Change

Forever, We Are Young

 

Jungkook and his new roommate entered the busy, packed cafeteria. Jimin spotted Hoseok, his best friend at their usual table and made his way towards him, Jungkook trailing awkwardly behind him.

"PARK JIMIN!" Hoseok hollered from the other side of the lunch hall causing Seokjin, a handsome fourth year who was sat opposite him to shake his head disapprovingly. Next to Seokjin was a calm looking blond haired second year called Namjoon.

The two had been dating for half a year now and seemed to balance out each other's weaknesses. In other words, Jin was the the mother hen of the group whereas Namjoon's popular nickname was 'The God Of Destruction'. Everything he touched, or so much as brushed against, somehow ended up broken. It wasn't as if he actively tried to break things, it just happened. They had all learnt their lesson after at least one of their things was destroyed and now, everyone knew to keep their stuff away from him. 

"Hey guys, this is my new roommate Jeon Jungkook. Like me, he's also from the best city in the world so treat him well," he gestured to the younger, with a proud grin, who had suddenly turned bashful in front of the other guys in the group - greeting them while staring at his shoes in fascination, words coming out as mumbles. 

"Aww, you're so shy. What are you taking? How are you liking the campus so far? Busan's a long way from here, are you missing home yet?" Seokjin fired off rapidly, hoping that the younger was enjoying his time in Seoul so far and that he was settling in nicely. He felt like, as a fourth year, it was his duty to look after those younger than him.

"Hyung, stop mothering him. It's only been two minutes. Besides, soon enough these two monsters will beat the shyness out of him" he pointed accusingly at the mischievous pair or friends before continuing "Remember how innocent and sweet Jiminnie used to be before he was robbed from us. He used to get us all drinks and call us 'Hyung-nims'. Nowadays..." he finished with a heavy sigh and shake of the head.

"Hey," Jimin protested, "Don't listen to him, I wasn't that bad. Besides, that was last year and it was my first time being around so many people, I didn't know how to act. And it only took two weeks for me to realise how evil you truly are, you tyrant."

Namjoon laughed and gestured for Jungkook to sit next to him before replying, "I'm not evil, the true evil is Min Yoongi-" he managed to get through before Seokjin kicked him in the shin. Hard.

Jungkook saw Jimin pale and noticed that the table went silent all of a sudden. Hoseok coughed before attempting to reduce the tension "Oh guys, guess what? My new roommate is so cool! I can't wait for you to meet him. At first I was kinda anxious about the whole sharing thing but I'm glad it was all for nothing."

They all smiled widely, relieved for Hoseok who although was a social butterfly, found it very difficult to share living space with another person. It was Namjoon who answered "Can't wait to meet this kid, he must be something if he was deemed suitable enough as a roommate. Hey, Jungkook, hope to see you more often now okay. Get ready to eat sand paper for the next four years but otherwise, welcome to the gang. If these two become too much you know who to come to," he winked slyly before the other two began protesting vehemently.

The atmosphere between them is nice, he thought. All four of them bought something interesting and unique to the group. Noticing how well he was welcomed, Jungkook felt some of the concerns he'd had regarding friendship ease away and mentally relaxed for the first time since entering the university. He couldn't wait to tell Taehyung about his new experiences.

A few days later, Hoseok introduced Taehyung to the group and he became a hit with Jimin and Namjoon. It already felt like the four of them had known each other for years. Jungkook ended up joining the dance club, something that he enjoyed a lot especially since a lot of the time Jimin and Hoseok and him ended up memorising the choreography of EXID, Apink, SNSD and various other girl group dances they found they all liked the dances to. Their hilarious antics always cheered him up whenever work stress seemed to be getting to him. On the weekends he went to the gym with Seokjin and it allowed them to bond, they had the biggest after all so it was nice. Especially since he was crazy about working out, the opposite of Taehyung who loved to eat junkfood and lie about doing absolutely nothing. He had to do something active or he'd get bored quickly, which was never fun.

xx

They were all sat around their usual lunch table eating and laughing at each other's ridiculous antics. Taehyung was sitting next to Hoseok whose food he kept stealing, alternating between his own plate and the other's.

