Serpensortia

Divided

 

Serpensortia - Spell that produces a snake

 

The past two weeks was hell for Slytherin's Quidditch team.

 

Every year, Gryffindor and Slytherin faced each other in the first Quidditch match of the season, and there was an unspoken rule that whoever won the match had every bragging right up until their next match together. Slytherin won the opening match the past two years, so they were used to flaunting their victory at the beginning of the school year -- and now, their flaunting was practically handed over.

 

Slytherin's Quidditch team had already had a deep talk with one another, and agreed that it was anyone's game at the point they were at. They concluded that Gryffindor was just lucky this time around and that they would take the win at their next game. 

 

They didn't realize, however, that it was difficult to keep composure when Gryffindor's Quidditch team bragged every day and all day for the past few weeks. Irene suffered the most, having shared most of her classes with Taehyung. Nothing Irene could say would ever top Taehyung's comments towards her because it was still early on in the school year and their next Quidditch match wouldn't be until next month. Irene never really had a short temper until she and Taehyung became sworn enemies in their first year at Hogwarts. Every day since Gryffindor's win, Taehyung would not go a day without bagging on Irene and reminding her about how glorious it was to show off the Golden Snitch in his hand. He thought it was absolutely hilarious to see Irene's annoyed face, and test her patience -- and tested her patience was.

 

Irene was currently serving her fifth detention with none other than the person who got her there: Taehyung. If she had a galleon for all the times she wrote "I will not use magic outside of class", she would be dirt rich. Of course, in Irene's defense, she never started it -- it was always Taehyung. In a way, Irene was right, but there was no other way to cope with her anger at Taehyung other than using spells to embarrass him. This time, Wendy was with them, as a result of transfiguring one of the Gryffindor Beater's arm into a snake. The professor supervising the detention was called out of the classroom by another professor, so he stepped outside of the classroom to talk.

 

"Psst, hey, Irene," Taehyung whispered, trying to get Irene's attention, but failed when he noticed that she didn't even flinch one bit. Irene completely ignored Taehyung. Slytherin had lost fifty house points, ten for every time she received detention, and she wasn't about to lose any more points just because she wanted Taehyung to shut up. It was better for Gryffindor to win the first Quidditch match of the season rather than the House Cup, she thought. Taehyung eventually gave up, and stopped pestering Irene after the professor walked back into the room. Once the professor sat down at his desk, Wendy and Irene stood up, almost in sync, and walked over to the professor to hand in their lines. "You're clear to leave," the professor said, "and I better not see you here again, Miss Bae." Irene flashed an innocent smile and nodded before following Wendy out of the room. 

 

"I heard Professor Flitwick talking to Professor Sinistra about the first task of the Triwizard Tournament," Wendy told Irene, keeping her voice down in case anyone was around. "What, really? Tell me! We have to tell Jimin," Irene whispered back, eyes widened in curiousity. "Apparently Flitwick is supposed to help a team of wizards safely transport dangerous creatures brought over from a sanctuary in Romania. I didn't hear anything other that that, but my guess is that the Champions will have to face the creatures in the first task." Irene's stomach churned. The first task hadn't even taken place yet, and she was already sick to her stomach. It wasn't like Jimin was capable of handling things, but she just didn't want him to hurt himself -- or be killed. "And I memorized the coordinates from the paper that was on his desk, so we can just throw on some invisibility charms and be on our way --" "On your way to where?" Wendy and Irene turned around, giving each other a look when they realized that Taehyung was listening in on their conversation.

