A Leap Forward

Forever, We Are Young

 

"First one to the bumper cars gets a ten second head start," Hoseok yelled loudly, "three, two, one...GO!" and Both of them started sprinting towards it, a determined and concentrated look on their faces.

Although it was difficult because there were so many people walking around, they continued to sprint,  consumed by the desire to win.

Taehyung was the first to come to a sudden halt, at the back of the queue triumphantly. The brown haired boy turned to smile at Hoseok who was sulking.

"It's not fair," he protested, panting slightly, "I had to come to a stop for a few seconds. There was a little kid in my way,"

"You should have ran around him. You're not a car, why would you stop in the middle of a race?" Taehyung logically argued causing Hoseok to nod, "Fine, you won fair and square. Happy?" Hoseok countered, pouting childishly.

Taehyung leaned in, his hot breath fanning over the other boy, "Very," he smiled before looking away, unaware of the other's reaction to his proximity. Hoseok's ears had turned an alarming, yet cute shade of pink.

Argh, why does he unknowingly have to be so damn seductive?  He asked himself before trying to change the subject, "Let's have another bet," he proposed, grin stretching from cheek to cheek.

"Alright. What is it?" Taehyung was excited at the prospect of winning another bet.

"The loser of this match becomes the winner's slave for the rest of the day," he announced, fully intending to win.

"Deal!" Taehyung shouted, bouncing on heels causing the man in front of them to turn around and glare.

By the time they got to the front of the queue, both of them were b with tension.

There were mostly children and some parents in the little cars and randomly, two immature university students. Taehyung chose a bright green one while Hoseok settled for red.

"The games will be commencing very soon, everyone get ready, set and go," a bored looking worker announced on a loudspeaker, not even attempting to sound enthusiastic for the sake of the customers.

"DIE!!!!" Hoseok screamed, charging forward, at Taehyung who was calmly making his way towards him. It was a battle cry that caused everyone's ears to ring and a few mothers to look at him disproving.

They crashed into each other violently, causing them to bounce in opposite directions. Taehyung ended up further away due to the strength of Hoseok's attack.

Not put off in the slightest, Taehyung maneuvered his car so it angled forward and charged full speed at the unassuming Hoseok who was still in the middle of cheering and celebrating.

His neon green car rammed into Hoseok's red one from the side and sent him flying to the other side of the ring, almost crashing into a few other cars. The impact was slightly painful and it caused the elder of the two to release a girlish scream that he would deny until his dying breath.

By now, both sides were starting to take the game very seriously. Taehyung's eyes were narrowed and he was attempting to come up with another plan. Hoseok's breathing was heavy and nostrils were flared, he too was trying to make up a winning strategy.

A lot of the cars had come to a halt as most of the players were now watching the two come to agressive blows, wanting to see who would win between the two friends. Their way of playing seemed much more interesting than everyone else's friendly, soft bumps.

They gave each other a determined stare down from from opposite sides and a few seconds passed but no one so much as lifted a finger. The small audience collectively held their breath as they waited for one of them to make a move.

The partially green haired boy was the first to make a move. He aimed forward and almost half a second later, Hoseok also charged forward. Their cars met in the middle and it was a match to see the who possessed the most brute force and will.

After making contact, both cars got pushed back but while Taehyung's one only moved a few inches, Hoseok's car went spiralling out of control in the opposite direction. He groaned at the impact and the loss of the bet.

Taehyung cheered loudly, waving his arms in the air excitedly and the audience clapped with delight. Just as he was doing little bows for the crowd someone blew a whistle to indicate the end of the game. He made eye contact with his roommate and leapt out of the car using one hand.

The first year made his way to a grumpy looking Hoseok and grinned, "That was awesome," the comment caused Hoseok to mumble something, "Huh, what did you say?"

"It's obviously not my lucky day today. Come on Taehyung, let's go to Burger King. Hopefully I'm still good at eating?" He muttered negatively, annoyed causing Taehyung to laugh at his bitterness over losing.

"Let's go. Oh, remember the bet we made?" Taehyung asked, knowing the answer but still wanting to see the tortured look on Hoseok's face.

"I-..yes," he admitted, accepting his fate.

Taehyung smirked, raising an eyebrow, "Yes who?

