Silencio

Divided

 

Silencio - spell that silences the victim

 

Taehyung was back to his normal clowning duties after a full day's rest at the infirmary. Although still sore, he pulled himself together and got himself to class on Monday morning, ready to learn -- or in his case, fool around.

 

Irene's sympathy for him flew out the door as soon as Taehyung came to class with that stupid grin of his and everyone welcomed him. "It's like he was never here or something," Irene muttered under her breath, hiding her face in her book. As Taehyung bumped fists with and high fived everyone around him, he took his seat, still being bombarded with questions. "How was it like?" "Were you scared?" "Are you prepared for the second task?" Irene was quiet the whole time, her body turned away from Taehyung and their classmates. The whole time, she was biting the inside of her cheek to try and prevent her from saying anything, and she felt that Taehyung was really trying to get her to turn around. "I won't lie, it was pretty scary," Taehyung began, "but getting hit in the face often by Irene's Bludgers pretty much prepared me for the first task." All the classmates around him laughed, and Irene cracked a small smile.

 

In Irene's last class of the day, Transfiguration, she had her head down and wasn't listening to the professor. She had already read ahead and knew how to perform the next assignment, so she was resting. Seulgi and Hoseok, who shared the same class with her, were half-asleep, as they too already knew the next assignment. Seulgi and Hoseok weren't even supposed to be in Irene's class, as it was meant for seventh year level, but they exceeded so greatly last year in their Transfiguration class that they were put into a seventh year level class in order to prevent an easy pass. As the professor ended his lecture and paired everyone up for a group assignment based on the exerpt from the textbook he just read, the classroom burst into conversation. "Irene's my partner today!" Hoseok chimed, receiving a glare from Seulgi. "No, it's my turn. You had her last week and I was stuck with a dimwit," Seulgi refused, gesturing Hoseok to turn around and pair up with the person sitting next to him. "Fine, just to be fair," Hoseok sulked, turning away from the two to talk to his classmate next to him. Seulgi rested her head on the desk and faced Irene, and she smiled tiredly back at her. "What's up?" Irene asked, yawning. Seulgi sat up, pulled a journal from her bag, and placed it in front of Irene. "It's a gift from Taehyung. He told me to give it to you today," Seulgi explained as Irene sat up and picked up the journal, flipping through it.

 

"He gave me an empty journal?" Irene raised a brow and Seulgi chuckled. "He told me about how you said that you would talk to him normally if he found another way to communicate with you other than in person," Seulgi explained, "so, he asked me to make this. It wasn't easy, but since you two are my friends, I made an exception." Irene examined the seemingly empty book, and turned to the first page. There was a single line, written in Taehyung's handwriting, that read "When you read this, write something back so I know you received this". "I'll explain everything in a second, just write in it first," Seulgi smiled, and Irene just grabbed her quill and wrote under Taehyung's sentence. "What is this?" Irene wrote, and as soon as she finished writing, the line that was above hers disappeared. "It's called a two-way journal," Seulgi explained, "both of you have the same copy of this journal, and can communicate any time and any where from writing in this; think of it as a mini one-on-one chat room. Also, just in case you lose it and someone finds it, no one is able to read your conversations since everything gets erased except for the last sentence. I tried to perfect it so that everything gets erased, but it got too complicated." Irene looked down at the book, observing the cover, which had her full name engraved on the front side. "Seulgi . . ." Irene sighed, looking down at the journal and then up at her, "you're amazing." "I know."

 

Throughout the rest of her day, Irene kept flipping the journal open, hoping that Taehyung would reply to her -- but he hadn't. The reason why he hadn't was because he was in the Gryffindor common room trying to figure out how to open the golden egg. He knew that the clue to the second task would be in it, but he didn't know how he was going to get it open. Jin, Yeri, and Joy were sitting next to him, along with some of their fellow dorm mates, trying to help him figure out on how to get the clue. They tried prying it open, submerging it in water, and casting spells on it, but none of them worked. Exhausted, Taehyung decided that it would be best to take a break and come back to it. After all, the next task would be in two months -- that was plenty of time to figure out the clue. 

 

Taehyung decided to take a breather when he had to gather everyone to head to dinner. As he guided the Gryffindor house to the Great Hall, he took a walk in the hallway to clear his head before eating. Although he was trying to clear his head, his thoughts led back to the golden egg. "If submerging it in water didn't work, maybe submerging it in heat would?" he thought to himself, a finger resting on his chin. As he walked through the halls, he spotted a couple snogging* in a corner, half hidden from the hallway. "Hey, everyone's supposed to be at the dining hall," Taehyung grunted, grasping the female student by the robe and pulling her off of the male student. His eyes widened and face turned red from anger when he realized that the male student was Jimin.

 

The female student scurried off, preventing Taehyung from identifying her. He was left to stand in front of Jimin, who was just dusting himself off. "Jimin . . . how could you?" Taehyung muttered, staring at him in disbelief. Jimin shrugged, digging his hands in his pockets and leaning against the wall. "I've never really had this much attention before . . I couldn't help myself." Taehyung couldn't believe what Jimin was saying. "I couldn't help myself?" Taehyung scoffed, shaking his head. He hadn't been this angry since the first time Irene cried. "What the actual is wrong with you? Irene loves you. She's never said that to anyone besides her parents before, and the one person she says it to betrays her like this," Taehyung was trying his best to hold himself back, because he knew he was going to go ape once he let go. "I just -- Irene's the only girl I talked to, and now that other girls are talking to me . . I don't know, I guess I like the attention," Jimin sighed, "I know what I'm doing is wrong, but please don't tell Irene. I'll tell her myself." Taehyung turned his back to him, unable to even look at him in the face. Even though Taehyung and Irene had a rocky friendship, he always looked out for her. When he caught Gryffindors sneaking toads into her book bag, he assigned them month-long detentions, and when someone talked bad about her to him, he would defend her. He justified that he was the only one that could make fun of her. Now that Jimin was giving Taehyung no option to get involved, he didn't know what to do. 

 

"What makes you think I won't tell Irene before you do?" Taehyung looked behind his shoulder, seeing that Jimin was in the same position. "Because I'll tell your Headmaster that you snuck into the Forbidden Forest with Irene and Wendy, and you'll be disqualified from participating in the tournament." Taehyung fully turned around, ticked off that Jimin would stoop that low. He had a feeling that Jimin wasn't going to tell Irene anything. "But Irene told you all of that so you knew what to expect. She was looking out for you," he shot back, glaring at Jimin in disgust. "I know," Jimin said simply, "but no one needs to know that." Taehyung was quiet, his mouth forming a thin line. "Do you not care about her feelings?" "Of course I do, I'm her boyfriend." "Jimin, cut the crap. We both know that you're not gonna tell her ." Jimin sighed, resting his head against the wall. "I'm not entirely lying when I said that I would tell her myself. I'm just going to tell her after I win the tournament." Taehyung couldn't take it anymore. He landed a punch square in the jaw, and Jimin let it happen -- he saw it coming and didn't even flinch. As Taehyung stormed off, Jimin called after him. "It's a deal, right? You won't tell her?" Taehyung stopped and closed his eyes, sighing.

 

"Yeah, Jimin. I won't tell her."

 


 

* snogging = making out / kissing