Chapter 7: Dinner with Wonwoo

She and I

Another school day, another five days ahead until the weekend. I’m pushing my way through the crowded corridor when I hear someone call, "Momo!"

I swivel around, nearly losing my balance in the overcrowded place, and fall into the arms of Wonwoo. 

"Lucky I was there to catch you," he teases gently, standing me upright. 

"Yeah, well, if you hadn’t been there I wouldn’t have been distracted by you calling me and lost my footing in the first place," I retort back with a laugh. 

He just smiles, and says, clearly more interested to discuss other stuff, "How’s it going? I haven’t seen you all weekend. Is your phone fixed yet?"

"Yeah, my phone’s fixed," I say, figuring I can’t keep up the lie forever. 

"Great," he says, falling into step beside me. "So, what did you do over the weekend?"

I keep a straight face. "Had a sleepover with Mina," I say casually. 

"Oh," he says. "Well. Maybe I could take you out to dinner sometime? Or," he says with a wink, "You could come sleep over with me." 

I feel horrid. I feel like I’m lying to Wonwoo – not just about the phone, but about my actual feelings for him. But the thing is, when I’m not with him it’s easy to believe I no longer care about him the way I used to. But when I’m actually talking to him, seeing his easy grin and tousled hair... even when he gets a little jealous and wants me all to himself, it still makes me feel special.

I don’t know why I agree, but I say, "Yeah, dinner with you would be nice." Maybe it’s the churning guilt in my stomach that makes me agree. Or maybe it’s the hope that I’ll fall harder for him and forget Mina... because I loved thinking of her as simply a friend, and it seems pointless to feel pain when it’s not like she’ll ever think of me in that way, right? And then there’s the suspicion that what I’m feeling is just infatuation, a quick crush on Mina that will pass... and the conflicting desire that it won’t. Gah . . . this is all too complicated. And so I simply agree. 

We go off to have lunch together with my group of friends. "Hey," Sana says when she sees me. "You’re looking good today. Nice clothes, hair and makeup. Going somewhere with Wonwoo after school?"

I glance at him and he pulls me closer, kissing me on my temple. "She always looks beautiful," he says. "And yes, I’ll be taking her out to dinner tonight."

I never agreed to it being tonight... but I smile like I’m happy about it anyway. Sana says something about how cute we are but I zone it out as I cast my gaze around, trying to locate Mina in the lunch hall. I don’t have bio today and that’s the only class I share with her, but I’d still like to see her and just chat. But either my eyesight isn’t good enough or she doesn’t eat lunch in here, because I don’t catch even a glimpse of her. 

 

Later that evening, Wonwoo grips my hand tightly as we cross the road together. I sat through two hours of watching Wonwoo train with his football team this afternoon and it’s now 5.30.

"Cold?" He asks as I shiver slightly when snow begins to fall. I nod, and he drapes his coat over me, putting his arm around my waist. And that’s how we enter the small French restaurant; in each other’s arms, flecks of snow in our hair, and our lips and cheeks red from the cold. 

"Ah, young love!" The waiter says merrily when he sees us, leading us over to a small candlelit table. "You sit here, oui? Please, take your time to read the menu, I will be back when you are ready to order."

We nod and smile our thanks. I pick up the menu, but instead of reading it, I glance out the window at the falling snow, remembering the snowball fight I had with Mina two days ago. 

I jump as I feel something touch my hand, and glancing down, realize that it’s Wonwoo. He laughs. "Why so edgy?" 

I shrug. "I was just a little lost in my own world, look at the snow."

He smiled, staring into my eyes and playing with my hand in his. "You're stunning, Momo-ya. Not just the way you look. The way you think too."

I smiled weakly and a little awkwardly. "Thanks," I murmured, turning my gaze down, then look back up to meet his eyes, my own ones glinting a little. "You're not too bad yourself." I tease.

He laughs, and it breaks the tension inside of me. Together we giggle over the menu, sounding out the French names and recounting our memories of times we've spent together and our own plans for the future.

 

Although there is one thing I noticed. None of my plans include him.

 

After dessert, which Wonwoo insisted on spoon-feeding a few mouthfuls to me, we step back outside. He leans me over to the corner of a wall were the light of the streetlamps doesn't quite reach and kisses me, tasting of chocolate, his hands on the back of my neck warm in contrast with the snow that dots my forehead. I'ts a romantic moment, to be sure.

 

But I can't help the image that forms in my mind, even though I try to supress it: What would it be like to kiss Mina? Her lips are full and I can tell they would be soft, unlike Wonwoo's which are thin and a little weathered from playing football in the wind. In my dreams, would I be kissing her, or her kissing me? It’s always Wonwoo who kisses me, always me with my back against the wall, and I can’t help but wonder what it would be like the other way round.

 

Of course, I don’t realize that I’ll get the chance to find out that very week.