Hoseok gulped, wanting to crawl into a hole and stay there - preferably for the rest of his life, "Yes erm....master?" he squeaked causing Taehyung to smile and pat his head, "correct, my lovely servant," he looked at his watch, "only seven hours until midnight. I better make the most of this," and he walked ahead chuckling, leaving the elder of the two to gape in shock.

To say Hoseok was dumbfounded would be a massive understatement, I never knew Taehyung had an evil side to him but weirdly enough, why does it make me like him even more?  Probably because it's more fun this way, I guess.

As he rushed to catch up his mind imagined all of the horrible things he hoped he wouldn't have to do in the next few hours.

Why did he have to make this bet and worst of all, why did he think he'd win? He was horrible at games, often losing at the most trivial of challenges. You would think that would put him off from playing them but clearly not.

As the entered the shop, Hoseok's mind was in a state of paranoia. His eyes roamed around the tables and menu as he wondered what Taehyung would come up with first.

"Hyung, why aren't you ordering?" The younger of the two asked with a sweet smile, something which Hoseok refused to allow lull him into a false sense of security. There was no way he was going to soften after seeing that cute rectangle smile, shiny white teeth, soft brown eyes and.... Oh crap. He looked at the menu, pretending to think about what he wanted to eat.

"I think I'm going to go for a burger,"

"Hyung, we're at Burger King, of course you're going to order a burger," Taehyung giggled making Hoseok laugh, "The question is, which one?"

A few minutes later Hoseok carried the full trays to an empty table and sat down. Hoseok ate his burger normally,  like a civilised person whereas Taehyung demolished it in three bites and began slurping his drink at a shocking speed. The dancer was surprised he had yet to choke.

"Th-...nice...really-" Hoseok said as clearly as he could with a mouth full of food. He swallowed before asking something that had been on his mind for a while, "So, what's your first demand?"

Annoyingly enough, the younger didn't answer properly but looked at him in the eye and gave a small smile before mysteriously replying "I don't know, I guess we'll see. Don't worry yourself over it too much hyung, it won't be too bad,"

The words offered no comfort to Hoseok though, he didn't like the glint that had appeared in Taehyung's eye.

As soon as he was done, he picked up the cola can and got up, "Let's go, we don't want to run out of time. We'll  have to meet the rest in a while," the third year student commented, causing Taehyung to stand up as well.

They threw their rubbish away and exited the store, feeling much better than they had when they entered.

Taehyung was the first to spot a face painting stall for kids and started pointing to it excitedly.

"Hyung, hyung, I've decided. You're getting your face painted," he grinned causing Hoseok to smile, relieved.

"I'm fine with that. I love face paints. You call this a punishment? Weak!" He cackled at the disappointed look on Taehyung's face and ran towards the stand, more eager than the children in line.

Taehyung shook his head fondly, this was meant to be painful for him but who am I kidding? This is Hoseok, I don't think he feels things like shame, he thought, amused.

As soon as Taehyung joined the queue, Hoseok started babbling, "What animal should I get? It's your choice right? I love Horses and Zebras.. but Pandas are cute too....this is so hard!" He complained, tugging his roommate's sleeve.

"I don't know what to get either," the brunet confessed, frowning at the sign. "I like all animals equally,"

A small girl in front of them who was dressed in a little pink frock and holding the hand of a woman they assumed to be her mother, turned around. 

"I like all animals too," she beamed showing off her missing front tooth that made her a picture of innocence and childish cuteness.

"Wow," she exclaimed, eyes widening, looking at Taehyung, "You're really pretty," causing him to stammer and Hoseok to clutch his stomach from laughing so hard.

Her embarrassed mother intervened, "Hye Bin, what did I tell you? Women are pretty and men are handsome. Don't offend this young man,"

"But mum, look at him," she argued, pointing at him with narrowed eyes.

"No offense taken. Besides, we don't need gender roles to tell us what we can and can't be," he smiled reassuringly at the flustered parent before bending down on one knee so he was at height level with the girl.

"One day, you'll be even prettier than me just you see," he ruffled her hair before adding, "So listen to your mum well and eat lots of healthy food," she nodded seriously, her small face scrunching up adorably.