Jimin was laughing at the cute way Jungkook disgustedly scrunched his nose every time he had to pick an onion off his plate and ruffled his hair teasingly, causing him to bat his hand away and smooth down his hair. Seokjin had been looking at all their timetables to see if they shared any free slots and triumphantly grinned as he announced the good news to the other members of the group.

"What does he want?" Namjoon growled angrily all of a sudden , seeing a straight faced Min Yoongi heading towards their table. Jungkook noticed that he was short, around Jimin's height, but that didn't reduce the intimating air around him in the slightest. He had dark hair that framed his face and a confident swagger about him as he made his way across the hall.

"Hyung, leave him alone.....he's done nothing wrong," Jimin mumbled into his triangle Kimbap, shaking his head and lowering his eyes.

"Nothing wrong. Yeah, except treat you like utter . He shouldn't walk all over you like this, I mean for God's sake he's your-"

"Stop it! I don't want to hear it anymore" Jimin responded hotly, shocking the occupants on the table with his blow up before storming out of the cafeteria with Yoongi hot on his trail.

Jungkook had never seen the elder this worked up before. It felt odd seeing the happy-go-lucky and cheery Jimin, who always had an ear splitting grin for everyone, this upset. This encouraged him to follow the two out and to the nearby classroom where he heard a familiar voice.

"'-don't want to see you ever again. I don't need you in my life anymore. I did once and I'll never make the mistake of trusting you again "

"No, Jimin I'm sorry. I'll spend the rest of my life making it up to you if I have to, I swear...I love you." The elder student pleaded towards the end, hoping that the other would forgive him for what he did in the past but knowing that his words were falling on deaf ears.

At this point Jungkook's heart clenched without his permission. He put his hand on his chest and frowned, not understanding why he was reacting like this to a simple conversation. Ignoring it, he went right back to what he was doing before - spying, albeit subtly.

"How could you?" Jimin's voice rose along with his anger. His hands were clenched tightly by his side and his eyes were glaring resentfully at the fourth year student, practically burning holes into them by this point.

"You don't understand. I had no choice Jiminnie-" At this point Yoongi's voice broke and he tried hard to finish his sentence before he was cut off furiously.

"Understand what? You were all I had and YOU LEFT ME WITH THOSE MONSTERS!! All their hatred, expectations and alcoholism focused on me when you RAN AWAY! Changing your name changes nothing, you absolute COWARD" he screamed, ending the sentence with an accusatory glare.

Jungkook gasped quietly, unable to contain his shock at what was happening right before him. They were brothers?? And Yoongi had changed is his surname to Min after leaving the family, leaving Jimin behind.

Did everyone know or was it just him? They probably did considering Namjoon's hostile reaction every time the heard about, or laid his eyes on Yoongi.

"What, and get beat up everyday for not being good enough for them? Well you know what? I don't need them. I stayed for as long as I could Jimin, I really did. But I couldn't be the son they wanted no matter how hard I tried. Why, because I chose music instead of engineering, finance or anything else guaranteed to fill their greedy pockets? Because my grades weren't ever above ninety percent? I stayed as long as I could for you but after constantly waking up with bruises and a sore throat from crying every night, I decided enough was enough. I was too young too adopt you and like they'd let me anyway. Besides, they'd never hit you, you were always their little miracle. The perfect child. Their ideal for what they expected from me." Yoongi finished with a sad, bitter note.

"Ideal? Blaming me for you running away more like. Sure, I was never hit but that didn't stop the emotional abuse. The daily put downs and underhanded remarks start getting to you real quick if repeated enough. Do you know how hard I worked to get out of there? Probably three times harder than everyone I know.....because to me, they weren't parents, not even decent humans. You were always my shield growing up hyung and I know I took that for granted but I needed you......I-" by the end Jimin was sobbing violently and his brother gently wrapped his arms around the shaking shoulders, mumbling soft apologies and honest promises.

Jungkook, feeling ashamed for eavesdropping shamelessly on was meant to be a private moment between two reconciling brothers, his heel and returned to his half eaten lunch.

He thought about what he'd observed and his heart ached for the young Jimin and the horrible childhood that he had. He was also astonished at the strength he possessed as an adult; to have had his brother abandon him and parents verbally abuse him daily but still come out smiling and fighting. That was true strength - not the bodybuilding nonsense television claimed was nowadays.

