Chapter 2: Getting Coffee

She and I

After the first fun bio class in months, as I’m stashing my books back into my bag, Mina says, "hey, do you want to hang out after school? We could go get a coffee or something."

I smile. So she hasn’t been finding me boring or anything. "I’d love to. Meet at the lockers after school finishes?"

"Yep," she says. "Oh, I’ve got to run. If I’m late for another English class the teacher said I’d get detention. See you!"

"Later!" I call after her, shaking my head and smiling at her boundless energy. I’d love to be one of her friends. 

I pull my bag over my shoulder and head out of the lab. Time for art. 

 

After school, I lean against the lockers, waiting for Mina. She comes up a minute later, and breaks into a smile when she sees me. 

"Hey! How’s it going?"

"Not bad at all," I say. "Dead tired though. Could really do with that coffee."

She laughs. "We better get going then!" 

 

 

We run through the rain to Starbucks, giggling the whole time. When we finally get into the thankfully warm building, she orders a café mocha and I get a cappuccino. We take them to a table and sit down.

Mina has just said something really funny that makes me snort into my coffee in a very unladylike way when I hear someone say behind me in an upset voice, "Momo. What’s going on?"

I recognize Wonwoo's voice, of course. And I instantly remember. He asked me to go get a coffee with him this morning, and I didn’t reply. And now he finds me here. Crap

"Uh," I say, my brain quickly going through a hundred possible replies. "What do you mean?"

"I mean," he says in a troubled voice, "I asked you get a coffee with me this morning. You didn’t reply. And passing through here, what do I find you doing? Getting a coffee, but not with me." 

"Whoa, chill," I say. "First things first, my phone has been out of battery since yesterday evening." Lie number one. "I’m really sorry, I didn’t know, I can’t find my charger," I continue. "And, what do you mean by but not with me? It’s not like I’m with another guy or something, or bi," I say with a laugh. And although I don’t know it yet, that’s lie number two. 

 

He relaxes a little, and gives me a peck on the cheek. "I’m sorry babe, I’ve had a long day."

"It’s ok," I mumble, feeling a little guilty. 

He turns to Mina. "Hey, I’m Wonwoo, Momo’s boyfriend. Are you one of her friends? I don’t think we’ve met."

She gives him a tight smile. "I’m Mina. I’ve just gotten to know Momo today."

He smiles, but it looks a little faked to me. "Well, that’s awesome. But if you girls'll excuse me, I think I might get home. Like I said, I’ve had a long day."

"You ok?" I ask, a little concerned. 

"Yeah, coach is just working me hard," he grimaces. "Nothing to worry about."

"Alright then," I say. "Have a good night. Maybe we can go get coffee tomorrow?"

He shakes his head. "I’ve got training."

"Oh, yeah." I’d forgotten about that. 

"Maybe some other time, though," he says. 

"Yeah," I say. "Anyway, see you."

He gives me a quick hug, nods to Mina, and then walks off. 

 

I sigh. I had just been having the time of my life, laughing and giggling, but now I’m feeling all deflated. And Mina looks a little upset too. She takes a few mouthfuls of her drink, not meeting my eyes. 

"Are you alright?" I ask. 

She smiles "Yeah. I just don't think that me and Wonwoo are going to get on too well."

I shrug. "He's a little protective, that's all."

She doesn't reply, and so I say, "C’mon, what was it you were saying while we were running over here? We should just go have fun doing random stuff."

Against her will, it seems, the corners of curve up. "When you chased after me before bio today, I knew we’d end up being really close. You’re like me. Willing to try new stuff. Wanting to live life to its fullest." 

That doesn’t sound like me. I don’t like being the centre of attention, and doing stuff like that usually puts you there. 

"I’m not so sure I’m like that," I say doubtfully. 

She gives me a knowing smile. "Oh, you are. You just haven’t discovered it yet."

I shrug, not certain what to say, and after staring at me for a second, she grins, and grabs my hand. "You’re right. We should go have fun."

 

She pulls me up out of my seat and drags me out the doors. When we’re outside in the rain, she’s still holding my hand. Now that she’s no longer taking me anywhere, it feels a little awkward. Not letting go of my hand, she tilts her head up to the rain and just lets it run down her face. Any other girl would shy away from getting her makeup ruined, but not her. I watch her, smiling slightly, as she opens and sticks out her tongue, catching droplets. Finally she turns and looks back at me, grinning. I feel her slide her fingers away from mine in a quick action as she raises her hand to push her sopping hair away from her face. "Love the rain," she says as an explanation. "Anyway, let’s go." 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note:

 

Omyfreakinggoodnes. This was really Lol. I just thought about this kind of plot so why not give it a try >.<  The chapters was shorter >.<  I'm really sorry! I'm trying my best to write a new fanfic and it ended up this bad D: I'm not really good at this kind of stuff Lol. But I'll try my best D: I'm really stressed up right now diqdmasdmq. See you in the next chapter *cries in korean.*

Or should I just delete this story and make another one? D: But it would take me some time though >.<