Nineteen

It's All His Fault!

A/N: Wow! Thanks to all the suscribers and commenters and to kellyyy_rainbow for upvoting!!! My first ever upvote! D: Thank you for all of your support.

           The next time she saw Gary was actually four days later at the airport. She’d gone to send her boyfriend, who was heading to Japan for a month for some sort of business venture, off.

           “I’ll call you when I get to the hotel,” he told her and gave her a quick kiss. Then he’d gone through customs, and she sighed and turn away. Thus would begin her life alone in their home for a month. She hated the feeling of going home alone to an empty apartment the most. Maybe she could call up Kwangsoo to hang out with her. She was about to hail a taxi and go home when she heard the loud scream of fans from the direction of the arrivals.

           Cries of “Gary-oppa!” and “Gil-oppa!” surrounded the airport. She could see the familiar slouched form of Gary as he and Gil walked towards the exit and took a step in their direction unwittingly. But then she was reminded of their fight- she couldn’t really call it a fight, but they had definitely had a conflict- the last time she saw him.

           “It’s hard to be friends with you,” he had said. Those words hurt somehow, even if she was the one who had pushed him away in the first place. She watched from a distance as Gary and Gil made their way across the airport, stopping along the way to give signatures and take pictures here and there. It had been a long time since she had actually hung out with Gary or talked to him, and he’d stopped texting her, too. She had been the one who only replied back with terse, one word answers, if she replied at all. She had been the one who had put back the boundaries between them. So why did she feel like she was the one who had been wronged? She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. She wasn’t in the right mind at the moment. Maybe she should just go back home to sleep.

           Just then, she saw Gary turn around to look in her direction. She froze. Did he see her? He stared for a long time, and she could have sworn that he made eye contact with her. It was like time froze around them; just her and him, looking at each other from across the airport. But then Gary turned back around and resumed his exit, as if nothing had happened. Jihyo continued to stand where she was, in shock. How embarrassing! She thought to herself, tugging down her beanie to cover her forehead. If he had seen her, he might have thought she was stalking him again or something. Hopefully he hadn’t known it was actually her, she hoped as she crossed to the other side of the airport towards the carpark. She was, after all, wearing a sort of a disguise so she wouldn’t get caught out with her boyfriend: a sweatsuit that she’d never worn in the presence of anyone outside the house, a puffy, unflattering coat on top, sunglasses, and an old black beanie, not the red one she wore to go traveling. Yes, hopefully he didn’t notice.

           But if he did notice, she mused, exiting the sliding glass doors of the airport, then why didn’t he acknowledge her? He could have given a wave or something.

           That’s a stupid thought, she scolded herself. Did you want to attract attention to yourself? They’d land themselves in a scandal just ten minutes after she sent her boyfriend off to Japan. She shook her head at her foolishness. Perhaps she really needed a good nap to snap herself out of it.

           She had almost made it to the elevator when someone called her name.

           “Jihyo, wait!” She turned around to see Gary running after her. She hurriedly glanced around to see if anyone had noticed, or if anyone had followed after him, but thankfully, the first floor of the carpark was relatively empty in the morning, save for the one guy who gave them a disinterested look before getting into his car and driving off. She waited for Gary to catch up to her, and when he did, he leaned over, hands on knees, panting heavily.

           “Yah!” she whisper-screamed. “How could you just call my name out like that? Do you want to get into a scandal?”

           Gary straightened up and shrugged, pulling off his cap to scratch his head. “Well, no… I made sure that no one was following me. I just thought that we need to talk,” he explained, the brim of his cap. She sighed and leaned forward to press the elevator button. The elevator dinged, and she stepped through its open doors. Gary didn’t move and stood where he was and watched her sheepishly, cap in hands. Her mind told her to just let the doors slide shut and leave him standing there, but somehow, she couldn’t do it. So she pressed the button to open the doors once again and looked at him expectantly.

           “Well, are you going to come in?”

           The silly smile he gave her as he stepped into the elevator made her stomach feel funny, and her brain warned her that she was probably making a big mistake.