"How about this, me and my friend are having trouble deciding what to choose. Would you like to choose? You look very smart," he said kindly causing her to beam at the compliment.

Hoseok, who was being unusually silent, quietly observed the exchange and smiled softly at how good Taehyung was with kids. You would think, from how comfortable he looked, he was talking to his own daughter.

"I think a butterfly would make you even prettier," she said shyly looking up at him at him between her lashes
after he stood up.

"A butterfly, huh?" He asked, making sure. She nodded, "and he should be a panda. A panda, a butterfly and I'll be a bee," she giggled, clasping her hands together happily. They both smiled at the girl,  showing their approval and they began the painting process.

Hoseok flinched as he fought off the urge to move. The worker was almost finished with his panda makeup but staying still was proving to be a challenge, he'd always been ticklish and this wasn't helping.

Taehyung's butterfly look was complete and the younger was currently a fascinating mix between weird and adorable. He wanted to grab a mirror as soon as possible to check his own design or he'd die from curiosity, especially since he was currently being laughed at and photographed.

The second she was done, he jumped out of the uncomfortable chair and found the nearest reflective surface.

"Hey, why are you laughing? I make one good looking panda," he admired the different sides of his face proudly.

Hye Bin, who was now done with her own bumblebee paint approached them with a skip in her steps. Her mother followed her with a resigned look on her face, clearly used to her child's energetic behaviour.

"Yay, you both look so cool!! I'm sorry but we have to go. Bye, it was nice meeting you guys," she waved at them, holding her mother's hand as they walked away. They waved back, slightly disappointed that they wouldn't get to see her again after today.

From the corner of his eye, Taehyung saw a dress shop. He looked over at Hoseok who was none the wiser and poked him in the arm to get his attention, "You know hyung, I've always wanted to wear a dress. They look kinda comfortable, flowy too. I wonder if they're more comfortable than pants?" He asked the flabbergasted Hoseok, whose eyes were the size of saucers. "Well now thanks to you, I can finally find out,"

"You want us to wear dresses?" He asked incredulously, unable to believe his ears.

"Hey, you lost the bet. You have nobody to blame but yourself," Taehyung replied with a satisfied smile causing Hoseok to groan as they entered the female dominated environment.

All around them were rows and rows of colourful dresses. Taehyung stared up at them with wide, delighted eyes. Meanwhile Hoseok looked around, wondering if one of them was strong enough for him to strangle himself with.

A male attendant, seemingly the only one, came towards them. He probably saw how out of their element they were. As he got closer, Hoseok noticed the bright blue eyeshadow and pink lipstick he was wearing.

"Hi, how can I help you two today? By the way, it's nice seeing a few more guys in this place," he whispered that last part to them so that only they could hear.

"We're looking for two dresses that go with our face paints," Taehyung requested with a friendly grin.

"Woah, you don't hear that everyday," he laughed, "follow me, men," he ordered dramatically, leading them to the larger sized dresses.

"For you," he said, looking at Hoseok, "You need a black dress, that will contrast with the white paint," he picked an elegant, long black dress from the shelf and handed it the grumbling Hoseok.

"And you," he turned to Taehyung, "I have no idea," he confessed, "We don't have butterfly dresses so feel free to look around this section,"

The mint haired boy browsed around before flinging one of the dresses at Hoseok.

"This is the one, it looks so cute. It's red and spotty. Ladybird's and butterfly's are kinda similar anyway. They both fly, are sometimes red, small-, he continued.

"Shall we try them on?" Hoseok interrupted, wanting to get into the changing rooms before the massive swarm of people that were entering.

They entered the small rooms that were separated by a small curtain. Hoseok wrestled his wide shoulders into the dress. In all his years of living, this was not something he thought he'd ever do. If someone had told him last week that right now, he'd be in a small shop squeezing into a dress with an excited Taehyung in the next room, he'd tell them to shut up.

But right now, this was the reality of his life. At least this seemed to make Taehyung happy, that was the only reason he was buttoning up the back instead of running for the hills and rescuing his abandoned manhood.

He looked at the final product in the long mirror in front of him and almost facepalmed. He looked like- well a boy. His figure was anything from girly and his panda face made the entire look appear hilarious.

