raises an eyebrow and Woohyun gives in pretty easliy.

" I know. I wouldn't. I would give you apple sauce the next three weeks."

" Good boy." Sunggyu kisses his cheek.

Then his thoughts wander back to the phone call.

Her once again has to put in the numbers.  When Woohyun sees the note in Sunggyus hands he takes it and holds it so Sunggyu can read the numbers better.

After a few moments of nervous waiting a female voice answers the call.

" Hello?"

Woohyun and Sunggyu share a quick gaze, more of a side glance on Woohyuns side because he still leans on Sunggyus shoulder and doesn't make any efforts to move that soon.

" I was told you wanted to talk."

Sunggyu once again is surprised about how easily he calms as soon as he changes into his role.

" Yes.", she answers in her always a tiny bit too stoic voice. " I don't think I can expect a name here?"

Sunggyu spares himself an answer.

" I know we talked a few times on party meetings and the demonstrations but frankly said, I wouldn't call you an acquaintance .", she just continues. " And to be honest, I'm not your biggest fan."

Sunggyu puts his hand on Woohyuns mouth, the latter close to giving her a piece of his mind. " You want to elaborate that?"

" Well. You know, Ji Seob and I have both been in the party for years. My husband is an assembly man. We have managed and planned the demonstrations for long and then you show up. Not that I have anything against the publicity. I'm sure you know about the rising voters polls.  Still, you are inexperienced and I wished you would discuss some things with us."

He wants to tell her he kind of unwillingly ended up in his position but decides that is nothing she needs to know.

" It's not my fault people like me." he answers, a certain cockiness in his voice and Woohyun can't help but to look at him in astonishment.

" Yes. Of course. But you need to realize it is always better to have the leaders on your side."

" Is that a threat?"

She slightly laughs for the first time. " No. We're still on the same time. I got sidetracked. Those were things I wanted to tell you for a long time. But it is hard to talk to you. You appear and disappear so fast and sometimes I get to read an entry on facebook and that's it. Do you know how surprised I was when I saw your videos on youtube? By the way, great performance about the military issue last week."

" Thanks."

Even Woohyun looks a bit satisfied by now, listening to how she compliments Sunggyu.

Sunggyu absentmindedly runs his fingers over his neck.

" Is that what you wanted to tell me?"

" No. As I already mentioned. I got sidetracked. There are other matters. I think your friend told you about it already.", her voice is going back to being business like. " A while ago pictures of my husband were sent to me. The same happened to Ji Seob and his daughter. I'm pretty sure you have a similar story to tell."

A quick glance at Woohyun. " Yes. But I rather won't tell you more about it. I want to keep hidden their identities."

" That is completely understandable. But I hope you also realize that we can't let things stay like that. This is a clear threat."

" We already took matters in our hands."

" And that would include what?"

" Just be sure that we took care of it."

Woohyun gives him a thumb up, showing him that he is doing well.

" Okay.", she is going with it.  "Just know that you can call me if there is something coming up. The first moment I was thinking about going to police, but you might have heard that I have just been to court. And you know as much as me that for our situation, the police might not be the best option. You need to listen to my husbands stories one day. A lot of them are corrupt as and pretty far up the presidents ."

" Do you want to go public about the threats?" Sunggyu asks.

" No. Not yet."

Her anger is almost visible all of sudden, a fact that alarms Sunggyu.

" I got someone in the Blue House."

" You got someone in the Blue House?", Sunggyu repeats. " And you're telling me that because?"

" Our dear Mr. Lee has a few skeletons in his closet."

Sunggyu knows.

He might know better than her but he can't tell her at the moment because he left without proof.

So he keeps quiet, waiting for her to continue the conversation.

" On top of that my contact told me they are planning an official visit of Choi Man Hi."

" Choi Man Hi? You're talking about the war criminal living in the USA?"

" Yes. We call him a war criminal, they call him  a national hero.", she spits out. " They will give him a huge welcome. And that time I want the threats to be a big revelation."

" Don't you think things will get out of control? People already won't like the fact that they bring Choi back. And on top of that knowing that their leaders get threatened..."

" That is what we need."

" We don't need a riot. Things got out of control enough." Sunggyu tries to argue.

" Listen to me."

