Perfect problems

Royal lies [HIATUS]

It was a peaceful morning in the Yoon household. Through the main doors and straight up the staircase, then down the right corridor, the second door on the left were Yoon Jeonghan’s  personal rooms. Warm light streamed through his large windows, which were open slightly, letting a soft breeze flow through the cream curtains hanging around the glass. The room was painted red with miniature dragon carving in each corner of the ceiling. There was a huge bed resting in the centre of the room, decorated with crisp white sheets and feather pillows.

 

Wrapped tightly in those sheets was a beautiful, long haired male. His eyes fluttered gracefully under the daylight that streamed through his pale curtains, and his lips formed a small smile as if dreaming of the happiest things in life. The boys golden hair was splayed across his white sheets like a halo and framed his face perfectly, making the boy look impossibly more beautiful.

 

The boy dreamed on tranquilly, until seconds later all peace was disturbed when a loud shatter was heard throughout the house. Jeonghan bolted up right, eyes still closed and mouth dropped open in confusion. He brought a hand up to cutely rub his eyes. When his eyes finally got used to the sunlight he blinked around, trying to find the source of the smash.

 

Another clash was heard outside the room, and Jeonghan’s slow, sleepy brain presumed it was from the kitchen. Either the cook was being really careless that day or his sister was having another tantrum. Jeonghan sighed. The last tantrum she had was over a pair of shoes their father refused to buy her and he wondered what petty thing it would be over this time. He really didn’t want to get out of bed, where it was warm, comfortable and peaceful. In comparison to the cold, sharp and violent atmosphere downstairs.

 

However, he pushed himself to his feet and padded to the door, grabbing his dressing gown on the way. If he didn’t go down he would have to deal with his sister later and he was planning on having a respectfully calm day, which he hardly ever got because of his sisters breakdowns which he had to clean up everytime.

 

He had just trudged into the kitchen when a plate broke in two at his feet. He looked down in surprise then back up to see his sister, Chungae, had moved in front of him and placed her hands on her hips in a stance he knew all too well. Just as expected her normal words followed her stance, but the situation linked to the words perplexed him.

 

‘Jeonghan! Tell him I am not going to meet Prince Seungcheol!’ She pointed a finger accusingly back at their father with her eyes still glued madly on Jeonghan. Jeonghan’s mouth hung open in surprise at the words, then closed and open numerous times as if searching for words. His sister tilted her head at him, not understanding why he didn’t reply but then realised he had no idea what was going on. Her stance relaxed a little and she let her arms drop towards the floor.

 

‘Huh?’ Jeonghan finally got out after his brain stopped drowning in confusion. Chungae immediately took him by the arm and led him to the small breakfast bar located to the side of the room, completely ignoring their father who was stood firmly, with a stern look marring his face. She pushed him down onto the seat before plopping herself down next to him, throwing an thin arm around his shoulders and carefully glancing at their father before putting her lips close to his ear to whisper him the situation.

 

‘Prince Seungcheol has sent out a message to all the noble families with unmarried daughters, telling us to go to the palace at 6pm tomorrow evening, so we can present ourselves to become his wife. I can’t believe he is doing this again, seems he has given up on his class and moved onto us, as all the other royals know he is a pompous prick.’ She broke off to chuckle at her own words and she threw another glance at their father before going on. ‘You see I totally would go but I also wouldn’t because I have no interest in that vain douche and I would rather marry the likes of our next door neighbour...’ She finished with a blush.

 

Neither of them had noticed that while she confessed their father had moved towards them and had overheard what she had said. A disapproving grunt came out of his mouth, making them both jump in surprise. ‘Why would you choose him when you could have the royal heir?’ He questioned. Both of them were looking at him like deers in headlights and it took a second for Chungae to think of an answer.

 

‘Well, firstly he isn’t attractive,’ Jeonghan scoffed, everyone knew that he was one of the handsomest men in the country and they weren’t just being respectful. His sister ignored his scoff and went on without a pause. ‘He is really needy, and gets annoyed when things don’t go his way, he might be a Prince but he’s not a God!’ True, Jeonghan thought, but he is as close as any human would be to one. ‘I just don’t want to go meet him and I am not changing my mind!’ She huffed and turned from her father, put her elbow on the table and leaned into her palm with a childlike pout on her face.

‘Chungae, you know that if you don’t attend I could be stripped of my title, could you stop being so selfish!’ Their father shouted in anger. He was red in the face and Jeonghan knew he had to calm the situation down before his face literally burst into flames.

 

His sister had another outburst at this and kicked her chair to the floor as she angrily got to her feet. ‘I told you I’m not going!’ She screamed before storming out of the room. Their father was just about to follow when Jeonghan grabbed him by the arm and restrained him from going.

 

‘Look dad, if it’s really that important… Well, I could go. People always say I look like a girl and there's like a 1% chance he will pick me out of all the girls there. Please, I don’t want the family to be hurt.’ The real truth was that he had always wanted to meet the Prince, and he had the tiniest crush on him, that he would of course never admit to anyone. His dad probably thought he was just being a filial son and sighed in defeat as a sign that Jeonghan had yet again won over his father’s words.

 

‘Fine, but you have to make sure to stay quiet and keep your head down. I presume you already know when it is? Go tell your sister, I will deal with your mother. And we better pray his eyes skim right past you.’ He warned sternly before turning and leaving the room, presumably to go find his wife.

 

Nervousness filled Jeonghan’s body and radiated into the clean cut room around him. He couldn’t believe this was really going to happen. After years of pining after the Prince he was finally going to meet him, but for everyone’s well being he was still wishing that the older male would completely ignore him.

 

Letting out a disappointed breath, Jeonghan made his way back upstairs to get himself presentable for the day before cautiously knocking on his sister's door and telling her the good news.