Chapter 6: The Sleepover Final

She and I

We decide to put on a horror movie. We make some popcorn in the microwave, grab a bag of lollies, and sit down in front of the screen, pulling a blanket up over us. 

 

Mina digs her cold feet under my legs. "You’re warm," she says. I roll my eyes. "You could just put some socks on." But I don’t make her move. I kind of like her closeness. 

 

I observe her as she watches the movie. I feel like I should pull my eyes away and focus them on the screen, feel like I’m invading her privacy a bit, but I can’t tear my gaze away. The way her eyes crinkle up when she laughs, the way is frozen in an ‘o’ shape when the movie has her hooked. 

 

It’s while I’m staring at her that she suddenly shrieks and dives under the blanket, grabbing my arm. 

I immediately glance to the screen, and see that the murderer has just emerged from behind a tree. 

"" Mina says, poking her head out from under the blanket. "You didn’t even jump?"

I can’t exactly tell her that I was watching her instead of the movie. "Uh, no," I say awkwardly, resolving to watch the movie from now on. If she catches me staring at her she’ll think I’m some kind of stalker. I mean, I’ve only known her for two days. 

 

It’s in the closing scene that it happens. The girl is finally safe in a psychiatric ward. But then the phone starts ringing. And ringing. Finally she can’t stand it and just as she’s about to reach for it . . . the guy appears around the side of the door, his hands snaking towards her and gripping her in a deathlock. Mina and I both scream and bury our heads under the covers. 

"Oh. My. God." Mina says, her eyes locked on mine. "I am going to have so many nightmares tonight." 

She’s breathing heavily, her cheeks flushed, eyes sparkling, and hands propping up the blanket over her head. And I suddenly realize what I’m thinking. 

 

This girl is ing gorgeous. 

 

I clap my hand over my mouth. Mina tilts her head up quizzically. "What was that about?"

I thought I’d said it out loud. 

I mentally scold myself. What the hell are you thinking? You’ve only known her for two days. This girl is your friend, she doesn’t want to be anything more. And, you have a boyfriend. How would you feel if he was thinking about some other girl like this?

"Um," I say. Yeah, great word choice, Momo. You could have said anything, and you come out with um. "Nothing." I say, forcing a smile and praying that she’ll drop it. 

After a few seconds she shrugs and says, "Ok," but is still looking at me weirdly. "Want to put on another movie?" She asks. 

"Yeah," I agree gratefully. Anything that doesn’t involve talking. I don’t trust myself to speak right now. Over the past 40 hours I thought I’d lost some of my awkwardness, thought I’d become a little more spontaneous around Mina. Now I can feel it flooding back. 

 

 

 

We doze off sometime around 4am. I wake at 11 the next morning, light streaming in through the window and the bed next to mine empty.

"Oh, you’re awake."

I shift my view and see Mina standing above me with two mugs. 

"It’s just espresso," she says apologetically, crouching down to hand one to me. 

"No worries," I say. 

I hear the tapping of high heels, and a woman walks into the room. "Mina, have you seen my purse?" she asks hurriedly, as if she has little time to spare.

"No, mom," Mina says calmly, and the woman looks over at us. 

"Oh," she says. Am I imagining it, or does distaste flicker over her face? 

"You must be one of Mina’s friends," she says. 

I stand up. "Yes ma’am. I’m Momo." 

"Nice to meet you," she says cordially, but quickly turns her attention to Mina. "I don’t know how many times I’ve told you, but put some more clothes on. Those pajama bottoms aren’t at all suitable when we have guests over." Mina subtly rolls her eyes. "Alright."

Her mother checks the time. "Oh no, I can’t be late. It’s one of the most important meetings."

Try to do so in a way that won't attract attention, I stretch my arms back, and my back clicks painfully. Loudly, too, because Mina says, "Ouch. That must have hurt."

I rub it ruefully. "You bet it did. Does."

Her mom is already heading out the door, but turns around when Mina says, "Hang on. Let’s get some breakfast, and then I can give you a back massage."

She looks like she’s about to say anything, but then sets her lips in a fine line and says, "I’ll be back later, sweetie."

"Yeah, bye." Mina says indifferently. The door bangs shut. 

We make eye contact for a few seconds and then I say, "I thought you said your mom loves to meet your friends." 

Mina shrugs awkwardly. I decide to let it go, even though I’m so confused about the way her mom was behaving. 

"Let’s make some breakfast, huh? I’m starving!"

She agrees quickly and eagerly. A little too eagerly, like she doesn't want me thinking about what just happened.