 

"None of your business, dimwit," Irene grumbled, turning back around and proceeding to walk faster. "Hey come on, I wanna know! Please please please?" Taehyung ran after the two, pestering them to answer him. "Wait Irene, why don't we have Taehyung come with us?" Wendy stopped walking and pulled Irene's arm, stopping her as well. "Wendy are you hearing yourself right now? Why the heck do you think him coming with us is a good idea?" Irene disagreed, giving Taehyung a deathly glare. "Irene, he's Hogwarts's Champion. Any advantage he has will give him a higher chance of doing well on the first task, and that means Hogwarts will be closer to winning the Triwizard Cup. Don't you want our school to win?" Wendy and Taehyung both looked at Irene, waiting for an answer, and Irene just sighed loudly. "I'll only be okay with him going under one condition," Irene pulled herself together and crossed her arms, "Taehyung cannot speak a word to me about the match we lost." Taehyung winced and dug his hands in his pockets. Was he willing to give up the highlights of his days for secret information? "Alright, fine. Just knowing that you'd give me juicy information because you can't fire back at me is good enough."

 

An hour after dinner, Taehyung was on nightwatch, like usual. It was almost time for him to switch shifts with a professor, and he was to meet Wendy and Irene at the borders of the castle to head into the Forbidden Forest together. As he hopped down the steps, he spotted Wendy and Irene sitting at a marble bench under a tree. "Alright, let's get going!" Taehyung exclaimed, and Wendy immediately shushed him. "Are you trying to get caught, ? How the did you get chosen as our Champion," Wendy scolded, ing a thick cloth onto his chest, "put this on and make sure it covers all of you at all times. If we get caught, it'll be the end for all of our social lives." Taehyung looked down at the cloak in his hands and observed it. "How about you two? Invisibility cloaks are hard to come by, aren't they?" Taehyung asked while holding out the cloak to see if it was big enough to cover him entirely. "We're using Disillunsionment Charms on each other. Now stay quiet before someone finds us," Wendy hushed, proceeding to hold her wand above Irene's head. Irene, doing the same, flicked their wands in the same direction at the same time, instantly concealing the two. Taehyung saw that as his cue to slip the cloak on, but they all had a slight problem. "Hey uh, guys, how are we gonna go into the forest together when we're all invisible?"

 

After a short but quiet argument, they all headed into the forest hand in hand -- except Irene and Taehyung. Irene refused to hold Taehyung's hand and compromised with holding his wrist instead. "You can hold my hand, Irene, we did it all the time when we were kids," Taehyung whispered, and he could hear Irene huff from in front. "Well I don't know if you've noticed, Taehyung, but we're not kids anymore."

 

"I see something," Wendy mumbled, and Irene and Taehyung stopped bickering to look up ahead. All they saw was blasts of fire and shining light along with what seemed to be the cries of creatures. As they got closer and closer to the sounds, the more they saw. The group were at a decent distance away, treading behind thick bushes. They stopped walking and kneeled to fully take in the sight that was in front of them. Huge cages housing various creatures were scattered around the area, and they could see wizards gathering around certain creatures to try and tame them into calming down. "Holy ," Irene breathed, her grip on Wendy's hand and Taehyung's wrist tightening. Taehyung was trying to take in everything, not believing that he could possibly die in the first task. "Okay there's a ghoul, acromantula, and a cockatrice. They don't seem like that bad of a foe," Wendy listed, scanning the area. "Acromantula? Those are level five creatures, Wendy. Also classified wizard killers, in case you didn't know," Irene barked, causing Wendy to roll her eyes. "Oh come on, there are specific spells to ward them off --" "Um, what's that?" Wendy and Irene turned their heads back to the forest, seeing two cages being dragged to the middle of the area.

 

"Is that a ing snake," Taehyung mumbled, almost petrified. "It's a Basilisk. It's said that anyone that looks directly in its eyes will suffer instant death." Irene shivered after she explained what the fifty-foot serpent was. "And right next to it is a Dementor. What the , anyone going up against these could die," Wendy hissed, shaking her head. "I think that's the point Wendy," Irene mumbled, "anyway. You better survive the first task, Taehyung, because you still need a Bludger to the face by me for the you put me through these past two weeks." "You fractured my head and you think I'm worried about those creatures? Please. Now if they put you in the arena instead of that Basilisk, well, then we have a problem."