He doesn't want to admit, but her authoritarian voice shuts him up.

" I'm done with this and I'm done with him. If the government won't give in soon.. we need to take more drastic measures."

A cold shiver runs down Sunggyus spine and he would have been on his legs long ago if it wasn't for Woohyun on his lap.

" What do you mean?"

" You know exactly what I mean."

" Don't you dare planning anything like that! This is not what we stand for!" he almost yells out. Woohyuns eyes widen when Sunggyus voice grows louder.

" You can't tell me that. There are a lot more law suits because of violence against you than me."

" This has nothing to d--"

" I don't care and I frankly don't have time anymore. You have my number. So contact me if there is anything you need. Bye."

With that she hangs up.

Sunggyu stares at the wall across, trying to take in what she just told him.

Only slowly he realises that Woohyun calls out his name.

" What did she say? Why are you shaking?"

" Can you...", he needs to get out for a moment. " Can you get up?"

" Gyu..."

" Just for a moment. Please."

For a moment it feels like he will get up, but then Woohyun leans back against his chest, arms crossed.
"Nope."
"Come on."
"Now chance I'm letting you get up now and then later have to worry you'll steal yourself out of the door."
"I'm not going to steal myself out of the door though…"
"And I'm not going to get up. So you better tell me now what made you freak out like this." Woohyuns voice is definite and Sunggyu gives up with a sigh. He nuzzles against Woohyuns neck, softly kissing the slightly feverish skin.

How much he loves that guy...
" Brat."
" Your favourite brat."
"I might like you…90% now."
Woohyun gasps.
"99%.", Sunggyu gives in. "If you let me take your temperature later."
They stay like that, Sunggyus arms lazily circled around Woohyuns waist. Woohyun is not pushing Jim too talk, knowing too well that Sunggyu will when he is ready.
" Seems like Bo Ah is planning something… more on the illegal side if things don't change faster."
"What do you mean? More on the illegal side?"
"Well…", Sunggyu rests his chin on Woohyuns shoulder. " I'm worried that people could get hurt."
For a moment, dread comes over him.
A sense of guilt.
If something happens… would it be his fault? Did he encourage things too much? Should he have stopped a long time ago? Would he have been able to stop anything? Are they listening to him because he tells them what they want? Will they hear him out when he goes against them?
Woohyun puts his hands over Sunggyus.
"Don't."
"What?"
Woohyun moves his finger slightly over  Sunggyus back of his hands.

" Don't ever go to meet her no matter what she is saying. Don't associate yourself with her. And....no matter what she is planning... it is not in your hands to stop it and is it certainly not your fault."
" Now that she told me there might be something in future. Don't you think I should do something?"
"You don't know . Maybe she just freaked out because your attitude wasn't what she wanted.", he coughs in between his words. " Seriously. Your involved enough. Keep being like this. stay safe and let them be. I don't think she wants to do anything either way. She has to know how ed up things would be afterwards.
" I feel like it is my duty to keep an eye on them now." Sunggyu says lowly.
"Your duty is to stay save. And to make me pizza."
Sunggyu chuckles, once more nuzzling his nose into Woohyuns neck.

 

                                                                        OoO

 

It is one of the few times Sunggyu is the one standing in the kitchen, instead of Woohyun.

Not that he is in any way lazy.

Woohyun just enjoys cooking and he hates the mess Sunggyu manages to make as soon as he turns his back to him.
Today he is the one sitting on the couch, wrapped up in two blankets, a fluffy pillow pressed to his chest.
He keeps staring at Sunggyus back, not really looking at anything else.
He got scared a moment earlier, now having the urge to keep Sunggyu in his view.
" I want ham."
He calls over to Sunggyu.
He had already told him three times. Not that Sunggyu didn't get it already.
Woohyun just needs to hear his voice.
His boyfriend has been awfully quiet the past minutes.
Sunggyu turns his head to him for a moment, nodding with a smile. He is back to his work without a word, leaving Woohyun alone with a new wave of distress.
" Are you still pondering over her words?"
He can't see if Sunggyu even heard it. He keeps working on the pizza, not wavering.

