Five

It's All His Fault!

A/N: Short update. Continues on from the previous chapter based on Episode 90. I still have no idea what I'm writing, lol. Anyway hopefully I can keep updating, although I'm supposed to be studying for exams... xD

 

They arrived late to the mission booth, and the members teased them, saying that the two should hold hands. Her lingering nervousness and worry disappeared, however, when they started to ride the Viking, and she trained all her attention on winning the game. The ride was thrilling rather than scary, and she was more bothered by Gary’s horrible guessing skills than the nausea-inducing swing of the ride.

“Daebak!” Was his guess for the answer to the question “Big catch”.

“You’re the one who’s daebak!” She screamed at him in frustration, but she laughed all the same, almost having forgotten that she was supposed to dislike Gary.

By some miracle, despite Gary’s incredible lack of talent for the trivia game, they managed to pass the mission on their second try. In a celebratory mood, Gary pulled out some bread from his VJ and offered it to her. Because she was in a good mood as well, she tore off half to share with him, and they decided to go to the nearby supermarket to eat some food before moving on to the next destination.

“I’ll buy you anything you want,” Gary teased, “if you start over with me.” She rolled her eyes but smiled. They entered the family mart and both made a beeline for the ramen. She let go immediately when their hands touched as they both reached for the spicy kimchi ramen. Gary chuckled sheepishly.

“Ah, you want ramen too?” He picked the ramen cup up and handed it to her, then took the one behind it for himself. She ignored the tingling feeling his touch left behind and reached behind for the soft boiled egg to put in her ramen. They put hot water in their cups and stood by the windows while waiting for the ramen to cook. She got the feeling that he was looking at her, and her face was starting to feel hot despite the cold weather outside.

“What?” She finally asked, but he averted his eyes and shook his head.

“Nothing.” He rubbed his hands together and blew on them, still avoiding her stare. Her eyes narrowed in suspicion.

“You’re lying.”

He made a big show of pulling out his phone and checking the time. “The ramen should be ready now.” He reached for the cups on the windowsill and handed Jihyo hers, then let out a happy sigh as he opened the lid on his cup and let the steam waft out. “Yahh…. Indeed, it’s best to have a nice cup of hot ramen when it’s cold outside.” He slurped his noodles noisily, turning to Jihyo to tell her “Hurry up and eat. We have to go soon.”

Jihyo grabbed Gary’s chopsticks from his hand. He let out a noise of protest. “Tell me!” She waved the chopsticks in the air, finally putting them behind her back childishly. He reached his arms behind her to grab at the chopsticks, and she froze as she realized he was very close to her, almost hugging her. She released the chopsticks.

Gary leaned over to catch his breath from all the laughing. “Okay, okay. Eat first, and I’ll tell you.”

She eyed him dubiously but relented, taking a bite of her own ramen. Leaning back against the window thoughtfully, he stared into his cup of noodles.

“I was just thinking… “ He paused and made eye contact with her suddenly. She stopped slurping her noodles, startled. He smiled a little. “I was just thinking… you’re alright, Mongji-ya.” And then he hurriedly downed the rest of his noodles and went out, throwing his cup in the trashcan on the way out.

You’re not too bad yourself, she found herself thinking, then hurried to join him in the car.

The rest of the day passed by in a blur of canoeing, nametag ripping, and much laughter at the guests' antics. After three hours of fishing without catching anything in the icy rain, Jihyo was surprised to find that she was still in a good mood, kept warm by the puffy jackets that she and Gary managed to secure for themselves by winning the nametag ripping game.

And so, when Gary bid her goodnight at the end of filming, she was able to honestly and happily reply, “See you next Monday.”