Closure

Divided

 

Closure - a sense of resolution or conclusion

 

Irene could not stop thinking about the talk she had with the Headmaster when he pulled her out of class. Although that was two weeks ago, her thoughts always seemed to lead back to that conversation. The main question she had was why Taehyung would treasure her so much. After all, there was a point in time where she legitimately hated him, and even pushed him away from her. How could he cherish her that much after all she had done to him? 

 

She didn't bother asking Taehyung about any of this either, and the worst was that she couldn't even talk to her friends about it. She was bound by a spell casted by the Headmaster to not speak of the details she knew about the second task, so even if she wanted to tell someone, she couldn't. Taehyung didn't even know the specifics of the task, all he knew came from the clue that the golden egg gave. Irene was on her own on this one.

 

Irene had her journal open while she was doing classwork, and as she eyed Taehyung, she noticed that he was writing in his journal. She kept glancing over at her journal to see when Taehyung's message would pop up, and soon enough, it did. "You seem spaced out. Finish the assignment already?" Irene chuckled to herself silently and wrote back, "Yeah I'm a little spaced out, classwork is boring." She paused, holding her quill still before writing again. "Hey, random question." "Yeah? What's up?" Irene paused, not sure of how to word her question. "Nevermind." "Oh come on, don't fake me out like that, now I'm gonna be wondering what you were going to ask me." "No, really Taehyung, it's okay. I was just going to ask you what the answer to the fifth question was, but I found it." "Huh, didn't think you would ever ask me a question about academics." "Shutup, I'm really tired and I can't focus, okay?" "Yeah sure, Irene."

 

Irene ended up spacing out again as she looked down at her textbook, immersing herself in her thoughts instead of reading. She was starting to just realize why she was chosen as Taehyung's cherished loved one. Most people have a handful of cherished loved ones, such as parents and siblings, but Taehyung had none of the two -- sort of. Taehyung's mother passed away from a terminal illness on his seventh birthday, and his father was never in the picture. His step-father took him under his wing, since Taehyung did not have any older relatives or siblings that could take care of him. Life was hard for the two of them, as his step-father was almost never home, too busy working. He didn't really have a solid relationship with Taehyung, so he never established that father-son bond that Taehyung wanted. Irene, at the time, took care of him and watched over him, even when Taehyung was acting up in school. The only reason for that, though, was so that his step-father could pay attention to him for at least a couple minutes, but even that didn't work. Taehyung ended up throwing in the towel on trying to get his step-father to notice him, and soon, it didn't matter to him if they had a relationship or not. Irene filled that void, and she realized then, that she was all he had when they were children.

 

Irene snapped out of her thoughts when she was suddenly nudged in the arm by Taehyung's elbow, and when she looked over at him, he nudged his head to the front of the class. Irene looked in the direction that Taehyung gestured towards, and she felt her blood boil, seeing Jimin and Tiffany talking to their professor. The rest of the class noticed the two Champions' presense, and began conversing amongst each other. "What are they doing here?" Irene asked, and Taehyung shrugged. "I hope the professor doesn't let them sit in on his lecture," Jin expressed his disgust towards Jimin to Taehyung, who nodded in agreement. As if Jin's dismay came true, the professor formally introduced the two students, and instructed them to sit wherever they wanted to listen in on his lecture. Jimin walked over to Irene while Tiffany sat in an empty seat in the very front, and Irene pretended to not notice Jimin. "Is it alright if I sit here, miss?" Jimin asked politely, and Irene glared up at him. "That seat's taken," Irene said simply. Jimin was referring to the seat next to Irene, which she was using to set her bag and other books on. "Joohyun," the professor said sternly, "please be nice to our guest." Irene grumbled, grabbing her bag and books, setting them on the floor by her chair. As soon as Jimin sat down, she scooted her chair closer to Taehyung, who sat up straight and looked over at Jimin. He gave Taehyung an innocent smile and Taehyung rolled his eyes, his focus shifting to the professor.

 

As the professor went on with his lecture, Jimin tried his hardest to try and talk to Irene, but she wasn't having it. Taehyung, two seats over, was pissed. How dare he come up in here and pretend like nothing was wrong, he thought. Taehyung tried to talk to Irene through their journals, but Irene was more occupied with trying to ignore Jimin. Irene wasn't really hurt by Jimin anymore, as she was way past that point in the break up, but now she was just annoyed of him and didn't want to see his face again. "You okay?" Taehyung mouthed to Irene, and she nodded and sighed. "You want to switch seats with me?" he whispered, and Irene just shook her head. "I'll be okay, Tae," she smiled appreciatively, turning her head back to the professor.

 

Irene surprisingly survived throughout the entire class period ignoring Jimin, although it wasn't that surprising since she had plenty of practice with Taehyung. As the professor dismissed everyone, Irene stood up, and Jimin grabbed her arm. "Hey, let me walk you to your next class," he offered, but Irene just pulled his grip off of her. "No thanks, I'm capable of walking myself to class," Irene replied, "why don't you walk your girlfriend to her class? She'd be mad to see you walking another girl to class instead of her --" "I broke up with her." "Oh, how unfortunate," Irene sighed sarcastically, attempting to follow Taehyung out of class as Jimin followed her. As the group stepped outside the classroom, Jimin pushed Irene against the wall, causing everyone to look over in their direction. Taehyung wanted to jump in and pull Jimin off of her, but Jin pulled him back. "They need closure," he said, and Taehyung bit the inside of his cheek and stayed still. "I took you for granted," Jimin panted, "I was an , but God damn, you're the ing love of my life and I can't live without you." Irene stared into Jimin's eyes, trying to see if he was lying or not. She felt his gaze burn holes into her own eyes, and she sighed. "You can live without me, Jimin. You're alive after a month of our break-up." "I don't know if I can take it anymore, Irene." She felt the tears coming, but she tried her hardest to hold them back. She was not going to give in, she just couldn't -- but this was the first time in a month that he had shown real and genuine affection for her.

 

"Irene," Jimin mumbled, "do you know what memory I held onto when I casted the Patronus Charm in the first task?" Irene didn't answer, and just stared at him. "I thought of the first time you told me that you loved me." Irene bit her lip, holding back the tears that had already formed in her eyes. "That doesn't change anything, Jimin!" Irene pushed Jimin away from her, "Nothing you can say will ever replace the fact that you betrayed me. We will never be able to go back to what we had after what you did, because I don't love you anymore. I feel nothing for you." Irene spat the last few words into his face before she pushed him out of her way, walking towards Taehyung and Jin, who waited for her. "Let's go," Irene mumbled as she pulled Taehyung and Jin away. Taehyung glanced over his shoulder and saw Jimin's distressed face. He turned forward, pulling Irene by the shoulder for a short side hug in an attempt to comfort her. "You did the right thing, Irene."