Sixteen

It's All His Fault!

A/N: Hey guys! Extra long update since I'm going on a trip for five days >_< (Edited this chappie again, since I reread it and found out that I inserted Haha after Haha left xDDD i finished that chapter in the middle of the night, so forgive my messed up state of mind. I'm back guyz! I'll update tomorrow :DD)

  

           Morning came, and Jihyo arrived bright and early to SBS. Jaesuk and Sukjin were already there, and she rushed to meet up with them.

           “Oh, Miss Mong, wasseo?” Jaesuk asked, smiling, though the twinkle that was usually in his eye was not there. She felt a little saddened to see how the stress and worry of having not just one, but two of his coworkers on the two different shows missing had taken a toll on him. “Let’s go inside.”

           While they were walking in, Sukjin was vigorously texting into his phone. “Kwangsoo says he’s on the way,” he informed them. “Jongkook picked Haha up, even though he seemed a little reluctant to come, and then they’ll be here in maybe fifteen.”

           “Good, good,” Jaesuk said as they found seats in the coffee shop at the front, waiting for everyone else to arrive. He turned to Jihyo, though he seemed a bit distracted. “What do you want to drink, Miss Mong? Americano?” His eyes kept darting towards the entrance of the building nervously.

           Jihyo patted his arm, trying to reassure him. “Oppa. I’ll order for you and Sukjin oppa.” She asked Sukjin what kind of coffee he wanted, then stood up to order for the three of them. While she waited for the cashier to give her change, she looked back worriedly at Jaesuk, who was still looking around restlessly, and at Sukjin who was the exact opposite of Jaesuk, sitting as still as a stone and staring off into the distance with a frown on his face.

           Jihyo took the buzzer and sat down next to Jaesuk. “Oppa,” she leaned in to whisper. “It will be okay. Don’t worry too much.”

           He patted her hand gratefully and smiled, but the smile looked a little forced to her. “Thank you, Jihyo -ah.” Then he continued to look around worriedly. Calm and collected and experienced Jaesuk, worried? That was not a good sign. Jaesuk was the one whom everyone, including the PDs, turned to for help. He always knew the solution to every problem. But if even he was unsettled by the whole situation now…. That probably did not bode well for them. She sighed and was glad when the buzzer for their drinks rang off. By the time she had returned to the table with their drinks, Sukjin finally spoke up.

          “Ani…” Sukjin began, leaning forward to steeple his hands on the table. “I still don’t understand. Why does Gary have to quit doing variety just because a concert got canceled? It doesn’t even have anything to do with him. How does Infinity Challenge’s concert,” he said, motioning with his hands, “relate to Gary doing Running Man?”

           “That’s what we all want to know, hyung,” Kwangsoo commented, having finally arrived. He slid into the seat next to Sukjin and stole some of his coffee.

           Jaesuk rubbed his temples tiredly. “He just feels responsible, since Leessang was the one hosting the concert. Since there was a negative reaction from the fans because of the cancellation, he might think that the negativity will continue over to his role on Running Man. He probably thinks he’s doing everyone a favor by leaving so that ratings won’t go down. And I guess the pressure from having to balance both his character on the show and his image as a rapper has a lot to do with it. Gary’s had a really rough time, honestly. But I just wish he’d confront us about it and ask us for help rather than just up and quit like that.”

           Jihyo looked down at her Americano, feeling slightly ashamed. Gil had talked about some of Gary’s troubles in regards to the show before, but somehow they’d failed to detect how seriously Gary had been struggling before he was pushed to his limit. Then she frowned. But how would we know if he doesn’t ever say anything about it or show it? We’re not mind readers. Kang Gary indeed was such a noble idiot who hated to burden anyone with his problems, she thought grumpily. But weren’t they all like that, hiding everything behind a smile? She herself didn’t even acknowledge Gary and open up to him until he had made the first move to get to know her. They slapped a grin on their face every week, joking and laughing on the outside but letting bitterness, worry, and loneliness simmer on the inside. She herself had considered quitting Running Man several times. What would she do if she had, like Gary now, been pushed to her limit?

