Twenty

It's All His Fault!

A/N: Double update fer you guys! :D as a present for upvoting my story and being such diligent readers. I was actually writing this chapter just as one reader commented that the previous chappie was a bit short. I just try to find good places to stop chapters. No worries. Here's your second update of the day! Enjoy!

          Jihyo had driven them to a coffee shop that she frequented, and while she waited for Gary to get their drinks (a caramel macchiato for him, and an Americano for her, of course), she whipped out her cellphone to text Kwangsoo.

          Yah Girin. Help. Urgent. It’s an emergency.

          His reply was immediate. What’s wrong noona? Where are you? I’m calling!

          She rolled her eyes and rejected his call that came in a few seconds later. Not that kind of emergency. I’m in a cafe alone with Mr. You-Know-Who for the first time since we had a fight, and I don’t know what to do. I don’t even know why I agreed to come!!!

          Kwangsoo’s reply came, followed by a winking face emoticon. Who’s Mr. You-Know-Who? He teased. She let out a frustrated sound and glanced up at Gary, who was still standing in line in front of the counter.

          Yah, Lee Kwang Soo, I don’t have time for your games right now. It’s almost his turn in line, and then he’ll be back here.

          Who? Was the reply. Jihyo refrained from hitting her head on the glass table in front of her.

          KANG GARY.

          Ahh, Gary-hyung? You should have just said that in the first place. Jihyo fumed, so done with that giraffe, when his next text buzzed in.

          You were fighting with Gary-hyung? Why?

          It wasn’t really a fight, okay. I just kind of ignored him and avoided him as much as possible because my bf kind of said something about being jealous of him and I felt like maybe I WAS getting too close to him, so I kind of pushed him away, and then he said something about it being hard to be my friend, since I keep on changing my mind. Or something like that.

          It IS hard to be your friend. She rolled her eyes skyward for the umpteenth time before continuing to read the text. Anyway it sounds like it’s your fault. Everything was normal and then you just up and decided to give him the cold shoulder.

          Yeah, she griped. I know. As she waited for Kwangsoo to reply, she glanced in Gary’s direction. His turn to place an order had arrived, and he was leaning against the counter patiently, waiting for the baristas to finish making the coffee. So what should I do?

          Apologize. Be honest with him.

          And then what?

          And then continue to be friends with him! You DO still want to be friends with him, right? You guys seemed to be getting along until recently.

          She noticed that Gary was heading back to where she was sitting, balancing the two cups and a box containing a pastry, maybe, and hurriedly texted Kwangsoo.

          Yes. But I can’t!

          What do you mean you can’t? Yah, you know, if you feel guilty about hanging out with him, that means that something’s really up.

          …..Whatever. Some help you were. He’s coming back. Gotta go.

          Noona, just treat him like you treat me. You know? Unless there really IS something going on, you have no need to feel guilt. Just be comfortable. Fighting!

          She took a deep breath and looked up to smile uncomfortably at Gary, who set the food down on the table and took a seat. Gary motioned towards the food.

          “I got your Americano, and some apple strudel.”

          “Thanks,” she replied. There was a pause, and they just sat there, looking into their cups of coffee.

          Apologize. Kwangsoo’s words rang out in her head like a conscience. Be honest with him.

          “I’m sorry,” they said at the same time. They smiled sheepishly at each other.

          “You first,” Jihyo told him. Gary pulled off his cap and began playing with the brim again.

          “I’m sorry that I said those words last time. They were hurtful, and it wasn’t fair of me. You must have had some...difficulty I don’t know about. It wasn’t fair of me to get angry at you for that when I myself don’t like to let everyone know when I have a problem, when I shut myself away from everyone sometimes too. So, I’m sorry,” he finished. She smiled at him.

          “It’s okay. It’s not your fault.” She took a deep breath. “I’m sorry for, as you said, shutting you out all of a sudden… I wasn’t being a very good friend. I…” she hesitated. He looked at her expectantly. “I was afraid,” she admitted.

          “Of me?” he asked incredulously. “Afraid I’ll steal away all of your fans by my ridiculously good looks and intelligence, you mean,” he joked, probably trying to put her at ease, just like he had been doing over all these years of Running Man. She rolled her eyes, though secretly she was a little touched by how, even now, he was still trying to help her out in that way.

          “Sure, oppa. You and your, um, good looks and intelligence. So scary.” She bit her lip. Be honest. “I was afraid of getting too close to you and having to open up to you and stuff. But I know that you’ve just been trying to be friends with me, as you said you would, and I haven’t done my part to befriend you in return. I’m sorry. It’s just really hard for me to open up to people.” Embarrassed, she looked down at her lap. When she felt brave enough to peek up at him, she noticed that he was smiling.

          “You know, we can start off with the small things.” Gary said. She frowned.

          “What?”

          “Like, what’s your favorite color?” he asked her.

          “Pink,” she replied with a confused expression on her face. Then she realized that this was the way they could slowly start getting to know each other better, as childish and lame as it was. She bit her lip to keep from laughing. “Um, what about you?”

          “Guess,” he told her childishly, taking a sip of his caramel macchiato.

          “Umm, black?” She tried. It was pretty much the only color he wore anyway..

          “It’s actually blue.”

          “Really?” She squinted her eyes, trying to imagine it.

          “Really. Now it’s your turn to ask a question.”

          She laughed. “Are we really doing this?” He nodded. She pretended to sigh in exasperation. “Okay. What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?”

          They continued in that vein for the rest of the morning, and as they went on, she was able to open up to him maybe a little bit more. And it wasn’t that bad after all.