If he wasn't in so much pain from stretching his body in ungodly positions, he would laugh. Instead, he opened the curtain and waited for Taehyung to come out.

As soon as he did, Hoseok couldn't believe his eyes. The dress was short, almost indecently so, making the younger's long legs look endless and alluring. He swallowed without realising and continued staring. The arm bands, wand and headpiece, coupled with the esctatic beam he flashed at the brunet made him look adorably innocent. Overall all he looked really funny, and judging by the chuckles around them - other people thought so too. 

Obviously the attendant thought the same since Hoseok noticed the looks he had been shooting his roommate ever since he had come out.

"You look amazing, you chose well," the worker complimented, not breaking eye contact once.

"Thank you," Taehyung replied politely, "Hyung, hyung, what do you think?" He twirled around twice, waving the wand around.

"It's...nice...good I mean, looks good," Hoseok commented, stuttering. For once, he didn't have anything to say. I mean, what could he say?

"Thanks hyung. Look, we're both matching. Let's pay and then show the world our new outfits," he exclaimed, grabbing Hoseok's hand and leading him to the till.

They paid for their new clothes, Taehyung making Hoseok promise to keep his dress after today.

"It's a memory. You can't throw it away. Today was our first day at an amusement park together. In a few years we can look back at it, remember and then laugh about it," he insisted causing Hoseok's heart to tighten.

Taehyung still expects us to be together in a couple of years?

Just as they were about to leave, their previous clothes in their bags, they were stopped.

"So hey, I was wondering if you err.... ever want to go out sometime call me yeah," and the employee gave Taehyung a small piece of paper with his number on it before dashing back to his friends who were cheering him on before the university student could reply.

Meanwhile, Hoseok was biting back the urge to grab the piece of paper and rip it to shreds. Who did that guy think he was?  Hitting on Taehyung like that. It's not like Taehyung was alone, that's right, he had him.

Taehyung isn't yours. If I recall correctly, who was too chicken to ask him out? At least this guy has guts, his brain countered wisely.

Hey, you're me right? Aren't you meant to be on my side?  Besides, I'm not a chicken, I'm being logical. I'm obviously gonna get rejected, Tae doesn't like me like that, he argued.

I'll be on your side the day you become a man. Right now you're just pathetic, the voice in his head insulted him. At this point Hoseok didn't know whether to listen to its voice of truth or be freaked out over the fact that he'd been arguing with himself. Was that even normal? Probably not.

"Are you going to call him?" Hoseok answered tentatively, not sure if he really wanted to know the answer to that question. Taehyung put the piece of paper in his bag before turning toward him.

"No, I'm not really looking for love right now," and Hoseok could cry with joy. Clearly all was right with the world again. However, it did also mean that Hoseok's romantic advancements were also unwelcome.

Oh great.

As soon as they exited the shop they were the subjects of people stopping and whispering. Taehyung grabbed Hoseok's arm and began swinging their hands up and down as they waked through the crowds, making them look even more ridiculous. This attracted more attention to the two of them as more people began to stare, some with horrified expressions.

"They probably want to know where we got these," Taehyung whispered jokingly to Hoseok who burst out laughing. All the tension he felt from being the centre of attention faded and he relaxed. He really admired the confidence and straight forwardness that the younger possessed. It made him a lot more mature and free spirited than most people he knew.

"Do you think I can convince people that I'm a real panda?" He asked, doing a series of weird break dancing moves that caused the first year to snicker.

"Almost, I mean it's not like you're a giant bear or something,"

"Damn, I should have asked for a black and white dress should I?" He asked faux seriously making them both look at each other and chuckle.

Suddenly, to the right they heard a few voices.

"Is that my brother?" A completely baffled voice questioned.

"Jung Hoseok are you wearing a dress?" Another familiar, shocked voice asked causing them to turn around and face their friends.

Turning around didn't help them in the slightest, in fact it only made it worse. After seeing their ridiculously painted faces, Namjoon and Jimin were laughing so hard they were struggling for air, Jungkook was holding his stomach for support and Seokjin had tears in his eyes.

"Never....going....to....forget....this," Namjoon wheezed out, still short of breath.

"Only you two would leave looking like normal humans and come back like this," Seokjin commented truthfully causing the others to nod, still greatly entertained.

