Chapter 20: A Midnight Swim

She and I

MINA'S POV (just this once)

 

It’s getting near midnight, the flames in the bonfire dying down, the last of the smoke curling upwards. Momo sits in my lap, both of us, I think, a little tired, content, and just relaxed. I entwine my fingers in hers. It’s something I love about her, her long, slender fingers. And then there’s her laugh. Not when she giggles. When she full-on-belly-laughs. It’s not what you’d call cute, or what most people would call attractive, but I do. Because it’s so real. And I’ve learnt to value real people in my life.

I can feel that itching feeling to do something rising up in me. I wish it was summer, when the days are long and free, when we can run around in bare feet, hell, even the sticky tar on the baking roads burning the bottom of my feet – I even like that. Even the painfully burnt, flaking skin – it’s all part of summer.

 

"Hey guys!" I turn my head, and see Dahyun has sat up. One of my best friends, she has nearly as much energy as me. "We should go swimming!" Taehyung has a heated swimming pool and spa. I immediately fall in love with the idea.

"Yes!" I say, sitting up straighter. "Momo? What do you say?"

She smiles. "I’d love to, but I have nothing to wear."

I shrug emphatically. "Same for all of us. In your clothes, underwear, or," I tease gently, "entirely , it’s up to you."

She blushes, and bites her lips anxiously, so clearly turning over the possibly consequences in her mind.

"C’mon," I entreat.

She lets out a sigh. "Fine," she says, the corners of turning up ruefully. "The things I do for you."

She has said that once before, when I dared her to go up to a little girl and pretend she was her, but from the future. And that turned out pretty well, so who’s to say this won’t?

I grin excitedly. "Awesome!" I quickly wriggle out from underneath her.

"Where are y- " she breaks off when I scoop her up into the air, and run as best I can with her in my arms, over to Taehyung's pool.

"Deep breath," I warn, a split second before I launch us into the pool together. It’s a quick, exhilarating drop, and then we’re smashing into the cold water and sinking under, entangled in each other’s arms. We fall away from each other, and swim quickly upwards, bursting out of the water almost simultaneously, gasping for air.

I look at Momo’s face. It’s radiant, beautiful, water droplets running down it, her dark, silky hair smoothed away from her face, drawing in deep breaths.

"Jesus Christ, Mina!" she bursts out, but she can’t hold in her brilliant smile for long, and she lets out the belly laugh I love. Over by the bonfire, our other friends join in.

"Your face!" they laugh with Momo. "When she picked you up. You were totally shocked."

 

We swim over to the side. She climbs out of the water first, up the ladder, and then I follow her. We stand on the path, shivering. "Spa pool, I think," I say.

"Hang on," Momo says. "We want to give our clothes time to dry. Let’s lay them out in front of the fire."

 

We quickly strip down to our underwear. Taehyung, Dahyun, Seulgi, Yeri, Jungkook and Jimin do too, and soon we’re all standing in our bras and . "You guys have gotta jump in the pool," I say. "Not fair otherwise."

They agree, a little reluctantly. After watching them jump in, squealing at the cold, I turn to Momo. "May I pick you up again?" I wink.

She rolls her eyes. "If you must," she says, but with a smile.

I gently scoop up her body, holding her smooth legs over one arm and supporting her bare, goose-bump-covered back in my other. I have to glance away from her to steady myself. She’s just – I’m at a loss for words. She’s ing gorgeous. Stunning.

 

I walk more slowly this time, gently setting her down in Taehyung’s spa pool, before hopping over the side to join her, my leg gently nudging hers. She reaches for my hand under the water, brushing at my hip, and then surprises me by leaning forwards and kissing me. I kiss her back, deeply, pulling her legs over mine and bringing her closer. The warm water, the feel of her body so close to mine, it brings a lump to my throat. I –

"Hey, get a room, guys!" The mischievous call comes amid a flurry of giggles from our friends. I sense that Momo is feeling a little awkward, so I swivel around and stick up my third finger, before grabbing Momo’s face and kissing her, hard. I can tell she’s surprised, but she doesn’t pull away. The laughter only loudens, good naturedly.

 

Suddenly Momo lets out an exclamation. ‘What’s the time?’ And I remember. She has a curfew of ten on weeknights or in town, and a curfew of twelve if it’s a weekend and she’s at a friend’s. That’s actually really decent, pretty good of her mom. But that doesn’t change the fact that she’s definitely broken it.

I get out of the spa pool and sprint lightly through the cool air to my bag, and rummage inside it for my phone. The screen lights up. 12.43. Crap. The only good thing is that Taehyung lives just a couple of houses down the road from Momo’s place.

 

We throw on our still sopping clothes, say a hasty goodbye, and then head out onto the dark street, running down the footpath. I stand beside her as she inserts the key into the lock – only to have the door swing open before she’s turned the handle.

Her mom stands behind the door. I actually like her, think she’s pretty cool – we got on pretty well when I first met her. I know she doesn’t mind that Momo is bi – or at least, she’s trying hard not to. She’s just a little firm on rules being followed, because as she says, she doesn’t set particularly strict ones.

"Momo," she says. Her eyes travel up and down her daughter, taking in, no doubt, her soaked state. I twist my hands nervously. "Why are you – oh, never mind. I have some news you need to hear."

She glances over at me. "You’re wet too. What on earth have you two been doing? No, don’t answer me now. I’ll talk to you later Mina, this time isn’t at all acceptable to bring my daughter home. In the meantime, you can wait inside, while I speak to Momo, so that you don’t catch your death of cold standing outside."

I’m unable to stop my mouth quirking up at the words ‘this time isn’t at all acceptable to bring my daughter home.’ It’s like she views me as Momo’s boyfriend, taking her out, while in reality, we both kinda take each other out. But I can she’s not in the mood to have this pointed out to her.

 

I wait in the hall, trying not to drip on the floor too much. Twelve minutes later, the lounge door opens and Momo steps out. Her face looks shellshocked.

 

 


 

 

Cliffhanger again :(

Sorry for the very late update tho.

Just busy :) Anyways just wait for the next update <3