Gender bend

Royal lies [HIATUS]

Jeonghan awoke the next morning with an uneasy feeling in his stomach. Going to meet the prince in place of his sister had seemed like a flawless idea yesterday, but it was in no way flawless. What if he got called out for being male? What would he do if the prince chose him? Endless possibilities ran through his head as he slowly got out of bed, and most of them weren’t pretty thoughts.

 

When he had told Chungae yesterday, she had literally leaped onto him and smothered him so much he thought he was going to die. To get away from her antics he had gone a walk in a nearby park, with a hoodie on so he wouldn’t be recognised as a noble. The walk had gone too quickly as he wanted to get home fast because he had felt he was being watched as soon as he stepped into the park, but once he got back to the house his sister was all over him again, and had left him laid in bed that night with a burning headache.

 

With the remnants of a headache and an uneasy stomach he trudged to his sisters room unwillingly, as the previous day she had insisted on getting him ready. She was waiting just inside her door, obviously having woken up earlier out of the excitement of it all. As soon as Jeonghan knocked and walked in he was tackled to the ground and his clothes were being ripped off.

 

‘Ya! That shirt was expensive!’ he cried in frustration, he was not prepared to deal with his sister right now but he had promised her and he never broke his promises. She ignored his words and continued removing his clothes until he was left in his underwear and then proceeded to shove him towards her wardrobe where her hanbok collection hung, ready for special occasions such as this.

 

‘You can’t go in your clothes so wear one of these, I am pretty sure we are the same size!’

 

‘You know, I wasn’t planning on wearing my clothes in anycase. You could have at least let me take them off myself, instead of you literally ripping them of my body.’ Jeonghan stood there openly, without embarrassment in front of his sister, they were siblings after all and had grown up together so of course there was no shame between the two, and started browsing through her expansive collection of hanboks.

 

He really didn’t know why she needed so many, as she never went to formal events, but she had a whole range of different types that varied in colour and style. Jeonghan could have browsed through them forever, however he knew that he would have to choose soon in order to get the thing on, which took what seemed like hours, and do his hair and makeup. The thought was weird as he was a male and even though he had long hair, he had never thought to style it apart from occasionally tying it up.

 

After choosing out a red and blue silk hanbok he spent the next two hours preparing, with Chungae doing most of the work, and emerged from her room looking more like a girl than he ever had. He seriously thought he looked like a different person and was sure he would not get found out. However, as the process of transforming into a girl went on, the prettier he became and he started to immensely worry that the prince would really choose him. It sounded vain but he looked like a doll, his eyes had been outlined with black liner and his lashes stood taller, making his eyes look wide and doll like, with his skin made 2 shades lighter with powder and a hint of blusher added to his cheeks. His hair was tied up, not too fashionably, but so it was natural looking.

 

As soon as she had finished, Chungae squeaked at how good he looked and once again manhandling him, lead him out of the room and to the limousine that was waiting for him outside. Their parents were waiting outside for them too, wanting to send Jeonghan off. His father once again whispered warnings to his son and told him to use his real name if asked because they wouldn’t be checking. His mother, however, rushed over to him and gave him a hug, crooning about how beautiful he was and how she hoped he had a good time. Jeonghan smiled softly and thanked them all before lowering himself into the limousine and setting off to the palace.

 

Taking the limousine seemed stupid seen as the palace was only a few streets away, but it was a necessary formality, which was obviously followed as they drove up the long road to the palace doors surrounded by different limousines. Everyone was formally dressed as well, wearing their best hanbok, turning the entrance of the building into a silk rainbow. A few of the women were speaking in hushed, excited tones to each other, perhaps being friends supporting one another, while others glared at the people around them, obviously craving to be by the prince's side when he takes the throne.

 

Jeonghan however kept his head low as his hired brought him up the steps alongside the beautiful women. Everyone of them looked like a goddess, so he was immediately reassured that he would not be picked and managed to wipe clean his mind of worries, leaving only nerves of seeing the prince in person for the first time.

 

All of the guests were taken to the ballroom by their escorts, who left them after they reached the door. Each woman made their way peacefully into a line, having to remind themselves to not push to the front of the line in an unladylike way. Jeonghan found himself in the centre of a line made up by around 150 women, all who were waiting silently in the gorgeously decorated room.

 

The king and queen presented themselves first and all 150 women and himself simultaneously formally bowed with their full body, before getting up and presenting themselves again. The king introduced why they were all here which got a response of a few giggles (that were kindly ignored), and finally presented his son, who came through the door he was hiding behind, looking even handsomer in real life, and bowed at the women before the ceremony started.