           In the meantime, Jongkook arrived with Haha in tow, though Haha wore an extremely resentful look underneath the sunglasses he donned. After greeting each other halfheartedly, they all sat in silence. Then Kwangsoo asked the question that everyone was thinking but was too afraid to ask..

          “Do you think,” he hesitated, biting his lip. “Do you think that Running Man will be canceled?”

           “Ei, why would you even ask such a question? Psht.” Jongkook replied, smacking Kwangsoo lightly on the head.

           Jaesuk smiled and patted Kwangsoo’s shoulder. “Don’t you worry. I don’t think it will get canceled. Especially not if Gary decides to continue being on the show, which I’m sure he will, ultimately.”

           “If Gary-hyung’s not on the show, I don’t want to do Running Man,” Haha suddenly announced, shocking all of them. “I also don’t want to do Infinity Challenge if Gil-hyung leaves.”

           “Haha-ya, don’t be like that. That’s unprofessional,” Jaesuk tried to reason. “Come on. I’m pretty sure that they won’t leave. Also, I didn’t want to mention this, but we’ve experienced members having to leave before-”

           “That was before,” Haha cut in. “With Joongki, it was hard enough, but that was before we became a really tight-knit family. And Joongki left on a happy note. If Gil and Gary leave like this, on such a sour note, not only will they probably never return to visit on the show, but chances are, we won’t even have that friendship outside of filming anymore.” He looked a little like he might cry behind his shades, and Jihyo felt worse.

           “Haha-ya..” Jaesuk began again, but then a worker came to inform them that Gary had arrived and that the conference would begin. The members were ushered to a large, professional looking room with an oval table. As she took her seat in between Jaesuk and Sukjin on the right side of the table, she let her eyes travel around her surroundings. The room was cold and unfriendly-looking, with bare, whitewashed walls, harsh lighting, and a dark gray carpet. Even the table they sat at was painted a dreary black. She watched the usually jolly PDs an scriptwriters as they talked to each other in hushed, worried whispers. Beside her, Jaesuk kept jittering his leg nervously, and Jihyo began to feel rather unnerved herself.

           Suddenly, the doors opened, and Gary entered, wearing his usual dark shades and black clothing, though somehow today the attire made him look just as unfriendly and cold as the room. He took a seat at the head of the table, and the head PD began the meeting.

           “Gary-ssi, we understand that you would like to quit being a part of this program.” He looked over at Gary, who nodded. The PD took a deep breath before continuing. “We fully understand your reasons for choosing to do so, and will certainly respect your decision. However, before you do make your final decision, we would like to perhaps voice some reasons that might convince you to do otherwise.”

           “I’m afraid my decision is quite final,” Gary replied seriously. “I have enjoyed being part of this show, and I’m sure it will continue to be a success. However, that shall have to happen without me.”

           “I would implore you to consider the fans of the show,” the PD tried. “It would be a great disappointment to them if you left.”

           Gary nodded. “I feel sorry to them too, but this is a personal decision, and I cannot please everyone.”

           “It would also be difficult to continue the show without you, due to the loss of fans and also a shift in the writing and dynamic of the show should you leave,” the PD added.

           Again, he nodded. “Yes… I’m very sorry about that as well…” He bowed his head slightly. “But I’m sure the show can bounce back with no problem. I have confidence in everyone’s ability.”

           The PD nodded, and then, looking rather uncomfortable, pushed a folder forward in Gary’s direction. “I didn’t want to bring this up, but... that’s the contract that you signed with us. It has not yet reached its expiration date. It would be in everyone’s best interest if you at least wait out the expiration date. There is…. A fee…. Should the contract be broken.”

           The room held its breath while Gary picked up the folder to look at its contents. Then he nodded. “It’s okay. I can pay the fine. I’m sorry, but nothing is going to change my mind about this. I’ve already made my decision.”

           The PD bowed his head. “Then…. Then I have nothing left to say. We shall have to respect your decision, Gary-ssi.”

           No, Jihyo wanted to shout as Gary stood up to shake the PD’s hand and leave. But someone beat her to it.

