The First Heartbreak

Forever, We Are Young

 

Jungkook woke up first and peeled the blankets off himself slowly. Already used to having an early internal alarm, he knew his floor mate would still be asleep. He turned to see Jimin's sleeping face a few inches from his own and his breath caught in his throat.

There was only one word that came to mind to describing the other. Beautiful. Jungkook's mind supplied, helpfully. Now that he was given a chance to look more closely, he noticed that the elder had chubby cheeks that contrasted with his muscly build and full lips that looked almost...kissable? His evil mind supplied once more.

Jungkook visibly recoiled, disgusted by the direction his thoughts were going in. He got up and practically ran to the bathroom where he washed his face repeatedly, as if that would get rid of the redness of his cheeks.

He'd never been attracted to someone before but this was Park Jimin, his roommate. The one who always made two of whatever he was making because the only thing Jungkook could properly make without burning was ramen. The one who would cheer him up with a horrible joke and a playful smile on his most stressful days. The one who knew that Jungkook wasn't the most talkative person in the world so spoke enough for the both of them in some conversations 

The one whose wide smile could light up an entire room of grumpy people, even Yoongi couldn't be snarky in his presence. The Jimin who'd always instinctively known how to make him feel welcome and jokingly got upset at not being called hyung, knowing that the younger did it to rile him up and not in a rude way.

Jungkook's feelings for the elder slammed him with the force of a sledgehammer. He hadn't been aware of these festering emotions until now so he had absolutely no idea what to do. But then again what could he do, get rejected and live in awkward silence for the next few months?

That didn't seem appealing in the slightest. No. He decided firmly, he wouldn't do anything. This was most likely a phase that would pass soon. In a few days things, meaning his feelings, would be back to their original stage.

However, soon didn't seem like it would come quickly, he thought resigned as Jimin hugged a senior warmly outside the campus. "Jungkookie, this is Baekhyun hyung. He helped me out a lot when I was new and is in his final year as a vocals major. Hyung this is Jeon Jungkook, my roommate. He's studying English Lit," Jimin helpfully supplied after a few seconds of the raven teen just watching the two catch up, standing awkwardly next to his friend.

"Ah, so you're my Chimchim's new roommate? Treat him well, make sure he gets enough sleep, food and revision. He ignores all three when he wants to sometimes. I think he believes that they're not compulsory," Baekhyun warned the youngest, shaking his head disprovingly.

"Hyuuuung. Stop it, you're embarrassing me. I'm not a baby," Jimin whined, adorably pouting, while Baekhyun ruffled his hair playfully.

They played around like this for a few more seconds much to the frustration of both Jungkook and a lanky, curly haired boy who stood a few metres away. Baekhyun spotted his jealous boyfriend first and waved. After eagerly making plans to catch up with Jimin soon and demanding him to bring Jungkook too, he ran to the waiting Chanyeol and linked their hands together so they could walk to their next lesson.

"He was really nice. He looked younger than a senior though. To be honest-" Jungkook was cut off.

"He's my ex-boyfriend," Jimin bluntly admitted, looking away. Jungkook gasped, stunned by the admission, not having guessed that the two had a past from their interaction. However, from what little he'd seen, he assumed that the break up was amicable and not hostile.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you then. It's just that it's a bit weird remembering that we used to date. We were so ill-matched, it lasted a few painful weeks before we both dragged out the truth from each other. Neither of us wanted to hurt the other so it took all of our friends coming together and practically forcing us to admit that we only saw each other as friends for us to finally break up." Jimin chucked softly at the memory, remembering how they had both refused to accept the truth until it was right in front of them.

Jungkook laughed at the situation, silently relieved that his orange haired crush wasn't still harbouring feelings for Baekhyun.

"So hyung, is there anyone in your heart now?" This was a question he'd give almost everything to know the answer to. Just as he asked that, Jimin turned red and started stammering.

"Um I......no....maybe...I-" he stammered before pausing and taking a deep, calming breath "I have to go, I'll be late for lesson" and turned round and disappeared from Jungkook's line of sight.

Not scheduled for lesson, Jungkook walked slowly to the lake where he always managed to find comfort. He saw Taeyhyung sitting on one of the benches with an uncharacteristic frown. The latter of the two wasn't playfully feeding the ducks and laughing at their actions like usual, what could be wrong? Whenever Taehyung got like this, and it was quite rare that it did, it was because of something big. Nothing miniscule could ever get through him to affect his pretty stable emotions. 

"Hyung? Hyung, what's wrong?" Jungkook addressed his twin brother with worried concern. The elder two by two minutes was staring blankly ahead and surprised him when he suddenly asked "Jungkook what should I do? I'm confused. I like someone and I want to confess but I'm scared I'll get rejected," the usually confident Taehyung asked panicked.

"Don't be silly who would reject you? That's right, no one. Just be your normal self and they'll fall in love with your weirdness, I promise," the younger tried to cheer him up the best way he could. "Who is this person anyway?" He was sure it was someone he knew as Taehyung hadn't spent much time out of their group of friends. Although they were twins, neither of them had dated much (Jungkook not at all) so this kind of talk was very very rare. 

"Park Jimin," Taehyung whispered and Jungkook's head snapped sideways instantly, thinking that he'd heard wrong and asked him to repeat it. His head snapped so quickly that he heard a crack and felt a neck muscle being pulled.

