Aparecium

Divided

 

Aparecium - Spell that reveals invisible ink

 

The sun was beginning to set, and the event that every Hogwarts student looked forward to since the beginning of the school year was finally here -- the arrival of the Beauxbatons and Durmstrangs. Hogwarts' Headmaster had announced at the beginning of the school year that they were to host the Triwizard Tournament. Ever since then, students got talking about who wanted to participate in the tournament and were curious about the students from the other two institutes. 

 

The Beauxbatons and Durmstrangs had arrived earlier that day; the Beauxbatons in a large, royal blue carriage pulled by winged horses, and the Durmstrangs in a magical ship that was able to travel underwater. The students were anxious to attend the feast that night, which was to welcome the new arrivals. Some were excited, but some . . . not so much.

 

"I have a Herbology lab tomorrow and the Headmaster wants to celebrate the new arrivals? Whose bright idea was it to bring back the tournament?" Irene was tutoring Wendy in the Slytherin common room, and Wendy was sulking at the fact that they had to end their studying early due to the feast. "You'll change your mind once you see those Drumstrangs," Irene chuckled, stacking up Wendy's notes and tucking them in the back of her Herbology textbook. Wendy turned her head to her and cocked an eyebrow. "That's the first time I've ever heard you talk about boys. They must be something then." Irene shrugged and leaned back against the plush seat. "My standards are pretty high. Why do you think I don't pay attention to the boys here at Hogwarts?" Irene replied, and Wendy nodded in agreement. "Alright, well these boys better meet my expectations. They've got you interested, which has got me interested."

 

"Wouldn't it be weird to see Jimin again?" Jin and Taehyung were sitting in the Gryffindor common room, awaiting the time for when they had to gather everyone for the feast. Taehyung looked up at Jin, acknowledging his question, but didn't reply. The closeness of their group of friends fell apart when they attended Hogwarts. They were all friends since childhood, but it changed when some of them were put in opposing houses. Irene, Wendy, Yoongi, and Namjoon completely changed their behavior towards their once valued friends after they were placed into Slytherin. Taehyung, being the unnamed leader of their group of friends, tried to keep everyone together, but he could only do so much. Hoseok, who was also placed in Slytherin, is the only friend in Slytherin that would still speak to everyone as if nothing was wrong. He, along with Seulgi, were the only links he had to his Slytherin friends, so he would often ask them what was going on with the other side of the group, although he wished he could ask himself. There was no convincing when it came to talking to his former friends in Slytherin -- they didn't want anything to do with him after their separation. As of Jimin, he was the only one amongst the group to not attend Hogwarts. His parents had already decided that he was to attend Durmstrang, and there was no convincing them to go to Hogwarts with the rest of his friends. He often wrote letters to everyone, but after their first year, he only kept in contact with those in Slytherin. From then on, Taehyung gave up on talking to Jimin. Truthfully, he didn't see why their house rivalry should get in the way of their friendship, but the others thought differently. He often wished that they could push it all aside and be friends again, but it wasn't that easy. People change.

 

"Yeah it would be pretty weird," Taehyung sighed, crossing his arms over his chest, "but with how Irene, Wendy, Yoongi, and Namjoon don't even talk to us the same way anymore, what's new?" Jin sighed and looked down at his hands. "I guess I just can't let go," Jin chuckled. "Oppa!" The two males looked over at the stairway leading to the girls' dorm and spotted the owner of the voice, Yeri, and her best friend Joy. "Are you gonna participate in the tournament?" Yeri exclaimed, jogging over to her peers. "Probably," Taehyung nodded, smiling. "Yah, you know it's dangerous! What if you die?" Joy warned, a hint of fear in her eyes. "Please, if I could survive Irene's wrath when we were kids, I can take the tournament." The group laughed and nodded together. 

 

As the evening sky replaced the once sunlit air, students filed into the Great Hall for the long awaited feast. As soon as all the students were seated, their Headmaster began introducing the judges for the tournament. The judges were two males who worked for the ministry. They were the ones responsible for the revival of the Triwizard Tournament, so it was obvious that they were to be amongst the panel of judges. "We also have two more judges on the panel," the Headmaster's voice boomed throughout the Great Hall, "first, starting with the Headmaster of Durmstrang, Felix Grindelwald." Almost immediately, the doors of the Great Hall opened disruptively, and a group of intimidating male students wearing fur cloaks and hats with red robes attached to the back of their cloaks, paraded through the dining hall. They were all carrying walking sticks, pounding them into the ground as they walked to the Headmaster. 