           “You stop right there, Kang Gary,” said Haha, standing up slowly. His voice was shaking. “You stop. You think you can just leave like this? Have you forgotten it all, or are you just going to completely disregard what’s most important? What about us?” He motioned vigorously at the members. “Do we not matter anymore or what? Were those two years of fighting it out together, building Running Man up to where it is now from scratch, going through all those hardships of injuries, worries, and hard work all for nothing? You’re going to let it all go,” he continued, voice rising, “forgotten, to waste, like THIS!?”

           Gary’s face crumpled a little bit, but he caught himself and his heel to leave.

          “Hey! Hey! You come back here!” Haha shouted as Gary walked out the door. Jongkook tugged his arms back, trying to prevent him from running out after him. The rest of them sat in stunned silence for a while, watching Haha fight against Jongkook’s restraints. She looked over at Jaesuk, who looked more tired than ever, trying to calm Haha down. She noticed the PDs who were resting their heads on their hands dejectedly. She saw Kwangsoo almost in tears, whispering to a confused Sukjin who talked more than ever out of worry. And then her worry and confusion went away, and she was just plain mad. Before she even knew what she was doing, she slipped out of the room, sprinted down the hall, and caught Gary’s arm just as he had crossed half of the main threshold, spinning him around to face her. He looked shocked to see her. She noticed tear streaks on his face under his sunglasses, and she just felt madder.

           “Jihyo-ya,” he cried. “What are you doing?”

           “No, what are you doing?” She shouted, ignoring the concerned stares from the workers in the area around them. “You think you’re doing everyone a favor by leaving, but the thing is, you aren’t doing a shred of good. I’m tired of seeing calm and controlled Jaesuk-oppa being uncharacteristically nervous and worried like that; I’m sick of seeing Kwangsoo’s eyes well up in tears; I’m sick of watching the usually happy Haha so upset and worked up. I’m tired of worrying and worrying myself. I’m tired of it all. And you might take a look at yourself,” she continued angrily, unable to stop. “Because even you’re crying! You yourself don’t want to do this. It’s hurting you as well. So stop acting like you’re above all of this! Stop trying to sacrifice yourself for the sake of the show or whatever. We all have worries, okay. We all have problems. But you know what?” She lowered her voice a little, feeling a tad calmer. The other members had come out by now and were quietly watching the scene unfold curiously. “That’s okay. Because we’re family. Just like you told me before, we’re like family. And family is there for you when you feel unsure, when you have troubles like this. We’re here to help you, Kang Gary. Just ask. We can all get through this. Together.”

           Gary just stared at her without saying anything. She watched his face carefully while she tried to catch her breath from her long rant and could have sworn that he was about to give in and agree. But instead he just brushed past her and exited the building as if she had never said a word.    

           The members just stood where they were, watching him go in shocked silence, then Haha cleared his throat. “Well, I guess that means that we’re done here. It’s official. We just lost a member of Running Man.” He tried to sound nonchalant about it, but his voice cracked, giving him away. He cleared his throat again and stomped off in the direction of the parking lot. The rest of them stayed still, not wanting to move.

           It was Sukjin who shook himself out of his reverie first. “Well, I guess there’s no point in staying around here.” No one moved. He tried again. “Come on, Suk-ah,” he motioned to Jaesuk. “Don’t you have to hurry on down to MBC so you can discuss with Gil about Infinity Challenge? Kwangsoo-ya, you have a commercial to film. Go on.” The two finally moved to exit the building, albeit reluctantly. Sukjin looked at Jihyo and Jongkook and sighed.

           “We should leave too,” he said. “Go home, get some rest. Kook-ah, don’t you have to film tomorrow? You should get ready for that. You too, Jihyo. It’s been tiring. Go home and relax.”

           So she obeyed, going home and preparing to give herself a pedicure and a facial to take her mind off the worry and the hurt from Gary shunning her. She found an old movie on Netflix and settled herself on the comfortable couch to watch it. After that, she checked her schedule for the rest of the week, made herself a salad for lunch, and read scripts for upcoming dramas. But the more she sat trying to keep herself occupied, the more she kept thinking about Gary’s situation, and the more restless she felt.

           Finally, by evening, she decided that she couldn’t stand it anymore. She hailed a taxi.

           “Where to?” The driver asked. She told him the address of Gary’s company. Maybe it is not time, she thought to herself, to give up just yet.