Taehyung shook his twin when he noticed that the other had completely spaced out and he'd been continuing a one sided conversation. "Kook, what happened? Are you okay? He worriedly questioned, wondering what the other had seen for him to be this internally disturbed. Jungkook had never been a good actor, his emotions had always been shown clearly on his face from a young age. Clear as day, he always said whenever something happened and the raven's face would always give it away. It always made getting into trouble as kids and lying impossible when they were young, because he'd been an open book all the time.

"Mmm? I'm fine, just thinking about all the assignments we'll get this year. Don't know how I'll survive, " he laughed nervously, trying to act normally before excusing himself. He had to get out of there before Taehyung got it out of him, he'd always been a horrible liar.

He made his way to his room, towards the homework he apparently hadn't completed. This was where he found the carrot haired student curled up in a ball on his bed, his small sniffles occasionally breaking the dead silence of the room. "Do...you want to...talk about it?" The younger asked apprehensively after gathering the other to his chest and hugging him tightly, unsure how to comfort a distraught Jimin.

When the elder didn't respond after a few seconds, he cleared his throat and cheekily proposed, "How about this? For every word you say, I'll call you hyung for a day." Knowing that his currently forlorn roommate was always jokingly reprimanding him for not addressing him respectfully.

The orange haired student giggled breathlessly for a few seconds. It was a sound that lit up the entire room and along with the accompanying grin, lit up Jungkook's heart. He wanted that grin to be recorded, preserved and presented only to him. But truthfully, he was just happy to be the reason for other's temporary happiness after everything that had just happened.

"Okay," Jimin replied teasingly to the other's tempting bargain, knowing that he'd prefer full sentences to the bare minimum. Jungkook however, wasn't fazed by the small answer and instead suggested "Hyung, I know a place that'll cheer you up real quick" he proceeded to half drag the willing Jimin out of their room excitedly, all while rambling on about an ice-cream parlour he and Taehyung found randomly a few days before while browsing around the area.

"The workers all so friendly and the ice-cream tastes awesome! You can choose any flavour you want. It has the standard ones and some oddly tasty, exotic ones. The other day I found myself craving their peanut butter and cherry, so I went there alone and stuffed my face for about half an hour before I came back. It did mean I had to go to the gym for an extra few hours though but that doesn't matter, just get ready for a new addiction." He warned before they entered.

They entered the parlour and headed towards the ice cream section where they spotted Hoseok and Taehyung in a booth with two identical, large cones that were being devoured monstrously by the two. It seemed like a competition of some sort. As they got closer Jungkook noticed that his brother was winning with ease but faced the heavy price of having a cream covered lower face. He'd always been the ravenous one in their family since puberty, nicknamed 'bottomless Tae' by their parents years ago.

Taehyung spotted them first, getting up instantly and wiping his extremely messy mouth self consciously. Hoseok who had been focused on finishing, noticed the other stand up. He looked around and saw Jungkook and Jimin coming towards them. He cheerfully waved them over before focusing on the sudden change in his lavender haired roommate. He was blushing, Jeon Taehyung of all people was blushing.

Was this actually happening? Hoseok asked himself dubiously.The younger was weird to say in the least. A good weird though. Always spacing out and saying childish or mature things when he least expected it. He had so many different conflicting behaviours that created a uniqie paradox that never seemed to stop suprising Hoseok.

His bubbly, unique personality was what attracted so many people to him wherever he went. To see him acting shy and embarrassed was shocking, but it was happening and the dancer couldn't think of a single reason why.

Similarly, Jungkook was also confused by the one hundred and eighty degree flip in his brother's personality. He could easily count on one hand, the number of times Taehyung had blushed since birth. He'd always been the more confident, popular and outgoing twin whereas he was the artsy, shy one. He'd never had a problem with that at all but right now, this situation was odd.

Jimin who was none the wiser slouched down the chair adjacent to Taehyung's before resting his head peacefully on the cold table. Without looking up he lazily gestured with his palm. "Yah, Taehyung-ah get me whatever you're having alright. I trust you, yours looks better than Hoseok's." Taehyung's elated beam and hasty departure was rivaled only by the jealous scowling of Hoseok who had just caught on to the maths student's budding crush on his best friend.