Chapter 8: Studying

She and I

I sit hunched over my desk, the lamp too bright and my eyes watering as I try to commit so many biological terms to memory. My hand is cramping up from writing answers to practice questions, and I drop my pen as raise my hand to rub at my aching back. I swear, I’m getting old before my time. I have such a bad back, I’ll probably need an operation by the time I’m 30. 

 

A new text message lights up the screen of my phone. I know, studying with a phone, not the best idea, right? But I need a distraction, even if we do have an exam tomorrow. Still, I open it with some trepidation, expecting it to be from Wonwoo. 

 

It’s not. Immediately a grin spreads over my face as I read ‘Your most awesomest friend Mina ♥’ in the from ‘from’ box. The message is short: 

 

Still studying? 

 

I quickly text back an answer.

 

I lay my phone back down and try to get back to my work, but I can’t help but check it compulsively every ten seconds until I get a reply.

 

Aw…want me to come over and help? 

 

The second I receive it, I bolt out of my seat, and run to my mirror to run a brush through my hair. Hairbrush in one hand, phone in the other, I text back: 

 

Oh my gosh that would be just…so incredible. Please do :) 

 

While I’m waiting for a response, I put on a light covering of tinted moisturiser and dab some concealer under my eyes. It’s been a long week and I look kind of tired. I’ve finished curling my eyelashes and am putting on a coat of mascara when the screen lights up again. 

 

On my way. See you soon! 

 

Attempting to text, I end up jabbing myself in the eye with my mascara wand and spend a full five minutes cleaning up my watering eye. I then dab some lip balm with the color, flavor and scent of ‘strawberry’ on my lips, and smile at my reflection in the mirror. I’m about to call to my mom that Mina will be coming over when I suddenly think to check the time. 

 

It’s 11.20pm. 

Just... wow. Mina is walking over to my house at 11.20 to help me study?? Wonwoo used to – still does, I guess – help me study. But that was always after school, and I bet he’d never come around after 10pm unless there was something else in it for him.

 

Mom goes to bed kind of early, and it’s not like she’d let me have a friend randomly show up on our doorstep at this time anyway, so I figure it’s best to say nothing. I text Mina back, saying thanks and telling her what a wonderful person she is, and warning her not to get mugged on the way here – and then sit back down at my desk, my foot tapping as I wait.

 

When I get a text from her twenty minutes later telling me that she’s here, I go to let her in the front door. She hurries in, a grin on her face, snow in her hair, and her lips and cheeks red – looking a little like the way I did on Monday with Wonwoo, in fact. 

"God it’s cold out," she says, shaking the snow off her boots. 

"Come into my room," I say. "I’ve got the heater going."

 

"Woah," she says when she steps through my bedroom door. "That light is blinding."

"I had to keep awake," I say as explanation. 

"Well, I’m here now, so you can turn it down," she says, reaching for the switch of the lamp on my bedside table. It lights up, emitting and orange glow. "Much better," she says, walking over to turn off the lamp on my desk. 

"By the way, my mom doesn’t know I have anyone over, so we have to keep it down, alright?"

She grins. "My mom doesn’t even know I’ve left the house."

I laugh, and she says, ''So, bio?'' 

We sit down at my little desk together and start revising. 

 

Finally, Mina stretches. "I’m done," she confesses. "Could fall asleep right here." 

I shut my books. "Thank you so much. For the first time in my life, I actually feel good about going into an exam." 

She smiles, and I smile back, looking at her, my head resting on my hand. 

 

I suddenly realize what a perfect moment this would be to kiss her. We’ve been sitting, side my side, occasionally bumping hands for the past hour and a half while she's coached me through me though a subject. I'ts late, and cold out, but warm in here, and the room is li up with an orange glow. Her normally brown eyes look deep and dark, and she smells of a mixture of cinnamon and cherry blossm, a mixture of winter and spring.

 

The only thing that stops me is that I have no idea how she’d react. 

 

Instead, I say, "It’s nearly 2am. You can’t go back out in that weather. Spend the night here."

She hesitates for a moment. "If my mom thinks to check my room before she leaves for work, she’ll spaz. My dad won’t mind though, although he probably wouldn’t check my room anyway. He’ll be down in the garage painting the second the sun rises," she says a little bitterly. 

"Stay here," I say again. "If your mom gets mad at you, you have the perfect excuse. You were helping me study and then the weather got too bad for you to come home."

She grins, "Perfect, apart from the fact that I didn’t ask before I left. But eh. I’d love to stay, thanks." I smile. This is great. 

 

When I woke up the next morning, the wind howling and rain pelting down, there’s a note on the pillow beside me. 

Had to leave to get back home before mom wakes. Took your rain jacket, I hope you don’t mind. Thanks again for letting me sleep over :) 

 

Even though I completely understand why she had to go home, I still crumple up the note. I wanted to wake to her sleeping softly beside me, not one half of the bed empty and cold. Ah, well. I guess I should get ready for school. It’s Friday, the last day of the week, and I have nothing planned for after school. That’s how great my social life is. 

 

But then I think to check my phone. 

 

From: Your most awesomest friend Mina ♥

Btw, I forgot to ask: Want to come to a party at my friend’s house tonight?