"Park Jimin," this time it was louder and so undeniable that Jungkook's heart froze in place, causing a dull pain to spread around his chest. "Shocking isn't it? I don't know when it even started." He continued, completely unaware of the other's inner turmoil.

They both knew that Taehyung was biual, he practically came out of the womb ready to spread his love for both genders across the whole country. However, he hadn't seen his brother this serious about someone in years.

"Hyung, are you....are you sure? I mean a hundred percent certain?" He asked again, his mouth having a mind of its own. Almost going faster then his brain. He felt his mouth say those words before he could think about them. 

"Wholeheartedly Kook, I mean the first time he smiled in my direction I almost swooned. Me, Jeon Taehyung. I've never felt this way for someone before," his brother smiled shyly, unknowingly shattering Jungkook's heart even further into smaller unidentifiable pieces.

What could he do? Confess that they were both falling for the same person? No, Jungkook would never do that. This was his twin, his other half, the one person who he knew with all his heart that he'd spend the rest of his life with. The one person who he would die for now, no questions asked. So there was no way he could tell him the truth.

"Then just tell him the truth. It beats suffering in silence and never knowing if he likes you back. Go for it," he encouraged him, the irony not being lost on him.

"I'll try, hopefully he says yes. Imagine if he says no. Oh my god, what if he says no? That's it, I'm not saying anything. I'll end up ruining everything and it'll be awkward because everyone will have to take sides. Hoseok hyung is Jimin's best friend and my roommate so he'll be stuck in the middle of us while we ignore each other in hallways for the next few years. Think about it." Taehyung rambled nervously.

"Hyung, you're overreacting. Stop. You have nothing to lose-" he paused after noticing the other's face fall "Scratch that, you do have something to lose but you also have everything to gain. It's better to experience rejection than live with regret," the maknae wisely preached, suddenly feeling like the biggest hypocrite on earth, wishing the ground would swallow him whole.

"Look at my baby brother giving me advice. You're right though Kookie, anything's better than regretting," he admitted and gave his twin a wobbly smile before leaving to find the object of his affections.

Taehyung waited for Jimin outside his classroom, mentally preparing what he'd say once the doors opened. He paced up and down, getting weird looks from students passing by but paid them no attention. He took a deep breath and willed his brain to calm down. Just as soon as he'd shaken the nerves out of his system, the second year Engineering students started to file out of the lecture hall.

He walked straight up to him, noticing that he was surrounded by a few of his classmates.

"Jimin-ah, can I talk to you privately or are you busy right now?" His voice cracking in the middle of the sentence, a side effect of nerves.

"Of course Tae, let me just finish here," Jimin smiled widely at him before saying telling his friends that he'd see them later. He was curious about what was so wrong that they needed a private talk for it to be resolved.

"Shall we go to our usual hangout place or is this just a small talk?" He asked trying to relax, there was nothing beneficial in assuming the worst.

"No let's go, this might take a while," Taehyung admitted truthfully.

Their regular hangout was a rundown park with graffiti, creaky swings and contained no human life whatsoever. They both loved it. They'd run around like kids, going on the slide or playing a more violent game of chase than the average child. None of the others knew about this place which made it slightly more sacred. It was something that only the two of them shared and allowed them to connect whenever they were both free.

They were swinging slowly on the swings when Taehyung broke the silence, "Jiminnie, what would you do if I told you I like you? How would your react? Would it be to freak out or flat out say no?" He paused before continuing. "I know this is kind if sudden but I wanted you to know because I can't hide it anymore. I really like you and I want you - no, need you to know,"

"Huh?........you.....me?  Since when? Yah, is this a prank?" The orange haired student stammered at first but then fired off with a smile, thinking that his friend was joking and not being sincere.

"No it's not a prank, I swear. I've liked you for a while now and I couldn't pretend that everything was fine. Keeping it in is eating me alive. To be honest, I might not have confessed this early but Jungkook gave me this little pep talk which convinced me to come to you now." Taehyung revealed honestly, looking externally composed but mentally praying that he wouldn't have his heart and pride stomped on.

"Wait, Jungkook told you to tell me this?" Jimin asked quickly, confused by his roommate's intentions. Did he want his roommate and his brother to date? Why hadn't he said anything, they lived together.

"Yeah he did. Also, take your time, I don't want to rush you into anything or something," Taehyung responded to the question, unsure about why his brother was being bought up suddenly. But he tried to reassure him, seeing how overwhelmed and panicked Jimin looked.

"Taehyung-ah....I'm so sorry. You're a really good friend of mine and you always brighten up my day, but I don't see you like that. I'm sorry I didn't notice how you felt, that was kinda selfish of me," Jimin responded regretfully, knowing that in his eyes Taehyung was first and foremost a friend and nothing else. He couldn't imagine seeing the younger in a romantic light at all which was regretful since it was heartbreaking to be the reason for that forlorn expression on the usually smiling face.What if this ruined their friendship. 

"Oh......I see. At least I tried though right? Now I won't have to think about what ifs or be disappointed in myself," he swallowed another painful lump in his throat and continued, trying to brush it off and not reveal how hurt he was by the rejection, "Just wait a while for me to get over it and things will go back to how they were, I promise," the rejected lavender haired boy finished with a wide boxy smile that didn't seem to reach his eyes and hurried off before Jimin could say anything else, wanting to break down in the privacy of his room.

It would seem that today, luck was not on his side.