Then he puts the ingredients away and turns to him.
They stay like that for a moment, Sunggyu leaned against the counter, Woohyun kneading his pillow.
" I was a bit shocked… to say the least." He runs his hand over his face, deeply sighing.
" I'm used to a tiny part of violence as an answer to the police actions, but to think that there could be worse… and Choi Man Hi coming over."

" What is the deal with him?"

" During the Korean War he was a general in the army. Did some cruel things to the civil population and never was accused for that. Some call him a hero, but he is far from it. He went to the USA years ago and now they want to welcome him back."

" And that is a bad idea?"

Sunggyu nods slowly. " Worst idea of the year, I guess."

Woohyun notices how the thoughts keep pulling Sunggyu back in.
" Sunggyu. Sometimes it is not in your power to change things. So... just promise me you will stay away from Bo Ah."
When Sunggyu doesn't answer fast enough Woohyun repeats himself once more. " Promise me."

" Woohyun..."

" Gyu! Say it!"

A slight edge of fear in his voice, he halfway got up from the couch, the thought that Sunggyu on purpose puts himself into danger distressing him more than he thought.
"I won't. Don't be scared."
"Say that you promise!"
'Woohyun…", finally Sunggyu gets ready to come over to him. " Don't get so worked up."
He takes a seat next to Woohyun on the couch, pulling him back into a sitting position, his arms around him.
" I promise, okay. So don't worry. This was the first and the last time I'll talk to her. And I will just go to the demonstrations for the reasons we already talked about okay? I won't follow them.", he searchs for Woohyuns gaze. " Is that okay with you?"
"Yes." Woohyun answers, relaxing in Sunggyus arms. On cue, he sniffles.
Sunggyu chuckles. " Need a tissue?"
"I need a new head.", Woohyun whines, all of his weight on Sunggyu. " Make it go away."
"That is still not one of my talents but I can put that super great pizza in the oven and make you tea."
Woohyun holds on to him.
"Not yet?" Sunggyu asks.
"Not yet." Woohyun states and to his happiness Sunggyu stays on the couch with him for a bit longer, zapping through the program and not really finding anything entertaining.

                                                                       

                                                                        OOO

 

Around 7 the next morning, the knocking on the door startles Sunggyu where he is sitting on a barstool next to the counter, almost falling asleep again.

Woohyun was in a lot of pain during the night and he tried to sooth him until the early morning hours, before they finally fell asleep.
Sunggyu slowly trots over to the door.
" Hey Hoya." He tries to muster a smile when he sees his friend in front of the door.

" Ready?"
Hoya offered him to take him to university this morning.
" Yes. Give me a minute to tell Woohyun I'm leaving."
He motions for Hoya to come in.
" Still sick? He tortured me with messages yesterday. Told me I should not try to get you after he would surely die due to this cold."
Sunggyu chuckles and shakes his hand in disbelief...his boyfriend surely was a handful.
He quietly opens the door to their bedroom, making Woohyun out in the dark under at least two blankets.
The lump on the bed groans.
"Sorry.", Sunggyu whispers, walking over to the bed and softly running his hand through Woohyuns hair. " I just wanted to tell you I'm leaving now. Hoya just came."
"Hmmm." Woohyun groans.
He reaches out for Sunggyu with both arms and Sunggyu sits down on the mattress for a second, close enough so Woohyun can embrace him.
" Sleep. Dongwoo will come over later to check on you and I'll be back in the evening. Did you text your father you won't come in?"
Woohyun nods, eyes still closed and only reluctantly loosing his grip around Sunggyu.
"And… your mother took care of things? Someone is keeping an eye on us?"
He nods once again and Sunggyu slowly pries his hands of. He presses a kiss to Woohyuns still slightly warm forehead and with that leaves the room.
" Sick Woohyun isn't a nice Woohyun." Hoya remarks when they leave the room together.
"It is not that bad. I expected worse. He forced me to make him pizza but that was it all in all."
" Another reason I love the fact he has a boyfriend. I don't have to play the nurse for him."
They leave the building, a light conversation between them, and enter Hoyas car.
Sunggyu gets into the passenger seat. He feels something under his shoe and raises an accusing eyebrow when he holds up a shirt with two fingers.
"What is Dongwoos shirt doing in the foot well of your car?"
Hoya slight coughs while he drives the car on the street. " He…left it there."
"And why did he take it of in the beginning?" Sunggyu probes.
" Because it was in the way?"
"Of what?"
Oh how much he enjoys how nervous Hoya gets in his seat.