"Whatever, laugh all you want.  You guys wish you had this much fun," Hoseok waved off their barbs without much effort, "Let's go home," he suggested. Besides, if one other guy not so subtly checked out Taehyung's thighs again he would not be responsible for the murder trial that would follow.  Luckily everyone agreed and they me their way out of the park.

That evening, Hoseok was lying on his bed with a book in his hand while Taehyung was using wet wipes to remove the last of the face paint. Hoseok kept sneaking peaks when he thought the other wasn't looking though because seriously, no one should look good whilst getting rid of face paint- no one. He was almost sad to see the dress go. No, not his one. That one, he was glad to see gone. The only reason he hadn't burnt it was because of the promise he made.

Damn pinky promises, damn innocent and trusting eyes.

"Tae, today isn't over yet," Hoseok reminded the younger of the rules of their bet. After leaving Lotte World they met up with Yoongi who had finished his shift and went to a restaurant. Since it was almost midnight, Taehyung didn't have much time until it was over.

He looked at the small clock in their room and then back at Hoseok.

"There's one minute until midnight. There's only one thing I want. I don't need anything else,"

By now Hoseok's curiosity was peaked, what could the partially brown haired boy ask for. The room wasn't exactly large, there weren't that many things to do there. He gulped, what if he wanted him to wear the dress again? That would be torture. He hoped not, after a few hours of feeling the wind between his legs and being the victim of Yoongi's amused smirks he decided he never wanted to wear girl clothes ever again, regardless of what Taehyung said. He didn't care what other people thought, no, that was the least of his worries. It's just that he was perfectly aware of how unflattering he looked in female attire and knew that he should stick to his usual wardrobe which consisted entirely of baggy sweatpants and hoodies.

"Hyung, this is my last request. For this one you don't have to do it, you can say no if you want to," Taehyung advised, getting off his bed and sitting on Hoseok's. By now the third year was fully aware of his surroundings, sitting up upright so that they were sitting right next to each other.

"What...what is it? He asked slowly, swallowing the lump in his throat that was growing larger with every second that ticked by.

The request could be anything from the extremes 'Help me hide this dead body' to the tame 'Torture Jungkook at lunch tomorrow by secretly pouring salt into his food when he isn't looking"

Though knowing Taehyung, the first one didn't seem likely at all.

The younger leaned in, slowly closing the distance between the two of them so that their noses were almost touching. He exhaled and cool air tickled Hoseok's cheek making him smile.

"Kiss me,"

Just as he said his request, the clock struck midnight and just like that, all of Hoseok's dreams came true. Fireworks were going off in his head. All those painful moments of insecurity and second guessing himself seemed stupid now. It was as if a match was lit inside his heart and now all his cells were burning with a passionate flame.

While he was internally celebrating and thanking all the deities he could think of one by one for taking mercy on his poor soul, Taehyung was beginning to feel unsure.

"You don't- I don't think you feel the same. I'm sorry. I just thought you did I guess. It took a while for me to realise but it's you. Somehow, at the back of my mind, I think it's always been you. This sounds cheesy but you make my heart sing and you're the one person who really appreciates the different sides to me. My own parents don't always get me sometimes but with you its not the same, I can do what I want and say what I want - whenever I want. I know I should wrap this up but I really-" and before he could continue, Hoseok's lips were on his.

He closed his eyes and all he could hear was the thudding of his heart. If he focused, he could smell Hoseok's musky cologne along with his familiar apricot shower gel. His lips were soft and his tongue was something else. The third year ran his tongue over the roof of Taehyung's mouth, making him moan a little into the kiss. The stripey haired boy had his hands fisted in Hoseok's hair as he pulled their bodies closer together in an effort to lengthen the contact. By the time they were done, they were both slightly out of breath and their hair looked fluffy and all over the place.

"I thought you weren't looking for love?" Hoseok teased, partially confused, remembering the younger's words earlier. Taehyung only smiled softly, looking at him with earnest eyes before replying, "In him hyung, I'd be much happier finding it with you," and he laced their hands together, not breaking eye contact once. The tenderness and sweetness of the moment making the elder's breath hitch.

Hey, maybe happy endings are possible, he thought optimistically, anyway, who's the coward now? Definitely not me.