Chapter 13: A date

She and I

I stand in front of my mirror, twirling my hair around my fingers and biting my lip nervously. I’m wearing eyeliner and mascara, and a touch of lipstain and blush. Do I look ok? I remember the first time I ran into Mina, she said she remembered me because of my great fashion sense. I’m wearing brown lace up boots that leave my legs bare. It will be cold tonight, but it looks so great it’s worth it. My dress is a cream color with a lace back. Again, its impractical for the weather, but it feels nice to dress up. The dress is pretty girly, but I’ve balanced it out with a khaki‐colored jacket which should also help to keep off the cold. I’ve braided the front section of my hair and pinned it back. I practice a smile. Yes, tonight will be good. 

 

Mina gives me a quick hug when she turns up outside my door. "You look gorgeous," she says. I feel the warmth of her breath on the back of my neck.

I smile, resting my head on her shoulder until she lets me go. ''And you look stunning." 

After I shout goodbye to my mom, we head down the path towards her car. There’s a puddle of melted ice in the middle of the road, and she’s not wearing boots like me, so laughing, I hoist her up onto my back and piggyback her across the road. The sound of her laughter alone is enough to make my night. 

I climb into the passenger seat. 

"Ready?" She asks me.

"Yep." I say, running my hands over the cracking leather of the car seat. She switches on the radio and begins backing out of the car park.

 

We have so many weird conversations on the way to the movies. We don’t debate what fruit are the most ual, that’s for sure, but we cover everything from discussing seriously what animals would make the best world leaders to giggling over the things we used to do when we were younger and thought were so cool. Mina has a manual, so she lets me change the gears. By the time we reach where we’re headed, she’s flashed her dazzling smile at me so many times that I’m feeling on top of the world. Nearly every conversation I have with Mina is about an awkward topic, but never once do I feel awkward talking about it. 

 

"Two students to see Say Anything," Mina says. "And a large popcorn. And two Pepsis. Thanks." The attendant glances at us, but says nothing, simply handing what we request over with a smile. This place plays all the old movies, and Say Anything is one of those great 1980s romances. It’s not what you’d normally do for a date, but I love it. It suits the drive‐in movie theatre thing perfectly

 

Mina parks us towards the back of the place, behind most of the other cars. We’re just in time, because it’s just starting up on the huge screen. Mina climbs onto my seat, pulling a blanket from the back seat with her. I giggle, squished up against her, as we’re both on one seat. She pulls the blanket up over us, grabs the popcorn and drinks, and we settle down to watch the movie together.

 

"Hey, Momo," I hear. I turn away from the screen, and see Mina holding the last piece of popcorn in her fingers. "You want it?" she asks a little teasingly. 

I smile. "Thanks," I say, reaching for it with my mouth. My lips are about to close around it when she whips it away and pops it into , grinning.

"Admit it. I’ll always win when it comes to food related competitions."

"Pfft, not likely," I say, leaning forward and kissing her on the lips, getting a taste of the buttery, salty popcorn. She kisses me back, my head against the glass window pane. Overhead, the two main characters in the movie kiss as well, but I didn't notice, my attention focussed solely on Mina.

I never used to think I might be bi. But sometimes you just meet someone, sometimes things happen in your life that completely change the way you look at the world. And I can tell you, it’s best to just go with them when they do. Outside the snow is falling softly, but Mina and I just sit in each other’s arms, watching the credits roll by. I love the feeling of Mina’s bare legs against mine. At last Mina shakes herself and says, "We should probably be getting back." I check the time. 9:42.

"Yeah," I agree a little disappointedly. I want to stay like this forever. 

 

On the way back, Mina suddenly pulls over. "What are you doing?" I ask, confused.

She opens the car door. "I could swear I saw the lights of a police car in the rear view mirror," she says. "We should get out. We’re driving without lights, so they probably haven’t noticed us, they were quite far behind. And it’s unlikely that we’ll be in trouble if we’re noticed anyway. But I’d prefer not to take the chance."

I break out in a cold sweat. I’ve never been in trouble with the law before. Never done anything with Wonwoo that could get me in trouble. If mom finds out, she’ll kill me – and then kill Mina. 

We get out of the car, and I suddenly realize where we are – right outside the park where Mina and I went after getting coffee that first day.

"C’mon," Mina says, grabbing my hand and pulling me over the park fence. The car looks like it’s just been parked on the side of the road – which it has, I guess. 

 

We crouch down below the fence. I watch as the police car speeds past, slowing down to peer into the windows of Mina’s car – and seeing no one inside, picks up the pace and drives on. I breathe out slowly. Nothing to it. Of course, I didn’t know that we wouldn’t always be so lucky. 

 

Movement from Mina captures my attention, and I look down to see her writing in the snow. Mina + Momo. She’s drawing a heart around the words. I nudge her gently, letting her know I’m watching. She smiles and looks up at me.

"Like it?"

"Yeah," I say. Those little words. Written in snow, they’ll be covered or swept away by next morning. But they mean a lot to me.