" Come one, Sunggyu.", he finally bursts out, an almost whiny tone in his voice. " Do you really have to play bad cop! You know what happened!"
Sunggyu scrunches up his nose. "You trying to tell me I'm sitting on the seat my friend got laid on?"
"No!"
Sunggyus small eyes narrow at him.
"He got laid… just a bit."
" A bit?"
Hoya stops the car at the red light giving Sunggyu a look and the latter, himself the master of glares, lifts his hands in defence. " No need to kill me."
"You're shutting your mouth for now."
"Yeah…. Just be aware Woohyun will call later after I told him."
"I hate you."
"Me too~"
It is then when someone calls Sunggyu on his mobile. He checks the caller ID and sees Sungjongs name.
"Hey." He answers the call.
"Hyung. It's me. Sorry for calling so early. I tried to reach Woohyun when I remembered he won't come to work today and is most probably sick in bed."
Something in Sungjongs voice alarms Sunggyu.
" You okay?"
"Yes. Kind of. But there is something... I had to call you about."  he says something more but background noises drown his words.

"What did you say?"
"I'm at Hoyas bar. I wanted to bring something over but… there is something you should see."

 

                                                                       OOO
 

 

They stare at the graffiti on the huge window in silence. Hoyas face getting darker by the second, Sungjongs helplessly looking from one to the other and Sunggyu… well Sunggyu is so far away with his thoughts he is only realising a few seconds later that Hoya finally explodes.
" Bastards." He steps over to the window, pulling away the picture of Sunggyu on a demonstration. There is a huge red circle with a cross inside around it, directly over his face.
" I'm sorry for not calling you first, Hoya.", Sungjongs tells the older softly. " But that picture… it was clearly a new attempt against Sunggyu so I thought about telling him first."
"That's the last thing I care about at the moment." Hoya glares at the picture in his hands, before he crumples it and throws it away.
Sunggyu feels only the worse after seeing that.
Hoya has every right to be angry at him.
He is the victim for something he didn't even start.
"Should we call the police?" Sungjong asks into the silence.
Hoya shakes his head. " No. We can't… we would have to explain things. Just… leave it like that. I'm not going to open the bar today either way. I will get rid of it tomorrow."
"Hoya..." Sunggyu slowly starts.
" Don't Sunggyu..it is not your fault…", Hoya smiles at him, his inner tumult painfully noticeable. " Just make sure you stay safe. And Woohyun."
"But…"
"You have classes. Let's hurry up or you'll be too late."

 

                                                                       OOO

 

Sunggyu steels himself out of their apartment late at night after making sure that Woohyun is fast asleep.
He has some cleaning utensils in his back and is determined to help Hoya out.
It is stupid, and he knows it.
But he… honestly spoken can't endure his bad conscience anymore. This wasn't what should have happened and on top of that lying to Woohyun didn't make things better.

Woohyun doesn't have to know. He is on the edge more than enough lately.
Sunggyu needs to do at least one thing.
He takes a taxi that  brings him to Hoyas bar in only a short amount of time.
Thankfully the painted window goes out to a quiet street so no one sees when he starts to get out his cleaning supplies and starts to clean the window, his thoughts all the time a huge mess.
There are ideas in his mind that start to scare him.
Thoughts about… leaving Woohyun.

Just for a while because as things stand now he is sure just not showing up at demonstrations anymore wouldn't make whoever is after him stop.
Maybe staying away until Choi Man His visit is over. Once more making his point clear with a lot of public attention and then making official that he won't show up anymore. That should be enough to free them from this.

And it wouldn't be too long until then.
Woohyun would understand.
It is not a break up.
Just a physical separation for his sake.
He is too sunken in his thoughts.
He should have heard the sounds behind him, the drunken guy doesn't even try to tone it down.
Only a clicking sound pulls Sunggyu out of his thoughts.
He doesn't want to turn around.
Not at all.
Something makes his flesh claw and every fibre of his body yells at him to run away.
Still, he just let's the sponge fall the ground and slowly turns around, staring directly into the barrel of a weapon.