 

"Um what," Jin mumbled, "is that supposed to scare us?" Taehyung gulped and just stared in their direction. "I don't know, but I'm pretty sure most of the students are scared now," he replied.

 

As the Durmstrangs stopped beside the Hogwarts headmaster, he shook hands with Felix and turned back to the hall of students. "Secondly, Olympe Maxime," the headmaster called, and a group of female students pranced into the hall, doors open wide thanks to the Durmstrang students. As they gracefully walked to the front of the Great Hall, Wendy rolled her eyes and turned to Irene. "Complete rubbish," Wendy snickered, and Irene shook her head. "It's quite embarrassing to walk like fairies," Irene replied, raising an eyebrow at the Beauxbatons. 

 

As the Headmaster greeted Olympe, he then again turned back to the Great Hall and instructed the Durmstrangs to sit with the Slytherin table, and the Beauxbatons with the Ravenclaw table. Everyone then began to feast.

 

Jimin took the seat next to Irene, and she welcomed him with a warm hug. "It's nice to see you again, Jimin," Irene smiled happily, and he smiled back. "You too, Irene," he grinned, and nudged Wendy, Yoongi, and Namjoon, who were sitting next to Irene. "Can you teach me how to twirl your walking stick? That was pretty cool -- now I wish that my parents sent me to Durmstrang," Namjoon joked, and Jimin howled in laughter. "Someday, Namjoon," he chuckled, beginning to eat his meal.

 

"Taehyung? You okay?" Jin elbowed Taehyung's arm after noticing that he wasn't really eating. "Huh? Yeah, I'm okay," Taehyung snapped out of his thoughts and looked down at his food. Jin looked up to see what Taehyung was looking at, and found that he was staring at Irene from the Slytherin table. "What's up?" Jin asked, glancing at Taehyung before putting some food on his plate. "Is it just me or does it look like Jimin and Irene are pretty close?" Taehyung replied without looking up. Jin looked back at the pair again, and shook his head. "I just think they got closer ever since she was placed in Slytherin. You jealous?" Taehyung glared at Jin, who gave him a sheepish smile. Jin, Yeri, and Joy were the only ones that knew of Taehyung's former feelings for the now Slytherin girl. Back when they were all friends, Irene and Taehyung were the closest pair in the group. His feelings for her changed after she tossed away their friendship for her Slytherin pride, but he often felt a tinge of those feelings whenever he argued with her in the halls or during classes they shared. He felt hurt that Irene chose her house over him, but the past few years at Hogwarts, he had been trying to hint at his old, buried feelings for her. 

 

After the feast, the Headmaster revealed the Goblet of Fire, which will ultimately select the three participants for the Triwizard Tournament. He also explained the rules, the most despised one being that only seventh years were allowed to participate. Those interested in participating had until the beginning of tomorrow's Halloween feast to enter their names in the goblet. 

 

As students welcomed the new arrivals and talked to them, Taehyung and Jin sat in silence, glaring at the Durmstrangs who were surrounded by female students. "Something tells me that this year is going to be an annoying one," Taehyung looked over at Jin, who nodded. "Huh. Wonder why I feel the same."

 

Taehyung, annoyed of the screaming girls, got up for a restroom break before he had to gather the students to head back to their respective dorms. Head Boy duties were sometimes exhausting. 

 

As he exited the restroom, he glanced over at two students -- a Durmstrang and a Slytherin. Curious, he hid against a wall to eavesdrop. "Are you going to enter the tournament?" a female voice asked. "Yeah, Grindelwald chose the top ten seventh year students at Durmstrang for the tournament and we're all required to enter our names," the Durmstrang replied. "Oh . . . well you know it's dangerous. I'm just worried about you, that's all." "Cute. I didn't think you'd be the type to worry about me." "I worry because I love you, Jimin." "Don't, Irene. You don't have anything to worry about." Taehyung widened his eyes and cupped a hand over his mouth in case he gasped out loud. Jimin . . . Irene . . . was he hearing right? He peeked from behind the wall and saw Irene embracing Jimin in a hug. All this time, they were dating and had no clue.